PDA

View Full Version : SCC Edmonton - ZFan Style

Z_Fan
09-18-2005, 12:14 AM
I learned a whole bunch of useful things today. Some of which I figured I might share with for your general amusement.

Firstly, let's start out by saying it's very important to pay attention. As I am getting older, I am realizing that I have started to pay less attention to detail. My mind wanders easily, and I can literally start a conversation, see a chick in a mini-skirt with a playboy top on and suddenly I don't know what I was saying. I'm simply left hoping she has something to drop on the ground and simultaneously the wind will blow directly up her skirt. :poosie:

Right, but back to paying attention. !PAY ATTENTION!

Read the thread. Right, especially if it has times in it. See, I thought everyone was going to be LEAVING Deerfoot Mall at 6:30AM to head up to Edmonton. I figured that was a nice time and we'd be able to cruise up and easily arrive on time with out ever having to break the speed limit. :rofl: I had time to take artistic photos of the Z with the lights reflecting neatly into the darkness. I had time to drive around the entire complex, twice, in search for anything with a beyond.ca decal. :rolleyes:

So, yes, I was at the parking lot bright and early. Before the sun came up. I had enough time to contemplate leaving assuming that my arriving at 6:15AM wasn't good enough and the beyond.ca clan had already left. Then I decided, perhaps I didn't pay enough attention. Perhaps they were to MEET at 6:30AM and then roll out later. As 6:30AM came and went, no one arrived. I held out a little longer and finally some cars showed up. Nice. I am so glad I set up that 5:00AM wake up call. Fuck a duck!

Pay attention. Right. I must pay attention.

I was left wondering how the hell we'd get to Edmonton on time. Well...this can be explained quite easily. Firstly, JAYMEZ_STi speeds like there is no tomorrow. That is simply fact. Our fearless leader piloted the group at speeds up to...well, the kind of speeds they just spank your ass and take your license away. Those kind of speeds. I had gas that needed to be burned, so, well, what can you do but follow the leader. Safety of the pack. Surely JAYMEZ_STi will get the ticket...crazy MOFO...I almost felt sorry for the little 4 bangers that likely had to almost redline in top gear to keep up. But then, really that just amused me and I decided to not have any empathy whatsoever. :dunno:

Despite our speeding and the stop in Red Deer and then again to wash the cars at Leduc...obviously we rolled in late. Still lots of time, but late.

Now, drag racing was fun. JAYMEZ_STi's car was super shiny and I could easily see my reflection in his wheels. I kept hoping that playboy girl with the mini-skirt would come over and stand right by his wheel. Right, easily distracted.

Anyhow, back to the drags. After a few runs, I was stopped at the end of the track and was warned very firmly to slow down sooner. Now, see, what was happening was that I know the Z traps at 124-128mph in the 1/4. Not being overly familiar with the track in Edmonton, I didn't know where the actual finish line was. So I was keeping it pegged well past the actual line, and...well...this little problem was compounded by the fact that my speedometer is %10 out. (Which I know, but always forget!) This goes back to paying attention to details. So, bottom line was that since I wasn't sure where the line was, I would keep the Z pegged until I hit 130mph on my speedo. Which is actually, LOL and ooops, 143mph. So, basically I was actually moving at 230+KM/H before braking. The guys at the end of the strip got a little excited...and told me if I did it again, I was going to get booted. So, I didn't do it again. But the reality that my speedo was %10 out kind of just sank to the back of my mind. And it took some time to realize that if the speed says 115+ mph, I've probably crossed the line and will be getting a slip that says 126mph+. Right. So, pay attention.

Yes yes, so the drag racing went well and the Z ran flawlessly. No clutch problems reared their ugly head and I answered the "How many horsepower does your Z have?" question about 6 million times. Enough that I should probably make up a window banner so I don't get a sore throat re-hashing the same shit over and over and over and over. [Being an enthusiast, I don't really mind. Plus I like the ring of 'just over 600 to the wheels.'] I know the Z is fast, but I forget just how fast it is for a car of it's class. I mean, I think it was a full second faster than the fastest car in the OUTLAW class. Yes, indeed, the Z owns the road. :bigpimp: [Well aware there are plenty of F-A-S-T-E-R cars, like Ron's Talon for example.]

Yup, so, the event went well. Beyond.ca got a few trophies and we all go home. Now, I leave a bit early and head out on the road. I'm minding my own fucking business doing about 120km/h (on my speedo, so about 132km/h in reality) and JAYMEZ_STi pulls up behind me like I'm standing still. Naturally I decide to hang with him for a while. After following him at about 150km/h on my speedo (a good 165km/h) I decide you know what, this road is always patrolled on the weekend and I'd like to get home without a ticket. So, I decide I'll slow it up, set the cruise and that'll be good enough.

Safety of the pack.

It's almost like the animal kingdom. But the reality is there is safety within the pack. This holds true for speeding on the highway. If you're somewhere in the pack, you might not be the one who gets nailed. I should really learn to pay attention. I should have hung with JAYMEZ_STi and 88CRX and made a high speed train on the highway right back to Calgary. God knows I would have arrived sooner. Fuck, just travelling in JAYMEZ_STi 's wake would have saved me tonnes of fuel from his 170km/h draft!

Whether you know this or not - I advocate keeping racing to the track. You know, if you want to go fast, do it smart and safe and go to the track. Not to say I don't speed, because naturally I do. But generally I try to keep it reasonable. I have a clean license. No tickets. No demerits. No trouble ever.

So, what happens next is rather annoying. Just about 5 minutes after I let JAYMEZ_STi and 88CRX blister down the highway ... with me setting my cruise at considerably less ... I get tagged with laser radar. Total :bullshit: considering the sweet tickets that could have been issued just a few miles up the highway. You guys are lucky...and were really close to getting nailed. :guns:

As the red and blue lights close in, I'm certain it is for me. I don't hit my brakes, just press the clutch and disengage cruise. Frankly, I wasn't paying attention. I just set the speed at something considerably less than I was travelling and dosed off. Probably something to do with not paying attention. That 5AM wake-up is taking its toll on me. I honestly have no idea how fast I was going. :rolleyes:

I switch lanes and the red and blue follow suit. Ah shit!

I come to a stop and think of the irony in my license plate. Stupid vanity plate. QWKRNUR. God dammit, this is a moment where I wish I didn't have that stupid plate. Doh! :banghead:

The officer approaches on the driver side. I roll the window down and the first thing he sees is the trophy. The car is still displaying the R66 badging from the SCC. I *KNOW* he read the plate and probably chuckled. Fuck. I've been owned. Crap.

Officer: "Oh, you won a trophy did you?"

Me: "Yup, won the drag racing competition."

Officer: "I see. Is she fast?"

Me: "Yup. Wanna race?" [Quick enough to spank your cruiser I think to myself.]

Officer: [Laughs out loud] "I see. You got some timeslips?"

Me: "Hell yes. [Opens glove box, takes top slips which are all the 11 second slips.] Here, check this one out!!! [I hand him an 11.5x slip at 128mph]

Officer: "Wow, that's pretty quick."

Me: "Yes. I've been de-sensitized to highway speed, and that coupled with my lack of sleep and the fact that I was completely not paying attention are my primary reasons for doing whatever speed I was doing. [Evil Grin] My bad. Seriously, my bad."

Officer: "License and registration please."

Me: "You wanna see some more slips? I'm sure I got a faster one in here somewhere!" [Offer him more slips, but then hand him registration.]

Officer: "License please."

Me: "Here you go." [Pass license to officer.]

[Long dramatic pause here while he goes to write up my ticket and I try to calculate how fast I was going not having any clue really as to what the cruise was set at. Thinking it could have been has high as 140 (or 154km/h) - Finally - Not an automatic suspension speed like my fellow beyonders up the highway are surely travelling at (lucky bastards). Officer returns with ticket in hand.]

Me: "Hey, would mind posing up against my car so I can snap a photo?"

Officer: [Long pause.] "Uh, sure. I guess so."

Me: "Great! I've got some friends that could really learn from this. I am always preaching about not speeding and keeping racing to the track. So, this would be really nice to help drive safety on the highways home." [I think I may have added some other BS in here too.]

Officer: "Ok, well, I need to explain the ticket first."

Me: [Grabbing my camera and ready to jump from the car to snap the photo.] "Oh, yeah, right. Sure." [Dismissing the ticket as trivial.]

Officer: "Normally this is a really really really big ticket. I'm being really nice here."

Me: "Thank you, I appreciate that." [Fine, I don't care - just fucking pose for the god damn picture already! This is gonna be a hoot!]

Officer: [Explains ticket emphasizing his leniency.]

Me: [Grabs ticket, throws on car floor without ever looking at it. Snaps camera off the seat quickly. I think I double-emphasized the trivial nature of the ticket. Intentional, but perhaps a little over the top!] Excitedly proclaims: "Alright, let's do the picture!!!"

Officer: "Right. You want me to hold the ticket up?"

Me: "Hell yes, that's a great idea." [Gets ticket for officer to hold. Walks to a nice place to get the picture.]

Me: "Smile."

Snaps picture:

http://www.turbocharge.ca/zfan_busted.jpg

There is no moral to this story. Except, PAY ATTENTION. Oh, and if you happen to be going really fast in your Z, have strapped on racing drag tires, got a shiny trophy in your front seat, a racing tech sticker and race numbering on your car, be DAMN sure to show the RCMP all your timeslips and discuss the best ones. You'd be surprised how well this may work in your favour!! :D

Special thanks to the officer for being a very good sport. I drove the speed limit all the way home. ;) :devil:

Edit:

Times: Several runs at 11.5x at 126-128mph. No Nitrous. Street legal drag radial. Equalled my PB from earlier in the year in EDM but that was with nitrous.

Ticket: It's yellow, my first one in like a decade, so it's no big deal. :angel:

wildrice
09-18-2005, 12:26 AM
lol. good read. Nice times.
:thumbsup:

ecstasy_civic
09-18-2005, 12:28 AM
hahahahahhaa

thats a wicked picture, looks like you were the big winner TWICE today:rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
09-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Hahah thats a cool story, love the pic..yeah James does speed like a mofo. The officer sounded pretty cool about the situation, just be thankful you dont live in Cali, your car would have been impounded on the spot for all the mods.

D'z Nutz
09-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Hey Z_Fan....

PAY ATTENTION!!

http://www.typicalfish.com/gallery/images/sccEdmonton05_0325.jpg

JAYMEZ
09-18-2005, 12:41 AM
lol shit , that same guy tried to radar me as well , i think the reason he turned around was because of the mustang i was following ... but none the less , i sure as hell had to look out every where , there was a shit load of cops on that highway...

You should have stuck with the train! I was leading with the V1 , its one hell of an investment ... not that i get the chance to speed anywhere , thats the farthest the 7 has EVER been. :eek:

And congrats on the trophie :thumbsup:

Kobe
09-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Dude that sucks...
How fast did you get clocked?
What did he give you a ticket for???

Chester
09-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
lol shit , that same guy tried to radar me as well , i think the reason he turned around was because of the mustang i was following ... but none the less , i sure as hell had to look out every where , there was a shit load of cops on that highway...

You should have stuck with the train! I was leading with the V1 , its one hell of an investment ... not that i get the chance to speed anywhere , thats the farthest the 7 has EVER been. :eek:

And congrats on the trophie :thumbsup:

The V1 is gold hey.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/dtaiwo/363196_43_full.jpg

dDUB
09-18-2005, 01:37 AM
nice read!

how much was the ticket anyways.. or are you not allowed to disclose?

ryder_23
09-18-2005, 01:38 AM
Shit, thats brutal shawn....James had his v1 turned down, and somehow i heard it, (i figure i'm just use to the sound since i've owned half a dozen), any who, he slowed down, and went by that exact same under cover :rofl:

too bad to hear that.

Team_Mclaren
09-18-2005, 01:54 AM
holy shit, hahahah good read.

ya i agree, james does speed like there's no tomorrow.. The V1 sure is a life saver tho, we heard that thing "beep" more than once during the cruise as well.

there are always trucks and minivans doing 140 down number 2, so as a respectable "sport" compact car driver, its only natual that we do 160-180
:rofl: :rofl:

jokes! dont speed:devil:

littledan
09-18-2005, 03:17 AM
ouch. lay off the NOS lol!

mac_82
09-18-2005, 03:39 AM
so how fast did the cop peg you at? :devil:

NTM
09-18-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
I mean, I think it was a full second faster than the fastest car in the OUTLAW class. Yes, indeed, the Z owns the road. :bigpimp:

<----fastest car in the outlaw class.

I was very impressed with your z.
My lowest et was 12.12, fastest trap speed was 128.6mph. On street tires-295/35/18 kumho mx's (not drag radials), not running my nitrous, and backpedalling every gear (it was lighting up the tires in fourth on the top end of the track, kinda scary). I'm hurting for traction, big time, but I was curious to see where I was at in street trim.

I know what you mean about slowing down, the safety guys looked pretty excited a couple of times :rofl: .

Nice runs :) .

Z_Fan
09-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Now that I have slept...I have a very important update.

In my dreams, that playboy girl dropped a pen and the wind came up at the exact moment she bent over to pick it up! As an added bonus, the entire scene played out in slow motion. :poosie:

Then I woke up with a huge stiffy - but - it was just cuz I had to take a huge piss. :D

1-Bar
09-18-2005, 09:29 AM
^hahaha......great story, thanks again!! Today is gonna be a good day indeed!!

Boost Infested
09-18-2005, 09:43 AM
wow, an awesome sunday morning eye opener! :hitit: :angel:

ps: ANY PICTURES OF THE PLAYBOY BUNNY? :angel:

gpomp
09-18-2005, 10:07 AM
http://basketballboards.net/forum/images/smilies/ttiwwop.gif

ron korolak
09-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Great to finnaly meet you Z_Fan nice clean car. Great numbers hope to see you out next year. Ron

90_Shelby
09-18-2005, 11:10 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA awesome read!!!!

JAYMEZ
09-18-2005, 11:13 AM
We need pictures! One of the beyond photo pervs should have it!!! :D

Boost Infested
09-18-2005, 11:16 AM
so where r the pics Jaymez?

90_Shelby
09-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah, what was your best time in Edmonton?

EK 2.0
09-18-2005, 11:20 AM
We need pictures! One of the beyond photo pervs should have it!!! :D

I am in the process of resizing and hosting as we speak...

I got you all covered...

and Z-Fan, I was keeping up to Mr. FD pretty well...without redline...but with lots and lots of cool flames out of my N1

Euro_Trash
09-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Yea I was there for the whole show... good stuff

Z_Fan
09-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Don't expect too much from Jaymez. I mean, if I was him, I'd spend the rest of today laughing my ass off at Z_Fan. :rofl:

Besides, if I can get an RCMP to pose next to my car with the ticket he issued, I'm sure I could have convinced the hottie to pose for the camera too. Perhaps on the hood of the Z. Why didn't I think of that? Damn.

Oh right, I remember now - I don't like ass prints on the hood. No matter how fine they are.

88CRX
09-18-2005, 11:35 AM
holy shit... i ALmost got clocked at a high rate of speed as well just as i was finally catching back up to jaymez.... slowed it way down and set the cruise to 130 after that, plus i was gonna run outta gas :thumbsdow :banghead:

NTM
09-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Oh yeah, what was your best time in Edmonton?

The 300z ran an 11.5-11.6 at 126-128mph, I think.

CryoCarnage
09-18-2005, 12:21 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: on that picture

Inzane
09-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Congrats on your times again Shawn.

Too bad about the ticket. How bad was it in the end (reduced)?

Just curious, where do you keep getting your "10%" from? What size are your tires? My BFG drag radials are 255/50-16 which is ~5.5% taller than stock. And my street tires (245/40-18 and 275/35-18) are 4.2 and 3.6% taller respectively. To throw your speedo off by 10% your tires would have to be over 27 inches tall. Are your M/Ts that big?

Fluidic
09-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Shawn wicked ass pic! I was thinking I should have come to Edmonton. Too bad I didn't go. :(

Ahh well. Congratulations on the trophy and generally kicking ass while just outside of Deadmonton. :)

Z_Fan
09-18-2005, 12:57 PM
The ticket was reduced. It [by it I mean the circumstance and the aftermath photo] is my current form of entertainment and favorite issue for story telling. I think I might just be able to get an entire week out of it before it no longer amuses me. Well, it's good for a couple days anyhow.

Unfortunately that mini-skirt still is on my mind. I'm thinking T-back with a mowed lawn. Gotta be. God dammit. Now I'm distracted again! Right -> *PAY ATTENTION* I guess I'll find out for certain when I go to sleep tonight...damn, I just hope it is all in slow motion tonight. :poosie:

Factoids:

I had my cruise set at 131km/H. See, I was paying attention, well, to that detail. Not the calculation to reality nor the surroundings. It felt slow. Honestly. Real slow.

The laser radar clocking was 144km/H. Barely moving.

10% of 131km/H = 13.1km/H. 131km/H + 13.1km/H = 144km/H

Speedo reads 115mph to 117mph when I cross the 1/4 line. (Always in this 3 mph range)

Timeslips read 126mph to 128mph. Again, a dead 10%.

So, uhm, the damn thing is 10% off.

The tires measure 26" unexpanded. So, with the flex I would expect they grow to hold an at speed diameter of 27"+. You're good with numbers, perhaps you can determine the actual growth of the tire at various speeds and give me factors which I could use to calculate my REAL speed. :rofl:

Now, on to a better question. Where the hell were you? Wife got you completely whipped already? Didn't I warn you about getting married? If not, I apologize, I should have spoken up and potentially averted your loss of decision making capabilities. We should form a group, I know we're not alone. :whipped:

I was looking forward to meeting up, shooting the shit, oogling your Z and watch it scream off some 12's. Instead I was left to hang with the clinically insane (EK), and a bunch of other guys who have serious issues, nah I go as far to say, a medical condition which requires their cars to be so god damn shiny that the reflection off them can cause retinal damage. They made the Z look bad, neglected and abused. But hell, I washed my car for the first time in the last 45 days which is good enough, right? But I'm sure some of these "show off" car owners wanted to drive back around and wash their cars again! I just don't get it. :poosie: Meh, they probably bring special clothes to wipe off the dust and cringe when someone goes through the pits 10km/H too fast. Oh, I jest...

*PLUS* I was forced to endure too much information with regards to Wheelz urinating in the trees on a cold day. Factoids I don't need or want to know. Shrinkage factor with scary details made me cringe. :dunno:

So seriously, you could have saved me from all that and you failed in your duty. I'm hurt. Real hurt.

88CRX
09-18-2005, 01:27 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

i just got home from the car wash actually

Z_Fan
09-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow! I'm shocked! :eek:

I'm sure it needed it to. High pressure sprayer to get the latest piece of dust off it, eh?

And your car was so clean it was sick. I mean, they don't come that clean from the factory. :D

You should see a doctor. It must be an illness. :rofl:

EK 2.0
09-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Wow! I'm shocked! :eek:

I'm sure it needed it to. High pressure sprayer to get the latest piece of dust off it, eh?

And your car was so clean it was sick. I mean, they don't come that clean from the factory. :D

You should see a doctor. It must be an illness. :rofl:

Dude, if we cant run 11's we should at least look good right?? haha...

ryder_23
09-18-2005, 01:37 PM
for z_fan
^

:rofl: :werd: i totally agree

me: Yo man, it looks fucking clean

Jaymez: no man, you missed a spot, spray the whole tire with tire shine, clean this crack out, blow this dust out, etc...

me: i dont think it can get any cleaner

Jaymez: last show it was 10 times cleaner, it can get cleaner trust me

me: *well hes my ride home, so go with it* alright, whatever you say...

I dont think i spent that much time detailing my car in a year, then the time i spent on his rims alone :rofl:

88CRX
09-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
for z_fan
^

:rofl: :werd: i totally agree

me: Yo man, it looks fucking clean

Jaymez: no man, you missed a spot, spray the whole tire with tire shine, clean this crack out, blow this dust out, etc...

me: i dont think it can get any cleaner

Jaymez: last show it was 10 times cleaner, it can get cleaner trust me

me: *well hes my ride home, so go with it* alright, whatever you say...

I dont think i spent that much time detailing my car in a year, then the time i spent on his rims alone :rofl:

it seriously looked like you cleaned the grass around his car with tire shine.... i thought i was bad :rofl: :rofl:

Z_Fan
09-18-2005, 02:36 PM
You guys are killing me...

JAYMEZ
09-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Im not that picky!

ok maybe I am, but i swear i saw dust! hahah.

Rule 1 of a car show : Always bring a friend/roomate that you can use as a slave rrr i mean help.

EK 2.0
09-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Im not that picky!

ok maybe I am, but i swear i saw dust! hahah.

Rule 1 of a car show : Always bring a friend/roomate that you can use as a slave rrr i mean help.

we need to train that roomie to clean the cars parked next to you as well...haha

sexualbanana
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM

I bet you love it when he does a bad job. Then you'd just punish him.

ryder_23
09-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

we need to train that roomie to clean the cars parked next to you as well...haha

pffftt, you told me to polish your .... what was i suppose to think... plus, if I detailed your car, you would of won, and then you would rub it in more on how much more pimp the EK is then the bb6 :rofl:

fendercontender
09-18-2005, 09:50 PM
excellent read, hahaha. like u said, i felt sorry for the black civic, screamin out 5000 rpm just keepin up. but not all 4 bangers are as bad. i was doing 160 just under 4000, not bad, all the way to edmonton on a lil under half a tank, $40 tank too :P hey, my cars good for SOMEthin!

Inzane
09-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Where the hell were you?

I was looking forward to meeting up, shooting the shit, oogling your Z and watch it scream off some 12's.

you failed in your duty. I'm hurt. Real hurt.

I'm sorry... I'm sorry. :cry:

JAYMEZ
09-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by fendercontender
excellent read, hahaha. like u said, i felt sorry for the black civic, screamin out 5000 rpm just keepin up. but not all 4 bangers are as bad. i was doing 160 just under 4000, not bad, all the way to edmonton on a lil under half a tank, $40 tank too :P hey, my cars good for SOMEthin!

Damn $40 that must be nice ...

Where did you dissapear to anyways? Did you auto x ?

Madspinner
09-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Yeah sorry to hear about your luck Z-fan,
Yeah I remember that excat ghost car on the way home. My rader went off , so I slowed down.
Yeah I was trying to keep up with you JAYMEZ_STi when you passed me. You kept pulling away , ha I finally just gave up and slowed down to 130 .

90Tegra
09-19-2005, 01:22 PM
hahah great pic. u guyz seem to have had a really nice time;)