PDA

View Full Version : Parking near U of C

DEREK57
09-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Im sick of paying even $3.75 everyday...so whats a good place to park for free? I was thinking of parking in Brentwood, but Im afraid of getting towed. Anyone have any experience with this?

YCB
09-11-2005, 02:39 PM
i think everyone has their own "secret" parkin spot, the only one that people know about is by the church across crowchild... then u can walk across the train station...

t-im
09-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Pay $120 (I think) per year and park at the Stadium, and take the 15 min. walk.

sabad66
09-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Why can't you park at Brentwood? Haha i'm first year and i've been parking there for the orientation days and I didn't know they would tow you. On what grounds would they have to tow you?

b_t
09-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Park at Brentwood and I will kill you myself.
I actually use that train, and getting there and having no parking space because of all the U of C students trekking it pisses me right off.
They have guys watch the parking lot for people who get out of their cars and then head away from the train station. Grounds for towing? Parking somewhere and not using the C-Train. There are "C-train customer parking only" signs all over the place.

benyl
09-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Why can't you park at Brentwood? Haha i'm first year and i've been parking there for the orientation days and I didn't know they would tow you. On what grounds would they have to tow you?

It is private property. They will tow you at your expense.

Evro
09-11-2005, 04:00 PM
shit i hate parking for u of c, ive been parking at brentwood too, but now that orinetation thing is over i guess maybe i should look into a parking pass - paying the 600 beats having to pay for your car getting towed and impounded

heinz256
09-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Isnt there a waiting list for parking at UofC which is like 3-4 years and the mcmahon parking is already sold out....I heard ppl were lining up at 5:30 in the morning to get parking passes and there were well over 1000 people in line....but correct me if im wrong.

Zero102
09-11-2005, 06:05 PM
McMahon was still not sold out part-way through last year when I looked into it. I have a parking pass for lot 12. It's pretty convenient, and I get a plug-in in the winter, it's all good.
They have been ticketing and towing like mad at Brentwood. They are paying people to watch which way everybody goes when they get out of their car, if they go for the university, or rather not to a train/bus stop, they will get ticketed.
Plus, how fair is that to everybody who has to take the train to work?
It's unfortunate, but the university has it made parking-wise. There are only a couple spots to park for free, and the people who know about it keep those secrets guarded with their lives.

n00bit
09-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Yeah the waiting list for parking passes is years. I've been on the list for 4 years already for lot12. McMahon sells out fast. If you want to save money, park at a park and ride and take the bus/train down.

eblend
09-11-2005, 09:51 PM
shit part accross the bridge by London Drugs and all that, i always park there for the last 3 years

t-im
09-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by n00bit
Yeah the waiting list for parking passes is years. I've been on the list for 4 years already for lot12. McMahon sells out fast. If you want to save money, park at a park and ride and take the bus/train down.

How is that possible?

I sign up for lot 12 parking for fun and I get it every year, and just reject it.

I got my parking pass right away - it's all in timing and luck - and my lot is closer then lot 12 and smaller.

KELSTAR
09-11-2005, 10:00 PM
i know several ppl who are in sciences so they are always in the buildings closest to the U of C train station. They take the train from brentwood to the uni to avoid the ticketing.. especially now because of the U Pass. they are seen walking to the station. i know it seems like a long drawn out process but it works for them

Zero102
09-11-2005, 11:21 PM
That's funny, took my G/F 2 years to get into lot 12 (i.e. she applied at the beginning of 1 year, got accepted part way through the next), if you've been on the list for 4 years, check what lot you're really on the list for...
Once she got it, we just put my license plate on her pass :)
I'm waiting for lot 21 ;)

Jynx
09-12-2005, 05:59 PM
i just got a parking pass for the art parkade
just under 800 for 2 semesters.

method
09-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Jynx
i just got a parking pass for the art parkade
just under 800 for 2 semesters.

it's insane..

my sister said the waiting list was huge, and that we could transfer her pass after she graduated...

well I went down to the parking center and they were like "too much paper work to transfer, there's spots available anyway"

?!??! :dunno:

I had heard from tons of people that there was a huge waiting list, then it turns out there isnt? oh well.

t-im
09-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by method

it's insane..

my sister said the waiting list was huge, and that we could transfer her pass after she graduated...

well I went down to the parking center and they were like "too much paper work to transfer, there's spots available anyway"

?!??! :dunno:

I had heard from tons of people that there was a huge waiting list, then it turns out there isnt? oh well.

art parkade waiting lists ended ages ago, when the price of having a fall/winter permit became excessive.

I had a art permit for my first and second years, and i enjoy having an annual permit alot more - my lot is alot closer to most buildings, and I can use my permit in any lot after 3:30.

nambis
09-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by b_t
I actually use that train, and getting there and having no parking space because of all the U of C students trekking it pisses me right off.
They have guys watch the parking lot for people who get out of their cars and then head away from the train station. Grounds for towing? Parking somewhere and not using the C-Train. There are "C-train customer parking only" signs all over the place.

yo they're talking about the strip mall not the train station.

~Leah~
09-14-2005, 03:39 PM
But lots of ppl do park at that train station and it's stupid. If someone needs a plug in in the winter, they could park at my place, I live a block from Brentwood LRT... but you owe me then! haha

bspot
09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
I don't get how they can get pissed about you parking at Brentwood when everyone has a U-Pass now anyways. As a transit pass holder, you should get to park there. If you need to pick something up from your locker at school on the way downtown, then so be it ;)

VTEC_Junkie
09-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I went to buy a parking pass 2 days ago and had no problem, if you guys are looking for lot 12 I would suggest buying one for lot 63 which is the little strip beside lot 12 located in front of the CCIT building, I got one there for around $475. It is so nice because I now only have to walk outside for like 15 seconds and then you can weave your way through engineering to get anywhere.

Aleks
09-14-2005, 03:47 PM
I parked at Brentwood many times when i went to university. Paying $500 per course made me bitter so I did it... Never got towed in 4 years.

canadiandaytona
09-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Park and Brentwood and take the train one stop....Problem solved

There are also some hidden spots by Moose's...But I can't devulge those...

Also if you don't mind Impark sending you letters then park by mooses in stadium shopping Center

t-im
09-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by VTEC_Junkie
would suggest buying one for lot 63 which is the little strip beside lot 12 located in front of the CCIT building, I got one there for around $475. It is so nice because I now only have to walk outside for like 15 seconds and then you can weave your way through engineering to get anywhere.

Hey I park there too :) Lot 63 is the best - been parking there for the last 1.5 years...and since I renewed my permit last year, I pay last years rates!

Official Hoser
09-15-2005, 04:02 PM
In addition to Brentwood, you could also park at the McMahon Park n Ride, provided you take the train. Dalhousie Station has c-train customer parking also, do they not?

DC2uned
09-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by t-im

art parkade waiting lists ended ages ago, when the price of having a fall/winter permit became excessive.

I had a art permit for my first and second years, and i enjoy having an annual permit alot more - my lot is alot closer to most buildings, and I can use my permit in any lot after 3:30.

How long is the wait for this lot that you speak of and how much cheaper is it then the Art parkade? I have an Art parkade permit and its nice in the winter time since its covered and you can just walk inside to anywhere.

t-im
09-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by DC2uned

How long is the wait for this lot that you speak of and how much cheaper is it then the Art parkade? I have an Art parkade permit and its nice in the winter time since its covered and you can just walk inside to anywhere.

If you signed up maybe a day or 2 ago for my lot, you could have gotten one - my friend did.

It's about 69 bucks a month or something?...so at least $20.00 cheaper a month.

I don't think art is worth it because it's BARELY even indoors, and I found it pretty far from all my classes vs where I park now, even though it's outside I can run into CCIT or Machall and go from there.

Getting parking passes for UC lots is easy if your timing is right and you know which lots to sign up at.

Seanith
09-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Man the art parkade used to be a lot cheaper than it is now.. i had a pass for the first year and it was around $500.. isn't it like $800 now?

Whatever though the pass i have now is like $750 for the full year :eek:
At least I can bring it in at the end of april and get like 4months credit back. The other pass I wanted i've been waiting for since 2001 :thumbsdow

DC2uned
09-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by t-im

If you signed up maybe a day or 2 ago for my lot, you could have gotten one - my friend did.

It's about 69 bucks a month or something?...so at least $20.00 cheaper a month.

I don't think art is worth it because it's BARELY even indoors, and I found it pretty far from all my classes vs where I park now, even though it's outside I can run into CCIT or Machall and go from there.

Getting parking passes for UC lots is easy if your timing is right and you know which lots to sign up at.

Damn thanks for all the info, i am definatly going to try and get into it i checked the map and there is only one person on the waiting list. I have a favorite to ask you though. Where is lot 63? I have this map and all the parking lot prices and info and 63 is listed but i can't find it on the map:
https://dciwasp.admin.ucalgary.ca/webapp/pkg_lot/

n00bit
09-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Lot 63 is a lot that is not listed on that map. It is between Lot 12 and 13 iirc.

Zero102
09-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Yeah, it's a tiny little strip, but it doesn't have plug-ins, that's why it's so cheap.
I don't believe lot 13 has plug-ins either, only lot 12. That's something that was really important to me, also why I'm on the list for lot 21, one year I'll get it....

t-im
09-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Yeah, it's a tiny little strip, but it doesn't have plug-ins, that's why it's so cheap.
I don't believe lot 13 has plug-ins either, only lot 12. That's something that was really important to me, also why I'm on the list for lot 21, one year I'll get it....

Except, it's not "so cheap" since lot 12, 13 + 63 all cost the same per month.

Zero102
09-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Except, it's not "so cheap" since lot 12, 13 + 63 all cost the same per month.

I went to buy a parking pass 2 days ago and had no problem, if you guys are looking for lot 12 I would suggest buying one for lot 63 which is the little strip beside lot 12 located in front of the CCIT building, I got one there for around $475. It is so nice because I now only have to walk outside for like 15 seconds and then you can weave your way through engineering to get anywhere.

Well, I thought lot 12 was ~$700, at least that's what they charged me.

I also recall seeing on the university web site that lots with no plugins are ~$200 cheaper per year.

t-im
09-16-2005, 12:40 PM

Well, I thought lot 12 was ~$700, at least that's what they charged me.

$400 something is most likely just for the 8 months (or when the permit expires, which is 03/31/05, from September.

$700~ is for the entire year (12 months).

I also recall seeing on the university web site that lots with no plugins are ~$200 cheaper per year.

Well, if you looked on each parking lot "profile" you would see that each one costs $69.55 a month.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just stating the facts here.

DEREK57
09-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Frigg, how early do you have to get to the lrt stations to park (Im using the train)!? They spend millions on the trains, they really should invest in getting enough room for parking so everyone who wants to use them can.

Vagabond142
09-20-2005, 02:07 PM
There are times that I completely LOVE living only 10 minutes walk from the University LRT station (I live just past Banff Trail Elementary and down a hill). As for good parking, all the areas around the church and the road in front of the University LRT are 2 hour only or parking by permit only.

Celica TVS3
09-20-2005, 02:43 PM
After paying $200/month downtown parking this summer a few dollars per day doesn't seem so bad. But i usually just take the train.

Zero102
09-20-2005, 04:03 PM
If you want a good spot at a C-train station, get there before 7. Around 6 would be ideal. I used to get to the train station at 6:15, and I could get a nice plug-in spot near the train station.

Seanith
09-20-2005, 09:20 PM
If you want a good spot at a C-train station, get there before 7. Around 6 would be ideal. I used to get to the train station at 6:15, and I could get a nice plug-in spot near the train station.

Seems like a lot of effort :rofl: ;)

bradwatson
09-20-2005, 09:33 PM
790$ a year, art parkade. I park by the entrance to the elevator section, and its on CCTV. That way if i have problems, i can check with security! 5th level BABY!

Nova316
09-20-2005, 09:34 PM
If u go with 3 people in your car get a Carpool special thingie
its 17.50 for 10 passes so its only 1.75 a day which is cheaper then paying for semester parking

DC2uned
09-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by bradwatson
790$ a year, art parkade. I park by the entrance to the elevator section, and its on CCTV. That way if i have problems, i can check with security! 5th level BABY!

4th level ownz you.
No stairs. :D

bradwatson
09-21-2005, 06:43 PM
nope, i take the elevator! muahahaha

Brad

xkon
09-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
There are also some hidden spots by Moose's...But I can't devulge those...

Thats where I park... shhhh

rice_eater
09-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by b_t

give me a freakin break...the u of c students dont start till 8-9 even 10 am, so let me tell you my high strung friend, if that's when you get to brentwood you wont find a spot even if there werent any students so deal with it and shut the hell up. if you want a good parking spot, the london drugs was my "secret" spot for over 3 years. i never got a ticket though i've seen other cars with tickets on themm

eb0i
09-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by DC2uned

4th level ownz you.
No stairs. :D

haha, agreed :thumbsup:

I have art parkade pass, sure its far from where all my classes are but the fact that I can walk indoors for most of the way to get to my car is a bonus, and my car being out of the elements while I'm at school is an added bonus. While you are scraping the snow off your car, mine is pefectly free of snow :D Well worth it in my opinion.

bradwatson
09-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

haha, agreed :thumbsup:

I have art parkade pass, sure its far from where all my classes are but the fact that I can walk indoors for most of the way to get to my car is a bonus, and my car being out of the elements while I'm at school is an added bonus. While you are scraping the snow off your car, mine is pefectly free of snow :D Well worth it in my opinion.

agreed man, well worth the 790$

Brad

josecuzzani
02-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I live in a house a block from the University and sell my parking pass to park on my street for 100$. I'm sure there are so many other students who can fork over their parking pass and park theirs on their drive way. Just have to post a Wanted: ad at the school and how much you're willing to pay. Most the students who live around me don't have cars they live so close to the U.