PDA

View Full Version : Lemon laws

DeathBy240
09-15-2005, 10:41 PM
I just bought a used car, took it for a test trive when i went and looked at it, it started up fine, drove fine, ran fine.

Went and picked it up tonight, got too blocks and no it wont start. Tried all the obvious things, it sputters but wont catch. It has gas.

I am going back tomorrow to try and start it again but I am wondering if there are any lemon laws in Alberta. If I get a car privately and it makes it two blocks then dies, I am entitled to a refund. The Bill of sale says as is where is, but nothing about final sale.

Anyone have some insight?

Raz
09-15-2005, 10:47 PM
no such thing, all sales are final, especially in a private sale with as is/where is.

What car is it?

Rockski
09-15-2005, 10:50 PM
ooooo sorry dude by YOU GOT SERVED... especially if the bill of sale says "as is" in it

crazytou
09-15-2005, 10:52 PM
fix the car submit the bill with youre case in small claims court you win you get the cash for what was wrong with the car. i just won a case like that 2 weeks ago...

BerserkerCatSplat
09-16-2005, 12:20 AM
The best you can hope for is either the seller have an attack of good conscience and refund/repair car, or you can take it to small claims court and hope the judge sides with you.

I would take it to a mechanic and make sure it's really broken before taking it to court, though. There are no clear-cut laws for private sales in Alberta.

maximus
09-16-2005, 12:28 AM
That really sucks man but you really should have taken it for an inspection before you sold it. I've been there before and unfortunately you have to chalk this one up as a lesson learned (hopefully it didn't cost too much). I could never sell a car to someone that has any major problems like that but unfortunately the world is full of scum bags.

Hash_man
09-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Definately should have gotten an inspection... but like said above seeing as the sale was as is, there is nothing you can do.

mshaw
09-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Hash_man
Definately should have gotten an inspection... but like said above seeing as the sale was as is, there is nothing you can do.

ALWAYS ALWAYS get an inspection done

mroseneder
09-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Good luck. I got hosed by a dealership on my first car. Mind you, they aren't in business anymore.... but I got nothing back and am still paying for the car...

TurboZombie
09-16-2005, 08:56 AM
I had an inspection done and still got screwed as the tranny died a week later! Depends what's wrong with your new used car, an inspection may or may not have found that problem. :dunno:

crazytou
09-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by TurboZombie
I had an inspection done and still got screwed as the tranny died a week later! Depends what's wrong with your new used car, an inspection may or may not have found that problem. :dunno:

sorry to here that man.

RUQUIKR
09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
The truth is "as is where is " means nothing according to AMVIC law. If I were you I would talk to the seller and if no luck there see if AMVIC can provide you with info pertaining to private sales. Also find out how many cars this person has sold recently, if they are over a certain # ( 6 I believe) the seller must be certified by the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council. Good luck.

DeathBy240
09-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Well I am not terriubly concerned about it. I'm only out the $300 I paid for the car at this point. I wasnt going to get the thing inspected since it only cost that much. If it wasnt just a $300 beater I definitely would have had it inspected.

Anyway, gonna try and get it running, if not I guess I'll see how much a wrecker will give me for it.

Thanks for the comments.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-16-2005, 05:29 PM
What kind of car is it? Maybe you could part it out for more money than you paid for it...

OrderedCHAOS
09-16-2005, 07:06 PM
That's pretty bold thinking that a $300 car is going to run like a top with no issues whatsoever.

maximus
09-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by OrderedCHAOS
That's pretty bold thinking that a $300 car is going to run like a top with no issues whatsoever.

No kidding! What did you expect for $300??
:rolleyes:

schurchill39
09-17-2005, 11:23 AM
i am actually looking for a beater i was in your boat except i drove the car for a week and now it wont run. Oh well its only 300, cut your losses try and sell it as "needs work" and get yourself something that does run

DeathBy240
09-17-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by OrderedCHAOS

When the hell did I say that I thought that? It clearly needs work...

I didnt expect a fucking Rolls Royce or anything but after taking it for a test drive I at least expected it to make it home.

I have bought $300-500 cars for beaters for the past 4 or 5 years and they have all made it through the winter fine.

OrderedCHAOS
09-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by DeathBy240

When the hell did I say that I thought that? It clearly needs work----------

I got it all from your first post.

You drove car. It worked.
You bought car. Died on the way home.

Now you are wondering about lemon laws and getting back your money. You bought a $300 car and you want a warranty and a "performance" guarantee for it which I though was absurd. That is all.

Originally posted by DeathBy240
[B]I just bought a used car, took it for a test trive when i went and looked at it, it started up fine, drove fine, ran fine.

Went and picked it up tonight, got too blocks and no it wont start. Tried all the obvious things, it sputters but wont catch. It has gas.

I am going back tomorrow to try and start it again but I am wondering if there are any lemon laws in Alberta. If I get a car privately and it makes it two blocks then dies, I am entitled to a refund. The Bill of sale says as is where is, but nothing about final sale.

Anyone have some insight?