PDA

View Full Version : where to get the best steak?!?!?!?

Pages : [1] 2

GQBalla
09-13-2005, 01:31 PM
hehe since i just love my steaks i was wondering where everyone would recommend i go for good steaks?

Weapon_R
09-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Keg - there is slightly better but overall the best value for what you pay.

saiyajin
09-13-2005, 01:34 PM
i heard bearsden is quite good havnt tried it personally tho

EK 2.0
09-13-2005, 01:35 PM
rated in order...

Hy's

Carver's

and the Keg

USED
09-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Vintage chophouse :thumbsup:

GQBalla
09-13-2005, 01:38 PM
wow hey lot of people that love their steaks on here fast ass response!

could i get some address to these places?

Genjuro
09-13-2005, 01:47 PM
my faves:
1. Keg - @ macleod trail
2. Smugglers Inn - @ macleod trail

legendboy
09-13-2005, 01:51 PM
earls steak is better than the keg imo

dennisaur
09-13-2005, 01:52 PM
i like smuggler's inn and the keg myself:thumbsup:

Ben
09-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Keg

Originally posted by EK 2.0
rated in order...

and the Keg

Originally posted by Genjuro
my faves:
1. Keg - @ macleod trail

Originally posted by dennisaur
the keg myself

Are you guys kidding me?

The thread is "BEST STEAK" not "a Steak"

Hy's, Caesars are really good. and I was happy with Vintage...

The Keg is sooo overrated. Steaks are 7/10 at best compared to true steakhouses.

GSR Zero
09-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Hy's or Caesar's has some amazing steaks.

nambis
09-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Are you guys kidding me?

LMFAO

these guys apparently have no clue what a good steak is

EK 2.0
09-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Are you guys kidding me?

The Keg is sooo overrated. Steaks are 7/10 at best compared to true steakhouses.

Ben, I just personally have a HUGE soft spot for the "baseball" steak at the Keg...which is why I rated it third of my "regular" steakhouses...

boostless
09-13-2005, 02:30 PM
caesars :thumbsup:

Sorrik
09-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Smuggler's Inn all the way :thumbsup:

Be sure to try the steak soup mmmmmmmmmmmm :drool:

tjtd00
09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
has to be at the catus club
12 ounce blackened creole, its the best

Impreza
09-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Hy's, Caesar's, Carver's are all good!

Smugglers isn't that great IMO, especially after you have had a good steak from one of the above restaurants.

Vdub_girl
09-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Best steak and prime rib I ever had was at a German restaurant in Cranbrook BC. Smuggler's is pretty good. Making it at home is always great too, that way it's cooked to perfection.

bigboom
09-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Ben, I just personally have a HUGE soft spot for the "baseball" steak at the Keg...which is why I rated it third of my "regular" steakhouses...

i completely agree...the baseball steak by far is one of my favorite.

GQBalla
09-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Hy's, Caesar's, Carver's

could i get some address on these????

definately want to try them out!

hehe i could make them at home but i sometimes just like goin out for steak!

Lex350
09-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Yes, the high end places have a great steak. You also pay for it. The wife and I like the keg because you can get an above average steak for a good price everytime yo go there. I have never had a bad steak there.

t-im
09-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Are you guys kidding me?

Originally posted by nambis

LMFAO

these guys apparently have no clue what a good steak is

:thumbsup:

Keg for best steak? I don't think so.

I love Caesars + Vintage...My last few trips to Hy's hasn't been that great..and same with Smugglers.

BebeAphrodite
09-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by t-im
My last few trips to Hy's hasn't been that great..and same with Smugglers.

Smugglers has never been good for me... it has always tasted pretty bland. I find the same with Keg steaks, not the kind of flavour that I like because I find it has no flavour but the best lobster I've had in a while was from the Keg.

Recently, I had one of the best steaks I've ever had in my life at Sugo... very surprising considering it's an Italian restaurant and not a steak house, but it was melt in your mouth perfection!!!

Hys (mmMmm)
Caesars
Cattle Baron
Vintage
Chicago Chophouse (sooo much better after the renos)

And...I also love Joey's steaks

SI-vic
09-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

And...I also love Joey's steaks

surprisingly very good steak at a cheap price.

I thought Carvers and Saltlick had great steaks.

l8braker
09-13-2005, 07:32 PM
CEASARS!!!

mmmm, my mouth is watering............ ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh/

Rockski
09-13-2005, 09:41 PM
hit up dantes if your ever in edmonton, i LOVE thier steak:drool:

colinderksen
09-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Make sure they serve Sterling Silver. It will be from my old man's slaughter plant (Cargill out in High River). It is the top 10% of AAA.

^SkylinE^
09-13-2005, 10:33 PM
The cattle barron down south in sundance !!! Amazing!!

t-im
09-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
The cattle barron down south in sundance !!! Amazing!!

I agree. Very reasonably priced also.

JordanEG6
09-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
CEASARS!!!

mmmm, my mouth is watering............ ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh/

:werd: X 10!! best STEAK EVAR!! order the 550gram t-bone. CAUTION: you'll probably be shitting bricks because there is SO MUCH MEAT and comes with french onion soup and a stuffed potato. GOOD STUFF :drool:

Ben
09-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I love Caesars, Here's a review I wrote for it a while back:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70439

Daxin
09-14-2005, 12:10 AM
CATTLE BARONS!!!! In sundance, 2 min drive from my house.

I think the Kegs steaks are over rated and they can't seem to cook Medium rare. Always comes out too rare or medium well. God damn.

Another good place to get steaks is Tony Roma's. There, they ask you to cut into the steak right when you get it to see if it is cooked to your liking. I had to return it once.

Kirbs17
09-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Chicago Chophouse is the best. A little pricey, but there top sirloin and prime rib steaks are the best Ive had in Calgary.

Other good choice's:

Saltlik
The Keg (The Sirloin Oscar is amazing!!)
Carvers

civic_stylez
09-14-2005, 11:15 AM
keg for me!:thumbsup:

69cougar
09-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by colinderksen
Make sure they serve Sterling Silver. It will be from my old man's slaughter plant (Cargill out in High River). It is the top 10% of AAA.

:hijack:

That's the meat that they sell at Sobeys now!

syeve
09-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
Chicago Chophouse is the best. A little pricey, but there top sirloin and prime rib steaks are the best Ive had in Calgary.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hy's and Cesars...Have been to both dozens of times, both world class IMO. Alberta beef baby!

Steve

dericer
09-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by syeve

Hy's and Cesars...Have been to both dozens of times, both world class IMO. Alberta beef baby!

Steve

2nd that.

Makes the Keg look like a slop house.

abyss
09-14-2005, 11:38 AM
All the times I'd been to the Keg I was rather unimpressed by the steak. I do like the tomato though. I'd rather go to the Reef and Beef in the hood than the Keg, we always get great service and the steaks are always great whenever we go. I love Smugglers but I always end up ordering the prime rib instead of steak cause it's just so darn good.

89coupe
09-14-2005, 12:16 PM
If you truly want the best steak possible, find a place that serves Kobe Beef. They only place that comes to mind is Sakana Grill. I know they serve it in sushi style but I'm not sure if you can order a grilled steak or not? I do know they have steak on their menu but whether its Kobe Beef or not I cannot say. Be prepared to pay $$$

dericer
09-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by abyss
All the times I'd been to the Keg I was rather unimpressed by the steak. I do like the tomato though. I'd rather go to the Reef and Beef in the hood than the Keg, we always get great service and the steaks are always great whenever we go. I love Smugglers but I always end up ordering the prime rib instead of steak cause it's just so darn good.

Man, nobody knows about Reef and Beef.

Good call.

Kirbs17
09-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Steve

Dont get me wrong, Hy's is good, better than Cesars, but I preferred Chigaco Chophouse much better

SiG Baby
09-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Vintage is my favorite steak

fcuk_it
09-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by abyss

yaaa... reef and beef is the shit... you can't beat the $4.95 steak sandwich or the $18.99 steak and ribs....

asp integra
09-14-2005, 10:54 PM
being in calgary is pretty much steak capital of the world so ur guarenteed to find a good steak at alot of restauraunts, but i think the best steak in town has to be caesars (sp) its the most amazing, best tasting, melt in your mouth steak in the city, wow im hungry now!

Chandler_Racing
09-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by GSR Zero
Hy's or Caesar's has some amazing steaks.
Exactly. The 'large" fillet from Caesers is my favorite, that and the French onion soup.

Sorath
09-14-2005, 11:48 PM
i work at smugglers, personally i think their steaks are really good but not the best, i`d say caesar has the best in calgary

likwid
09-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Eventhough its primarily a seafood restaurant, Oceana has the best steak I have ever eaten.

Rav4Guy
09-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Depends on how much money you want to spend. I'm sure if you pull out the big bucks.. there are a couple places around town. All previously stated of course.

For a decent meal? The Keg or Smugglers.

69cougar
09-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Has anyone tried the Red Carpet Steak House??

kenny
09-15-2005, 08:16 AM
I don't know if its because im a cheap fucker or simply not picky when eating, but I really like the steaks at Joeys. When I eat a steak at a "fancier" place, its better, but not significant enough for me to go there.

dericer
09-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Since you can't eat atmosphere.

Dover Pizza, 52nd and Memorial.

89coupe
09-15-2005, 11:16 AM
The best steak I have ever had at any restaurant is the Gasthaus in Kimberly 1-250-427-4851

The best steak I have ever had period was on my barbecue ;)

cherpintow
09-15-2005, 11:20 AM
I have to say Caesars is the best steak in the city.... And if you happen to order cheese toast with your meal, you will never taste better bread.

89coupe
09-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Which Caesars are you guys referring to? Cause the downtown location is absolutely terrible! I've never been to Macleod Tr location. But if its anything like their downtown location you couldn't pay me to eat there.

syeve
09-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
The best steak I have ever had period was on my barbecue ;)

:werd:

I want to change my vote

googe
09-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Which Caesars are you guys referring to? Cause the downtown location is absolutely terrible! I've never been to Macleod Tr location. But if its anything like their downtown location you couldn't pay me to eat there.

weird, why? ive had it a few times and id be surprised to find better!

Ben
09-15-2005, 11:54 AM

Well you sir, got assfucked by the looks of it.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone whom will agree with that statement. not sure what happened, but thats the first BAD thing I've ever heard about Caesars. Especially to say you couldn't be paid to eat there.

Sucks you missed out...one of the top ranked steak joints in Canada.

89coupe
09-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Well I probably have lunch at the downtown location at least twice a year over the last 11 years (not by choice) and everytime I have been there the steak was marginal at best.

Maybe you diehard Caesar guys don't know what you are missing elsewhere...LOL.

Originally posted by Ben

Well you sir, got assfucked by the looks of it.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone whom will agree with that statement. not sure what happened, but thats the first BAD thing I've ever heard about Caesars. Especially to say you couldn't be paid to eat there.

Sucks you missed out...one of the top ranked steak joints in Canada.

Genjuro
09-15-2005, 01:33 PM
ok so where is this ceasers ?

anyone tried New York New York?

Ben:
i said i like keg cause I like keg.. its mo. you like what you like.
your arguement is like coke vs pepsi.

Ben
09-15-2005, 01:41 PM

your arguement is like coke vs pepsi.

Yeah, it's people opinion, I'll give you that, however my argument would be more like Presidents Choice Pop, versus Pepsi.

Both are colas, one is more expensive, both are basically the same thing, but the name brand stuff (coke/pepsi) taste better.

The odd person wont agree, however statistically, you'll be happier with your steak from Caesars, and other like menued/similar cost establishments, over a cookie cutter yuppy chain like the Keg.

Well I probably have lunch at the downtown location at least twice a year over the last 11 years (not by choice) and everytime I have been there the steak was marginal at best.

Welp, not sure what I can say about that...sucks to hear, frankly I could care less, as I have no affiliations with any restaurants in Calgary, other than what you've experienced is NOT the norm...to have a shitty steak from there 22 times...thats impossible IMO. But, maybe you just look for something else in a steak than most people. :dunno:

I will continue taking friends and family there, as we have never once had a bad experience, food or service.

dericer
09-15-2005, 01:46 PM

Do you get sirloin, or New York cuts?

Those cuts are marginal cuts anyways. A resteraunt is only as good as it's beef (a quote from my uncle who owned a deli)

But I agree. Coke vs. Pepsi

Besides, Coke is way better :D

89coupe
09-15-2005, 01:46 PM
I just had lunch at Sakana Grill today and I was talking with one of the restaurant managers and he confirmed with me that from time to time they bring in a batch of Kobe Beef. If you want the best cut of beef possible I suggest you phone Sakana Grill and ask when their next shippment comes in and have them grill you up a nice 10oz steak.

For those that are not familiar...

Go here www.kobe-beef.com

LowRiderHD2000
09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
The Bears Den also cooks a good steak.

Try the Bears Den Trio. :thumbsup:

googe
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM

fair enough, i should check out some other places...but even so, can you honestly describe it as "absolutely terrible"? thats gotta be an over exaggeration :)

Genjuro
09-15-2005, 02:13 PM
ceasers = where?
i'll go tommorow

Ben
09-15-2005, 02:22 PM
ceasers = where?
i'll go tommorow

512 4th Ave SW

89coupe
09-15-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm really picky about how my steak is cooked. Most restaurants end up cooking it too much, including Caesars. A steak should be rare, not medium rare, not medium, not well done. Anything above rare is dog scraps IMO. :D

Originally posted by googe

fair enough, i should check out some other places...but even so, can you honestly describe it as "absolutely terrible"? thats gotta be an over exaggeration :)

anyone
09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
The Metropolitan Grill on 8th ave has amazing steaks. There is one labled "The Metropolitan Sirloin" which is an 8oz. steak with 2 massive prawns. The Prawns look like lobster tails they're so huge, and covered in Bernaise sauce, its amazing.

One thing I'd like to clear up, Saltlik and Joey's get the same cut of beef as they're brother companies. Both very good steaks.

I agree with the acclaim regarding Kobe Beef. I haven't heard of a steak which more care taken to assure its quality.

CRX-R
09-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Reef and Beef is good but,

1. Ceasars
2. Cattle Baron
3. Chophouse

CRX-R
09-15-2005, 03:01 PM
The keg is for people who order their steaks anywhere over medium

Nissanaddict
09-20-2005, 11:23 PM
I've heard good things bout the baron. I should go there. It's walking distance from me.

Tyler883
09-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Rotten Ronnies doesn't have them because that would be a McSteak. j/k

digi355
09-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Hy's by far but i am a sucker for the old baseball steak from the Keg as well.

climer
09-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Wow !

A thread about steaks and not one mention of the Steak Pit in Bragg Creek ? That's one of the only reasons I go there these days. :bigpimp:

dragonone
09-27-2005, 04:13 PM
hy's, caesar's, metropolitan grill
like someone else said, it's best steak, not value steak
and i can't believe someone mentioned sakana here, wtf, it's like one of the worst places for jap food

phreezee
09-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Going to try Caesar's tonight! I'll report back.
She's having The Ultimate, and I'll be having the T-Bone.

As for appetizer?
Scampi – Garlic or Breaded with Chef’s Sauce
OR
Barbecue Ribs?

Dessert: Homemade Cheesecake

sputnik
09-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Going to try Caesar's tonight! I'll report back.
She's having The Ultimate, and I'll be having the T-Bone.

As for appetizer?
Scampi – Garlic or Breaded with Chef’s Sauce
OR
Barbecue Ribs?

Dessert: Homemade Cheesecake

Why would you go to a place like Caesars and order a T-Bone? Those are the steaks I buy when I have too many people over and dont want to buy a tenderloin.

I would go with the Filet Mignon personally. Guaranteed to melt in your mouth.

As for appetizers, when I go with the guys from work we usually polish off a couple orders of cheese toast. I think it has crack in it because we cant get enough. Scampi should never be breaded (unless you are at Long John Silver's) go with garlic butter.

phreezee
09-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the advice! I was gonna get the T-bone, cause you get 2 cuts in 1 steak... I can always steal some of her filet I guess... I may change my mind from your advice.:thumbsup:

Ever have the Ribs appetizer? Should I even consider it?

89coupe
09-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Cause they are the only place I know of that brings in Kobe Beef...smartass.

Originally posted by dragonone
hy's, caesar's, metropolitan grill
like someone else said, it's best steak, not value steak
and i can't believe someone mentioned sakana here, wtf, it's like one of the worst places for jap food

dragonone
09-28-2005, 03:16 PM
yeah i'm sure it tastes really gd there too fucker

dimsum125
09-28-2005, 10:35 PM
SMUGGLER'S INN
It's HEAVEN:thumbsup:

DuPont
09-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Carvers
Cattle Baron
Saw Mill on Gateway Ave in Edmonton.

Anyone ever have the "Calgary Cut" at Nicks' on Crowchild? 30oz!! :D

2000_SI
09-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by DuPont
Carvers
Cattle Baron
Saw Mill on Gateway Ave in Edmonton.

Anyone ever have the "Calgary Cut" at Nicks' on Crowchild? 30oz!! :D

:werd: to Cattle Baron, especaily the one in Sundance...:drool:

phreezee
09-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Went to Caesar's last night, and honestly, it was good but not great.

Had the ribs for appetizers, and they were tender and the sauce was ok. Her lobster was good, as was her filet. My T-bone was ok, the New York strip was really tender but the tenderloin was tough.

Nothing memorable, as I've had better... but then again I paid more for those times LOL.

They still get a :thumbsup: from me, but it won't be high on my list to visit again anytime soon.

Weapon_R
09-29-2005, 04:20 PM

Had the ribs for appetizers, and they were tender and the sauce was ok. Her lobster was good, as was her filet. My T-bone was ok, the New York strip was really tender but the tenderloin was tough.

Nothing memorable, as I've had better... but then again I paid more for those times LOL.

They still get a :thumbsup: from me, but it won't be high on my list to visit again anytime soon.

Ain't that the truth. It's good, the atmosphere is incredible but there are better places.

89coupe
09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Exactly.

I'm willing to bet the people who are raving about Caesars are people who have never tried anywhere else. Suckers:rofl:

sputnik
09-29-2005, 05:00 PM

Didnt I tell you NOT to get the t-bone and to get the filet instead?

How did you get your steak done?

Did you get the cheese toast?

sputnik
09-29-2005, 05:06 PM
To be honest though. When it comes to overall experience. I prefer the Keg. More casual atmosphere and pretty consistant steaks.

There is one in Toronto on King St that feels like an upscale Barlow Cactus Club... has Earls caliber waitresses and plasma screens behind the bar. Really nice place.

Ben
09-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Exactly.

I'm willing to bet the people who are raving about Caesars are people who have never tried anywhere else. Suckers:rofl:

Meh, I've already said it might not be for everyone. But I've slutted myself out to a LOT of restaurants in and around town, and HAVE tried something else. I only get the rib eye at Caesars however, so I cant speak for the rest of them.

Stop being a complete prick about it BTW. :dunno:

And one more thing, as Sputnik said earlier...why the t-bone? So many far superior cuts than that.

phreezee
09-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Like I said, I wanted to try all three of their cuts in one night. I did get to try their filet. From previous experience, I've had better filet mignon.

sputnik
09-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Like I said, I wanted to try all three of their cuts in one night. I did get to try their filet. From previous experience, I've had better filet mignon.

How did you get your steaks done?

89coupe
09-30-2005, 10:46 AM
LOL...I'm just poking fun...relax ;)

Originally posted by Ben

Meh, I've already said it might not be for everyone. But I've slutted myself out to a LOT of restaurants in and around town, and HAVE tried something else. I only get the rib eye at Caesars however, so I cant speak for the rest of them.

Stop being a complete prick about it BTW. :dunno:

And one more thing, as Sputnik said earlier...why the t-bone? So many far superior cuts than that.

Ben
09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
LOL...I'm just poking fun...relax ;)

Actually I can appreciate that. :thumbsup:

Have a good weekend man.

GTS Jeff
09-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Only in Alberta would Steak be the cause of so much animosity. :)

sputnik
09-30-2005, 12:20 PM
One of my favorite steakhouses in Alberta is still the Sawmill in Edmonton.

However thats due to their homemade steaksauce.

:drool:

phreezee
09-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

How did you get your steaks done?

I asked for it rare, but admittedly I think it came out more on the medium to medium-rare side. That would be the restaurants fault. As for service, I'm used to getting a quality check after a few bites but this guy asked "how was it?" when he picked up our plates.

jackylau
09-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Hy's, Caesars

kiwi
09-30-2005, 01:42 PM
mmm... Alberta beef... :drool:

Maybe it's all just in my head, but I was in Toronto for a week, & everytime we ordered something with beef in it, the meat tasted so weird... lol

No one else seemed to notice any difference though... :nut:

DuPont
09-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
One of my favorite steakhouses in Alberta is still the Sawmill in Edmonton.

However thats due to their homemade steaksauce.

:drool:

:werd: I could drink a bottle of that stuff!:barf:

:drool:wild mushroom steak, or prime rib neptune style. :drool:

It's shitty theres no Sawmill franchises here in Calgary, theres like 4 in Edmonton.:thumbsdow

kiwi
10-03-2005, 09:55 PM
I tried Carver's about 2 weeks ago, & it was really good.

Tried Caesar's tonight, & I was really happy with it too! Caesar's is fancier than Carver's though in terms of almost everything! ha ha