PDA

View Full Version : Storing cars for long periods of time

mrmattyk
02-08-2003, 02:37 AM
I've got my 97 cavalier under a tarp. I plan to keep it under there for a while. When I have a nice summer car, the cavalier will be the winter beater. To keep it running well what should I do?

I heard you should keep the battery terminal unplugged. I also heard you should start it up and let it run for a bit every once in a while.

EG STyLeZ
02-08-2003, 04:15 AM
i heard you shouldn't keep it under a tarp because condensation builds up under it and fucks it up, and you shouldn't just like warm it up once in a while.. dunno if this is true??:dunno:

civic_stylez
02-08-2003, 12:12 PM
fill the tank,disconnect the battery, dont start it every once and a while and leave the widow open a crack so condensation doesnt build up.

kaput
02-08-2003, 12:24 PM

Chu
02-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Fill the tank, disconnect battery, and inflate tires, that whats they told me to do for my porsche. So I hope that is the right way to store your car. Starting once in a while? I don't know but I can't because its in a storage garage.

civic_stylez
02-08-2003, 03:08 PM
when you let your car sit for a while the fluids drain out of the hoses and back into their resivoir tanks, if you keep starting the car the fluids stay in the lines and can freeze and split hoses. it wont hurt the car if you start it a few times but its better to leave it, just make sure theres lots of gas in the tank and in the spring time add some fresh gas to the tank because gas looses its octane after a while.

KoukiS14
02-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Put it on jack stands dude if you are keeping it stationary......if you are gonna run your car take it round the block to keep everything lubricated.

T5_X
02-08-2003, 09:58 PM
if you have rear drum brakes, don't put the e-brake on. The shoes can rust up to the drums.

D'z Nutz
02-09-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by NismoS14
Put it on jack stands dude if you are keeping it stationary

I've heard this too. I was told if you leave your car stationary for extended periods of time (I'm talking more than just a few months though), your tires may warp. Anyone know if this is true?

XxIntegra_BoixX
02-09-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I've heard this too. I was told if you leave your car stationary for extended periods of time (I'm talking more than just a few months though), your tires may warp. Anyone know if this is true?

Yah this is true, because after a long period of time your tire will take shape to the displaced air in the tire, causing warpness. Its best that you put it on jacks or place winter or beater tires on her.

RiceCake
02-09-2003, 02:38 AM
Where is that thread someone started a long time ago that had tons of info on storing a car and what measures to take?

:dunno:

GTS Jeff
02-09-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by XxIntegra_BoixX

Yah this is true, because after a long period of time your tire will take shape to the displaced air in the tire, causing warpness. Its best that you put it on jacks or place winter or beater tires on her. how long?

kaput
02-09-2003, 12:49 PM

Si_FlyGuy
02-09-2003, 12:53 PM
You can buy those tire saver thingies if you feel like splurging...prevents flat spots.

Smartiepants
02-09-2003, 01:12 PM
my dad has an old porsche 75 911, that he puts away for the winter, he puts it on jack stands cause otherwise the tires do warp, its not just old tires that do it either.

civic_stylez
02-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by NismoS14
Put it on jack stands dude if you are keeping it stationary......if you are gonna run your car take it round the block to keep everything lubricated.

its not good to use jack stands because the pressure in your shocks can leak and its bad for the suspension. put beater tires on it and if you leave your tires on it the flat spot will come out with a bit of driving. just make sure theyre properly inflated.

XxIntegra_BoixX
02-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

its not good to use jack stands because the pressure in your shocks can leak and its bad for the suspension. put beater tires on it and if you leave your tires on it the flat spot will come out with a bit of driving. just make sure theyre properly inflated.

I agree, the best thing to do is put beater tires on your car, ones

you would never use again would be best. Unless you decide to

remove all your tires leaving only the brake pads, then by all

means jack her up, but its a little shaky if yah know what i mean.

Smartiepants
02-09-2003, 09:15 PM
err, just checked, he has funny blocks he puts the suspension on, weight still on suspension but not on the tires.