PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed remote starters

chrisgushue
02-08-2003, 11:44 PM
What companies make 5 speed remote starter alarms, is compustar the only one? becaus eif it is ive heard they screw up majorily on the newer models any recomendations, also how good are alpine alarms?

CanadaCivicSIR
02-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Most of all the remote starter companies, make starter for five speed.

Some are just illegal to put in!!!!!(Auto trans starter in a 5spd)

I had a Viper in my 5 spd, wanted it for the alarm features, just don't tell anyone you have an auto starter and never park the car in gear, get use to using the ebrake alot.

95acc
02-09-2003, 12:05 PM
What the hell are you talking about?
Only a few companies make manual starters and DEI(Viper) is or ever has been one of them, If you have one in your manual transmission car your not so bright eh? That has lawsuit written all over it, trust me i has seen more tan one person run down by a 5-speed with an auto starter that was NEVER parked in gear!
As long as you buy a good manual transmission starter than you will have no problems. There are a few companies that build them i suggest Autostart and Compustar these are the most fool froof starters for 5 speeds. And as for being illeagal to install? where does that come from?

Do me and everyone else on the road and don't be so cheap and go get a REAL manual starter i really do not feel like getting run over buy somebody that ALWAYS parks in neutral.....S#*%...!

Weapon_R
02-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Most manual starters have a specific process that is needed to get it into "ready mode". This usually involves being in neutral, so it's much safer. Manual starters are slightly more expensive, but sure as hell beats having your car jump a few feet ahead in a busy parking lot because you forgot to put it in neutral

CanadaCivicSIR
02-09-2003, 08:23 PM
I never told him to put an automatic transmission starter in his car, I just stated that I had one in mine. I had many safety features for it, like the ebrake had to be on and no one could open the car door after I turned the ignition off.

It was just like setting up a manual transmission starter, just with out having to do the setup. It worked well and there was no possible way the car would start if it was in gear.

It is illegal to put a auto trans starter in a 5 spd.

And if you have a starter you always park in neutral!!!
Otherwise it won't work!!!

TomTom
02-10-2003, 01:17 AM
they make them for them, there not auto starters that were modified,
you press the button, lights blink, leave in N, put ebrake on turn off the car

you press the start button and it starts with the car in N and the ebrake on.
but i dont think the auto would be good to do at all.

95acc
02-10-2003, 09:31 AM
you made it work sounds safe to me! with all of your features you have the car will still start when it is in gear thjat is the problem.

tctdmx
02-12-2003, 12:14 PM
Well, the problem with compustar is that it will start your car even if its in Gears, even if it can be bypassed, but due to legal issues non of the companies would do them installs for you.

If you want the ones with 2-Way confirmation with LED remotes, the chances of gettin dem is like zip, none. However, companies like Autostart ( polarstart) they do make manual alarm/start combos. and its designed for 5 / 6 speed cars.
however, its not LED remote nor FM 2-way confirmation...

Blue Devil 2
02-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by tctdmx
Well, the problem with compustar is that it will start your car even if its in Gears, even if it can be bypassed, but due to legal issues non of the companies would do them installs for you.

If you want the ones with 2-Way confirmation with LED remotes, the chances of gettin dem is like zip, none. However, companies like Autostart ( polarstart) they do make manual alarm/start combos. and its designed for 5 / 6 speed cars.
however, its not LED remote nor FM 2-way confirmation...

are you sure about that? I have a an alarm/starter with fm/led remote for my 5spd..

That.Guy.S30
02-12-2003, 12:41 PM
yea dmx is right. a&b stopped installing the compustar becuz of a couple of incidents where the car was started and started rolling towards other cars.. hah

Ajay
02-13-2003, 02:12 AM
Its just finding an installer that will install a unit not designed for a manual into your manual.

A friend of mine used to work at Northland Futureshop and one of the installers there drive's a standard Blazer. He installed the new Viper 790 in his Blazer himself.

Mckenzie
02-28-2003, 09:56 AM
I have the compustar in my 6 speed legend and I can tell you there is no way for it to start in gear. To arm the car to remote start, you need to stop the car, put the ebrake on, and turn the key off and take it out. When you do this, the car is still running, and you have 2 minutes to get all the shit you need out of the car before it shuts down, and arms the securiy system, and engages the remote start feature. Or you just close the drivers side door and it will arm everything as well.

But the reason I say It cannot start in gear is this. Lets say you forget something in the car after you have armed it, and you unlock the door to go get it. This IMMEDIATLY kills the remote start function because for all it knows, you have just put the car in gear. Even just accidently pressing the unlock button will disable the system..... and obviously you cannot leave it in gear either because when you get out of the car it is still running and it would stall out if it was left in gear.

I have never had a problem with my compustar system. Also, AB Sound does still sell them..... they are just on a newer model now.

missblondie
03-04-2003, 12:44 AM
there are actually 2way remote starters made by astro and auto start for manual transmissions and both have very decent range on them.. they are also far less expensive than compustars... Although, my compustar works great, so no complaints from me!