PDA

View Full Version : Effective workout -> Just DBs

Ripper
09-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi

My apartment gym only has dumbbells and machines. Is it still possible to get a fully effective workout w/o barbells. A gym is kind of expensive for me right now.

I guess something is better then nothing though!

~Leah~
09-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Barbells aren't that big of a necessity. In fact, sometimes you're better off not using them, because usually one arm ends up over compensating. I think it's quite useful to just use DB's because that way you know you're lifting equal amounts in both arms and its physiologically challenging to do this as well.

Tyler883
09-19-2005, 08:10 PM
I would say that dumbells are important to my training. I have a set of dumbells at work that I use during my breaks, and it allows me to blank out my calender like a bingo sheet( showing which days I've workout). I know trips to the gym are better, but I often don't go to the gym, so the dumbell workouts are definitely a step in the right direction.

hockeybronx
09-19-2005, 11:34 PM
I found just the thing you need, compliments of the worlds best magazine - Mens Health:

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=20a878693c664010VgnVCM100000cfe793cd____

If the link doesn't work go on the search function of their website and type in "maximum muscle" and it'll come up.

JeremyD
09-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Lately I have had decent gains using dumbbells only (with the exception of dips. I just used 2 benches for that - my current body weight is more than enough resistance).

It has shown me that it is more than just my left arm that is weaker than the right arm. I enjoy it so far. Only 3 weeks in so time will tell

BlueFrenzy
09-22-2005, 01:49 AM
The key is to switch it up often. Depending on your body, you may need to switch up your exercises every 2-3 weeks. It's funny when I first started lifting in 1st year univ, I remember seeing some dudes lifting. Throughout the years (they were regulars as well), I noticed that they were still doing the same exercises when I first met them. And guess what? They still look the same as when I first saw them. I wouldn't be surprised if they are lifting the same weight and "just can't get over the plateau".

Myself personally, I need to switch to new exercises every 1.5-2 weeks.

But to answer your original question ... dumbbells are great. You can do ALL the same exercises with dumbbell. The link that hockeybronx put up is great. Lots of good reading material on that site.