PDA

View Full Version : monster cable??

wagovan
09-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if there were any places that sell "Monster cable" for stereos and such in Calgary??
http://www.buyextras.com/mo3totworcam.html
thanks

jaysas_63
09-15-2005, 07:42 PM
i bought some monster cables from future shop, pretty expensive tho

wagovan
09-15-2005, 11:25 PM
cool thanks I'll check them out.
I hear the monster cables are the best out there though.
Supposedly you can really tell the difference with them and regular cheap ones

SWX
09-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Moster is okay for home but has no place in a car anymore, the cable they are putting their money in to is home audio not car. Most of the "car" wiring they have now is repackaged home stuff with no proper shielding for automotive use. I would look to a company that does just car audio wiring, that way their focus will be on the best posiable cable for your car.

DC2
09-15-2005, 11:42 PM
find someone that works at best buy or future shop...
mark up is AMAZING on that stuff.... its almost 50% off with a staff discount ;)

googe
09-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by wagovan
cool thanks I'll check them out.
I hear the monster cables are the best out there though.
Supposedly you can really tell the difference with them and regular cheap ones

of course you hear that, otherwise they wouldnt make money because people would know better than to buy their useless overpriced hyped up crap :)

as the saying goes, a fool and his money are soon parted!

robpark
09-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Monster is good. I have the Monster HD cables for my XBOX, and they RAPE the official Microsoft HD cables... Not exactly the same as auto cables, but...the quality is in the home stuff...

googe
09-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by robpark
Monster is good. I have the Monster HD cables for my XBOX, and they RAPE the official Microsoft HD cables... Not exactly the same as auto cables, but...the quality is in the home stuff...

ill bet you your xbox that you cant tell the difference.

dmtx
09-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by googe

of course you hear that, otherwise they wouldnt make money because people would know better than to buy their useless overpriced hyped up crap :)

as the saying goes, a fool and his money are soon parted!

I agree.... they are just overpriced like you wouldn't believe.

I am using monster cable myself but that was because I got it for at a clearance sale price.... lower price that speaker cables you can buy from RONA or homedepot!

Jonathan@TCS
09-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Monster has a big name for itself, unfortunately they built that name in home audio. But even their home stuff is overpriced. I used to work in a high end Home audio shop, and my boss had the option to carry it, and he chose not to because it wasn't worth the prices that it sells for. As a retailer, you can't sell something that you don't think is worth it to the customer.

As I always say, don't get caught up in brand names. Look at the actual quality of the product, before you buy!

nugen power
09-21-2005, 11:12 AM
monster is indeed expensive shit:eek:

403Gemini
09-21-2005, 01:03 PM

what are you willing to bet back? say 200 bucks?

.... that would be the easiest 200 bucks ive ever made

take grand theft auto san andreas for example. the font is VERY hazy even on my parents sony vega with regular sony cables. bought monster cables, 100% crystal clear.

so wheres my 200 or your xbox?

1-Bar
09-21-2005, 01:08 PM
I do agree that monster stuff is expensive, but I would fork out the money for the '2' series end. Working in electronics for a couple of years and you do really see the difference; better quality construct in cables, gold plated ends....etc IMO you don't wanna buy some cheap ass cables on your nice big LCD, its like buying no name brand tires for your ride....all that money and it performs like crap cause you cheaped out.....

Aleks
09-21-2005, 01:14 PM
London drugs used to sell it when i worked there. I could buy it for 50% off :poosie:

futurecivic
09-21-2005, 01:35 PM
i get one hell of a discount on it at futureshop its rediculus how exspensive they are retail

_integra_typeR_
09-21-2005, 03:01 PM
go to like audio concepts they sell it bulk! and more!

wagovan
09-21-2005, 06:47 PM
thanks for the imput guys:thumbsup:
mish appreciated

camaro
09-21-2005, 06:57 PM

OK PM me and come down to my house and have a look. haha I am serious this cable blows the OEM ones away when it comes to XBox. Worth every penny. I bought my from ebay for like 12 bucks.

toyboy88
09-21-2005, 08:51 PM
i know this was started for wires for the car, but just got a new home theater and dad wanted to "max it out" with 100% mosnter cables and all i can say is the cables was nearly as expensive as the plasma tv! :eek:

derek123
09-21-2005, 08:59 PM
too bad there's better for (much) less.

anyone who pays retail for monster is a fool.

googe
09-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

what are you willing to bet back? say 200 bucks?

.... that would be the easiest 200 bucks ive ever made

take grand theft auto san andreas for example. the font is VERY hazy even on my parents sony vega with regular sony cables. bought monster cables, 100% crystal clear.

so wheres my 200 or your xbox?

you do realize that they have to be the same type of cable (ie component vs component) right? i sure hope you werent comparing the sony RCAs that it comes with to a set of monster component cables. the difference can be seen comparing ANY rca to ANY component.

if you mean component vs component, ive got a set i picked up from walmart and my $200 ready to pit up against your monsters and your xbox :)

prodjsxb
09-22-2005, 06:09 AM
yep the "phillips" top end wires at w-mart are the best for the money for home use, the "scosche" or something like that are pretty well shielded and for the price also good for car use.

Most wires today all come from the same off shore suppliers and are just packaged and labelled per brand. You wouldnt beleive how similar some of the phillips, monster and AR ones look side by side.

xtreme prelude
09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
i got monster cables back when they were being custom built for car specific application. really expensive and had nothing to compare them to but the connectors back then were huge and looked too agressive to not buy them.

worked great and still have them for the next car and they are at least 10 years old now. good quality.

googe
09-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by xtreme prelude
but the connectors back then were huge and looked too agressive to not buy them.

:rofl: :banghead:

rage2
09-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Take a cheap set of shielded component cables. Compare them to a set of Monster component cables. 10x the price, same video image.

I use my xbox all the time to calibrate TV's. Great way to display calibration images in various inputs and resolution. The calibration images will shows any sign of noise or interference, much better than using a specific game or scene. I don't use monster cables.

The biggest suckers are the ones that buy the super pricey Monster digital cables. HDMI, DVI, TOSLink, or even coaxial digital audio. Digital is great, you either get a signal or you don't. There's no inbetween. Audio/Video quality does not change at all when using digital connections regardless of interference. If the interference is bad, you just wont get anything.

Hash_man
09-22-2005, 05:15 PM
When talking home audio I cant see the cables making a huge difference, but In car audio a good RCA can make a world of difference... and IMO i think monster makes excellent RCA;'s for car audio, I still think they are the best on the market, especially when you are talking about their high end RCA's like the MicroXLN and 401... But the markup on them is rediculous.

Chris @ Mitek
09-22-2005, 09:33 PM
I wont say that moster doesn't make a good cable but for car use they are FAR from the best, the car cable is repackaged home product and does NOT have the proper shielding for car use.

Phat_Tercel_YO!
09-22-2005, 10:09 PM
What is the proper shielding for car use?

Chris @ Mitek
09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
A twisted pair or hyper twisted pair, somthing that is not co-axial. Just because the cable is thick doesn't mean that it's better, in this case. Also using a shielding that can with stand the cold and vibrations you would find in a car enviroment. The other thing to look for is somthing with an end that will stay on your connections with the vibrating mentioned earlier. With the Streetwires brand all of these things are looked at very closely, we use a split pin design that is spread apart and basicaly locks in the female end of the connector. As well we use very flexable jacteks on all our cable that don't frezze and crack in the cold. With Streetwires it is a brand that is made exclusively for automotive use so it has had all of these areas addressed.

koopkoop2
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This thread is damn funny. So many people seem to live by "More money = Better", even when they don't know what they're buying. They just assmue that the manufacturer was including extra features when they decided to establish a higher price point - even if they don't understand the jargon behind any of these features. Monster has successfully raped many customers due to their lack of knowledge in electronics and their belief in the "More money = Better" mantra.

This graph pretty much sums up Monster and the complete article is hilarious:

http://i.somethingawful.com/news/2004/12/21-monster-chart.gif

http://i.somethingawful.com/news/2004/12/21-chart.png

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2559

AND

http://www.monstergreed.com/Index%20with%20info%20about%20MC.htm

Chris @ Mitek
09-25-2005, 09:34 PM
^^^^^^^ that is funny and so very true of monster.

googe
09-25-2005, 09:45 PM
^^so true :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
09-25-2005, 09:45 PM
I'd never buy Monster products. Not because of the quality, not because of the price, but becuase of all the strongarm legal bullshit they do. Trademarking the word "Monster", and then suing every other company out there that even indirectly uses the word, unless they pay royalties for every item they sell? Give me a break.