PDA

View Full Version : Post Secondary!

Ben
02-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Where did/is everyone go/going to school and what did you make of it/plan on becomming?

Successful?

Was your idea going into school the same when you left?

Change of Major? Goal in Life?

Curious to know..

I know alot have gone to post secondary and accomplished Jack, and I know some who have not done anything since High School and live quite well.

Whats your story?

Glowrider
02-07-2003, 08:20 AM
I currently attend Columbia U, majoring in business. After this, I plan to get a job, and then come back here and get my MBA.

rsxrsx
02-07-2003, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Benny
I know alot have gone to post secondary and accomplished Jack, and I know some who have not done anything since High School and live quite well.
[QUOTE]

That analogy that you suggested is a total understatement. You put into life what you get out. The choice is really up to you. What is it that you want to do or interest you in life? Once you have an answer take it form there whether it involve post secondary education or not. The choice is yours!:)

350hp_or_Bust
02-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Mech. Eng. at U of A ... knew thats what I wanted to do since the day I started watching racing and getting my hands dirty with cars. ... Just graduated, working right now .. looking to open my own business when I get my P.Eng.
Goal in life: to be rich rich rich! ha.

You forgot to mention your story Benny?

Melinda
02-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Journalism student at sait, will be majoring in photojournalism next year

I plan to use my photography stuff that I learn in the real world (sorta like I am now but only full time) and use journalism as a back up plan just incase. :)

Melinda

5gluder
02-07-2003, 10:38 AM
I graduated in Financial Services last May; I have yet to find a job :(. I send out resumes everyday, it's gotten to the point where I don't even want to search anymore. If I did work straight out of high school I would probably have a house paid off by know.

Currently I wonder if I made the right decisions, only the future can tell. From what I hear, if you haven't found a job 4 years after you graduate, your education is obsolete.

GingeRRRBeef
02-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Women Studies :thumbsup: :D

RC-Cola
02-07-2003, 10:50 AM
I went to Nait in Edmonton and took Avoinical Engineering.

I now work as a National Marketing Manager for a larger restaurant chain... Figure that one out!:dunno:

driven
02-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Studying business at Western [Richard Ivey School of Business]. There are kids here that graduate after 4 years and get jobs in TO or NYC with STARTING salaries of roughly $80,000 plus bonuses, and thats an undergraduate degree! Now if you think you can make that amount (legaly) after four years working out of high school then I suggest you write a book on how you did it because no one I have heard of can do that. And yes I am aware of tuition costs, but most of these kids pay them off in under 2 years. I think there is a fine line between post secondary education and GOOD post secondary educaiton. If you go to the right schools and do well enough (this is also key) then I think you will be MUCH MUCH better off then working straight out of high school

Aleks
02-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Fourth year Mfg. Engineering at UofC. Currently on an Internship...really wanted to be a pilot instead :(

m@+CH
02-07-2003, 11:20 AM
management business @ u of c
learning jack all!
hopefully it will help out...one day :=P:

CLiVE
02-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Started at U of C in KNES, then switched my major to Geology. Then decided to do a geology/economics double major....then dropped the geology degree, and got my Econ degree after 5 years...(thanks to all the switching..)

Go a job right out of school, was there for a year and a half. Company then downsized, so I've been looking for a new job for about 2 weeks now. Just takes time....

Weapon_R
02-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Majoring in Applied Energy Economics, 3rd of my 4th year. In my opinion, almost every degree holder who doesn't have a job isn't looking hard enough.

Even those with useless degrees like English are able to find jobs...There are always programs here that allow you to teach english, either here or in Asia, for large amounts of money. I think they pay approximately $40k and include all living expenses/housing. 40K in your pocket isn't too bad at all. And you can hold any degree to do it.

CLiVE
02-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
In my opinion, almost every degree holder who doesn't have a job isn't looking hard enough.

:werd: my thoughts exactly...

Davetronz
02-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Started in U of C aiming for a Law Degree. Hated that so I ended up going into Psychology, also hated that. Then I took a year off to help find out what the hell was going on in my life.

I am now at SAIT doing what I love. I am in Computer Engineering, with an intended Batchelor of IT degree. I hope to either land a career in education, or workin for myself doing technology related stuff.

boi-alien
02-07-2003, 01:09 PM
was in electrical engg up until september this year, got really frustrated at how boring some of the stuff was. at least for me, so i switched to computer science getting my concetration in gamming, and i'm having a lot of fun doing it.

max_boost
02-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Spent 2 years at U of C.....absolutely sucked......didn't know what I was doing.....had absolutely no direction in life......was basically lost.....my highest mark was a B-, I failed like 3 classes, dropped like 8......it was ridiculous.....working 6-7 days a week, I was just dying

Currently at SAIT, marketing major, plans are to get my diploma and then go onto ULeth and get my bachelors of management in marketing or finance

It is amazing what a change of scenery can do for one's future......my suggestions to those who plan to go to school, make sure you are ready and know what you want to do..... :)

max_boost
02-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Oh yah, make sure you know what your priorities are and stick with it! Nothing beats the gratification of accomplishing something significant, regardless whatever it is

Maddie
02-07-2003, 01:32 PM
I am in my first year of Business administration at SAIT. I am majoring in accounting.... I plan to get my degree with a major in accounting and then maybe apply to write my entrance exam to law school, if not i plan to get either my CGA or CPA.

I love the program i am in... not sure if i might change my major but so far so good. I suggest that if you aren't into big classes and want more of a hands on experience with school try to go to places like SAIT... it isn't a high school atmosphere but yet you don't feel overwhelmed with the class sizes.

Maddie :)

GTS Jeff
02-07-2003, 01:48 PM
i may not be making much money now, but when i get out of dentistry u will all be owned.

EG STyLeZ
02-07-2003, 01:51 PM
1st year chem/phys @ u of c

CLiVE
02-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
i may not be making much money now, but when i get out of dentistry u will all be owned.

By the time you finish dentistry we'll all be too old to really care......lol. How long is that program start to finish anyways?

E36M3
02-07-2003, 01:58 PM
I went to UofC for two years, thinking that I would probably get into management. I decided to take some time off at the end of the second year because I was working too much on my own businesses.

Post secondary education is extremely important for most people, and I highly recommend doing it.

If I had to do it again, though, I would have taken a year off after high school and travelled around the world. By the time I got back, I think I would have been in a better decision to decide what to do with my life.

If you are an ultra-independent learner, there are many careers that you can succeed in without college, but the chances are greatly increased if you do go.

The other, less tangible benefits are definately there too. The people you meet, the things you are exposed to that you wouldn't normally be exposed to in everyday life (ie. liberal arts for a lot of us) and the opportunity to do important projects and learn how important organization and meeting expectations are cannot be overstated.

I'm lucky in that I have done well in the field I chose to go into without completing a secondary education, but it definately made it harder.

Hakkola
02-07-2003, 01:59 PM
If I remember dentistry isn't long but very hectic, my ex was in it at SAIT for a bit, and she said it was crazy and couldn't handle it because it was all work no time for anything else at all. I think the program is pretty short like only 2 years or something at SAIT, not positive though.

What am I doing now?? Part time at Mount Royal, want to go into Corporate Law and I'm trying to find my best way of getting there, but I'm wondering if it's all worth it, maybe there's something I'd enjoy more w/o having to do as much schooling...

E36M3
02-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Maybe she was becoming a dental hygentist, which is a very short course. Dentistry requires post-graduate work at a university, and is a long and tedious process. (Dentists have phds)

Originally posted by Hakkola
If I remember dentistry isn't long but very hectic, my ex was in it at SAIT for a bit, and she said it was crazy and couldn't handle it because it was all work no time for anything else at all. I think the program is pretty short like only 2 years or something at SAIT, not positive though.

What am I doing now?? Part time at Mount Royal, want to go into Corporate Law and I'm trying to find my best way of getting there, but I'm wondering if it's all worth it, maybe there's something I'd enjoy more w/o having to do as much schooling...

Ben
02-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, I think I set off the wrong tone. I am in no way contemplating my Post Secondary ways, Just curious what everyone else has had success with.

I'm going to SAIT in the fall for Net work Engineering and then after that Bachelor of Information Systems Technology.

Have known this for nearly 2 years

Some people did little and got alot, and others did alot and got a little, just want to see who those people are is all...

4wheeldrift
02-07-2003, 02:20 PM
I got out of high school having very little idea what I wanted to do. Wanted to get into computers, but I didn't have the math marks to get into university, never mind the proper courses. I enjoyed drafting in high school, so I took a look at what SAIT had to offer, since I could get in to a lot of courses with only Math 33. Applied to a couple of different courses, ended up getting into Engineering Design and Draft Technology, or EDDT for short. 2 year programming, not focusing on any one discipline, just giving a general idea of all (Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, HVAC and anything in between). It was a pretty hellish two years, so much stuff packed into that little time. Graduated with good (but not fantastic GPA, should have applied myself more but hindsight is 20/20). Ended up working on contract for about 3/4 of a year with a small civil engineering firm, before getting hired by my current employer. I'm making decent money and good benefits, and I enjoy my job. Even to this day, I'm still not sure that what I took was the right decision, but I think everyone has moments of looking back and wondering where that other road might have taken you. But I'm satisfied where I am, and its not like I can't go back to school again later if I decide that maybe drafting isn't for me afterall.

GTS Jeff
02-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

By the time you finish dentistry we'll all be too old to really care......lol. How long is that program start to finish anyways?

its 4 years at the u of a after u get into dental school.

If I remember dentistry isn't long but very hectic, my ex was in it at SAIT for a bit, and she said it was crazy and couldn't handle it because it was all work no time for anything else at all. I think the program is pretty short like only 2 years or something at SAIT, not positive though. errr...the only place that offers dentistry in alberta is the u of a...and from what ive heard, the workload isnt too bad.

James
02-07-2003, 03:02 PM

Was she planning on being a Dental hygenist? probably alot different from what Jeff is taking.

Originally posted by Benny
Some people did little and got alot, just want to see who those people are is all...

Thats where its at!....very lucky few can pull it off though!

Stratus_Power
02-07-2003, 03:15 PM
currently 1st year in U of A, taking general Science right now, hope to get a degree in virus and immunology then Medicine..looking at about 10 years in total if all goes well

ecstasyracer
02-07-2003, 05:43 PM
I went to SAIT strait out of high school and am now in my last semester of the Telecomunications Technologist program. I have really enjoyed it and I am glad that I didn't take a year off. Now when I'm done in april I can finally start going nutz on mods for my car. :D

hjr
02-07-2003, 07:16 PM
U of A. Arts > Business (major in marketing)

gpomp
02-08-2003, 12:41 AM
Queen's University, first year engineering. Deciding between chemical, electrical, or civil.

ExtremeSi
02-08-2003, 01:11 AM
1st year Mount Royal Mechanical Engineering...I'm still adjusting to the workload, but im pretty sure its what I've always wanted to do. Still too early to tell...

B18C
02-08-2003, 03:50 AM

I think that is a dental assistant program. You need a degree to be a hygienist and I think the only place that offers hygiene in Alberta is the U of A.

Also, dentists don't have a PhD they either get a DDS (doctor of dental surgery) or DMD (doctor of medical denstistry) which is the same thing, just different schools have different names for some reason.

BTW Jeff, did you apply for next year?

Dave P
02-08-2003, 04:01 AM
Im in my last semester at sait in business (Managment Major). Right now im contemplating what to do after my diploma.

I have a few options but im not sure what i wanna do.

1) U of L to get my degree
2) or goto another uni and start over to get a commerce degree

I know i need a degree because i know what i want to do. I have a job oppertunity for a really big corporation, but i have to have a degree to get the hook up.

or i just could fuck school, buy a PS2, gran turismo, and vice city and never leave my house. just sit and play it all day.

GTS Jeff
02-08-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by B18C

I think that is a dental assistant program. You need a degree to be a hygienist and I think the only place that offers hygiene in Alberta is the U of A.

Also, dentists don't have a PhD they either get a DDS (doctor of dental surgery) or DMD (doctor of medical denstistry) which is the same thing, just different schools have different names for some reason.

BTW Jeff, did you apply for next year? i sure didnt! i am applying for the year after..

right now, i am so incredibly busy with stuff that i havent even gotten to applying for the dat! this year, ill be doing some dat prep courses though. hey, so apparently, they lowered the minimum gpa to 6.5 for dentistry...

Si_FlyGuy
02-08-2003, 04:53 AM
Fark...I wish I had the money/brains to go to Richard Ivey....

Originally posted by driven
Studying business at Western [Richard Ivey School of Business]. There are kids here that graduate after 4 years and get jobs in TO or NYC with STARTING salaries of roughly $80,000 plus bonuses, and thats an undergraduate degree! Now if you think you can make that amount (legaly) after four years working out of high school then I suggest you write a book on how you did it because no one I have heard of can do that. And yes I am aware of tuition costs, but most of these kids pay them off in under 2 years. I think there is a fine line between post secondary education and GOOD post secondary educaiton. If you go to the right schools and do well enough (this is also key) then I think you will be MUCH MUCH better off then working straight out of high school

mrmattyk
02-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Dave P

or i just could fuck school, buy a PS2, gran turismo, and vice city and never leave my house. just sit and play it all day.

STOP STEALING MY IDEA! :poosie: j/j

I am just taking something to keep my parents off my back. I dont know what do

B18C
02-08-2003, 02:00 PM
i sure didnt! i am applying for the year after..

right now, i am so incredibly busy with stuff that i havent even gotten to applying for the dat! this year, ill be doing some dat prep courses though. hey, so apparently, they lowered the minimum gpa to 6.5 for dentistry...

The minimum GPA doesn't really matter though. I think you need around a 7.6-7.7 to be competitive for admission.

GTS Jeff
02-08-2003, 02:21 PM

The minimum GPA doesn't really matter though. I think you need around a 7.6-7.7 to be competitive for admission. gah i need more 8s and 9s! i think by the end of this semester ill be around 7.4. :banghead:

kaput
02-08-2003, 02:22 PM

B18C
02-08-2003, 02:23 PM
gah i need more 8s and 9s! i think by the end of this semester ill be around 7.4. :banghead:

Well a 7.4 might be good enough if you ace your DAT :thumbsup:

And remember, I think they only take your 2 best years (with a full course load) so your GPA might even be higher.

GTS Jeff
02-08-2003, 02:26 PM

Well a 7.4 might be good enough if you ace your DAT :thumbsup:

And remember, I think they only take your 2 best years (with a full course load) so your GPA might even be higher. hm, as i remember, what they do is take out your worst year IF u complete 4 years with a full courseload.

but yea, dat prep courses here i come!

SilverRex
02-08-2003, 02:33 PM
I went straight to SAIT after high school.. took CNT (computer engineering technology) once I graduated I found a job in the telecom businese which isnt really related to my studies.. strange lol I'll have to see what my fate is at my company. it will prompt me back to school or continue... oO

Ice
02-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Queen's University, Mathematical Physics. Gonna do an undergrad thesis, then on to grad school at some point. Still got lots of travelling to do before that though....

R-Audi
02-09-2003, 05:58 PM
I took two years At U of L in Marketing, took a year off, went to HK, China and Japan.
Start of this year, tried Sciences ( Physics, 2 Chem's Bio) and went back into Mangement this semester (3rd Year) General right now, but possibly to Finance major.
MBA is the plan after as of now.

syeve
02-09-2003, 06:04 PM
I just graduated from UofC with economics...I had a little trouble finding a job, but then got on with a really good firm...now I am into stock speculation, markets suck but they still bought my new car...muahahaha

mwmhong
02-10-2003, 09:28 AM
Post-secondary=U of C, did a B. Comm w/major in Accounting.

Doing post-post-secondary education at SAIT for more $$$$$.
Accounting is exciting! :zzz: