PDA

View Full Version : Racism in alberta

downtime
09-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Hello all, i'm from the east coast and thinking about moving to alberta next spring, i was just curious how bad if any racism in alberta towards blacks and latino's?Can anyone give me any insight?

Hakkola
09-11-2005, 08:25 PM
If any? There's always racism no matter where you go no matter what people say.

It's not bad here, but it's still around.

ryder_23
09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Stay away from didsbury :rofl:

gen2teggy
09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
i have neve seeen a latino before :nut:

ca2p3r
09-11-2005, 08:28 PM
^ latino heat . duh

gen2teggy
09-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by ca2p3r
^ latino heat . duh

:rofl:

l8braker
09-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Don't base a move to a city due to racism. It's everywhere you go unfortunately and Alberta is no exception, yes we have a higher Hick ratio that say retarded things without thinking first but most people are very tolerent and opening.

I've been to Montreal too and there is way more racism and franco crap there.

finboy
09-11-2005, 08:31 PM
don't move to calgary, its not that people are racist but this city's weather fucking sucks :thumbsdow

gen2teggy
09-11-2005, 08:32 PM
watch out for finboy, hes gay
:rofl:
jk

Gurpy
09-11-2005, 08:40 PM
It's not too bad, but you're still going to run in to some racism, just like any other place.

cman
09-11-2005, 08:49 PM
there is racism against every race, everywhere you go.
the majority of people are not racist, but you will always find extreme white/brown/asian/black/latino/(insert other here) who are racist against others.

gerrycurl21
09-11-2005, 08:52 PM
i heard rumors of kkk in rural AB? anyone have insight to this?

FiveFreshFish
09-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by gerrycurl21

Some dude named Terry Long was the leader. Maybe it was Aryan Nations or some other sorry-ass group based out of Caroline. Happened a quite some time ago.

Shaolin
09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I've lived in Calgary for 18 years.. got called a chink once by some kid about 12 years ago.. other than that I haven't had any problems.. I find it a funny question because racism is everywhere with maybe certain cities that are more prominent, but why would you put that into consideration on where you're moving to?

downtime
09-11-2005, 09:40 PM
I ask as i havent been their yet and have been doing alot of reserch on the net but you get the best advice/experience from actually talking to other's.That and the fact that about 10 years ago a good friend of mine was in northern alberta and was called a n****r to his face(yes, that can happen anywhere and even then it really isnt a reflection on the city but more the ignorant person),for no reason as he was walking down the street minding his own business,just thought i would ask.

FiveFreshFish
09-11-2005, 09:51 PM
There are very few blacks here in Calgary compared to Toronto in terms of percentage of population. What's the east coast like?

gatorade
09-12-2005, 12:20 AM
i knew a guy from toronto who came down here to work and all he could talk about was how racist it was down here, and how multicultural it was in toronto.

Sorath
09-12-2005, 12:23 AM
just live in the cecil area in calgary, u`ll be fine :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CalgarySupra
09-12-2005, 01:21 AM
its not about being black, or whatever. its about what the group is doing. like the group of sudanese batch that were let in. you seem them everywhere, causing shit and stuff. people hate them. not because their black. its what they are doing.

the city is generally not racist , they just dont like large scale actions by certain groups.

tapout
09-12-2005, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
just live in the cecil area in calgary, u`ll be fine :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :werd: :rofl: :rofl:

googe
09-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23
Stay away from didsbury :rofl:

whats different about didsbury?

mr.loco
09-13-2005, 02:49 PM
yo im latino, and i lived in montreal for 4 years, and ive never in my life have ever seen so much racisim than montreal. the only thing good about montreal is catholics uniforms in high school (mini skirts)
fucken french racist i hate them and the gay population is fucken gross ahh i hate montreal
yeah you should move here

BerserkerCatSplat
09-13-2005, 02:54 PM
I dunno... Calgary's pretty hardcore, I got called a "White piece of shit" once.

...'course, it was some white guy who called me that, so I really didn't take it that hard. :rofl:

In all seriousness, Calgary's pretty good. We've got more than our fair share of "hicks," but most of them are educated, so they're not as isolated as they used to be. Probably the worst thing you'll get is some drunk farmhand yell the occasional slur, and then think better of it.

Raz
09-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Well, all over the ghetto areas of the states I get called honkey and pillsbury and shit, I don't care.

Black people, white people, red people, whatever people

Nigger is just a word, means nothing to me, honkey they same

Calgary is a nice place, imo nicer than the east coast, a bit more job opportunity and lower taxes/living expenses afaik

Alot of us here on Beyond are all different races/colours and we get along just fine, lots of chinese people, japanese people, european descent canadians, polish people, russian people, danish people, I'm sure we have lots of more, and I could care less :)

In the end, if you get called Nigger walking down the street, would you give a shit? Should you?

skandalz
09-13-2005, 03:37 PM
^yes.... considering the origins of that word is used to be-little black people.

sure taking the high road by not acknowleding a person's ignorance may seem right, but without someone to tell them what they're doing isn't right when can we ever expect it to end?

heavyD
09-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by downtime
Hello all, i'm from the east coast and thinking about moving to alberta next spring, i was just curious how bad if any racism in alberta towards blacks and latino's?Can anyone give me any insight?

Racism in Alberta isn't too bad at all. No where near as bad as it is in the US. The world is filled with idiots and Alberta is no exception as there is no garentee that you'll never have to deal with the issue but it's pretty infrequent in my experience. Also as Finboy said, the weather absolutely sucks.

nambis
09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
you guys think calgary is racist, go anywhere (even big cities) in the states where i grew up, and see segregation in action

nambis
09-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by mr.loco
fucken french racist i hate them and the gay population is fucken gross ahh i hate montreal

DUDE, TOTALLY POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK

YOU HATE RACISM? WHY NOT BEGIN WITH YOURSELF!

turbotrip
09-13-2005, 03:54 PM

ya apparently the biggest KKK sect in canada is somewhere here in alberta but i dont think u really have to worry about that cuz theyre all in one little town in the north somewhere

/////AMG
09-14-2005, 04:05 AM
If you don't want racism, Calgary is the place!:thumbsup:
PS. Don't ever move to the UK if you don't like racism. :thumbsdow

403 Forbidden
09-14-2005, 07:49 AM
^
Why because all the brown people there hate all the white people?

heavyD
09-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by 403 Forbidden
^Why because all the brown people there hate all the white people?

I was born in Britan. The white people with good teeth hate the pasty white people with Austin Powers teeth.

403 Forbidden
09-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

I was born in Britan. The white people with good teeth hate the pasty white people with Austin Powers teeth.

If you where born there you should at least try to spell it correctly. No?

heavyD
09-14-2005, 07:59 AM
If you where born there you should at least try to spell it correctly. No?

I left it spelled incorrectly to entertain simpletons like you as who else would care if BRITAIN was incorrectly spelled in a thread?:poosie:

/////AMG
09-14-2005, 08:02 AM
^
Why because all the brown people there hate all the white people?

uhhhh... :nut: other way around.

403 Forbidden
09-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Sure you did sucker. Pretty lame excuse nonetheless.

heavyD
09-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Sure you did sucker. Pretty lame excuse nonetheless.
Tool Alert! Tool Alert!

Lame is criticizing spelling in a forum. You spend enough time in Word and you tend to depend on spell check a bit too much but I sincerely appoligize if my mispelling offended you.:rolleyes:

403 Forbidden
09-14-2005, 08:16 AM

Tool Alert! Tool Alert!

I picture you saying that in an effeminate voice while waving a "rainbow flag" Am I wrong?

Lame is spelling your country of origin wrong and then continuing to try and make others look foolish to cover for your own stupidity and lack of character, but I digress.

heavyD
09-14-2005, 08:19 AM

I picture you saying that in an effeminate voice while waving a "rainbow flag" Am I wrong?

Lame is spelling your country of origin wrong and then continuing to try and make others look foolish to cover for your own stupidity and lack of character, but I digress.

You are sidetracking this thread. If you have spelling tips please PM me and I will be happy to take in some of your wisdom if not STFU.:guns:

403 Forbidden
09-14-2005, 08:22 AM
OK there blazing guns - whatever that means.

ryder_23
09-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by googe

whats different about didsbury?

From what i heard, theres some kkk shit going down up there :rofl:

TheBenzo
09-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Racism in alberta? Sure.. but they are mostly people who's parents are siblings. I wouldnt worry about it at all. There is lots of opportunity here for everyone even white people.

downtime
09-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words, i just wanted to ask before i head over.I know canada is alot different from the states in that repect but coming from a montrealer -alberta has a rep as having a big usa influence due to the oil and all the americans their?any truth to that?Some people bring bad habits with them.No it wouldnt make me not move their,we live in a free country and anyone can and will live wherever they want.

FiveFreshFish
09-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Off topic: The drivers here are less crazy than those in Montreal. :D

TheBenzo
09-15-2005, 03:46 PM
You Montrealers are just as much if not more influenced by american media. Why do I think you arent asking these questions because you are "moving here"? :rolleyes:

Loose
09-15-2005, 03:57 PM
The only racism I've noticed in AB is towards natives. It's socially acceptable here.

Gurpy
09-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Werd, racism is HUGE towards native...not bad for anyone else though.

mo_virgin
09-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Yeah man... calgary for 18 years of my life and never have i once felt someone being racist towards me. In vancouver i get it every other day.

ProjectR
09-16-2005, 02:15 AM
racism is gonna happen wherever you go dude...just up to you how you're gonna take it. there's always gonna be retarded peeps out there, just believe in karma :D

suranga
09-16-2005, 08:15 PM
I think people here are sugar coating the thruth here. What happened to your friend will probably never happen to you while in Alberta, but you will without a doubt get nasty looks from some people (the rednecks, and there are a ton here) just because you are black.

Kobe
09-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Amazing racist was filmed in calgary I heard?? :dunno: :dunno:

Gurpy
09-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Eh, what happened to your friend will probably happen to you eventually too... I've been called a terrorist (and a sikh didn't even have anything to do with 9/11...and even if they did, it's retarded that people think that what one person does represents a whole religion) over 5 times by random people.......not to mention some of the other shit.

Just remember, whenever someone says something racist they're usually poor rednecks, and just trying to blame their awful life on someone else.

Edit: If amazing racist was filmed in calgary...I hope I run in to that idiot sometime. That Mexican one seriously pissed me off.

l8braker
09-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Amazing racist was filmed in calgary I heard?? :dunno: :dunno:

SoCal.

l8braker
09-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Gurpy
Eh, what happened to your friend will probably happen to you eventually too... I've been called a terrorist (and a sikh didn't even have anything to do with 9/11...and even if they did, it's retarded that people think that what one person does represents a whole religion) over 5 times by random people.......not to mention some of the other shit.

Just remember, whenever someone says something racist they're usually poor rednecks, and just trying to blame their awful life on someone else.

and for every redneck d0uche here, there are 10 who GET IT.

cman
09-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

and for every redneck d0uche here, there are 10 who GET IT.
werd, i am white and have been called "racist" names countless times. usually by drunken idiots at clubs, mainly if i am with a chick friend of another race, the guys of the same race get PISSED. just ignore it, let them prove to everyone what low lifes and hypocrites they are.
the point is there isnt one racist race, or pne place on earth racism wont occur. every race dishes it out, every race is on the recieving end.:thumbsdow

Gurpy
09-16-2005, 08:41 PM
haha yeah i've actually noticed that in school, if you're not white then noone ever calls you racist, if you are white...you hear that shit all the time. Every single race has racists though.

l8braker
09-16-2005, 08:42 PM
^^ i hear ya... i'm a pretty big white guy so i'd dont put up with that, but i've been with friends who are of diff. races and get to hear all this stuff in person. sad, sad, sad.. reason #3223423235.232 why i'm moving out of this province once school is done.

hjr
09-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by l8braker
^^ i hear ya... i'm a pretty big white guy so i'd dont put up with that, but i've been with friends who are of diff. races and get to hear all this stuff in person. sad, sad, sad.. reason #3223423235.232 why i'm moving out of this province once school is done. haha, you should have no trouble finding the aryan homeland where no minorities will call you racist. (strait south, called montana i think)

rice_eater
09-17-2005, 12:55 AM

the white people with good teeth are probably all decendents of immigrants :rofl: the way i see it you should let in more gypsies :love:

l8braker
09-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by hjr
haha, you should have no trouble finding the aryan homeland where no minorities will call you racist. (strait south, called montana i think)

You're an idiot.

IL +1

crazytou
09-17-2005, 01:37 AM
i dont care either way if someone wants to call me a honky great for them ...i just say thanks but these days im called a cracker.

Phy
09-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by downtime
Thank you everyone for your kind words, i just wanted to ask before i head over.I know canada is alot different from the states in that repect but coming from a montrealer -alberta has a rep as having a big usa influence due to the oil and all the americans their?any truth to that?Some people bring bad habits with them.No it wouldnt make me not move their,we live in a free country and anyone can and will live wherever they want.

The American influence rap probably comes from our conservative social and economic policies. Ralph's government is all about making us pay out of pocket for everything rather than through taxes. That, combined with all the ranching and oil, makes it look like we're Texas North.

cman
09-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

the white people with good teeth are probably all decendents of immigrants :rofl: the way i see it you should let in more gypsies :love:
boooo to that, they can scavenge the rest of Europe.:love: