PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Moulding

adam-civic
09-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey Guys,

Anyone here have experience molding a front bumped to the car?

Any pointers? I am getting into body work as of the last year and am going to take this on but really dont see where to start, would I rivet the one bumper to the other and then use a filler to fill the seams?

Now, would you suggest I use a fiberglass filler, and then once its sanded go over it with bondo for cosmetic looks?

adam-civic
09-20-2005, 12:17 PM
I was looking at another molded car and it looks like they didnt rivet anything and just used bondo to fill the seams..

TEAMFaint
09-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Molding is easier than it looks, but its time consuming if you wanan do it right. This is how me and celicaguy. are molding on my sides and read and how he is molding his rear:

Steps
1) Rivet on the bumper/sideskirt. For my side skirts we rivetted every 2 inches down the sideskirt. Very easy to do.

2) Take some sand paper and simply sand overtop of the rivet head so that it is flat and almost underneath the fibreglass but still is in tact.

3) Take your 50 grit sandpaper and sand down to the BARE METAL a fair amount overtop or far away from the bumper/sideskirt/etc. *NOTE - Fibreglass wont stick unless its to the bare metal, so make sure.

4) Apply your fibreglass to the bare metal and over lap onto the fibreglassed bumper/sideskirt.

5) Bondo overtop of the fibreglass *NOTE - Bondo will stick to fibreglass but fibreglass wont stick to bondo, so you must go fibreglass first then bondo.

6) Sand the hell out of it. Get it nice and smooth so it gives the bumper and fenders the nice "one piece effect."

Correct me if im wrong. but this is the way I have been told by another celica owner and how celicaguy. is molding his rear and i will be molding my rear and sides.