PDA

View Full Version : E-Braking...

davidI
02-08-2003, 06:16 PM
What's the worst thing that could happen to your car mechanically by doing e-brakes when it's snowy/slushy.

I just want to know whether I should be doing them or not...but they're so much fun!

ramminghard
02-08-2003, 06:18 PM
break the e-brake cable.

davidI
02-08-2003, 06:27 PM
and how much would it cost to fix that?

if you're gentle I don't see breaking it...maybe stretching it a little bit.

GTS Jeff
02-08-2003, 06:44 PM
some ppl tend to pull the ebrake really hard and they snap the cable or break some other component that links the handle to the brakes.

but worse yet, u could get into an accident while screwing around

Ben
02-08-2003, 06:51 PM
or you can twist the chassy, but that would have to be a pretty shitty car.

GTS Jeff
02-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Benny
or you can twist the chassy, but that would have to be a pretty shitty car. lol how would u twist the chassis doing an ebrake turn? u would need tires as sticky as crazy glue for that

Ben
02-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
lol how would u twist the chassis doing an ebrake turn? u would need tires as sticky as crazy glue for that

I know 3 people who have twisted chassys doing Donuts in parking lots in their trucks.

kaput
02-08-2003, 09:56 PM

T5_X
02-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Benny

I know 3 people who have twisted chassys doing Donuts in parking lots in their trucks.

Bwahahahaha!!!! I wish my truck had chassis twisting power!

CanadaCivicSIR
02-08-2003, 11:14 PM
I've seen people brake the bead on their tires.

davidI
02-08-2003, 11:20 PM
allright, well I don't see hitting a curb or anything because I usually have pretty good control over the car...

I usually reverse into my driveway so I've been practicing cruising up the street doing ~40, pulling the e-brake, sliding sideways for ~20 feet and then stopping her perpendiculary to the driveway right where I have to reverse into my spot.

I just wanted to make sure there would be no problems doing this...I'm pretty damn good at it right now and I haven't practiced that much because I like the road to be nice and slick.

4wheeldrift
02-08-2003, 11:20 PM
I'd be more worried about hitting something than breaking your e-brake cable. Get car control skills, THEN start messing around. And no, on the street or in a parking lot full of curbs are NOT good places to learn car control.

RiceCake
02-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Just be careful as it seems as though, Curb always wins!

m@+CH
02-09-2003, 12:45 AM
chassis ... tied rod ends
haha my tie rod ends got messed last year cause i was doin sno drift
haha not doin that again
the ebrake cable doesn't break that easily
just messes up your steering column and might twist chassis
screws up your allignment!! which means coughing up another 60 bucks 2 get it alligned =P

veedub
02-09-2003, 12:47 AM
last winter i was goofing around in the snow hit a curb bent both front and rear rims axel tie rods drums........and im sure that was it :thumbsdow

Glowrider
02-09-2003, 01:11 AM
E-brake turns suck...RWD rocks :)

tegdream
02-09-2003, 02:02 AM
if ur going fast enough, then u dont need the e-brake to turn :D

Weapon_R
02-09-2003, 06:33 AM
Nothing should happen. I do it sometimes when I start slipping and can't make the turn.

I've NEVER heard of anyone bending their chassis...lol

The only thing i'd be worried about is hitting a car or a curb while doing it...but then again, you deserve it if you try and brake while turning into a crowded street.

James
02-09-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by davidI
allright, well I don't see hitting a curb or anything because I usually have pretty good control over the car...

I usually reverse into my driveway so I've been practicing cruising up the street doing ~40, pulling the e-brake, sliding sideways for ~20 feet and then stopping her perpendiculary to the driveway right where I have to reverse into my spot.

I just wanted to make sure there would be no problems doing this...I'm pretty damn good at it right now and I haven't practiced that much because I like the road to be nice and slick.

lol, i use to do that in the Duster! 180 into the driveway, nailed it a few tims! :D

Originally posted by Glowrider

Just what i was gonna say! e-brake ares for sissies! lol j/k

mrmattyk
02-09-2003, 07:03 AM
My friend had a GTI and thought it was be fun to do some 'drifting' with some ebraking in the winter. He thought he could 'drift' into a cul-de-sac but he hit a mailbox. It's fun, but could be dangerous.

three.eighteen.
02-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider

heh, ive actually managed to use the e-brake to kick out the back end in my bimmer, its not the the e-brakes that drifts but its the lock up and then when you get on the gas again, it throws it into a nice predictable drift

frostyda9
02-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Think twice about doing crazy e-brake slides after you have installed a nice big, stiff rear anti-sway bar. Ask me how I know this.... :nut: