PDA

View Full Version : Calgary police cheif say they can't solve gang problems

dmtx
09-16-2005, 09:15 AM
:thumbsdow

calgary gangsters must be giggling right now.....

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Calgary/2005/09/16/1219614-sun.html

Khyron
09-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Uh it's called a reality check? He was asked if a city of 1 million people could eliminate gangs entirely. He said no, which is the only correct answer. He didn't say they're going to quit going after them. :banghead:

Khyron

cman
09-16-2005, 09:28 AM
obviously they cannot fully get rid of all the gangs, in a city of a million there is always going to be gangs and organized crime.
I dont see what the huge uproar is about, like Khyron said, its just a realtiy check...if we didnt already realize that before:dunno:

l8braker
09-16-2005, 09:34 AM
REALITY CHECK, gangs are not going anywhere.!! man so many canadians think that life is full of leprochons, rainbows and little bunnies running around. lol. anyways, we can take these guys down now, but a new crop a them will spring up picking up where they left off..... sad but true. it's not like the cheif said theyre going to stop looking for them

dmtx
09-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I just thought that reality check is not the issue... it is more on how you should answer to this kind of questions without loosing poeoples confidence..... this is one important trait of a good leader. If they ask you "can you do it?" and you know your answer is "no"... you don't just answer "no".... you say "we're on top of it and we will try our best to track them down". You don't just give positive moral to your oponents. You're the freaking chief..... These are crimes commited... even in sports, you don't say we can't bring down Tampa Bay over the ice...

I agree they will not stop hunting for them.... IMO, he should have kept it to himself... everyone could figure it out....

Morals just gets low when your leader gives opinions like that.... The city will just feel unsafe even more... and the gangsters will just feel stonger, their moral got boosted.... it's different when you see the chief is 100% resilient...

Raz
09-16-2005, 10:03 AM
guys, we are ONLY one million, thats not alot of people in a city, there are plenty of cities in the world with more than that and no gang problems..

Get a fucking grip

89coupe
09-16-2005, 10:16 AM
What a fucking joke. I read that the other day. Extremely sad to hear. I think he should be fired. Excuse the cliche but what a COP out.

Hakkola
09-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Raz
guys, we are ONLY one million, thats not alot of people in a city, there are plenty of cities in the world with more than that and no gang problems..

Get a fucking grip

You seriously believe there are cities bigger than calgary without gang problems? Name only 1 and I'll be amazed. Gangs are everywhere, and it's impossible to get rid of them unless you jail everybody under suspicion with no proof. Even little ass towns have groups like the Hell's Angels, you'd think if it was possible to get rid of those kinds of groups it would have been done by now, but they're still here, and will be pretty much forever.

I completely understand what the chief is saying, and I'm happy there's someone out there who speaks the truth, it doesn't bring up the morale for gangsters, they've known they won't get caught for a looooong time. And you know what, it's not the cops fault, they can't make arrests if people in the community or other gangsters don't come forward, and in real life that doesn't happen.

89coupe
09-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Canada needs to re-think/vamp its judicial system. There are way too many loop holes in our system and we are way to lenient on criminals.

t-im
09-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Maybe he could have said it more eloquently, but their really isn't any point in sugar coating the issue - if he did, then that would give people a VERY false sense of security.

dmtx
09-16-2005, 10:58 AM
I don't think it would be sugar coating when you say you're tyring your best to track them down... no false security there. It just brings your unit down.... it's a fact.....

"It's tough to take, especially for front-line officers -- it makes them think, if the general's given up, maybe we should too."

Originally posted by Hakkola

it doesn't bring up the morale for gangsters
why not? Hearing the chief saying he can't beat the gang members.... it is this kind of thinking that brought cities gangsters to where they are now. If they get the notion that they could be busted anytime because of the collected police force, they will have second thoughts at times doing their shit...

"Front-line cops are demoralized by their chief's prediction that Calgary gangs can never be beaten, says the head of the police union."

civic_stylez
09-16-2005, 10:59 AM
there always has been gangs in calgary,shit, the hells angels and grim reapers had establishments in bowness for years...all the police can do is keep pressure on gangs to prevent them from flourishing in the city..theres only so much the police can do to stop gangs..they can t just go around arresting every "suspected" gang member..the justice system is the only way to corral gang activity by imposing harsher sentences on gang related activity.

89coupe
09-16-2005, 11:00 AM
LOL and saying Gangs are here to stay helps anymore? Give me a fucking break.

How would the world react if George W Bush said, well people of the world, terrorists are here to stay and we just have to learn to live with that...yeh...NOT!

Laws need to be changed.

Raz
09-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

You seriously believe there are cities bigger than calgary without gang problems? Name only 1 and I'll be amazed. Gangs are everywhere, and it's impossible to get rid of them unless you jail everybody under suspicion with no proof. Even little ass towns have groups like the Hell's Angels, you'd think if it was possible to get rid of those kinds of groups it would have been done by now, but they're still here, and will be pretty much forever.

I completely understand what the chief is saying, and I'm happy there's someone out there who speaks the truth, it doesn't bring up the morale for gangsters, they've known they won't get caught for a looooong time. And you know what, it's not the cops fault, they can't make arrests if people in the community or other gangsters don't come forward, and in real life that doesn't happen.

OK, discounting Hells Angels (who are mostly urban troublemakers, seldomnly city-wise) who are more of an organized crime problem and less of a mid twenties guys with guns and bandanas problem - you can find atleast 10 european cities that live up to my "gangs not being a problem" statement :)

- Rasmus

dmtx
09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
LOL and saying Gangs are here to stay helps anymore? Give me a fucking break.

How would the world react if George W Bush said, well people of the world, terrorists are here to stay and we just have to learn to live with that...yeh...NOT!

Laws need to be changed.

agreed.....

Bring your police force up and change the law!!

gangsters, crimes, terrorists will just grow with a weak force.... what can scare them now?? the police force is weaken by the chief and the punishments/law are not strict.......

B17a
09-16-2005, 11:12 AM
If you can find a way to eliminate drugs you will eliminate gangs. So ask yourself if its possible to eliminate every drug dealer and user in town? No? Then there's your answer to eliminating gangs.

skandalz
09-16-2005, 11:19 AM
^not just drugs. most "gangs" are just a group of buddies who have each others backs. but its gotten so bad now a days. give the wrong person a bad look or say the wrong thing and expect to be jumped by him and 30 of his friends.

you want to eliminate gangs/drugs and pretty much everything bad in the world? get rid of all asians. I'M J/K!! (And for those who went to the DTP show and saw MC E, let me bite one of his lines)... I LOVE ASIAN PEOPLE

dmtx
09-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by B17a
If you can find a way to eliminate drugs you will eliminate gangs. So ask yourself if its possible to eliminate every drug dealer and user in town? No? Then there's your answer to eliminating gangs.

I agree that they are pretty related...

kenny
09-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Calgary can totally get rid of the gang violence. All they need to do is get all the news media to stop reporting on it and bam! Nobody will notice it and it'll seem like the problem is gone.

89coupe
09-16-2005, 12:59 PM
I say legalize drugs & prostitution. It may sound crazy but I believe it would create a legal market that would wither away because most are smart enough to realize that it can only bring harm to yourself. At the same time it would destroy the main income of most Gangs.

civic_stylez
09-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I say legalize drugs & prostitution. It may sound crazy but I believe it would create a legal market that would wither away because most are smart enough to realize that it can only bring harm to yourself. At the same time it would destroy the main income of most Gangs.

then it would fuel the human trafficking trade to bring illegals over here to use them for prostitution..

ehos
09-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Alberta has at present a 9 Billion dollar surplus. I'm sure a few more cops, a few more lawyers and judges would take care of the gang problem.

The real issue is, the 'gang' problem isn't Calgary Police's biggest concern. (Seriously, it's not). Organized crime will ALWAYS exist and organized criminals know what their havens are.

They have their niche in Calgary and they don't venture from it. Calgary cops know that, so why would they waste their time? Sad but true. It's like trying to stamp out prostitution, they will put in their token effort, but they'll just 'live with it.'

89coupe
09-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Its a hell of a lot harder to bring illegal immigrants in then it is to sell drugs or prostitution.

Originally posted by civic_stylez

then it would fuel the human trafficking trade to bring illegals over here to use them for prostitution..

Melinda
09-16-2005, 01:42 PM
I applaud the Chief for saying it like it should be said. At least one person in the public eye has the freakin balls to do so! Gangs have been around in this city for many decades. You think 20 years ago if a guy was killed in a gang fight and the cheif at the time was asked if they could get rid of it and he said yes, then the whole city would be all happy and safe and then 20 years later, it's still happening (and some may argue worse than before) Good for him for letting people know that it's an issue, it's not gonna go away. Prepares the citizens to be more cautious knowing that it's still happening. Good on him, doesn't kill my morale of being calgarian, it's something most people should have known all along.

89coupe
09-16-2005, 01:48 PM
...and that is what is so sad about our society. If we think we can't fix the problem we try and accept it. Pretty fucking sad. Thank god not all humans think this way or we would still be living in caves and grunting to each other.

Originally posted by Melinda
I applaud the Chief for saying it like it should be said. At least one person in the public eye has the freakin balls to do so! Gangs have been around in this city for many decades. You think 20 years ago if a guy was killed in a gang fight and the cheif at the time was asked if they could get rid of it and he said yes, then the whole city would be all happy and safe and then 20 years later, it's still happening (and some may argue worse than before) Good for him for letting people know that it's an issue, it's not gonna go away. Prepares the citizens to be more cautious knowing that it's still happening. Good on him, doesn't kill my morale of being calgarian, it's something most people should have known all along.

SI-vic
09-16-2005, 01:56 PM
gangs are in pretty much every major city
if you dont believe so then you should shake your head and wake up
just because they arent world known or pose a threat then it doesnt mean that they arent a "gang"

i would bet that there is some sort of gang/triangle that are dealing drugs, pimping, and etc. in every heavily populated city
a big city = big money

dmtx
09-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Everyone else knows these gangs were here decades before... and everyone knows that gangs are not easy to track down. There is no kidding that is not easy... but to think upfront that you can't do it is just weak! At that mind set, we will fail not because of lack trying, but giving the heart to it.

They can't solve gang problems .... but we could discouraged it and potentially slowen the growth.... That negative attitude of a chief, how can we do that? If you're the chief of police.. and say "can't do it".... you shouldn't even be a mall security guard.... sooo weakkk!!

Bombings in London was not gang related... few people were related to it out of how many millions of population... but through right intelligence unit, they were able to track down who did it.

Melinda
09-16-2005, 02:51 PM
...and that is what is so sad about our society. If we think we can't fix the problem we try and accept it. Pretty fucking sad. Thank god not all humans think this way or we would still be living in caves and grunting to each other.

It's not that we CAN'T fix it, if you had cops on every street corner looking for suspisious people/dealings and undercover guys in every gang to track down the major players or the new up and coming gangs/leaders then sure, it would be done in no time. But the government simply wont fund our police departments the money to be able to do that kind of enforcement, so it WON'T be fixed. No where did I say it cant be done, I just said it's not going to go away.

89coupe
09-16-2005, 03:07 PM
So you agree then it CAN be fixed but our government chooses to ignore the problem?

It's not that we CAN'T fix it, if you had cops on every street corner looking for suspisious people/dealings and undercover guys in every gang to track down the major players or the new up and coming gangs/leaders then sure, it would be done in no time. But the government simply wont fund our police departments the money to be able to do that kind of enforcement, so it WON'T be fixed. No where did I say it cant be done, I just said it's not going to go away.

Melinda
09-16-2005, 03:10 PM
So you agree then it CAN be fixed but our government chooses to ignore the problem?

Yes, and to a certain extent, i'm sure that's what the chief meant too. With more money, anything's possible. But the government has pretty much told all of our public services to F-O and forget it.

89coupe
09-16-2005, 03:17 PM
So then the Police Chief should have taken a little more time to come up with a statement before making such a cowardly remark. However you look at it, its very disheartening.

Yes, and to a certain extent, i'm sure that's what the chief meant too. With more money, anything's possible. But the government has pretty much told all of our public services to F-O and forget it.

dmtx
09-16-2005, 03:33 PM
the chief of police attitude should be "I uphold the law... I am the law... don't fuck with me!!"

Sounds bullshit but that should the attitude of people who "protects" people for a living... before you can lead, you need respect... before you can protect, you should believe to yourself that you can defend them 100%....

having the balls is not when you tell the public you can't beat the gangsters.... kick some goverment's official's ass to get's some funds if he needs to.... gangsters must be laughing their ass off at the chief right now....

GirlsOnFire
09-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Maybe he is smarter then we are giving him credit for? The whole statement could have been designed specifically to create a massive public outcry and voter reaction to pressure the powers that be into giving the police more funding.

Khyron
09-16-2005, 04:31 PM
If a chief of police was asked for his plan for the year and said "Well, we're going to eliminate crime. Entirely." - you'd call him an idiot and a liar. It's like American politicians when they proclaim that they're going to eliminate ALL drugs. 50% of their jail population in there for drug related offences, does anyone think it will just go away?

And if having a cop on every corner gets rid of gangs, then I'll keep the gangs, thanks. If we could cure all diseases, but it would require a tax of 90% income tax rate, how many people would say fuck that shit, keep the diseases.

The cop was setting realistic expectations. We don't need to eliminate every gang member in the city, and the cost of doing so would be obscene even if you could.

Khyron

Hakkola
09-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Raz

you can find atleast 10 european cities that live up to my "gangs not being a problem" statement :)

- Rasmus

I doubt it, I'm from Finland which I believe topped the list for uncorrupted countries, and even in Helsinki there's a hell of a lot of Russian Mafia members.

If they say they're gang free, it's probably just them covering it up to make their tourist city sound attractive.