PDA

View Full Version : To all people that drive their cars in the winter

Pee_Sack
09-16-2005, 12:24 PM
I have a question for all people that drive there cars in the winter time. It is mostly geared towards the subie guys, but anyone can help me out. This is my first winter driving my WRX and I am wondering what steps do you guys take in order to keep damage and wear as little as possible? From my previous experiece I have noticed that the carpet under my feet gets really soiled and stained throughout the winter and when summer comes it looks like crap. I just dont want that to happen. Also with keeping the exterior looking nice what are some steps I can take before the snow falls and also what can I do when its snowing?

Thank you for all your help

FiveFreshFish
09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Get winter floor mats and seat covers to minimize the winter wear.

QuasarCav
09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Buy some winter mats to save damage on the OE carpet, get a rock deflector or bra installed, watch out for shit that gets stuck under the bra.

I think the biggest thing is just to accept the fact that a Calgary winter is hard on your car. You will get more chips, more wear and shitty fuel economy.

Raz
09-16-2005, 12:40 PM
oh noes, my carpet will get dirty - wrx's cry when they don't get to drive in snow :D

Weapon_R
09-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I just bought a set of cheap fabric and rubber floormats from superstore, that will really minimize the wear on your carpet and interior.

rc2002
09-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Not sure how they sand/salt the roads up in Ft Macmurray. But here in Calgary, the deerfoot will chip your car up in no time. I'd invest in some 3M protective film for your front bumper/hood.

bigboom
09-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Not sure how they sand/salt the roads up in Ft Macmurray. But here in Calgary, the deerfoot will chip your car up in no time. I'd invest in some 3M protective film for your front bumper/hood.

not that you drive your car in the winter or anything...come to think of it you dont even drive your car in the summer :)

Ben
09-16-2005, 01:32 PM
In the winter I wash my car often (once a week min) and dry it in the bay, keeps salt and shit collecting.

Parking in heated parkades is problematic also, because the snow/ice/salt deposits change state and it soaks in water that has now melted, increasing the possibility and/or rate of corrosion.

Definatly invest in some winter floormats.

Pee_Sack
09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
So floor matts is a must. Are seat covers worth it? I guess if its snowing outside and I get wet it will help protect my seat. Don't have to worry about the heater parkade or garage as I don't have one at my house or at work. The washing will be done ATLEAST once a week, I used to avoid washing my cars in the winter cuz my doors would freeze shut. Is that just a problem with older vehicles, or is there a way to prevent that? There was actually a 2 week period where I had to get in the passenger door of my car cuz it was frozen shut.

It seems like they never salt the roads up here, they are allways icy, snowy, and muddy. But thats why I bought AWD :D.

Thanks for the info everyone, If anyone else has any suggestions keep them comming.

Weapon_R
09-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I've rarely had a door freeze completely. Usually, i'll wash it and park at home with one door unlocked. That way, even if the locks freeze the door will stick but it won't be completely frozen. Seat covers aren't important unless you are rolling around in the snow before sitting in your car.

pitwipe
09-16-2005, 02:54 PM
I'd be interested to know about washing the car through the winter too. How, where, when...? Covering your car with water when it's -20 seems like a bad idea, doesn't it? :dunno:

1-Bar
09-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

not that you drive your car in the winter or anything...come to think of it you dont even drive your car in the summer :)

bwahahha.....

back on topic. Get the pants saver winter floor mats. Nothing worse then getting outta your car with a big ol' mud stain in the back part of the pant.

As for washing your car in the winter, just go every chance you get when its half decent outside. Like -10 degrees or so. If you worry about locks freezing. Just carry a lighter w/ you (or that small de-icer stuff in a keychain) and heat up your key a lil bit and thus melt the ice around the lock (if that's a problem).

Lol...one time I remember both my doors were frozen solid and I had to climb in through the trunk to get into my car.

DuPont
09-16-2005, 03:42 PM
When I wash in winter I dry off the door seals first and keep the doors open while I dry the rest of the car.

Always keep one of those little bottles of lock de-icer in your coat pocket *NOT in the glovebox* lol been there, done that...

My Dad always hated those big ugly rubber winter floormats, so he'd buy some house door mats, same colour as the interior, and cut them to shape. Looks like factory but a lot thicker, and more durable, and absorbs the salty water instead of pooling up in the rubber ones.

benyl
09-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Bah, car are made to be driven.

Accept the fact that you car will get old, it will wear out, etc...

I have winter rubber mats, didn't use them last winter. Probably won't this winter either. Just wash them. If they get worn out, buy new ones for $100.

Your door won't freeze, at least mine didn't last winter. I washed my car every two weeks. Did a super clean in the spring.

Rock chips are a fact of life. I have gotten over getting mad about them.

HRD2PLZ
09-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I bought another set of OEM carpet mats for use in the summer and use the slightly more "worn" OEM carpet mats for the winter. I don't really like the look of rubber mats, and since I use my car for business I don't bother with them.

Car bra's can be hard on paint, I had one on a car a few years ago and it rubbed the paint out a little bit. The manual for the bra says to remove it before washing. What a pain in the butt. Who's going to do that every week?

3M is a decent way to go, the new stuff is practically invisible.

Winter is winter though, just basic common sense. Increasing follwing distance reduces the chance for as many rocks chips and or windshield chips.

A2VR6
09-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Well also when your washing your car make sure you wash the undercarraige really well especially in winter since the salt and grime likes to stick underneath there.

infected
09-16-2005, 06:41 PM
If you're lazy, you could aways just pay a few extra bux at the car wash so it'll clean the bottom of your car as you're pulling in.

Winter wipers maybe? so they can brush the snow off your windsheild easier after parking outside during a snowstorm.
Maybe keep a small shovel in the trunk too, you never know...

Floor mats fo so!!

nismodrifter
09-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Wax it.
Rubber floormats are a must..I already put mine in.
Have a rock deflector on the front to keep the hood mint.
Don't follow too close.
Wash it every week.

1-Bar
09-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by infected
Winter wipers maybe? so they can brush the snow off your windsheild easier after parking outside during a snowstorm.
Maybe keep a small shovel in the trunk too, you never know...

Werd, get the teflon ones at CT.....it works wonders!! Just take'em off for spring cause they sux ass when its warm outside with just regular rain....

That.Guy.S30
09-18-2005, 11:26 AM
get soem friggen winter tires if you have any.. ahah re92s suck. after that get some canadian tire/walmart rubber floor mats. they are cheap and do a good job. i have oem subaru ones and they suckkkkkkkkk. you will get paint chips so dont even bother getting 3m, cheapass subaru paint. and thats all i can remmber for now.

max_boost
09-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by benyl

I have winter rubber mats, didn't use them last winter. Probably won't this winter either. Just wash them. If they get worn out, buy new ones for $100.

Your door won't freeze, at least mine didn't last winter. I washed my car every two weeks. Did a super clean in the spring.

Rock chips are a fact of life. I have gotten over getting mad about them. :werd: :werd:

3M front end, mirrors, hood, a few rock chips are expected. Winter tires for, winter mats, clean the car regularly and a nice detail come spring.

Pee_Sack
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, rock chips don't worry me, it's gonna happen no matter what. I would like to keep my interior as clean as possible. Also keep the rust away for as long as possible.

Vagabond142
09-20-2005, 02:01 PM
If you drive a subie, remember it is MANDATORY for you to go sideways at least once in the winter, while :D 'ing like a mad idiot :P:thumbsup: :bigpimp:

Ben
09-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
If you drive a subie, remember it is MANDATORY for you to go sideways at least once in the winter, while :D 'ing like a mad idiot :P:thumbsup: :bigpimp:

I need to get some video of my 2nd gear axis spins in the snow...I can get her up to almost 60rpms.

bradwatson
09-20-2005, 02:25 PM
a thing i hve done in the past is a good wax job before winter. This protects the paint at least for a bit, and also dirt/salt/mud won't stick as much to the car. Good luck and happy driving!!!:thumbsup:

heavyD
09-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Wax it.
Rubber floormats are a must..I already put mine in.
Have a rock deflector on the front to keep the hood mint.
Don't follow too close.
Wash it every week.

That sums it up best. Do a thorough wax job in the fall for sure and when you wash the car in the winter make sure that you spray under the car.

^SkylinE^
09-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Rock chips are a fact of life. I have gotten over getting mad about them.

Ok this is what i like to hear, someone that has come the grips with the facts of life. Enjoy your car while it last because you never know when it might be gone or just too old and worn.

What good is a car that your poor all your money into and don't drive. Cars were made to be driven:devil: :burnout: And driven HARD!

lastprodigy
09-20-2005, 03:05 PM
keep it clean keep it clean.......if i had an expensive car(ex m3) that i had to drive year round id probably 3M the front every winter and take it off every summer :D