PDA

View Full Version : 275's, problems with them

canadian_hustla
09-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Ok so i recently bought a newer car, 95 mustang. It came with aftermarket 17's with 275 rims. One thing i have noticed is that the car is VERY hard to handle, it seems to stick to every carving in the road. For example on roads where trucks are common, the car will pull right. However on places like deerfoot, the car will pull left and right. It seems like I am also fighting to keep it in between the tire tracks on the right and roughed up road on the left

is this normal?

oh yeah and as a result of this, handling is shit

Redlyne_mr2
09-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Yeah lower profile tires do not absorb the bumps like a higher profile tire and are succeptable to bump steer.

FiveFreshFish
09-20-2005, 12:51 AM
Tires have the most direct influence on tramlining because they are the part of the vehicle that comes into contact with the road (and the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves that exist there). Unfortunately anything that increases a high performance tire's responsiveness also increases its willingness to tramline.

High performance tires with short sidewalls that develop lots of cornering power at lower slip angles will be more susceptible to tramlining than standard All-Season passenger tires that develop less cornering force until their slip angle increases. A wider treaded tire will encounter more longitudinal ruts and/or grooves in the road than a narrow treaded tire. A tire with large tread blocks that transmits the driver's input to the road with great precision will also transmit the road's imperfections back to the vehicle's suspension. And because tires become more responsive as their tread depth wears away (which is why tires are shaved for competition and track use), a tire will become more likely to tramline as it wears.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

canadian_hustla
03-31-2006, 11:45 AM
bump

I have heard of bump steer kits that you can buy off ebay, do these actually work?

Moe Man
03-31-2006, 12:51 PM
its called road crown, no way to stop it. the wider the tires are the worse it gets.

rony_espana
03-31-2006, 01:00 PM
I always wondered what that was, I thought it was something with my truck, I've got some 275/45/20 and it just pulls left and right especially on deerfoot north, getting towards 16th Ave. I got my wheels balanced, rotated, filled to the right psi etc...and there was absolutely no change.

sleeperstang
03-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Nothing you can do about the car dancing all over the road, you kinda get used to it after awhile and you'll develop a second nature to correct the car automatically...kinda like learning how to tightrope :)

Common problem areas in calgary include:
Barlow, Deerfoot between 16th and memorial, 16th Ave and basically any other road with lots of traffic.

As for the handling problems try adjusting your camber settings before investing in a bumpsteer kit.

FatboyTheHungry
03-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Yep, the wider the tires, the more they will track the imperfections in the road.

@lchy
03-31-2006, 04:49 PM
also, if your offset is wrong, or different than factory your develop bumpsteer and an improper scrub radius. It is going to be difficult to fix, but making sure your camber/caster and toe are all in spec may help.

legendboy
03-31-2006, 04:57 PM
hmm i figured something like this as my supra has the same problem

benyl
03-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Also, any tires with extremely stiff sidewalls will react this way. The stock tires on my car are 225, but feel like they are made from solid steel. My tracks all over uneven roads.

Mr_ET
03-31-2006, 05:18 PM
same thing on my civic with 17's 40 sidewall and 205mm wide on stock suspension :( no power steering doesnt help either

b_t
03-31-2006, 05:21 PM
with my 225s on my 18s this happens too. I like it, it reminds me that I am driving a perform... err, sportyish car :D

al-ti2d
03-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by b_t
with my 225s on my 18s this happens too. I like it, it reminds me that I am driving a perform... err, sportyish car :D

lol nice save

canadian_hustla
04-01-2006, 02:05 AM
alright well thanks for the answers, i guess i will just have to live with it

or sell them :)

GTS Jeff
04-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla

or sell them :) Don't bother with the bumpsteer kit, whatever that is...because bumpsteer is different from tramlining. Bump steer is what happens when your suspension geometry is messed; when you lower a car, the front control arms will point up. As a result, when you hit bumps while cornering, the bump will throw the car "off." This has nothing to do with tramlining.

Also, I noticed that you said your car doesn't handle well. Buddy, the 275 tires aren't the problem (they actually help handling,) it's the car itself. I'm sure you can help it out with some upgrades, but c'mon Mustangs are notorious for poor handling.

AllGoNoShow
04-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Don't forget if your running say 235's up front and 285's out back, you will be alot worse off then just runnign 255's all the way around :)

canadian_hustla
04-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Don't bother with the bumpsteer kit, whatever that is...because bumpsteer is different from tramlining. Bump steer is what happens when your suspension geometry is messed; when you lower a car, the front control arms will point up. As a result, when you hit bumps while cornering, the bump will throw the car "off." This has nothing to do with tramlining.

Also, I noticed that you said your car doesn't handle well. Buddy, the 275 tires aren't the problem (they actually help handling,) it's the car itself. I'm sure you can help it out with some upgrades, but c'mon Mustangs are notorious for poor handling.

LOL

mustang hating aside, I disagree with the handling comment in that I have winter tires for it (pure stock), and the bump steer / tramlining / whatever other names are for it go away completely.

I guess one could say that the car feels EVERYTHING that i go over, and plus it does pull and shake a lot with the summer tires on.. mind you, they stick out half an inch outside my wheel wells so they are definately too big

its ok, i will get used to it - but thanks for the help :)

- on a side note, my 82 beamer handles FAR better than my mustang - the mustang is absolute garbage on turns i.. it feels like it is going to flip haha

so you are wrong, but then you are sort of right
:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
04-02-2006, 01:01 PM

LOL

mustang hating aside, I disagree with the handling comment in that I have winter tires for it (pure stock), and the bump steer / tramlining / whatever other names are for it go away completely.

I guess one could say that the car feels EVERYTHING that i go over, and plus it does pull and shake a lot with the summer tires on.. mind you, they stick out half an inch outside my wheel wells so they are definately too big

its ok, i will get used to it - but thanks for the help :)

- on a side note, my 82 beamer handles FAR better than my mustang - the mustang is absolute garbage on turns i.. it feels like it is going to flip haha

so you are wrong, but then you are sort of right
:thumbsup: Re-read my post. Bump steer and tramlining are two different things. You are experiencing tram lining, NOT bump steer. The reason your "problems" went away with winter tires is because your winter tires have a softer sidewall, which is worse for handling. Tramlining is a side effect of better handling.

canadian_hustla
04-03-2006, 01:41 AM
^

I see what you are saying,

I took her out for a drive today with the summers on, and the car can literally turn on a dime. Sure there is vibration and tram lining at high speeds, but it is a tradeoff for superb handling

maybe i will keep them after all

thanks for your help Jeff

modded46
04-03-2006, 04:33 PM

or sell them :)

You could also just sell me your stang so I have another yellow sn95 ;)

modded46
04-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Subframes and proper shock/spring combo and it will corner just fine thanks. :P

sleeperstang
04-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Don't forget if your running say 235's up front and 285's out back, you will be alot worse off then just runnign 255's all the way around :)

Very true...different width tires on front & rear will exagerrate tramlining even more!

GTS Jeff
04-03-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm sure you can help it out with some upgrades, but c'mon Mustangs are notorious for poor handling.

Originally posted by modded46

Subframes and proper shock/spring combo and it will corner just fine thanks. :P

I'm sure you can help it out with some upgrades,

canadian_hustla
04-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by modded46

You could also just sell me your stang so I have another yellow sn95 ;)

^ LOL

Do you have any pics of your sn95?
canary yellow is a somewhat rare color

modded46
04-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I actually have a D6 colour code 04 Mustang which is called Screaming Yellow. Pics can be found....

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/modded46/Auto/

I believe the canary yellow is very similiar.

canadian_hustla
04-05-2006, 02:13 PM
NICE looking car,

let me know when you are in the market to sell it.. haha

modded46
04-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks! I'll sell it today if I get a good price for it.. I want a 03-04 cobra. :)