PDA

View Full Version : Bill of Sale = Temporary Insurance?

97GSR
09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
I am looking into buying an 89 Fairlady, and the out of province inspection was done today. It failed for a minor reason, and I cannot get insurance for it until it passes. The guy I am buying it from told me that the bill of sale he wrote up for me would be considered 7-day temporary insurance, so that I could drive it from Edmonton to Calgary to get fixed. I have no idea if this is true or not, so could someone help me out?

camaro
09-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by 97GSR
I am looking into buying an 89 Fairlady, and the out of province inspection was done today. It failed for a minor reason, and I cannot get insurance for it until it passes. The guy I am buying it from told me that the bill of sale he wrote up for me would be considered 7-day temporary insurance, so that I could drive it from Edmonton to Calgary to get fixed. I have no idea if this is true or not, so could someone help me out?

Umm no. The bill of sale only provides you to drive unregistered for 2 weeks, but thats it. If you crash the car who pays the insurance... the bill of sale? haha

97GSR
09-13-2005, 07:13 PM
I know it sounded wierd to me too...that's why I came here for a second opinion :)

Darkane
09-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I think there is a 14 day conversion If you got ANOTHER car with insurance. Transfer the plates and I think it works that way. I might be wrong though.

Raz
09-13-2005, 07:35 PM
take plates off another registered and insured car, put plate on new pretty car, drive new pretty car around geting fixed for 14 days, after that you HAVE to insure and register new pretty car or you could end up with a 2500 dollar fine :(

- Rasmus

97GSR
09-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Raz
take plates off another registered and insured car, put plate on new pretty car, drive new pretty car around geting fixed for 14 days, after that you HAVE to insure and register new pretty car or you could end up with a 2500 dollar fine :(

- Rasmus

Not that I don't believe you but I don't suppose you could link me to something? My insurance agency lied to me if that's the case and I would like some proof...I just cancelled my old insurance today. :banghead:

Raz
09-13-2005, 07:46 PM
I have this straight from the police here in calgary (403) 266 1234 , it's called the fourteen day "Grace" period, where you can transport a vehicle around for temporary purposes up to a fortnight based on the fact that you have another vehicle with insurance and registration in your name

Oh another thing, keep the reg and ins papers from other car in the fairlady while driving it, to prove that its your plate, etc.

- Rasmus

p.s if you need like cheap insurance for a few days, blue circle (403) 770 4949 can probably help you out, very very nice people! :)

mutsuraboshi
09-13-2005, 08:47 PM
there is such a thing as an out of province inspection?
and if so it applies to vehichles from edmonton?
not trying to be a smart alleck my frend sent a car over for me from quebec

mutsuraboshi
09-13-2005, 08:48 PM
nvm its prolly a car from importconcern stocked in edmonton rite

97GSR
09-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by mutsuraboshi
nvm its prolly a car from importconcern stocked in edmonton rite

Yup

gen2teggy
09-13-2005, 08:51 PM
yep u cant drive wit ur fairlady...for 14days...just make sure u have the bill of sale

OrderedCHAOS
09-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Raz

- Rasmus

Let me get this straight? ......... So if I had a registered and insured Honda Civic already and I bought a Lamborghini..... I got insurance for the new Lamborghini for 14 days at low Honda Civic rates just by swapping the plates over and having a bill of sale? How does that work?

My insurance company said that I had to get temporary insurance provided by them to transport my new car home. Luckily to get temporary insurance with the pink slip (printed from a PDF) for a few days was free, so I did it that way to keep my bases covered in case something happened. The bill of sale basically acts like a temp registration when coupled with your plate. I don't fully trust my insurance company, so they could be wrong, who knows? Better safe than sorry.

Raz
09-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Better safe than sorry yes, if you purchased said Lamborghini for cash, ie no lean on the title, you'd have PLPD insurance on it for two weeks. I forgot to mention that, coverage of the vehicle is NOT included in the grace period, only if you run over a bus full of children.

- Rasmus

C4S
09-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Well, when you hv new car, you have to have insurance for it, you can put your plate from your old car for ~14 days but not insurance! ( you hv to sold that car already, and just buy a new car)

You can go to a police station, and ask them!

That was how I got my $2500 fine few yrs ago! Even I had valid insurance on my other car, and I put the plate from the other car(with valid insurance) .. and I put the plate and my pink card on the car I newly bought back then...

Well, one time, I was lucky, I just bought a car, and I got stopped in the same day, I just showed my bill of sale to the police... and he didn't give me shit .... however, just happend to me last yr, I just sold my other car, and bought another one, and hv my plate, and pink card with me (valid).. a police stopped me, and gave me ticket, and towed my car away! untill I got my insurance fully transfered, and regis! then I could get my car back! I ended up paying my insurance company, and asked them to write a letter, to prove that I "supposed" to hv insurance on my newly bought car!! so, I could stay away with another $2500 ticket!
:banghead:

Don't take a change! :( it could cost you near $3,000! you can probaby buy another fairlady for that kind of money! :(

spanky99
09-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

kenny
09-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Just to clarify for those doing this.

The bill of sale is NOT temporary registration. If you need temporary registration you need to goto the registry with your bill of sale + insurance and pay for a temporary permit. This permit is called an intransit permit and is used to move unregistered vehicles.

Insurance does not transfer. Go test out the shitbox -> ferrari experiement if you want. Good luck on having your insurance company cover you while you get sued after killing 20 people and paying only $100 for a shitbox (old vehicle).

So for those that want a quick summary, the ONLY proper/legal way of driving a car in this situation is:

1. Go buy insurance on your vehicle, temp or perm. it does not matter, but you NEED insurance for the time you are driving it around.

2. Go get an intransit permit at your local registry. The price of this permit ranges from $15 - $22.

Don't listen to what your friend said, or what your dad said, or even what your dog told you.

Team_Mclaren
09-13-2005, 11:48 PM
you can call your insurance company and have them transfer your existing insurance to the new car for a set period of time. They will fax you a temp insurance slip. Show that to the cops if you do get pull over. and your set.

Aleks
09-13-2005, 11:49 PM
What i did when i bought my last car:

Made a deal on new car, cancelled insurance on my old car, tranffered to new car, had my insurance company fax me the temp. insurance slip, went to the registration place (with temp insurance slip for new car, and bill of sale!) and swapped registration from old car to new. Only then did i take that plate and go to pick up my new ride. This way you're 100% legal and you can do all this in less than 1 hour!

kenny
09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Oops, I should clarify. I meant insurance does not transfer to new vehicle simply by moving your license plate to newly purchased vehicle from an older insured and registered vehicle.

googe
09-14-2005, 01:04 AM
bottom line, do not drive a car without proof of insurance. it doesnt matter if you actually have insurance or not, you need PROOF of insurance for when you get pulled over. and insurance is tied to the vehicle, NOT the driver.

you are allowed to transfer your plates for 14 days without registering the car though. that wont help you with insurance however.

but actually the shitbox -> ferrari experiment will work in alberta for 14 days for other reasons. it sounds dumb, but legally your insurance company has to insure you for a minimum of 14 days if you get a replacement vehicle. but still, if you dont have proof of insurance with your name and the vin of the vehicle you get pulled over in, life will suck :)

Sorath
09-14-2005, 01:59 AM
when the car reaches vancouver, it passes customs, at this time a company will register ur car's vin number in canada, then all u need is ur bill of sale, and call ur insurance to insure the car, usually its 2 weeks, but some insurance companies give up to a month to get ur registration done, meaning getting the out of province inspection done

3G
09-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Alot of misinformation in this thread, I actually e-mailed the CPS regarding this here's what I got back.

ou are NOT permitted to use a valid plate to transport a newly purchased vehicle unless the vehicle it was on is no longer in a running roadworthy condition. You have 14 days to properly register the vehicle after purchase. The insurance is different. Alberta has private insurance and as such you are required to have it prior to driving the vehicle. Your insurance company MAY allow you to notify them upon purchase and grant permission to drive until you attend to get the pink card. You have to ask them. The police have the authority to tow vehicles and ticket drivers suspected of driving without valid insurance and/or registration.

sorry for bringin up a old thread

thetrousertrout
09-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Getting my Civic back on the road, and went into AMA to ask about putting insurance on the civic to get an inspection done.

for them, I am allowed 14 days to transfer the licence plate and insurance over to the civic from my grand am. all I have to do is call them, and let them know I transfered this stuff over, and come in sometime in the next 14 days to do the paperwork.

And as far as transfering insurance from one car to another like this, all that is transfered is PLPD. PLPD is the same price for you, weather you drive a lambo, or a pinto, it is the same. What causes the higher prices in insurance is the add-ons like collision and such. Much higher cost to the insurance company to fix a wrecked lambo then a wrecked pinto.

googe
09-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by 3G
Alot of misinformation in this thread, I actually e-mailed the CPS regarding this here's what I got back.

sorry for bringin up a old thread

the first 2 sentences there contradict each other. their reply doesnt make sense. :dunno:

anyway, you are allowed to plate swap until you register the new car regardless of condition of the old one. id ask them to quote the relevant laws, cause when ive looked it doesnt make any mention of condition and its done pretty frequently. and how is a cop gonna know what the vehicle looks/runs like that you took the plate off of when they pull you over in your new car? could be wrong but i think whoever wrote that is out to lunch.