PDA

View Full Version : unemployement insurance question..

dooman24
09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
hey.. i worked as a labourer for 1 year and a half.. and i just started going back to school.. my parents sais i can ask for unemployement insurance.. is that true?

Darkane
09-17-2005, 08:09 PM
False. Nice try though

dooman24
09-17-2005, 08:11 PM
damn it!

buddha
09-18-2005, 11:16 AM
You can only get EI if you get laid off or was fired un-fairly. Also, when you're on EI... depending on the course you're taking, EI might pay for the course and give you living expenses. I've been on EI for almost 2 years now and I'm going to school. My school fees were $18,900 and it's all paid for and I'm getting $1790 a month for living expenses too. You should check it out first before going to school.

Nav13
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
^^^I must say you have got it set, nice cash flow during school, no loans to pay back when your done.

Vypros
09-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by buddha
You can only get EI if you get laid off or was fired un-fairly. Also, when you're on EI... depending on the course you're taking, EI might pay for the course and give you living expenses. I've been on EI for almost 2 years now and I'm going to school. My school fees were $18,900 and it's all paid for and I'm getting $1790 a month for living expenses too. You should check it out first before going to school. wtf?!

How did you get on it for 2 years. I've been unemployed for 6 months barely scraping by with graphic design over the internet....pm me some secrets will ya? ;)

Xtrema
09-19-2005, 09:02 PM
^ $1790 is maximum

$18900 is probably for a career changing course. (for ex. a fisherman want to train for IT career).

But for 2 years? I have never seen it gone on that long.

dooman24
09-19-2005, 11:10 PM
haha i went to ask about it today..
they said..
you had the choice.. go to school or work.. and if you picked go to school you cannot go on ei

Xtrema
09-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by dooman24
haha i went to ask about it today..
they said..
you had the choice.. go to school or work.. and if you picked go to school you cannot go on ei

I believe you can go on EI as a supplement if you're starting your own business. Kinda like a safefy net for the 1st few months.

phreezee
09-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Just went on EI yesterday. I quit my job to join my spouse here in Calgary. You can get benefits if you lose your job at no fault of your own.

You don't get any money for at least 6 weeks, and I plan on getting a job by then. So I put it $900/year and will never see that money again in my lifetime. No wonder the government built up a $46 BILLION surplus from EI! What a rip off!

Good job on getting some $$$ back buddha!

Weapon_R
09-20-2005, 01:08 PM
You quit your job voluntarily and moved here voluntarily and you expect to get any EI to support your move? That's awesome!

phreezee
09-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You quit your job voluntarily and moved here voluntarily and you expect to get any EI to support your move? That's awesome!

I guess you missed reading this part of the post! I highlighted it for easy reading LOL

You don't get any money for at least 6 weeks, and I plan on getting a job by then. So I put in $900/year and will never see that money again in my lifetime.

No wonder the government built up a $46 BILLION surplus from EI!