PDA

View Full Version : DIY oil change - oil extractor

hingkit
09-11-2005, 07:38 PM
does anyone do their own oil change with a oil extractor ...
I want to purchase on but I can' find it locally ...

benyl
09-11-2005, 09:22 PM
What is the advantage?

hingkit
09-11-2005, 09:25 PM
well oil changes every 25,000km is way too much ... (free first 4yrs)

so i'm planning on DIY every half interval like most ppl ... highly suggested on e46fanatics ...etc ...

kenny
09-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by benyl
What is the advantage?

Oil extraction (through the dip stick) removes more oil than through oil pan drain plug.

EK 2.0
09-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Oil extraction (through the dip stick) removes more oil than through oil pan drain plug.

SERIOUSLY??

FiveFreshFish
09-11-2005, 10:06 PM
For this to happen, you must have the end of the extractor hose at the lowest point in the oil pan. Otherwise, it'll leave some in there.

Other advantages of the extractor:
- Don't have to get underneath the car to drain the oil
- Don't have to buy an oil pan drain plug gasket
- Don't have wait for the oil to drain

This is excellent tool for BMWs because the oil filter is on the top side of the engine. With other cars, you have to access the filter from underneath so you probably have to jack up the car and deal with a bit of spillage from the filter.

FYI this is where the filter is on most 3-Series BMWs.

benyl
09-11-2005, 10:39 PM
yeah, I changed the oil in the bimmer a couple of weeks ago. I wish all manufacturers put their oil filter where BMW does.

did an oil change on an RSX... man, what a pain. No way to do it cleanly.

hingkit
09-11-2005, 11:22 PM
ic you have a 05 too ..... the 25,000km oil change from bmw is rediculously long ..... I will do one myself every half interval

but i'm lazy i don't want to do the oil pan way .....

Does anyone have one? Group Buy ???
:thumbsup:

benyl
09-12-2005, 10:03 AM
yes, did mine at 12500 km. The 25,000 interval goes down. Mine is at about 21,000km. There are sensors in the oil that change this interval depending on the way you drive.

I don't know how changing the oil midstream affects this, but it is still counting down.

FiveFreshFish
09-12-2005, 12:17 PM
There are sensors in the oil that change this interval depending on the way you drive.

I thought the computer simply keeps track of things like the distance driven, total run time and your driving habits. Then it assesses all this info and calculates how much "life" you have left in the oil.

Glenn 328is
09-12-2005, 12:18 PM

I don't know how changing the oil midstream affects this, but it is still counting down.

It doesn't, you just need to reset the counter if you want. Otherwise it'll count down til it gets reset.

Where can you get the oil extractor? I may be interested...

hingkit
09-12-2005, 12:53 PM
correct ....

it will count down the distance before your need your next oil change (although it will adjust itself pending on your driving habbits) ...

when BMW service replaces the oil they will 'reset' the counter ...

for those doing mid oil changes ... you would not want to reset the counter since the dealer will replace it only when the car notifies a oil change ...

you can however purchase the device that resets your counter if you really need one .... you can find it on ebay

as for oil extractor purchase ..... the group buy in e46toronto quoted me $90 ....

online is about 50usd ...

m10-power
09-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by hingkit
ic you have a 05 too ..... the 25,000km oil change from bmw is rediculously long .....

Is it? Wonder why they would do that? Maybe you don't need to change your oil as often as the oil companies would want you to believe. Do you think maybe BMW spend some time figuring out how long the oil should last? Does it hurt to change it more often, nope only in the wallet, which isnt much of a big deal really.

benyl
09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Reason is:

7 litres of synthetic.

Double the capacity.

At least that is what I am lead to believe.

Nufy
09-13-2005, 08:45 AM
So edumacate me on this Oil extractor.....

Wouldn't it be just as easy to hit up Princess Auto for a small vacuum pump and use tubing small enough to fit down the Dip Stick Tube ???

Hook it to a Drill or something ???

Just Curious.....

FiveFreshFish
09-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Some oil extractors are powered by a drill, exactly as you described.

kenny
09-13-2005, 10:18 AM
The only ones I've seen aren't self contained. Does anyone know of one that includes a large resevoir so you just insert and pump away and then deal with the mess later? (haha that sounds funny).

benyl
09-13-2005, 10:25 AM
The only ones I've seen aren't self contained. Does anyone know of one that includes a large resevoir so you just insert and pump away and then deal with the mess later? (haha that sounds funny).

Yes, it is called a condom with a reservoir tip. I am sure you can get XXXL size, but I don't think hondas could fill one of those.

:D

TurboMedic
09-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Pela Oil extractor.....self contained reservior, vaccum pump..

http://www.pelaproducts.com/

Available at Harpers Marine Center in CGY for ~$113, or online....

There is apparently a cheaper type available at CDN tire that runs off your car battery.....I don't know though

JO-WN4GE
10-18-2005, 12:09 AM
I dont own a beemer although i do love them, I am just wondering why you need to use an extractor, is it because the oil drain plug is not where the sump is or oddly shaped oil pan. It would be realy rediculous to spend 100 bux on something just so u dont have to jack up your car when changing the oil. I am just curious cuz I've never herd of that before.

hingkit
10-18-2005, 12:15 AM
"It would be realy rediculous to spend 100 bux on something just so u dont have to jack up your car when changing the oil. "

- its simply a convience thing .. its less messy and to me "faster"

Theres definately many owners who went the extractor route...
I justified the expensive by considering it as a long term investment to protect the car... $100 may seem lots but 5years time its only 20 bucks a year??

each their own .... I will be attempting my first oil change this weekend ... wish me luck ..

Nissanaddict
10-18-2005, 12:20 AM
cool. I'll say those new ecotecs also have the oil filter in that same kinda spot (just in a different spot, but still accessible only from above, and not messy) I like it. Oil extractor....hmm...I do not have to jack up my 240 to change the filter..hrmmm.

CalgaryB5
10-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
Pela Oil extractor.....self contained reservior, vaccum pump..

http://www.pelaproducts.com/

Available at Harpers Marine Center in CGY for ~$113, or online....

There is apparently a cheaper type available at CDN tire that runs off your car battery.....I don't know though

I got a Pela 6000 model 1/2 of that price at local. :thumbsup:

Alberta Forest & Garden
248-0878 ask for Mark.

Nufy
10-18-2005, 09:39 AM
But isn't the drain plug supposed to be the lowest point in your oil system.

I'm just curious as to how this would be better than a reg oil change if you just let it sit for a while for as much as possible to drain.

hingkit
10-18-2005, 10:01 AM
i woudlnt' say its "better" .. its technically on par with the draing plug method ...difference is negletable ..

both the extractor nor draing method actually remove 100% of the oil ....

Nufy
10-18-2005, 12:59 PM
I guess if you have lowered your vehicle it makes the drain plug hard to get at. At least in your own garage.

Chris Ng
10-18-2005, 04:00 PM
I purchased a pella oil extractor, It's probably one of the best investments I have ever made.. While the oil is being extracted, I can go tend to the oil filter on my e36.. once it's all said and done, my hands are still clean..
Another reason that makes the extractor convenient.. I live in a condo with underground parking.. putting the car up on jackstands isn't allowed, nor is it very easy with the limited space between spots.. I no longer have to bother driving the car to a friend's place to do oil changes.. and it leaves my parking stall clean and oil free..

Of course, this is only really usefull for people that have oil filters that they can get to from up above.. if your filter sits in a position where you have to crawl under the car to get at in the first place, than perhaps the extractor won't be of any use to you..

three.eighteen.
10-18-2005, 09:27 PM
does the dealership use the oil extractor to do changes?

JO-WN4GE
10-19-2005, 12:08 AM
ah ic, i can see why you would need it if u lived in a place that didnt allow jackstands but why wouldnt u save the money and put it towards a good set of jackstands and a floor jack, imo thats a way better investment, then u can do all kinds of basic mantience stuff with just the basic handtools.

ACS-e36
10-19-2005, 12:44 AM
how thoroughly does this drain the oil and dirt?
i find it annoying to jack up my car

Glenn 328is
10-19-2005, 07:30 AM
I think the mechanic puts the car up with a hoist so he can work easily with lots of head clearance.

FiveFreshFish
10-19-2005, 07:34 AM
I bought one of these jack pads. It's makes it so easy to jack up the car and place jack stands.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/shopcart/BE36/POR_BE36_e36rec_pg15.htm#item

hingkit
10-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Just to update you guys:

I went and purchased 10 of these since all my friends fell inlove with the idea and I wanted to save $$ ...

we bought the real one with the big canister ...

- 7.3L (1.9gallon)
- Automatic flow control valve
- Pressure relieve valve

We have a few unclaimed ones so if your intrested $85 and its yours ... i did my first oil change in less than 30 minutes .... amazing product

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002WSDLO.01-A30DGJTMHYAU9C._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

hingkit
10-22-2005, 05:57 PM
some DIY guides:

http://www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil/
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=8222

n1zm0
10-22-2005, 06:22 PM

did an oil change on an RSX... man, what a pain. No way to do it cleanly.

yea.. you can get a factory fit drain pan that fits just under the filter, magnetizes to the oil pan (not type S tho, different metal), if not, a 4L jug cut in half would do. works for TSX's too, same oil filter setup.