PDA

View Full Version : A question for people who drive winter beaters.

DannyO
09-17-2005, 01:58 AM
I've always wondered, I see that alot of beyond members and many other people with nice cars, drive beaters in the winter, and thats understandable, but most of the these people drive some really crappy cars (no offence), I was just wondering, how can these people drive such nice cars in calgarys short summer weather, and then spend most the time driving shit the rest of the year, why not try and get something nice to drive in the winter also, or maybe prepare your car for driving it in the winter, like my car now, I will end up driving it this winter, but I will be preparing the car with afew things to help it during the winter, I just wouldn't be able to put my car away and drive a peice of shit, thinking I can't drive my nice car for like 7 months or so, so just wondering whats peoples views on the subject?

gen2teggy
09-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

mac_82
09-17-2005, 02:55 AM
When I was car shopping for my new car I took that into consideration. I wanted something that met all my performance requirements, as well as being able to drive it year round reliably. Thats why I bought a Subaru. :D

Redlyne_mr2
09-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Makes you appreciate your summer car even more. Id rather see it sitting in the garage than rusting and chipping away.

Rav4Guy
09-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Yes.. you will appreciate it.... but... what's the point of buying two cars if your only going to drive one for half a year? I can understand if you own a ferrari/lambo/etc. , but you don't.

I'm also assuming that most of you guys don't keep your cars for very long (meaning.. keeping it till it dies). Its not like the car will depreciate a whole lot less in the garage. Yes.. you will get rock chips in the winter. That's because we live in Calgary. If you're going to buy a nice car... enjoy it! allll yyeeaarrr roouunnddd.

T-rus
09-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I see a forum scrap coming on...haha

Redlyne_mr2
09-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
Yes.. you will appreciate it.... but... what's the point of buying two cars if your only going to drive one for half a year? I can understand if you own a ferrari/lambo/etc. , but you don't.

I'm also assuming that most of you guys don't keep your cars for very long (meaning.. keeping it till it dies). Its not like the car will depreciate a whole lot less in the garage. Yes.. you will get rock chips in the winter. That's because we live in Calgary. If you're going to buy a nice car... enjoy it! allll yyeeaarrr roouunnddd.
Driving it in the summer makes up for the down time in the winter. For me the term winter beater has sort of been replaced with daily driver. I use my daily driver for everything, to get to work, to drive in the winter, to take skiing to the mountains. Both of my summer cars are in really good shape, why would I ever want to risk crashing one, having rust appear, getting rock chips and having my windshield cracked to shit, killing my carpets from all the sludge and mud, I also like the underbody to stay as clean as the top body. To me it doesnt matter if its a 300K car or a 7K car, I enjoy seeing the car sit in the garage in the winter months more than I would enjoy driving. I also cant fit skis, or more than 2 people in my summer cars.

finboy
09-17-2005, 11:35 AM
okay, i drive a winter car because i don't like the following...
-RUST
-rock chips
-losing control on ice and hitting curbs/cars/small dogs
-others losing control and hitting me
-etc.

granted i payed next to nothing for my car but that doesn't mean i want to risk wrecking it in winter. if my car gets written off, i get $1000, but where the hell am i going to find another shell with a roll cage already welded in, and for that matter relativly rust free?

i'll drive a k-car for 7 months out of the year if i can enjoy boost for 5 months out of the year and have less chance of my car being destroyed.

:thumbsup:

Mad$ella
09-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Makes you appreciate your summer car even more. Id rather see it sitting in the garage than rusting and chipping away.

EXACTLY

For me, I dont like the risk of fucking it up, or having someone else smash into me.
Secondly, its not the easiest thing to drive a 300HP (soon to be 500HP) car in the snow and ice. No matter how good your winter tires are its scary and very nerve racking.
Thrid, I need time to do mods. I pick up all my gear over the summer, then when winter rolls around I have time to have it all installed without taking away driving pleasure.
Last, it saves me from putting a ton of KMs on my car. With a winter car I put maybe 3000 - 5000KM a year on my stang. Which is gonna make it last a lot longer, and not be so hard on my superscharger...

MIKE

DannyO
09-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Glad to hear some peoples views, I don't want this to turn into a fight, I was just interested, I see all the reasons for why to get a winter car, its just that there winter car is nothing compared to there summer car (whether it be priced more or valued more), just I would see it being soo hard to have to drive a lesser car around most the year, while dreaming about driving the nicer car, my hat goes off to you guys for being able to do it..lol...I do plan on getting a winter vehicle aswell, just wanna try and get the money so I can get something I might enjoy equally, like a small SUV.

finboy
09-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
Glad to hear some peoples views, I don't want this to turn into a fight, I was just interested, I see all the reasons for why to get a winter car, its just that there winter car is nothing compared to there summer car (whether it be priced more or valued more), just I would see it being soo hard to have to drive a lesser car around most the year, while dreaming about driving the nicer car, my hat goes off to you guys for being able to do it..lol...I do plan on getting a winter vehicle aswell, just wanna try and get the money so I can get something I might enjoy equally, like a small SUV.

the thing about a winter beater that costs less then $1000, is that you don't CARE what happens to it, so you can beat the HELL out of it, that is what makes them so entertaining ;)

Redlyne_mr2
09-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
If you can go for the daily driver and enjoy it all year round. Use it to get to work and back, haul mountain bikes around. Cocoabravo has a killer dodge raider 4x4 for sale. I love those thing theyre like a mini range rover.

Weapon_R
09-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Cars are meant to be driven, not garaged. Even if I had a car worth 100k, it would never sit in a garage unless it was physically impossible to drive it elsewhere.

:thumbsdow to people who drive winter beaters with cars worth less than 30k

finboy
09-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Cars are meant to be driven, not garaged. Even if I had a car worth 100k, it would never sit in a garage unless it was physically impossible to drive it elsewhere.

i know cars are meant to be driven, but i want to enjoy my car as long as possible. i won't enjoy it in winter because i can't go fast in winter. so if i can double the number of summer's out of my enjoyable car, instead of half the time while driving in winter, i'm going to take the option that allows me to have the most fun ;)

Aleks
09-17-2005, 02:19 PM
I drove my car all winter last season. I wanted to see how it would hold up with the turbo and all. It was perfect. This year I stopped driving to work (take the train now) so the car mostly sits in the garage :( I drive it on the weekends only pretty much. I think I might buy a beater just because I hardly drive my teg anyways and would never park it at a train station!

Redlyne_mr2
09-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

The value of a car has nothing to do with it. Its not about how much a car costs, its about how it makes you feel and how you care about it so much that you could never stand to see it get its ass kicked by winter. And yes cars are meant to be driven but not all cars are meant to be driven in the winter.

Zero102
09-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Exactly, value is relative. It must be nice to be able to say that your car has to be worth over $30k to be a 'summer car', but not all of us can do that. For most of us, it's a matter of pride, and respect for the car. I won't be driving my summer car this winter, because I don't want to install a block heater, I don't want salt eating my undercarriage, I don't want all of the rock chips, and most of all, I don't want some idiot rear-ending it, because he thinks it's still summer.

Besides, I hate working on cars in the winter, and with mileage comes maintenance, and in the case of my summer car, comes time-consuming maintenance, I would rather just do oil changes and little crap on a winter car, than be pulling and rebuilding turbos, etc.

Primer_Drift
09-17-2005, 11:43 PM
My summer car is impractical for winter, an investment, and most importantly; a hobby that I work on over the winter religiously to stop myself from going completely insane during the cold grey winter months.

My winter car was $100, goes from A - B, and has a good heater. I would not be terribly upset if I lost it due to shitty Calgary drivers or poor road conditions. I see no point in driving something nice all year long if you want to keep and maintain it.

skyline19
09-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
My summer car is impractical for winter, an investment, and most importantly; a hobby that I work on over the winter religiously to stop myself from going completely insane during the cold grey winter months.

My winter car was $100, goes from A - B, and has a good heater. I would not be terribly upset if I lost it due to shitty Calgary drivers or poor road conditions. I see no point in driving something nice all year long if you want to keep and maintain it.

:werd: if i had a nice summer car i would for sure garage it. i would then buy a piece of crap little truck and do donuts in the snow all day:bigpimp:

badseed
09-18-2005, 11:21 AM

The value of a car has nothing to do with it. Its not about how much a car costs, its about how it makes you feel and how you care about it so much that you could never stand to see it get its ass kicked by winter. And yes cars are meant to be driven but not all cars are meant to be driven in the winter.

Agreed, plus think of all the money one spends on car washes maintaining a nice car throughout the winter. No need to wash a rust bucket on a regular basis.

I wash my beater 3 times last winter compared to what once/twice week with my summer car, depending on weather.

Summer car:
$5 - $10 X 25 weeks = $125-250

Winter Car: $15

Raz
09-18-2005, 11:39 AM
omfg, you wash your beater?!

DannyO
09-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, you all actually got me thinking about getting a beater, but a beater I can enjoy, like a old golf or something, cheers :thumbsup:

max_boost
09-18-2005, 02:49 PM

I think the Mr2 is on the list of cars that can't/shouldn't be winter driven.

You are right, it does make you appreciate the car more. When I stored my E36 many years back through the winter months, I was sooooo excited to jump back into it come spring.

If you have a show worthy car with an extensive list of mods, winter driving it is just a waste. That's fine with me. It's those who choose to not winter drive a relatively stock/common car that I quite don't understand. Oh well.

Rockski
09-18-2005, 02:53 PM
well im not driving my truck this winter cause its gonna get fixed and a 4 banger is cheaper on gas... i also plan on an engine drop, so to me, it made sence to get my car

Ashkente
09-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Old Toyotas + winter = PWNAGE.

That's about all that needs to be said...:cry:

88CRX
09-18-2005, 10:49 PM
I drove mine last winter.... and plan on driving it this winter as well.... just gotta take a weekend and get it "winter ready" and remove as many parts as possible.