PDA

View Full Version : Good Shawarma/Kebab?

Raz
09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I haven't yet found any good shawarma/kebab places here in Calgary

I'm used to Turkish/Iranian kebabs which are lamb or cow or both in a roll of bread or a pita bread with a sour cream based garlic sauce and veggies

so far I've only been able to find a few places, my donair and those places are decent, but are the lebanese kind which uses a disgusting sweet sauce, or some chicpea based thingie?! -

also, they cut the meat with a knife, and the slices are too thick, you're supposed to only cut 3-4 mm thick slices so you only get the best cooked meat - and if you wanna be super authentic, the meat should be halal slaughtered.

:D

- Rasmus

jdmakkord
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
My favorite place is Desert pita over in dover/forestlawn.

Raz
09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
do you have a more specific address?

Weapon_R
09-13-2005, 12:59 PM
The most authentic chicken shawarma by far is at Uncle Moe's Donair (old My Donair). They use the very thinly sliced chicken pieces and a really good garlic sauce. The garlic sauce is chickpea based but you it tastes just the way it should. Ask the guy there to toast it and your in for an awesome sandwich.

Two locations, one in TransCanada mall and the other at Edmonton trail.

EK 2.0
09-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The most authentic chicken shawarma by far is at Uncle Moe's Donair (old My Donair). They use the very thinly sliced chicken pieces and a really good garlic sauce. Ask the guy there to toast it and your in for an awesome sandwich.

Two locations, one in TransCanada mall and the other at Edmonton trail.

I want some MOE...:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
09-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I want some MOE...:thumbsup:

:rofl: You know it...next time, we'll get the chicken instead of the beef.

Ajay
09-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Have you ever tried Shwarma King on Kensington Road around the corner from Chicken On The Way?

I went there for the first time a couple Saturday's ago and it was pretty good. Got the donair shwarma.....and it's open until 4am.

nambis
09-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Jimmy's A&A deli (20th ave and 18th st NW?) has sonme of the best doners and schwarmas in calgary. Although they used to be better a few years ago, when the sandwiches were larger and the prices are lower. I think the son (Jimmy) took over from his parents, and has kinda screwed things up because he and his staff are extremely unprofessional and jumping all around the place like 12 year old kids. they will also likely screw up your sandwich so watch carefully!

Raz
09-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Yea, i've been to Jimmy's, they do fuck around a bunch, and it wasn't cheap - but fairly tasty - and yes, they totally fucked up my order too! :) rofl

Kensington Road by the Chicken on the way - Mmm, I'll hit that one up on my way home from work! :)

Thanks guys

if none of these places live up to my taste buds, I'll have to make my own some day, and i'll invite my fellow beyonders over for some GOOD shawarma ;)

- Rasmus

turbotrip
09-13-2005, 03:30 PM
i found the best to be Babylon Foods (225 28 Street SE) i believe they are iraqi so its closest to the saudi shawarmas im used to
and just like u i dont really like the lebanese kinds that are so popular here

JordanEG6
09-14-2005, 08:56 AM
theres a good one on 6th st and 5th ave downtown by my work right next to Bantrel Tower. its an awesome place for donairs and such. check it out! :thumbsup:

jdmakkord
09-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
i found the best to be Babylon Foods (225 28 Street SE) i believe they are iraqi so its closest to the saudi shawarmas im used to

I forgot about that place, used to go there every other day for lunch! The kebab is amazing!!!

Mad$ella
09-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by nambis
Jimmy's A&A deli (20th ave and 18th st NW?) has sonme of the best doners and schwarmas in calgary.

That gets my vote, they are AMAZING!!!

You can also get hookas and sheesha there.

:thumbsup:

JordanEG6
09-14-2005, 09:14 AM
^^ is that near sait?

Raz
09-14-2005, 09:17 AM
I went to shawarma king, Very good!

Next up is Babylon foods :)

SiG Baby
09-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Shawarma King is great, so is Shawarma Station. And if your in for the drive, the best Shawarma evar is made by a very good friend of mine in Cochrane. He is located across the street from McKay's ice cream.

Raz
09-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Hehe, I have a hole list now! :D

Thanks guys!!! :thumbsup:

statick
09-15-2005, 07:12 AM

:werd: , one of the best ones in calgary:thumbsup:

Official Hoser
09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Jimmy's A&A deli (20th ave and 18th st NW?) has sonme of the best doners and schwarmas in calgary. Although they used to be better a few years ago, when the sandwiches were larger and the prices are lower. I think the son (Jimmy) took over from his parents, and has kinda screwed things up because he and his staff are extremely unprofessional and jumping all around the place like 12 year old kids. they will also likely screw up your sandwich so watch carefully!

Totally. Last time I went there, the guy assumed I didn't want my change and helped himself to a tip. It was only like 50 cents so I didn't make a fuss about it, but it really pissed me off.

They do have pretty good food, though. I just dread going in there 'cause of the service.

szw
09-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Not sure how authentic it is, but I really like Cedars Deli on edmonton trail. haven't tried other locations.

Weapon_R
09-15-2005, 05:44 PM
I don't like A&A - they throw wayyy to many things in their sandwiches. Bigger does not equal better. And the guys are overly friendly, I don't mind it but sometimes they do go overboard. I saw an older gentleman walk out once because 'Jimmy' tried to give him a massage lol.

Raz
09-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Rofl :)

Yea, A&A is a little weird :)

I thoroughly liked the food at Shawarma King, and am Intrigued by the 4 am closing time!

Babylon Foods was GOOD, but very far away, and pretty much on par with Shawarma King in quality.

Thanks alot guys! I miss Europe a little less now :D :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
09-15-2005, 06:05 PM
I don't like A&A - they throw wayyy to many things in their sandwiches. Bigger does not equal better. And the guys are overly friendly, I don't mind it but sometimes they do go overboard. I saw an older gentleman walk out once because 'Jimmy' tried to give him a massage lol.

haha

3G
09-15-2005, 08:24 PM

Funny guys working @ Jimmys

Was it Jimmy or one of the other guys ? :rofl: this guy used to be like "lunch is on me, take whatever u want"

nambis
09-16-2005, 10:23 AM

TOTALLY :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They have a totally immature and overboard attitude there. they have the kind of attitude (THINK BARENAKED LADIES) which seems 'cool' to people who are out of the loop, but really isn't cool and annoys people who know whats up.

i don't go to that place anymore cause they act like a bunch of 12 year old kids, yelling in your face and throwing shit all over the place

grow up jimmy

asifka
09-20-2005, 09:49 PM
another place in downtown called Sammy's shawarma, its on 17 ave & 8th st , right across block buster.
awesum food & clean place.:thumbsup:

Lamb
10-20-2005, 12:11 AM
omg YOU guys are like so mean, A&A deli is the best place in calgary u guys are dum i like registered on this stupid car thingy just so i could say that u guys are completely dum and i love jimmy i want to marry him hes so funny and when u go to get a chicken shrwarma hes like your buddy your best friend you know what im sayin hon and so what if they arent so professional does Everywhere have to be like all perfect and normal for u to like them. god people u need 2 think outside the box jimmy is hot cuz hes the lebonese cowboy yeahh jimmy . Thats hot . i loves jimmy and were going to get married and have chicken shrwarmas and live in lebannise so u car people need to shut the hell up mmmk sweety. ok byebye love lamb xoxo

Lamb
10-20-2005, 12:12 AM
JIMMYS HOT;)

szw
10-20-2005, 12:16 AM
i loves jimmy and were going to get married and have chicken shrwarmas

Most people have kids....but whatever works for you.

FlySi
10-20-2005, 12:17 AM
stfu jimmy, you sound like an idiot and u make ur place sound as dumb as its been described. how do i know its jimmy? cuz he has gay posters on his walls describiing his life stories and he always refers to himself as a cowboy :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

Lamb
10-20-2005, 12:18 AM
omg wtf cars haha yaa n e ways have agood night bitchz loves it byebye xoxoxo ps i luv jimmy the lebonise cowboy yeah babee

Lamb
10-20-2005, 12:21 AM
omg you guys are fuckin retards like get some help with your problem there honey, just because im stickin up 4 A&A deli your like freaking out, haha u need to chill sweety holy shit
p.s. your ugly

Lamb
10-20-2005, 12:23 AM
oh and by the way you are a dum cunt face bcuz i didnt say have chicken shrwarmas lke have babys u dum ass what s wrong with you? are you going to be okay? im here for you just calm down take some deep breathes you'll b fine . haha

szw
10-20-2005, 12:36 AM
http://www.milkandcookies.com/images/feature/s/snllindsaysleepover.jpg
RICK RICK RICK RICK

anarchy
10-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Ajay
Have you ever tried Shwarma King on Kensington Road around the corner from Chicken On The Way?

I went there for the first time a couple Saturday's ago and it was pretty good. Got the donair shwarma.....and it's open until 4am.

I agree! This place is AMAZING and the guy there is super nice. My friends itroduced me to it and it's really filling too. I haven't even tried the large donair cuz the regular is already huge. Totally recommend this place to anyone who wnats a wicked donair.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TheBenzo
10-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Lamb
oh and by the way you are a dum cunt face bcuz i didnt say have chicken shrwarmas lke have babys u dum ass what s wrong with you? are you going to be okay? im here for you just calm down take some deep breathes you'll b fine . haha Hey chick, will my dick fit in your ass?

Clever
10-20-2005, 10:18 AM
omg YOU guys are like so mean, A&A deli is the best place in calgary u guys are dum i like registered on this stupid car thingy just so i could say that u guys are completely dum and i love jimmy i want to marry him hes so funny and when u go to get a chicken shrwarma hes like your buddy your best friend you know what im sayin hon and so what if they arent so professional does Everywhere have to be like all perfect and normal for u to like them. god people u need 2 think outside the box jimmy is hot cuz hes the lebonese cowboy yeahh jimmy . Thats hot . i loves jimmy and were going to get married and have chicken shrwarmas and live in lebannise so u car people need to shut the hell up mmmk sweety. ok byebye love lamb xoxo

thanks for the heads up, that's a good way of attracting some potential customers :thumbsdow might as well call the health board to do an inspection, they'll have a field day if Jimmy's is actually as digusting as you made it to be.

Lamb
10-20-2005, 02:44 PM
umm idonno wanna try?

Zoom_Zoom
10-20-2005, 07:10 PM

shouu ahleeen cuzn

SimSimma
04-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Raz
I haven't yet found any good shawarma/kebab places here in Calgary

I'm used to Turkish/Iranian kebabs which are lamb or cow or both in a roll of bread or a pita bread with a sour cream based garlic sauce and veggies

so far I've only been able to find a few places, my donair and those places are decent, but are the lebanese kind which uses a disgusting sweet sauce, or some chicpea based thingie?! -

also, they cut the meat with a knife, and the slices are too thick, you're supposed to only cut 3-4 mm thick slices so you only get the best cooked meat - and if you wanna be super authentic, the meat should be halal slaughtered.

:D

- Rasmus

There's a great Iranian place downtown called Atlas Speciality. The kebabs are amazing, the foods is fresh, and the service is pretty good. I eat there all the time.

urbannomad
04-18-2006, 03:11 PM

damn straight!

or that place next to churchill, kind of nice as well.:clap:

Supa Dexta
04-18-2006, 05:48 PM
i haven't seen anything I'd call a donair out here, different take on it out here, back in NS they are quite a treat..

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~gpetitpas/Links/history.jpg

it's mostly a greek dish back there I think..

creeper
04-19-2006, 12:36 AM
King Tut Donair. 12th Ave. and about 13th St. Fucking wicked. :drool:

str8jkt
04-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Can't believe noone has mentioned Taza yet. Located in bridgeland just down from Sushi Zipang (across from the ice cream shop)

They have the best Chicken Shawarma's there from any place I have tried.

msommers
04-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Swarma station on 10st in kensington!!!!

Vagabond142
04-21-2006, 01:37 PM

I live near there... all you have to do is watch the order like a hawk and call on them when they miss something or mess it up. Jimmy is good about fixing things, despite being a little hyper.

dino_martini
04-22-2006, 10:23 AM
u guys are dum

Yup, we sure are DUMB :rolleyes:

Moe Man
04-22-2006, 01:22 PM
there is a place just west of my apartment called the chickpea. very good place

DowntownCowboy
04-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Would Falafel King downtown on 8th St & 1st Ave count as one of those Lebanese places that use the sweet chickpea sauce?

I give it a big :thumbsup: , but even better if they carried lamb. But the Baklava is a nice bonus, and the owner is a nice guy :clap:

Prolifique
04-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Yea ATLAS has some traditional fine pesian food as I know the lady there she's a darling. Anyways on 17th there is a "Bothers Pizza & Donair. They have sub size donairs and delicious lamb shawrmas. Enjoy

clem24
05-01-2006, 10:52 AM
+1 for Cedar's Deli on Edmonton Trail across from Vanier. The chicken thing (they have some special name for it) is awesome. I've tried Moe's, but didn't really like it. But then again, I went on a Wednesday (or was that Tuesday) for the special donair, which was like $3 or something.

My co-worker recommended Baba Ka Daba for Kabobs. It's more Indian, but it's take out only and he says it's very authentic. It's on 17th SE by ZR Auto, in the hood.

turbotrip
05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by str8jkt
Can't believe noone has mentioned Taza yet. Located in bridgeland just down from Sushi Zipang (across from the ice cream shop)

They have the best Chicken Shawarma's there from any place I have tried.

taza is indeed great, they were on the top 15 places to eat in calgary list, and they have a great little atmosphere going, but the only downside is their stuff is extremely oily and ends up dripping all over the place.

Originally posted by clem24
My co-worker recommended Baba Ka Daba for Kabobs. It's more Indian, but it's take out only and he says it's very authentic. It's on 17th SE by ZR Auto, in the hood.

Its Pakistani, and ever since they got new owners its become really good, some professional chef out of England bought the place recently

nonlinear
05-01-2006, 02:05 PM
i just went to some donair/schwarama place on, like, 8th ave and 7th street (?) SW. I can't remember the name or the exact location, but i had a schwarama and it was pretty good. it's also SUPER fast service which is cool if you're in a rush

Weapon_R
05-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i just went to some donair/schwarama place on, like, 8th ave and 7th street (?) SW. I can't remember the name or the exact location, but i had a schwarama and it was pretty good. it's also SUPER fast service which is cool if you're in a rush

I think that place is called "The Chick Pea". Good stuff and the place is cleaner than any other i've ever walked into.

phreezee
05-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Tried Shawarma King on Kensington today, and I think I like Sharwarma Station over it.