PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Grand-Prix GTP -- Opinions?

Fluidic
06-29-2002, 01:58 AM
So... you tell me? 3800 series V6 Pontiac Engine – 240HP – 280 Torque

Pretty extraordinary numbers if you ask me! Anyone here own a newer Pontiac GTP? Anyone have pictures of these beasts??

Cool... peace!!

Peter

Mortimer Schnur
06-29-2002, 02:16 AM
If you're looking at domestics, check out the Grand Am GT. Even the SEs are really quick.

Fluidic
06-29-2002, 02:21 AM
I'm not looking -- far from it actually -- just interested that's all!

The 2-Door Grand-Prix's somewhat appeal to me... there styling is quite exceptional... and their engines... well... DAMN! LOL

Peace

B18C
06-29-2002, 02:32 AM
I really like the GTP's. I think they are a great car. Good clean styling, and ample power. :)

RX-7_TWINTURBO
06-29-2002, 03:24 AM
my mother has a silver 99 gtp fully loaded
its a beast !!!:hitit:

Weapon_R
06-29-2002, 04:18 AM
My uncle has a 2 dr 2002 GTP - the things are amazing! What a beast!

4wheeldrift
06-29-2002, 07:27 AM
They're pretty good cars. Aside from the fact that they are pretty heavy, they're one of the better cars pontiac produces. They're one of the most reliable cars in GMs lineup, they go like stink, stop reasonably well and handle fairly well too. Only real complaint I ever see leveled against them is the kind of plasticy interiors.

If you want some more information on the GTP, check out The GTP Owners Club (http://gtpworld.hypermart.net/)

RGAGT
06-29-2002, 07:36 AM
There a Nice Car But For a 3.8 Supercharged engine and only putting out 240 hp For the 3800lbs of Weight and no Manual transmission :dunno: Like Some one Else Said look at a GA you can get a supercharger for it that will boost horse power to 250 and it only weights 3100lbs :D Still no manual avalible:( But hey GM is bringing back the GTO (Monadeo) Think I spelt that right :D :dunno:

redec
06-29-2002, 08:43 AM
I own a 97 GTP, I love it.....I have the 4-door, so it's a bigger car...you get a little body-roll when cornering hard, but that's to be expected. Only thing I've done to it is I put a smaller supercharger pulley on it....pops it up to around 270hp.....I love it

B18C
06-29-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by redec
I own a 97 GTP, I love it.....I have the 4-door, so it's a bigger car...you get a little body-roll when cornering hard, but that's to be expected. Only thing I've done to it is I put a smaller supercharger pulley on it....pops it up to around 270hp.....I love it

How many cars do you have?!?

redline_13000
06-29-2002, 11:54 AM
shit u got 30hp with just a s/c pulley?

rx-7heaven
06-29-2002, 12:08 PM
my dad bought a grand prix gt last year, and really wishes he had gone for the gtp. they're pretty nice cars, but the interior pieces resemble lego...:thumbsdow

RiceCake
06-29-2002, 02:46 PM

:guns: high rollers... hahaha j/k :nut: :D

Clem
06-29-2002, 05:35 PM
My buddy has an 02 GTP with a CAI on it. Fast machines.

Fluidic
06-29-2002, 05:46 PM
What "poundage" ( :confused: ) of boost are the chargers on the GTP's making?

Peter

T5_X
06-29-2002, 06:57 PM
pontiac: built for drivers....... yet very little of thier cars are offered with a standard transmission :confused:

These are probably the last standard pushrod engines available?

What other cars (not trucks) other than GMs can you buy brand new with a 2 valve/cyl pushrod?

The GTPs are damn nice looking cars, I like the grand am gt styling as well. Pontiac is weird, they have such nice looking cars on one end (trans am, gtp, boneville ssei) and such grotesque styling on the other end (vibe, sunfire, aztek)

GP_DrIvEr
06-29-2002, 08:01 PM
GRAND PRIX'S RULE!!!

:( i only wish i had the GTP lol... i've driven a GTP and they DEFINITELY can handle their own

ranger is right though the downside is the auto tranny but the GTP's do come with a performance shift button (you press it before the auto shift and it will shift, hold it down and it will go past the auto shift)

and man im somewhat new to this forum but where were all of you when i was getting trashed by almost every albertacars.net member when i told them i bought my car!!

they also base their advertising on the Wide Track
body for better handling.. it does handle pretty well... after you install some lowering springs and new struts it should handle amazingly (i'll be able to comment on that in a couple of weeks)
:guns: :guns: :guns: :bigpimp:

4wheeldrift
06-29-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by GP_DrIvEr
and man im somewhat new to this forum but where were all of you when i was getting trashed by almost every albertacars.net member when i told them i bought my car!!

Probably here avoiding that kind of thing :confused:

Fluidic
06-29-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by GP_DrIvEr
i was getting trashed by almost every albertacars.net member when i told them i bought my car!!

albertacars..... need I say more!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh well... that's all in the past... we love your car... !!! :)

Peace

James
06-30-2002, 05:43 AM
Looks like everybody loves GTP's!:dunno: I hate how Grand Am's and Grand Prix's, are such nice looking cars on the outside, and the perform pretty well, but look like absolute ASS! on the inside:bullshit:, And whats with thier slogun, " Built for drivers"?? like someone else said, very few of thier cars have Std tranny's, and they are hideuos to look at on the inside! :thumbsdow

rx-7heaven
06-30-2002, 11:37 AM
well "built for drivers" has SOME meaning to it. my dad's got heated seats. well actually, hidden seaT...only on the driver's side will you get a toasty ass in the winter...

redec
07-02-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by B18C

How many cars do you have?!?

just the 2.....97 Grand Prix GTP, and 95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD...

Originally posted by B18C

...but look like absolute ASS! on the inside

I disagree.....I think they look alot better than most cars on the inside (unless of course you're comparing to MB or Cadillac)

Redlyne_mr2
07-02-2002, 10:38 AM
Fuck those cars are crap, and yah they do look like ass on the inside, almost like they were designed by the guys who built the interior of the starship enterprise only this time they were on crack:thumbsdow. The cars lines are dag nasty and they arent even that quick:barf: I dont know why pontiacs are all so ugly...do you???

HRD2PLZ
07-02-2002, 12:11 PM
I think most north american cars have tons of cheap looking plastic in them. I actually didn't mind the interiors on the GP's. I was looking at one last year (99 GTP) but then my dad decided to go anti-domestic so I had to follow suit :dunno:

4wheeldrift
07-02-2002, 12:13 PM
The interior in the grand prix is paradise compared to teh Cougar *shudders* man, that was one nasty interior. So cheap looking.

Redlyne_mr2
07-02-2002, 12:21 PM
they're all fucking cheap lookig:thumbsdow

Weapon_R
07-02-2002, 12:26 PM
I think their interiors look very good actually - definately much nicer than most of the gayass pontiacs with supersized buttons - even the corvette interior looks gay imo. But they are definately improving, so good things should come sooner or later...the GTP's interior is definately a step up above the older Pontiacs thats for sure.

bosa
11-24-2002, 12:23 PM
Grand Prix's are such beasts!

benyl
11-24-2002, 06:24 PM
I heard that the trannies can't handle more than the horse power they have... I guess that a lot have failed when people mod them... I could be wrong though. Maybe it was the bonnevilles.

B

GTS Jeff
11-24-2002, 07:06 PM
it IS powerful...but drive one...

when i drove one it was horrible, it felt so unrefined and the engine was quite rough....raucous is the word i think

RiCE-DaDDy
11-24-2002, 10:43 PM
they can hang and beat TL-S's

GTS Jeff
11-24-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
they can hang and beat TL-S's only cuz u cant drive man!! u bring shame to the acura family

James
11-25-2002, 04:52 AM
Holy shit, 5 month old thread, brought up for this comment:confused:

Originally posted by civicLVR
Grand Prix's are such beasts!

Toms-Celica
11-25-2002, 08:20 AM
lol

mwmhong
11-25-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think their interiors look very good actually - definately much nicer than most of the gayass pontiacs with supersized buttons - even the corvette interior looks gay imo. But they are definately improving, so good things should come sooner or later...the GTP's interior is definately a step up above the older Pontiacs thats for sure.

Couldn't have said it better, you are dead on about the Corvette interior.

As for the Pontiacs, yes, they made all the buttons and knobs super-chunky light grey on a black background, it looks and feels almost toy-like, and for some reason makes me really nauseous to look at. :nut:
But the cars have good torque off the line and look very nice without all that cladding.

HillBilly
11-25-2002, 09:43 AM

just the 2.....97 Grand Prix GTP, and 95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD...

I disagree.....I think they look alot better than most cars on the inside (unless of course you're comparing to MB or Cadillac)

I figured you would be all over this thread.

Aleks
11-25-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Mortimer Schnur
If you're looking at domestics, check out the Grand Am GT. Even the SEs are really quick.

3.4 L "Ram Air" V6 and 175hp (if memory serves me right) no manual transmission. I think that's not that great a number for such a big engine.

benyl
11-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by altima

3.4 L "Ram Air" V6 and 175hp (if memory serves me right) no manual transmission. I think that's not that great a number for such a big engine.

Ah yes, but it has 200 lb/ft of torque... seems better than my accord...

If you look on http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/pontiac/grandam/grna_details.html you will see that it get unbelievable gas milage! Way better than what my accord gets... WTF?

I don't think that the ram air does shit.... 5 hp for ram air??? What is the point?

RGAGT
11-25-2002, 11:08 AM
Yes 175hp For a 3.4 v6 is weak but typical Gm They Group everything close together and the lower model can't out perform the upper model. The GrandPrix Holds back the Grandam and the Firebird use to hold back the Grandprix.

Grandprix supercharged 3.8 240hp
Grandam 3.4 175hp but 500lbs lighter

Now as for the Interior of the GA's I didn't like them when they first came out reminded me of the Batmobile. But I love the looks now and I do drive one and love it . The only Two things ok Three things I would change is have more supportive seats for driving , a 5spd or 6spd and more power.

The One nice Thing a bout The GA is it will be a Project car with lots of fabrication to improve performance instead of just bolts on like the imports

GTS Jeff
11-25-2002, 05:14 PM
but who cares about the numbers? the engine still feels liek shit to the driver...driving a gtp gave me the feeling that the engine had no oil...

finboy
11-25-2002, 05:26 PM
i'm not a big fan of gm's interiors, really cheap.

as for the gtp, i tried to get beside one in my daytona to get a benchmark, but i couldn't get through the damn traffic that boxed me in.

i don't know how quick it is, but i have driven a 3.4 DOHC montecarlo.

damn boat like, and i wasn't to impressed with it. but it did start to pick a little in the upper rpm's. still, auto tranny, cushy suspension, crappy interior, no good.

300rwhp
11-25-2002, 06:33 PM
redec said he got 30hp from putting SMALLER pully o the supercharcher? that sounds alittle retarded to me considering in order to overdrive the pully you put on a LARGER pully!
this story sounds like:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:
if you did install an OVERDRIVE pully im not sure if oyu could get that big of an increase.

ps; gm interiors look like they should be in apowerwheels car or something, and the grand prix enginge is not very impressive considering its displacement and the capabilities of a supercharger.

HillBilly
11-26-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
redec said he got 30hp from putting SMALLER pully o the supercharcher? that sounds alittle retarded to me considering in order to overdrive the pully you put on a LARGER pully!
if you did install an OVERDRIVE pully im not sure if oyu could get that big of an increase.

ps; gm interiors look like they should be in apowerwheels car or something, and the grand prix enginge is not very impressive considering its displacement and the capabilities of a supercharger.

See pic please.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-26-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T

See pic please.

I was thinkin the exact same thing

Oh and my mother owns a Fully loaded 98 GTP
i agree that some of the interior is ugly ...Mainly all the Ghey buttons but besides that it's not bad (If you get the Leather)
I also find that the build quality is Lacking in some areas
but overall the car is pretty damn fast and the engine seems to be pretty smooth from what i can tell.....

i think she's planning on getting rid of it and buying somthing a little more Imported:D

redec
11-26-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 300rwhp

do some research before you start waving the :bullshit: flag there buddy

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-26-2002, 12:18 PM
http://members.albertacars.net/rx7twinturbo/assclown.jpg

300rwhp
11-27-2002, 01:26 AM
I could be wrong , the reason I came to the conclusion that you would need a larger pully is because I underived my alternator with an aftermarket puly kit. the purpose of the kit is to have a smaller pully on the alternator so that it draws less power from the engine. after doing this the amps constantly sit very low because the alternator is not generating as much power.

Toms-Celica
11-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Hahaha, Hey Digital, My Bird (1991) is making 215 HP and 315 Torque from a stock V6 3.8L Superchaged engine. With less then $5000 you can be running high 13's no problem at all. :clap:

three.eighteen.
11-27-2002, 03:34 PM
the purpose of the smaller pulley is to have less force wasted on turning the alternator, thus freeing crank hp, in the case of an sc...you want that to spin faster = more boost...smaller pully makes sc spin more revs per revs inputted, larger pully makes sc spin less

kc_genki
11-29-2002, 02:00 PM
i own the GT model.. 200 hp 225 torque. Its a great car once u do a few handling mods so it doesnt feel so soft.

wiht a few mods you can get yoru GTP fast for cheap. We have a few guys in our club who are running low 14's with jsut exhaust, 3.25 pulley and intake. Convert that down to sealevel #'s and they are in the high 13's....

Then there are guys in the states who go all out, some of htem are in the 12's. Lots of mod's have become available since around 2000...

check out these sites:

www.gp-owners.com (main gp site)
abcgp.clubgp.com (alberta club site) -im the admin :)

OH.. someone mentioned that the GTP weighs 3800lbs? its more like 3400lbs, depending on options...

BlownGSX
12-18-2002, 02:28 PM
The 3800 is a great engine. Its not high tech like a Honda /w your VTEC and all, but its super easy to mod. With $3000, you can have your Grand Prix, or what ever other W-body itching deep in to the 13's. I have a 3.4 s/c pulley, CAI, ported & polished exhaust manifolds, an TB, colder t-stat, 2.5 cat-back exhaust, and i run a 13.7.

Rockers, DHP PCM, limited slip diff, and an IC, I could see a 13.0. Not to bad for a low tech, boat.

The fastest GP is running 11.7, and thats no bottle either. My friend here is just finsihing up his custom turbo and IC for his N/A 3800, and will be the first turbo GP in North America. He is aiming for low 12's.

redec
12-18-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by BlownGSX

My friend here is just finsihing up his custom turbo and IC for his N/A 3800, and will be the first turbo GP in North America. He is aiming for low 12's.

sweet shit :hitit: .....where is he located?

welcome to the boards btw...

BlownGSX
12-18-2002, 02:42 PM
We are both in Winnipeg. I just browsing the board here, I see that its mainly a Calgary board, but interesting none the less... :D

350hp_or_Bust
12-18-2002, 03:07 PM
<--------------- has turbo envy. My buddy has a GTP w/3.4pulley, CAI, and underdrive pulleys.. mops the floor with our other buddy's WRX all day every day. WRX is bone stock though mind you.

BlueNoteGP
12-18-2002, 03:24 PM
The GP can be made a very quik car, there are ones at ClubGp.Com that are doing 11's, this is with a full interior!! Myself I drive a 1998 GP with a custom Turbo install done too it, got the Turbo out of a Grand National. Havn't run it yet and hope to do so in the spring.