PDA

View Full Version : Eating healthy at U of C..

Jynx
09-20-2005, 04:13 PM
What are some healthy options for meals other than subway at U of C?

eblend
09-20-2005, 04:18 PM
subway at uofc is garbege, just ate there 20 min ago, doesn't taste that good compared to other subways, maybe its just cuz they give u 2 pieces of cheese and a pickel, what a rip

Ramdawg
09-20-2005, 04:32 PM
That pita on the run place has got some healthy alternatives

Chim
09-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Rice vermicelli and grilled chicken @ the vietnamese place

t-im
09-20-2005, 05:15 PM
healthy food = $$ @ UC

well..food itself @ UC is $$ and pretty gross.

Your best bet is to prepare healthy meals yourself and brown bag it.

AcuraTl
09-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

R-Audi
09-20-2005, 05:38 PM
They dont call it Freshman 15 for no reason!!

Vagabond142
09-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Believe me, if you think things are bad on the customer side of the subway counter, I can tell you from experience it's 10 times worse on the inside. Long story short, I sued him and won my case for mistreatment of employees and constructive dismissal.

Anyways, for healthy(ish) stuff there is the vietnamese place with veggies and lean chicken, or the Pita on the Run with some of their yummies in the display case (beef and tomato crisp pie = :thumbsup: )

There's also the udon and wonton soups from the Japanese and Chinese places, respectively. While not "healthy" per se, they taste awesome and have less caloric and fat content per serving than most places in Mac Hall. Plus, the soup is sooooo YUMMY! :bigpimp:

AcuraTl
09-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Believe me, if you think things are bad on the customer side of the subway counter, I can tell you from experience it's 10 times worse on the inside. Long story short, I sued him and won my case for mistreatment of employees and constructive dismissal.

Anyways, for healthy(ish) stuff there is the vietnamese place with veggies and lean chicken, or the Pita on the Run with some of their yummies in the display case (beef and tomato crisp pie = :thumbsup: )

There's also the udon and wonton soups from the Japanese and Chinese places, respectively. While not "healthy" per se, they taste awesome and have less caloric and fat content per serving than most places in Mac Hall. Plus, the soup is sooooo YUMMY! :bigpimp:

holy shit details :devil:

l8braker
09-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by AcuraTl

:werd:

that jewish guy lives up to the many stereotypes of his race :nut:

lol, thanks for the laugh man!

:rofl: :rofl:

AcuraTl
09-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

lol, thanks for the laugh man!

:rofl: :rofl:

:nut:

thanks for the quote original quote got removed :D :D

Charon
09-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Egg salad sandwich at Timmys. I can never seem to get enough of those....

t-im
09-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Charon

If you like egg salad sandwiches at Timmy's, go to the lazy Loaf and Kettle. 10000x better. I find Timmy's egg salad sandwiches are dry and tasteless!

AsianCaucasian
09-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Charon

I haven't touched timmy's once yet... the line is too imposing. I guess you could eat the so called "fresh" stuff at pastels but that stuff costs a lot. Some of the cafeterias around UC serve some not so bad stuff. Souplink is ok as well.

Zero102
09-21-2005, 07:34 PM

Wow, I'm definately interested to hear more!
I damn near waged a holy war on that jackass last year over his abuse of employees, and his nazi policies regarding customers. Because of how stingy and arrogant he is, he lost my business, and the business of at least 5 of my friends. May be peanuts to him, but $100/week is $100/week...

I've seen him yell and scream at employees several times, and I don't agree with it in the least. At one point, he completely reamed out one of the sandwich making people for giving me too many pickles, when I asked for extra pickles. It got bad enough that I had to step in. That is just low.

This year, I just drive to the subway by SAIT if I really want it. It's only a couple minutes each way, so with an hour's break, I have time to spare once I'm done eating, besides, the line is SO much smaller, and the people (For the most part) are a lot nicer.

AcuraTl
09-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Wow, I'm definately interested to hear more!
I damn near waged a holy war on that jackass last year over his abuse of employees, and his nazi policies regarding customers. Because of how stingy and arrogant he is, he lost my business, and the business of at least 5 of my friends. May be peanuts to him, but $100/week is $100/week...

I've seen him yell and scream at employees several times, and I don't agree with it in the least. At one point, he completely reamed out one of the sandwich making people for giving me too many pickles, when I asked for extra pickles. It got bad enough that I had to step in. That is just low.

This year, I just drive to the subway by SAIT if I really want it. It's only a couple minutes each way, so with an hour's break, I have time to spare once I'm done eating, besides, the line is SO much smaller, and the people (For the most part) are a lot nicer.

good lord, yo lets meet up one time order footlongs and ask for extra pickles...if he doesent give them tell them to eat the sub themselves... lets do it mangg!

Vagabond142
09-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by AcuraTl

holy shit details :devil:

Ask and ye shall receive

I'll only post the details that I know will not end me up in legal water again with that bitch.

A couple of incidents:

-I was on the sandwich line as the "finalizer," the guy that puts your veggies, sauces and such on and cuts and wraps your sandwich. Well, this guy wanted extra onions, so I gave it to him... in doing so, I made the sandwich just a LITTLE too thick, so I did a perfectly sensible thing, I used the spreading knife to push down on the fillings very very VERY lightly so that I could hinge the sandwich closed without ejecting veggies and sauces everywhere. Anyways, Brian (the guy's name that owns the place, Bitchimus Maximus) ****IMMEDIATELY**** was all over, screaming and yelling that I was ruining the sandwich by squishing it. I did the rest of my 5 hour shift (about 3.5 hours) doing the dishes, which leads to story #2....

-DISHES! Omfg.... I was verbalized up twice for being TOO SLOW on the dishes... despite the fact that I actually cared about hygiene and health, and actually SCRUBBED the dishes, cutting boards, etc. Most of the time, it's just dip once in all three sinks (soap, bleach, rinse) and then onto the drying racks in about 3 seconds flat. I was tempted many times to call the health inspectors in on the place, but he smartened up a LITTLE when some people complained about it.

- "Fresh" veggies. HAH! :confused: Fresh my A-S-S! Most of the tomatoes we had to prepare were soft and squishy (I'm talking wrinkled skin squishy, like a tomato that's been left out on the counter for a week in sunlight). Well, we cut off the "squishy bits" and used the slicer dicer (very nice machine that does the tomatoes into even slices) on them anyways. NOTE: This did improve over time, somewhat. By the time I was shoved out the door, there were only 10-15 soggy tomatoes to a box of 40-50.

The worst was a shipment of tomatoes that came in that I immediately threw into the garbage, they were soggy and MOLDY in the box. When the manager on duty (not Brian) screamed and yelled at me about it (I was "wasting good produce"), I basically told him to go shove it up his ass in kinder words ("Good produce? did you even SEE those tomatoes? I wouldn't feed one to you even if it was the last food on earth. They were NASTY!").

-Employees at Campus subway are (or were, in the months of September to December 2003) verbally abused nearly daily by management staff. You put ONE foot wrong, I mean even an extra pickle out of place, and you get stomped. It's worse out back in food prep, which is why I said it was 10 times worse than most people see. You cut a cucumber too thick in the rotary slicer, you have to do it all again, with a supervisor breathing down your neck. Some of the managers, no names mentioned, were also racist to some degree.

-As for the suing case, the details I can share is that Brian effectively reduced my hours to zero while giving me the impression that "next week" I would be getting hours. This went on for two months before I finally said "enough," and formally resigned and brought a letter of demands against him, asking pretty much for lost wages (in the range of ~$1000 over 3.5 months at the rate I was working before constructive dismissal) and an apology. No response.

Filed a civil claim, and upon serving the papers to him, WITH A WITNESS PRESENT (name withheld for protection), he basically came around the counter, and physically assaulted me (punched my shoulder medium hard, then shoved me around while I was standing there in shock at his actions). I restrained and did not retaliate, which won favor in my case with the judge. He replied with a counter-claim which was absolutely baseless.

Long story short, fast forward a couple of months. Pre-trial meeting. First thing he does, IN FRONT OF A JUDGE AND JUDICIAL CLERK, is call me a lying asshole. All the judge could do was stare at him in amazement. I mean, for the sake of the green earth, you BEHAVE in front of a duly appointed Judge of the Law. After opening statements from both sides, the judge basically told Brian he had no case, and we settled on $100 for legal fees paid to me seeing as he had already spent over $2500 on his lawyer (whom, if I had his lawyer, I would fire right away....) and a promise to improve working conditions.

I know that this post will most likely get me in trouble with people that side with Brian, but I don't give a shit. I sued and won a small settlement. That's all I care about, honestly.

Also, in case you didn't know it, Brian also owns the Jugo Juice down the hall just in front of the ballroom. Conditions there, while better (at least they only have to deal with Brian's egomaniacal son as the manager), are far from paradise.

And so, I end my post :bigpimp:

AcuraTl
09-22-2005, 10:03 AM

Ask and ye shall receive

I'll only post the details that I know will not end me up in legal water again with that bitch.

A couple of incidents:

-I was on the sandwich line as the "finalizer," the guy that puts your veggies, sauces and such on and cuts and wraps your sandwich. Well, this guy wanted extra onions, so I gave it to him... in doing so, I made the sandwich just a LITTLE too thick, so I did a perfectly sensible thing, I used the spreading knife to push down on the fillings very very VERY lightly so that I could hinge the sandwich closed without ejecting veggies and sauces everywhere. Anyways, Brian (the guy's name that owns the place, Bitchimus Maximus) ****IMMEDIATELY**** was all over, screaming and yelling that I was ruining the sandwich by squishing it. I did the rest of my 5 hour shift (about 3.5 hours) doing the dishes, which leads to story #2....

-DISHES! Omfg.... I was verbalized up twice for being TOO SLOW on the dishes... despite the fact that I actually cared about hygiene and health, and actually SCRUBBED the dishes, cutting boards, etc. Most of the time, it's just dip once in all three sinks (soap, bleach, rinse) and then onto the drying racks in about 3 seconds flat. I was tempted many times to call the health inspectors in on the place, but he smartened up a LITTLE when some people complained about it.

- "Fresh" veggies. HAH! :confused: Fresh my A-S-S! Most of the tomatoes we had to prepare were soft and squishy (I'm talking wrinkled skin squishy, like a tomato that's been left out on the counter for a week in sunlight). Well, we cut off the "squishy bits" and used the slicer dicer (very nice machine that does the tomatoes into even slices) on them anyways. NOTE: This did improve over time, somewhat. By the time I was shoved out the door, there were only 10-15 soggy tomatoes to a box of 40-50.

The worst was a shipment of tomatoes that came in that I immediately threw into the garbage, they were soggy and MOLDY in the box. When the manager on duty (not Brian) screamed and yelled at me about it (I was "wasting good produce"), I basically told him to go shove it up his ass in kinder words ("Good produce? did you even SEE those tomatoes? I wouldn't feed one to you even if it was the last food on earth. They were NASTY!").

-Employees at Campus subway are (or were, in the months of September to December 2003) verbally abused nearly daily by management staff. You put ONE foot wrong, I mean even an extra pickle out of place, and you get stomped. It's worse out back in food prep, which is why I said it was 10 times worse than most people see. You cut a cucumber too thick in the rotary slicer, you have to do it all again, with a supervisor breathing down your neck. Some of the managers, no names mentioned, were also racist to some degree.

-As for the suing case, the details I can share is that Brian effectively reduced my hours to zero while giving me the impression that "next week" I would be getting hours. This went on for two months before I finally said "enough," and formally resigned and brought a letter of demands against him, asking pretty much for lost wages (in the range of ~$1000 over 3.5 months at the rate I was working before constructive dismissal) and an apology. No response.

Filed a civil claim, and upon serving the papers to him, WITH A WITNESS PRESENT (name withheld for protection), he basically came around the counter, and physically assaulted me (punched my shoulder medium hard, then shoved me around while I was standing there in shock at his actions). I restrained and did not retaliate, which won favor in my case with the judge. He replied with a counter-claim which was absolutely baseless.

Long story short, fast forward a couple of months. Pre-trial meeting. First thing he does, IN FRONT OF A JUDGE AND JUDICIAL CLERK, is call me a lying asshole. All the judge could do was stare at him in amazement. I mean, for the sake of the green earth, you BEHAVE in front of a duly appointed Judge of the Law. After opening statements from both sides, the judge basically told Brian he had no case, and we settled on $100 for legal fees paid to me seeing as he had already spent over $2500 on his lawyer (whom, if I had his lawyer, I would fire right away....) and a promise to improve working conditions.

I know that this post will most likely get me in trouble with people that side with Brian, but I don't give a shit. I sued and won a small settlement. That's all I care about, honestly.

Also, in case you didn't know it, Brian also owns the Jugo Juice down the hall just in front of the ballroom. Conditions there, while better (at least they only have to deal with Brian's egomaniacal son as the manager), are far from paradise.

And so, I end my post :bigpimp: .3

you, SIR are a hero!! :cry: that SOB...now i can understand why people take the time to go to another Subway to get food even if they study at the U of C....i think i will Boycott also, they guy is a Genuine A-hole...everytime i buy from that subway he gives me the dirty eye...i once complained to management that he was putting too few veggies on my subs, i got free sub cards and being the idiot that i am used them at HIS location....i argued with the fgt for 20 mins before he gave me the sub...he questioned me on WHY i complained blah blah....STUDENT BOYCOTT...and yo man i dont think too many people would take the side of "brian" in this case :clap: :clap:

Vagabond142
09-22-2005, 10:18 AM
i'm no hero.... i'm just a guy that doesn't like to see others get ganked by a bad business

dufferson
09-22-2005, 10:33 AM
yea that guy is brutal. i've just wanted to choke him with that gold chain of his.

snowboard
09-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Why didn't you just fuck him over and screw up the business.
Seriously if someone yelled at me, at subway, in front of customers i'd fuckin flip out. that so uncalled for. and if i was a customer standing there i'd pull his ass over the sneeze gaurd and let the other customers that dont enjoy him get in on the action. :rolleyes:

But im un reasonable. most people in university are a bit smatter.

nambis
09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
:hijack:

but who cares, i hate that guy SO much.

One time i was in there and there was a woman trying to order a salad. Some kid was making the salad for her. She wanted bacon bits on it but they didn't have any, so she started complaining loudly to her friend and making quite a scene. she asks for bacon slices, so the kid puts 3 slices of cold, greasy bacon on the salad. Then the manager Brian sees it and yells at the kid, and the woman starts telling brian she wanted the bacon, so next thing both the woman and Brian are yelling at eachother and at the kid. Then the woman wanted something else on her salad, and brian wouldn't let her get it cause he said it was only for sandwiches. Then the woman starts complainng again and Brian yells at her and screams "you're not making things any easier" and some other crap to her. So then the woman just leaves without the salad and Brian yells something like "so after all that you're not even going to buy it?" and he was steaming mad and looked like he could kill someone.

anyhow, i can't beleive that any business owner would treat his customers that way. My parents are entrepenuers and have always taught me that the customer is ALWAYS right, and if they're unhappy, do WHATEVER it takes to make them happy because it's better to lose a bit of money one time than to lose a lifelong customer.

Brian obviously has no idea how to run a business and that's why he's 50 years old and stuck behind a counter at a subway, piling cheap vegetables onto crappy over processed bread. it must be quite demoralizing for him to look at his 'co-workers' who are all university students who in 10 years will be making more money and leading happier lives while he is still stuck behaind that counter.

I feel bad for his poor wife, who works the register sometimes. She is so pretty and kind and is a really great lady, and I can't beleive she ended up with that loser. funny, i bet when they were in high school he was the star quarterback and she the cheerleadre. now look at him lol.

i wish someone would print out all of these complaints about that place and deliver them to him, i F*cking hate that guy seriously, and won't go back in that place.

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

AcuraTl
09-22-2005, 02:29 PM
:werd: i was suprised i thought she would be stingy like him, but shes not..whenever i order a meal or something, she always fill the coke up to the BRIM she sometimes takes a while to do it...yea but that Brian guy's a fuck...str8 up, +1 for beyond/style beating..

Vagabond142
09-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Nambis... I'm gonna make you even more pissed off, and I know you aren't going to like this, but Brian makes about a $100,000/yr off of owning that Subway. It's the third busiest in Canada, he has already paid off the franchise fee, and makes serious dough off the place. How do you think he was able to afford the Jugo Juice franchise fee without much trouble at all? :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Ah well, we all need to become millionaires, buy the place out, and put a Mr Sub in there anyways. Canadian, bitcheeees :D

:hijack: :hijack: :hijack:

Rav4Guy
09-22-2005, 03:19 PM
LOL. Franchise fee isn't going to empty out his pockets. Its called.. ROYALTY. royalty is an ongoing per-month % amount that is based on sales. Subway has one of the highest royalty% amoung fast food businesses and there is no way that a big name like subway would lose money on a university campus. Plus he's owned that place for a long.. long time.

Total investment: $70K-220K
Franchise fee: $12.5K
Ongoing royalty fee: 8%

approximate numbers.

nambis
09-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Nambis... I'm gonna make you even more pissed off, and I know you aren't going to like this, but Brian makes about a $100,000/yr off of owning that Subway. It's the third busiest in Canada, he has already paid off the franchise fee, and makes serious dough off the place. How do you think he was able to afford the Jugo Juice franchise fee without much trouble at all? :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Ah well, we all need to become millionaires, buy the place out, and put a Mr Sub in there anyways. Canadian, bitcheeees :D

:hijack: :hijack: :hijack:

Wow, only $100000/year?

That really isn't that much money - I would think that place would bring in much more than that. If that's all he makes there's no way he can be the third busiest Subway in Canada...

But no mattter how much money he makes, it's not worth waking up each morning knowing that you get to spend all day wearing a subway uniform, working behind a counter with (and for) a bunch of kids who hate you.

nambis
09-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
LOL. Franchise fee isn't going to empty out his pockets. Its called.. ROYALTY. royalty is an ongoing per-month % amount that is based on sales. Subway has one of the highest royalty% amoung fast food businesses and there is no way that a big name like subway would lose money on a university campus. Plus he's owned that place for a long.. long time.

that subway has only been there for 2 years at the very most...

AcuraTl
09-22-2005, 03:22 PM
^^^ :werd: im quite sure he is the MOST hated store manager i have ever seen haha

Weapon_R
09-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by nambis

Wow, only $100000/year?

100k after paying all of your expenses/fees/etc for a single franchise is a very good profit.

nambis
09-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Oh, one more thing:

I think it's great how he had to offer a daily special sandwich now to compete with chartwells... I saw him upstairs in Mac Hall a couple of weeks ago, with a little notepad looking angrily at all of the other food prices and writing them down in his little book. Now he's got the $2.99 sub special each day.

This is just after he increased the price of the veggie delight (on the register but not on the board) and was knowingly overcharging people for about a month.

jerk

Rav4Guy
09-22-2005, 03:27 PM
how do you know he makes 100k profit a year?
where is the information saying its the third busiest in canada?.... i highly doubt it is..

nambis
09-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

100k after paying all of your expenses/fees/etc for a single franchise is a very good profit.

hrm, i would have to respectfully disagree with you on this one WeaponR :) :) :)

I've been working in small businesses and also franchises my entire life (grew up in them, since I was a very small kid), and this figure is really low

AcuraTl
09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by nambis
Oh, one more thing:

I think it's great how he had to offer a daily special sandwich now to compete with chartwells... I saw him upstairs in Mac Hall a couple of weeks ago, with a little notepad looking angrily at all of the other food prices and writing them down in his little book. Now he's got the $2.99 sub special each day.

This is just after he increased the price of the veggie delight (on the register but not on the board) and was knowingly overcharging people for about a month.

jerk

its kinda funny, you save like 50 cents buying the special, than if you would have gotten it regular lmfao!!