PDA

View Full Version : drivers or how to get shaw hdtv box connected via firewire

GoChris
09-14-2005, 11:38 PM
so someone sent me a link on avsforums to get the shaw 62xx box working via firewire. i dont even know if the port is active.

i want to grab some hdtv streams. anyone done this (rage2?) and can give me a few tips?

:thumbsup:

Impreza
09-15-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm pretty sure all the firewire ports on the Shaw terminals are active.

GoChris
09-15-2005, 07:56 AM
right thats what I thought. but I am having trouble getting the drivers installed.

When I first plugged it in, it listed a few devices such as
av/c tuner
av/c panel
(or pretty close to that)
plus a few unknown

so I installed a driver following some guide, but I realized I didnt do it exactly right.

I then uninstalled the driver and rebooted. now instead of showing those things again, all I get now is ONE unknow device and thats it. so something is a bit wrong.

hedge
09-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Here's the procedure, it says for 6412 but I think it's the same for the 6208
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html#Setting_up_for_drivers_for_DCT6412

GoChris
09-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by hedge
Here's the procedure, it says for 6412 but I think it's the same for the 6208
http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html

thanks I will try that out

GoChris
09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
oh, I dunno if it matters but im doing this on a windows 2003 box.

i think the problem might be it doesnt detect very consistently so i might have to wait until I get home and try to unplug, and plug it in over and over till it shows up correctly as something.

plus i can only connect to the box (even at home) via remote desktop (ts) cause I dont have it hooked up to a monitor. it sits behind the tv now

rage2
09-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I've only done it on XP, not sure if it works for Windows 2003. Those are the instructions I followed as well.

Even tho the firewire port is active, Shaw enabled the 5c flag on all HD channels, which doesn't allow firewire output. People were complaining about that because the 5c flag was designed for US markets, and not meant for network channels such as fox, cbs, abc, nbc, etc. Shaw just enabled it for all HD channels. This was about 8 months ago.

Not sure if the complaints are heard and if Shaw reversed the decision, but if the 5c flag is active on all channels, it won't send through firewire, and so you can't record it.

rage2
09-15-2005, 11:16 AM
update - looks like 5c is off again so it can be recorded in Calgary. Just remember shaw has the ability to turn that on or off at any time.

GoChris
09-15-2005, 12:09 PM
alright, thanks for the info. i will try again today after work to get it to pop up in win2k3...if not, *sigh* I might have to go back to xp. I just finished installing 2k3 on that box lol so I could play with DCs and exchange etc and virtual servers.

seems like I need a another box at home...now only if I had a job in 2 weeks when my current one ends :(

GoChris
09-15-2005, 10:37 PM
wow just got it work, wow this is cool

im gonna take these HDTV shows, every 4 eps or so I will convert and burn onto a dvdr with menu and everything :)

how neat though to have more storage to record. now only if i could just plug a firewire drive right into the pvr for more space.

rage2
09-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Why downres and DVD it? Burn the shows onto DVD, or dual layer, or save 'em to your hard drive, and get a HD DVD/network player and watch 'em in HD.

GoChris
09-16-2005, 10:16 AM
well now that my pc is directly behind my tv, I could grab an hdmi cable and plug the thing into the tv. I dont think I have onboard dvi though so I'll have to throw in a vid card or steal my 9200 from main box and give that a whirl.