PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fighter "Weigh-Ins"

hockeybronx
09-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Alright I need to ask about something that's been confusing me. Now in the Ultimate Fighter 2 show they do the weigh-ins and I can't believe how little some of those guys weigh. They actually look rather huge but only weight like 170 pounds (or less).

So what's the deal? Do they dehydrate themselves for the weigh in and that's why they weigh so little, are they just super short or what? I can't seem to figure out how they have so much muscle mass and weigh so little???

2.4l
09-12-2005, 11:09 PM
i doubt they would dehydrate themselves as that would take allot away from thier fighting, theyre just short built guys, like me ahaha they just look bigger on tv.. anyone else notice joes bitch tits, not the actual pec, but a puffy area of skin around the nipple,, juice monkey :eek:

davidI
09-12-2005, 11:16 PM
yea, Joe looked to have some gyno but maybe he's just got horse nipples...I dunno.

They're all pretty lean...so 5'9" with little bodyfat would look pretty muscular at 170. They don't really show if they all have to cut or not...but I'd guess Joe was closer to 180. I'm 5'9" 180 and don't think I look as good as most of those guys but I think the overhead lighting also adds nice shadows that increase definition.

Darkane
09-12-2005, 11:16 PM
The one dude was 5'7 :)
thats why

Dave P
09-12-2005, 11:17 PM
and this needed its own thread?

1-Cent
09-13-2005, 12:07 AM
I noticed that as well, the older guy was 5'10 167lbs at weigh in and I would have guessed him at more like 190lbs, could just be the camera adding weight but no doubt they keep their bodyfat pretty low to get the most out of their weight class.

The younger guy did have some nice gyno on him though lol I'd bet it was from puberty though since he really wasn't all that jacked looking to me, kind of pudgey even in comparison to most of the other guys... still disgusting looking either way, glad its never been much of an issue for me lol

Wildcat
09-13-2005, 08:58 AM
its always hard to judge something relative like the height of someone on TV. theyre not big at all :D

2.4l
09-13-2005, 09:33 AM
^^hence the welterweight division!:eek:

cman
09-13-2005, 04:39 PM
yes, pretty much everybody on the show was over weight when they showed up.
they have probably been dieting to make weight after what happened with the first loser.
that would probably get them within 5 pounds of their goal weight. then they just cut the rest by dehydrating before the weigh in.

following the weigh in the go through hydration cycles to return to clsoe to 100% health for the fight.

hockeybronx
09-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by cman
yes, pretty much everybody on the show was over weight when they showed up.
they have probably been dieting to make weight after what happened with the first loser.
that would probably get them within 5 pounds of their goal weight. then they just cut the rest by dehydrating before the weigh in.

following the weigh in the go through hydration cycles to return to clsoe to 100% health for the fight.

Yeah that's exactly what I figured they did. De-hydrate just to lose the 5 pounds or whatever before the weigh in then re-hydrate safely before the fight.

That's probably the reason why the weigh in is 24 hours before the actual fight.

davidI
09-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Yeah that's exactly what I figured they did. De-hydrate just to lose the 5 pounds or whatever before the weigh in then re-hydrate safely before the fight.

That's probably the reason why the weigh in is 24 hours before the actual fight.

that's definitely the reason. It's the same way with boxing.

cman
09-13-2005, 11:35 PM
yep that is the exact reason there is the 24 hour buffer. so they can recupperate(sp?) from the dehydration safely.

GreenLude
09-14-2005, 06:27 PM
You can easily loose 5lbs if you don't drink water that day. There are many ways to loose a few pounds for a weight-in.

Don't drink water
Eat after the weigh-in
Take a shit before it

1-Cent
09-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by GreenLude
You can easily loose 5lbs if you don't drink water that day. There are many ways to loose a few pounds for a weight-in.

Don't drink water
Eat after the weigh-in
Take a shit before it

Diuretics will cut 20lbs of water off you, some sports test for them but they're out of you quick, I don't know of the UFC does. Diuretics are the #1 killer of bodybuilders though before someone gets a smart idea for their next vacation cut lol

hockeybronx
09-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 1-Cent
Diuretics are the #1 killer of bodybuilders though before someone gets a smart idea for their next vacation cut lol

Yeah that's without a doubt the extreme way to look good on the beach.:nut:

1-Cent
09-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Yeah that's without a doubt the extreme way to look good on the beach.:nut:

Yeah lol I used Lasix when I did local shows before moving to powerlifting, trust me its not fun, worst days of my life.