PDA

View Full Version : Sl 55

Chu
02-08-2003, 02:31 PM
I saw an SL 55 on the road the other day, its a really nice car but for me I probably would choose the SL 600 over the SL 55. V12 (SL 600) over a V8 (SL 55).

rage2
02-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Why? The SL55 is faster, sportier suspension tune, and cheaper. Damn fun car.

Chu
02-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Mainly prestige and the engine only comes in the S, CL, SL unlike the E Class for the 55. There is something about the V12 too. Not many cars have a V12 now, but alot have V8's. The SL 600 is the most expensive benz and the price difference I am not sure but probably is around 25G (not that much considering the price of the cars), not to mention that it is easier to get an SL 600. Currently it is impossible to get an SL 55. For me I probably would choose the SL 600, just personal preference but the I would probably have more fun in the SL 55. Anyways this cars for me are too expensive, I would rather have a ML 500 (driving it during the winter) and a 911 C2 (in the summertime).

rage2
02-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Well I was curious cuz the SL55 and the SL600 caters to 2 different crowds (SL55 being sportier, SL600 being more bling). Of course the best of both worlds is coming as well, SL62 AMG, V12 motor with a whopping 600hp and 700tq.

Not that I can afford either hehe.

rage2
02-08-2003, 03:31 PM
BTW - off topic... you should winter your Porsche. It's sooo much fun. Light drifts down every street, I can't wipe the grin off my face everytime I go driving.

ConVict
02-08-2003, 03:34 PM
What the hell... 700 pounds of torque, with street tires on... just because rich guys are the only ones to buy these damn things doesnt mean they wont go side ways every time they push the gas.
Rage please tell me they got some super teched out tranny that only puts about 350tq to the wheels or else I dont see how it will move for the first 5 mintues of punching it :eek:

rage2
02-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Bosch ESP (PSM, DSC, all the same thing). ESP Traction control rocks. Floor it and it'll get (almost) the best traction/launch possible using brakes, throttle lift (drive by wire), etc.

ConVict
02-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Damn rich people :D
So unless you are on the highway going 150 km... I am pretty sure if you floored it, you would never see that 700lbs/tq

rage2
02-08-2003, 04:23 PM
You'll probably get wheelspin at 150km/h lol!

Chu
02-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by rage2
BTW - off topic... you should winter your Porsche. It's sooo much fun. Light drifts down every street, I can't wipe the grin off my face everytime I go driving.

I should be driving my porsche in the winter but my parents have this thing about how dangerous it is to drive it during the winter. They never drive their S500 in the winter that much either, paranoid about traction since it is rear wheel drive. They really should buy winter tires for it though. I feel its such a waste of money, but that is life. Anyways I drive a nice car during the winter now, so I don't miss my porsche as much. This winter has been so nice I wish I stored my car in my garage (so I could drive it once in a while during this nice winter) but there isn't room in the garage because I still live with my parents (3 car garage).

[GaGe]
02-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Well I was curious cuz the SL55 and the SL600 caters to 2 different crowds (SL55 being sportier, SL600 being more bling). Of course the best of both worlds is coming as well, SL62 AMG, V12 motor with a whopping 600hp and 700tq.

when's the SL62 coming out? sounds awesome! :D mercedes is making huge improvements.

mischief
02-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Chu

I should be driving my porsche in the winter but my parents have this thing about how dangerous it is to drive it during the winter. They never drive their S500 in the winter that much either, paranoid about traction since it is rear wheel drive. They really should buy winter tires for it though. I feel its such a waste of money, but that is life. Anyways I drive a nice car during the winter now, so I don't miss my porsche as much. This winter has been so nice I wish I stored my car in my garage (so I could drive it once in a while during this nice winter) but there isn't room in the garage because I still live with my parents (3 car garage).

Tell them to get the S 500 4Matic. No more traction problems then. :)

LancerShelby
02-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Chu

Life's a bitch eh?

CRXguy
02-09-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by LancerShelby

Life's a bitch eh?

No doubt!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Superesc
02-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Damn!

m@+CH
02-09-2003, 12:59 AM
sl 500 is the model i'm more familiar with
isn't the 55 an amg model???
AMG55 thats a swt car ..why bother with the 4 xtra cylinders
its nice enough haha
its not l;ike u have the xtra money 2 get yourself a sl anythgin

worry about gettin a mercedes b4 u worry about choosing between a v12 and a v8

m@+CH
02-09-2003, 01:02 AM
haha
chu my bad!
just read your post...haha let me guess ..you're chinese !! haha
anyways i'm too so don't take offense in my last post
for the money i woudl say the amg is more worth while getting
being rich is such a hard job ehh?? haha
stick with the porsche...awd in the snow ..can't go wrong

Chu
02-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Personally I would buy the SL 500 over the 55 and the 600. My comment is if you were going to buy an 55 why not buy the 600. It is a V12 compared to a V8, its just my opinion though.

I am chinese and I know am really lucky and grateful for what I have.

Glowrider
02-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Yeah, the new SL's are really nice cars. I haven't come across a real SL55 yet, just SL500's, some with AMG badging.

:dunno:

Why turn a perfectly respectable car into a mockery by badging it as something it's obviously not? I dunno...

rage2
02-09-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Glowrider
Why turn a perfectly respectable car into a mockery by badging it as something it's obviously not? I dunno...

Hey man, I take offense to that... my last car was a Ricer SLK 320 "AMG"! :rofl:

Stratus_Power
02-09-2003, 04:15 AM

Hey man, I take offense to that... my last car was a Ricer SLK 320 "AMG"! :rofl:
high roller's definition of ricer :confused:

Glowrider
02-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Hopefully you've stepped up to a SLK 32 by now, right?

rage2
02-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Hopefully you've stepped up to a SLK 32 by now, right?

haha yea, I had to wait forever cuz someone took my #1 waiting list spot!

[GaGe]
02-09-2003, 11:32 AM

haha yea, I had to wait forever cuz someone took my #1 waiting list spot!

haha.. they said your car was on it's way about 2 years before you got it. :rofl:

Originally posted by Chu
Personally I would buy the SL 500 over the 55 and the 600. My comment is if you were going to buy an 55 why not buy the 600. It is a V12 compared to a V8, its just my opinion though.

I am chinese and I know am really lucky and grateful for what I have.

the 600 is $20k more expensive than the 55, and their specs are basically the same. 600 engine produces a little more torque, but the 55 has a sportier suspension, and better wheels. both cars have the same amount of HP.

Hakkola
02-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by [GaGe]

a little more torque, but the 55 has a sportier suspension, and better wheels.

ummm Gage, 590 ft/lbs torque is in the 600 compared to 518ft/lbs in the amg.

[GaGe]
02-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

ummm Gage, 590 ft/lbs torque is in the 600 compared to 518ft/lbs in the amg.

nevermind.. i thought it was closer than that, heh.

rage2
02-09-2003, 02:31 PM
The biggest difference in the 2 motors is where the large TQ is. Sure the 600 v12 has higher tq, but it's only at 1200rpm till around 4200rpm, where as the 55's huge tq range is from 2400rpm to 5400rpm. This is why the HP #'s are the same, cuz the 55 motor makes the TQ higher up.

Redlyne_mr2
02-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Why would you not want the sl55amg, its an award winning car that outhandles and outperforms the 600. People who buy a car to show of their wealth and sacrifice performance to achieve an image are such posers.

Chu
02-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Why would you not want the sl55amg, its an award winning car that outhandles and outperforms the 600. People who buy a car to show of their wealth and sacrifice performance to achieve an image are such posers.

A person driving an SL 600 is a poser, maybe or maybe not.

The SLK 32 is probably a better car to drive than the SL 55 too (I think) and the new version of the SLK will be much better (probably have the same roof as the SL). It is like half the price too. The SLK 32 is a pocket rocket while the SL 55 is a much bigger car.

WRX is quite close to a porsche 996 4wd, so basically people driving their porsche should just drive a WRX much cheaper with the roughly the same performance.

Basically, my point is which maybe totally off track from the quote is for every expensive car you can find a cheaper car with basically the same specs, so people buying the more expensive cars, are they posers?

E36M3
02-10-2003, 07:10 PM
A huge part of an expensive car is image. I think that the SL55 is more of a compromise than the SL600 (keeping in mind that I have not driven/riden in either, so I am bench racing here).

I do, though, have a neighbor with a CL500 and a CL600 (bought three months apart) and he bought the CL500 second only because he couldn't see the extra 'value' in the 600.

I think it comes down to personal preference.. I don't think that there is any question that the SL55 is faster.. the SL600 is definately made for status seekers.

If I was so concerned with the snob factor of the SL600, I'd probably but an SL55 (my preferred car) and put an SL600 badge on it. Best of both worlds :) (Maybe through some Brabus rims on it and stick a Brabus SL73 or whatever the designation is on it and be a double snob)

If I was going to sink the cash necessary into getting an SL600, I'd take a good hard look at some of its obvious competitors.. there is a lot of goodness in this range.

A WRX is quite close to a 996 C4? I suppose, theoretically, but it is a bit of a stretch.

I think that cars are a perfect illustration of the law of diminishing returns.. you pay a lot for the last 1% of goodness. An SL500 is 95% as good as an SL600 IMHO, and an SL55 is probably 99.9% as good from a snob factor perspective (maybe even better) and certainly a better performer.

Originally posted by Chu

The SLK 32 is probably a better car to drive than the SL 55 too (I think) and the new version of the SLK will be much better (probably have the same roof as the SL). It is like half the price too. The SLK 32 is a pocket rocket while the SL 55 is a much bigger car.

WRX is quite close to a porsche 996 4wd, so basically people driving their porsche should just drive a WRX much cheaper with the roughly the same performance.

Basically, my point is which maybe totally off track from the quote is for every expensive car you can find a cheaper car with basically the same specs, so people buying the more expensive cars, are they posers?

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 08:28 PM
I thought we were talking about the new SL's? As far as I know there is no SL600 with the new body style.

E36M3
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
It'll be available as a 2004 model. You can't buy one yet.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/83142/page017.html

I thought we were talking about the new SL's? As far as I know there is no SL600 with the new body style.

[GaGe]
02-10-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Chu

the SLK32 is probably better around the corners, but the SL55 is definately better on the straight. the SLK may be smaller than the SL, but the SL isn't that big.

WRX has 227 HP and 217 ft/lbs torque, and the carerra 4 has 315 HP and 273 ft/lbs torque. Pretty big difference. also, the carerra 4 is a much more luxurious car. Carerra 4 has leather, powered seats while the WRX has a momo interior.

Redlyne_mr2
02-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Chu

Saying that the slk32 is a much better car to drive is a rather general and uneducated statement, it is of course a personal preference as to which car is more enjoyable and there is of course a reason why the sl55amg is so much more money. I never stated that people who buy expensive cars are posers. I said that those who sacrifice performance to achieve an image are posers. Personally I'm more impressed by a persons taste and potential knowledge of cars when I see them in an sl55...you can keep your 600's those are for the Bob Barkers of the world. Why were you comparing the Porsche to the WRX again?

Chu
02-10-2003, 10:50 PM

Saying that the slk32 is a much better car to drive is a rather general and uneducated statement, it is of course a personal preference as to which car is more enjoyable and there is of course a reason why the sl55amg is so much more money. I never stated that people who buy expensive cars are posers. I said that those who sacrifice performance to achieve an image are posers. Personally I'm more impressed by a persons taste and potential knowledge of cars when I see them in an sl55...you can keep your 600's those are for the Bob Barkers of the world. Why were you comparing the Porsche to the WRX again?

Actually what I meant to say was that SLK 32 might be a more enjoyable car than an SLK exactly what you said. I don't know how to respond to your question but the WRX is a great car, I was just trying to make a point. Remember, I drive a porsche so when people compare the WRX to the porsche, it kinda pisses me off. My car is a hundred grand compared to the WRX (high thirtys). But the WRX does a lot for the price and there isn't many cars that can beat it for the price (new cars).

I think this topic is like ferrari 360 over a Porshce Twin Turbo.

For me hands down its the porsche because of numerous reasons but mainly it does everything the ferrari does but you can actually drive it everyday.

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 11:17 PM
If I was going to get an SL, or any MB for that matter...I'd go for the AMG model everytime.

Speaking of which, saw a nice silver E55 AMG today.

Hakkola
02-11-2003, 12:40 AM
Gage, the SL is actually pretty big, it's based off the s class and has so much technology in it, it's heavy, it weighs more than the E class.

The SL55 and SL600 are very different cars, the SL55 would be like an Aston Martin while the SL600 is more like a Bentley. They have different ideas for a car with the same platform. The SL600 will hold it's own on the straights, it has the same HP and 70 more ft/lbs of torque, it's more of a grand tourer with a more luxurious interior, like say a Bentley, while the AMG is more like Aston Martin with more of an idea of performance model image, I think you can't go wrong with either cars, they may share the same SL badging and look, but they're are actually quite a few more differences between them than you guys are letting on.

rage2
02-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
but they're are actually quite a few more differences between them than you guys are letting on.

AFAIK, everything that's optional on the SL500 and SL55 will be standard on the SL600. No options available, everything is there!

Initial_D
02-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Chu

yes you are a poser!

Initial_D
02-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Chu
Remember, I drive a porsche so when people compare the WRX to the porsche, it kinda pisses me off. My car is a hundred grand compared to the WRX (high thirtys). But the WRX does a lot for the price and there isn't many cars that can beat it for the price (new cars).

the wrx is not a good comparison. you should compare with the eagle talon. awd, put in boost control and it is faster than your porsche which is really just an overpriced penis extension. all for the price of about $20000. faster than your porsh.
your porsh is not worth $100000 you can get so much better with $100000. only stupid people buy porsh but thats just what i think!

Initial_D
02-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Chu
For me hands down its the porsche because of numerous reasons but mainly it does everything the ferrari does but you can actually drive it everyday.

a ferrari will beat your pos porsh anyday. how can you compare a real exotic to a volkswagen???

buh_buh
02-11-2003, 10:35 AM
that's Porche dumbass.

rage2
02-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
that's Porche dumbass.

:rofl: It's Porsche.

And Initial D, calm down.

Glowrider
02-11-2003, 11:05 AM
a ferrari will beat your pos porsh anyday

How exactly does a Porsche fit into the "pos" category?

buh_buh
02-11-2003, 12:15 PM

:rofl: It's Porsche.

haha my bad.:D
at least I was closer than him.:rofl:

XylathaneGTR
02-11-2003, 01:28 PM
lol
This discussion getting to be a big flame war :(

Anyways, I saw a Silver SL500 or SL55 parked next to a Baby Blue Porsche Carerra i THINK 911 (It had the big rice wing that GlowRiders mom's porsche has.)
This was at St. Lukes Church parking lot on Northland Drive, i was on the bus...and i was like THE FUCK?

This was in november...

lammer
02-12-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Initial_D

the wrx is not a good comparison. you should compare with the eagle talon. awd, put in boost control and it is faster than your porsche which is really just an overpriced penis extension. all for the price of about $20000. faster than your porsh.
your porsh is not worth $100000 you can get so much better with $100000. only stupid people buy porsh but thats just what i think!

only stupid people will get all hot headed over things on what people have to say. i sense a little bit of jelousy in you??

Yellow_Fly_Red
02-25-2003, 02:52 AM
Chu..
yours is a C4? NICE :)

Porsches are my fave sports cars..... with the Turbo being the ultimate dream car for me (next to the 360 Spyder of course)..

well.. since I can't even afford a C2 or C4 right now (trying to buy a house)...

I'm still comptemplating on putting down a deposit on the New SLK AMG model (R171)... more bang for the buck compared to the Boxster and I already have a few friends with Boxsters already.

girlRACER
02-25-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red

I'm still comptemplating on putting down a deposit on the New SLK AMG model (R171)... more bang for the buck compared to the Boxster and I already have a few friends with Boxsters already.

Forget about the Boxster, R171 is the way to go! :drool: :love:

max_boost
02-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Dam....all these sexy cars! I am envious! Not jealous, there is a difference! haha maybe my daddy and mommy will buy me one when I graduate school as a moving out present :D

Redlyne_mr2
02-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red
Chu..
yours is a C4? NICE :)

Porsches are my fave sports cars..... with the Turbo being the ultimate dream car for me (next to the 360 Spyder of course)..

well.. since I can't even afford a C2 or C4 right now (trying to buy a house)...

Chu's is a C2 I believe....and yes the upsoming R171 will put the Boxster to shame...BMW does have surprises coming for the new M3 however.

ZorroAMG
03-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Hakkola is right with what he said about the diff between 55's and 600's and FWIW, the 600 is about $40,000 more than a 55 (130-140K VS 170-180K) and the 600 does not get as good brakes (14.9" 8 piston calipers on AMG) or any unquie styling cues...it is subtle (still a sleeper though) The added weight of the huge twin turbo V12 offsets the difference in power and makes it less nimble and quick. I have a friend who owns a new SL55 and we were playing on Elbow 2 days ago...for the record the thing sounds like and performs like a fucking F16!! :guns:

Glowrider
03-17-2003, 05:37 PM
I saw a black SL55 AMG today, coming out of the parking garage I park in. Wow. Beautiful.

rage2
03-17-2003, 05:39 PM
BMW does have surprises coming for the new M3 however.

This motor's not going to blow! Surprise! :rofl:

Sorry, had to say it :D.

Glowrider
03-17-2003, 05:41 PM

This motor's not going to blow! Surprise! :rofl:

Sorry, had to say it :D.

Can't blame you for that one!

___2PaC___
03-17-2003, 07:20 PM

:eek: Really? Damn well its gonna be a nice car with the 55 n 600 in one, ohhhhh can't wait to see it on the streets