PDA

View Full Version : My 97 day old Palm Pilot just took a dirt nap!

Pacman
09-11-2005, 08:57 PM
My Palm Pilot just died on me. I bought it 97 days ago from Best Buy, and it only had a 90 day warranty on it.

I called up Palm and they wanted $25 U.S just to talk to me on the phone, which I refused to do.

I'm sure BestBuy won't help me out, as it's out of the warranty period. Does anybody have any suggestions or should I just toss it in the garbage can?

It's a Palm Tungsten E model, if that helps at all.

Thanks
Pacman
[email protected]

FiveFreshFish
09-11-2005, 09:11 PM
It only has a 90-day warranty? I thought most things have one year.

camaro
09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Maybe go buy the same one and return the broken one...

lastprodigy
09-11-2005, 09:28 PM
lol your whats wrong wit society dude....

email/call palm pilot and shit up storm and see what theyll do

camaro
09-11-2005, 09:35 PM
If wal-mart stocks on that stuff return it there without the reciept, they will accept anything. My mooom works at the courtesy desk and people return dirty briefs with like crap stains on the elastic bands and stuff.

dennisaur
09-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by camaro
If wal-mart stocks on that stuff return it there without the reciept, they will accept anything. My mooom works at the courtesy desk and people return dirty briefs with like crap stains on the elastic bands and stuff.

good god that fucking nasty

Pacman
09-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by camaro
Maybe go buy the same one and return the broken one...

I'm not really into doing that type of thing man

camaro
09-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Just a suggestion, I mean they did rip you off. 97 days with a 90 day warranty... I'd be pissed.

Zero102
09-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Almost everything in this world comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.
That's BS that they want $25 to talk to you, there must be another way to tallk to them.

ramminghard
09-11-2005, 11:40 PM
i would take it to bestbuy. Just talk to the manager, remember that they are very customer service oriented and want to keep customers. Worth a try at least.

403Gemini
09-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard
i would take it to bestbuy. Just talk to the manager, remember that they are very customer service oriented and want to keep customers. Worth a try at least.

it all depends, its sorta a 50 / 50 thing. sometimes they'll just swap it out, othertimes they wont. but its wroth a try, try it sooner than later though.

edit:

and they do have a 1 yr warranty unless you bought a refurb

Pacman
09-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

it all depends, its sorta a 50 / 50 thing. sometimes they'll just swap it out, othertimes they wont. but its wroth a try, try it sooner than later though.

edit:

and they do have a 1 yr warranty unless you bought a refurb

Mine wasn't a refurb, but according to the Palm website it's only 90 days http://www.palm.com/us/support/contact/canada_warranty_a.html#tungstene

Perhaps I'll go down to Best Buy and see if they can do anything for me. I doubt it though, as I declined to purchase their extended warranty.

BokCh0y
09-12-2005, 08:46 AM
I had a similar issue where my palm died but that was a few years ago though. Not sure if they still do things the same.

What I did was email palm instead. Someone got back to me and ended up giving me some trouble shooting info and did a little testing with me. After the dude came to the same conclusion I did earlier, he just warrantied it for me and sent out a replacement unit. That is the only thing I can think of. I'll check my old emails at home to see if I can find the contact info. But like I said, when I did it they never charged me a dime. THings may have chnaged.

Here's the email support link. Takes longer than calling but it's free :D.

Hope it works out.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/contact/email_support.html

Pacman
09-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks Derrick. I have just sent them an email stating the problem. Hopefully they will take care of me.

Do you recall if your Palm warranty had expired when you had your problems? I'm hoping that only 8 days after the warranty expiring, they will show some "goodwill" and take care of me.

How's the watch?

DC2
09-12-2005, 09:23 AM
i USED TO work at best buy...
the management was crap there.
i suggest try the south store and not the sunridge one.
but im almost 99% positive that they arent going to do anything about it. they are probably going to tell you some:bullshit: about you not buying the product replacement plan or service plan..

good luck though..

BokCh0y
09-12-2005, 09:28 AM
No problem James.

Yeah my warranty was out - by like a year!!!!! But the guy never asked me for receipts or anything. Just did some trouble shooting with me via email. Once he figured it wasn't helping he just told me to send the defective unit to him and he would send me a new one or vice versa. I'm pretty sure that for 8 days out of warranty they will cover you. Good Luck though. Hope it works out.

Watch is awesome. Brought it into Chinook and had them clean the condensation. Perfect. Like new. Thanks again.

camaro
09-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Good luck with whatever you do. Everytime I use customer support they end up never helping...

Pacman
09-13-2005, 06:23 PM
****UPDATE******

Well I have to say, dealing with the customer service at Palm was worse than being tied to a telephone pole and being punched in the groin for 10 continuous hours.

After dealing with 5 different customer service reps via email, then 4 telephone support reps, 2 supervisors, 1 manager and finally one of the V.P's of sales.....I'm getting a replacement Tungsten.

I'm still not impressed with the way they handle their customer complaints, but at least I'll be able to keep track of my sales appointments.