PDA

View Full Version : Where to find iPod Nano *split*

AznDragon2004
09-18-2005, 05:52 PM
MyMacDealer and westworld has ipod nanos

Tux10
09-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Actually I contacted mymacdealer and westworld and they didnt have any 4GB in stock as of Friday.

Compusmart is getting theirs in on the 20th and Futureshop will be selling theirs on the 21st.

its only a couple of days, just wait it out :P

gongSHOW
09-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Future NE had some but sold out in 2 hours, so try to jump on them right when they come

slick2404
09-19-2005, 06:34 PM
FS Coventry hills, on shelfs friday!

slick2404
09-19-2005, 06:35 PM
*shelves* spell check:banghead:

nit78
09-20-2005, 01:20 PM
The compu smart store in Market Mall has about 20 of these available right now, I bought mine 2 days ago.

Jinn_SiR
09-20-2005, 01:55 PM
how much are they n ways?

Tux10
09-20-2005, 06:18 PM
$249.99 for 2GB and $299.99 for 4GB this is probably standard around town as I have looked around looking for one last week. Got one from Compusmart Deerfoor Meadows a couple of minutes ago, it looks sweet!!

Rav4Guy
09-20-2005, 06:25 PM
or.. be like us cooler people and get it from apple.ca and have it PERSONALIZED for FREE!!!

carguy
09-20-2005, 06:28 PM
i already own an IPOD but the nano is just too sexy to pass up.
250~~~ thats ipod mini territory!!

so yea jus curious, was watching one of those commercials.
can the 2gb one view photos too???

Rav4Guy
09-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by carguy
i already own an IPOD but the nano is just too sexy to pass up.
250~~~ thats ipod mini territory!!

so yea jus curious, was watching one of those commercials.
can the 2gb one view photos too???

yes. the 2gb can view photos.

ipod mini = aged n' decent
ipod nano = hot n' sexy

kaput
09-20-2005, 07:36 PM

saiyajin
09-20-2005, 09:04 PM
for the black one for you guys that own it ...is the front black face an invitation for fingerprints cuz it looks like its those glossy material that once you touch it its over!

gongSHOW
09-20-2005, 09:18 PM
if any of you are looking for the 2GB they have a ton of 2GBs at Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows only white though...

eblend
09-20-2005, 09:48 PM
compusmart has had the nanos in for a long time now, i know there is 28 black 4 gigs left at the store at deerfoot meadows since ysturday morning, maybe a different story now

AznDragon2004
09-20-2005, 11:15 PM
This has nothing to do with the topic but since there are so many people with nano's already, what are you guys using to protect your nano from scratches till cases come out?

Rav4Guy
09-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
for the black one for you guys that own it ...is the front black face an invitation for fingerprints cuz it looks like its those glossy material that once you touch it its over!

The black isn't an invitation.. its the aluminum finish on the back. That's an invitation for scratches and fingerprints.

Protection in the meantime? saran wrap? LOL. maybe not. I'll be keeping it in an oakley soft cloth bag.

YCB
09-20-2005, 11:18 PM
just got mine in today.. from apple.. only took like 3 days.. for $$312.xx... its pretty sweet...

Xtrema
09-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

Be that as it may, I definitely goes better with black car interiors.

Never like the Ipod before but Nano is slowly changing my mind. But down side is the battery in such small unit is probably not replacable.

BTW, Apple website and educational discount should knock a few $$ off.

Rav4Guy
09-20-2005, 11:29 PM
The cost to replace batteries from Apple is $59USD.

Xtrema
09-20-2005, 11:41 PM
While the $250 2G Nano is quite hot, the same $250 can get you a 10GB Toshiba player right now @ BestBuy

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10062068&catid=22578&logon=&langid=EN#

Yeah, it's no Ipod but a bigger color screen + 8 more gigs may be a better value for some looking for a DAP.

camaro
09-21-2005, 08:54 AM
iPod is just better. Every other mp3 player just screams cheap or "great value". Its like buying PC cola instead of Coka Cola.

eblend
09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by camaro
iPod is just better. Every other mp3 player just screams cheap or "great value". Its like buying PC cola instead of Coka Cola.

i am amazed at how many people say ipod is better when we get like 10-20 a day back cuz they are broken or just don't work out of the box. Ohh well there is like a billion ipod owners out there, so i guess when half of em are defective it still makes it a big chunk of the world that lives and breathes ipod

Chester
09-21-2005, 10:05 AM
I bought one for my sister from the apple site last week, it was 225 with student discount and free engraving

Rav4Guy
09-21-2005, 10:32 AM
^ that was the 2gb one. 4gb=279

Actually.. if you do some research... ipod has the best mix of functionality/sound quality out of all the mp3 players. The only setback is that it's expensive.

403 Forbidden
09-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by eblend

i am amazed at how many people say ipod is better when we get like 10-20 a day back cuz they are broken or just don't work out of the box. Ohh well there is like a billion ipod owners out there, so i guess when half of em are defective it still makes it a big chunk of the world that lives and breathes ipod

Riiiight.

eblend
09-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 403 Forbidden

Riiiight.

i work in retail so yes i am right as I am the guy who gets to test the damn things and send em out for replacements, i wouldn't post shit if i didn't know. I am an ipod owner myself, got a mini and mine works fine, but if you knew how many are defective and get returned you might reconsider. What i recommend for any ipod owner is to buy an extended warranty, chances are good your gonna need to use it

403 Forbidden
09-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Uh Huh.

cityhunter2501
09-21-2005, 11:44 AM
lol and here I am with my 3years old Ipod 1st gen :cry:

eblend
09-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Uh Huh.

grow up
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/iProduct.gif

403 Forbidden
09-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Sounds good retail boy. By the way, love the anti apple zealotry.

http://www.greensheet.com/PriorIssues-/970102-/SALESGUY.GIF

CivicDXR
09-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I bought a black 4GB today at CompuSmart in Deerfoot Meadows. They had a whole bunch of every one in stock...

but that was this morning...

403 Forbidden
09-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Will retailers match pricing for apple.ca student discounts?

hash
09-21-2005, 04:07 PM
if you go to the university microstore and show your student id, yes.

403 Forbidden
09-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks.

kaput
09-21-2005, 06:45 PM

eblend
09-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Sounds good retail boy. By the way, love the anti apple zealotry.

http://www.greensheet.com/PriorIssues-/970102-/SALESGUY.GIF

futher proves that this board is full of highschool kids

and just for your info, i don't work sales

AznDragon2004
09-21-2005, 09:10 PM
eblend do u know when they'll be cases for the ipod nanos?

Rav4Guy
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by AznDragon2004
eblend do u know when they'll be cases for the ipod nanos?

4-6 weeks for the skins.

Originally posted by kaput Damnit I ordered online because I thought I would get it sooner and I even paid for express shipping and its taking forever to get here! 2 day shipping my ass, its been 3 already! Its been around the world... China to Alaska to Illinois and now Missisomething Ontario... I want my $13 back.

was it personalized? I had mine personalized and did the express shipping. Took 5 days.. otherwise.. it would've taken up to 12 days with the personalization. They personalize it right at the factory.

403 Forbidden
09-21-2005, 09:16 PM

futher proves that this board is full of highschool kids

and just for your info, i don't work sales

You're the dumb twat posting stupid pictures. So yes it does prove it. So you're not in sales? Even better, shipping and receiving. Right on.

AcuraTl
09-21-2005, 10:27 PM
my brothers mini and my color took about 9 days with personalization...regular shipping

Sharpie
09-21-2005, 10:34 PM

You're the dumb twat posting stupid pictures. So yes it does prove it. So you're not in sales? Even better, shipping and receiving. Right on.
Buddy shut up, what do you do flip burgers or serve fries? Jesus christ!

danlowteg
09-21-2005, 10:51 PM

this is a ture. the diffy is i do work retail and 3 out of 5 ipods i sell come back:thumbsdow hope the nano will be better quality. There is just such a high demand they cant make tons of quality parts when being built. so i dunno but other then that they look nanorific:thumbsup:

403 Forbidden
09-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Here's my take - I've owned a 1G, 2G, 3G, and a 4G B&W. All of them worked flawlessly and the only reason I upgraded was for increased capacity.

I find those numbers to be extremely high. 3 out of 5 is a 60% failure rate. I'm sure if it was in fact that bad there would be a way bigger stink about it.

Bottom line is that for me it is the best solution for my needs. The size and the UI are perfect.

Oh and Sharpie - taste the salty dog buddy.

gpomp
09-22-2005, 12:06 AM
3 business days for my nano (regular shipping). about the same as my other ones except the one that i got personalized. the nano's UI is MUCH better than the mini. :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
09-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Jesus..3 days..Im on day 6.....nothing yet

FiveFreshFish
09-22-2005, 12:19 AM
How does the nano UI compare with the UI of the 60 GB ipod photo?

eblend
09-22-2005, 08:47 PM
nano should do better then the mini and the normal ipod simply because it doesn't have any moving parts, but it is still small and can be fragile, if you take care of it i am sure it will last a long time

Davetronz
09-22-2005, 09:50 PM

Ok man, have you read what you are writing? Sit back and actually think before posting...

My technicians and service co-ordinators see on average 15 defective Ipods (Full Size, Mini, Nano, Shuffle) a day between all our locations in town. Eblend is not speaking out of his ass... But go ahead and think what you want, see if anyone pays attention to the n00b. :thumbsup:

403 Forbidden
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks tips. Did you want a turn on the tubesteak ventilator as well?

Davetronz
09-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks tips. Did you want a turn on the tubesteak ventilator as well?
Oh sweet, now I am gay... n00bs get more and more creative every day! What's next, mom jokes? Ooooh I know, lets make fun of handicapped people! Wait we haven't pulled the racism card yet either... All these possibilites and so little posting time!

403 Forbidden
09-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Do you even own an iPod? I've owned several and never once had a problem with any of them. Perhaps the ones being returned are more a function of people not knowing how to operate them properly than being defective.

I never said you were gay. You did. Don't feel bad though at least in this day and age fellows like you can take solace in the fact that you can get married and not be condemned to live a life of sin.

kaput
09-23-2005, 06:16 PM

eblend
09-24-2005, 06:57 PM
okay today we recieved our first batch of diffective nano's back. Their numbers are small still but i am sure they will grow with time. Here are a few problems that we encountered that we were not able to resolve

1. Black 4 gig nano came with the following problems.
Does not mount to a mac or a pc, screen simly displays a web address for support site from apple. Reset doesn't solve the problem and can't hook it up to the pc cuz it doesn't detect. Defective and will be RMAed

2.Black 4 gig nano that does not detect that its plugged in in a PC, MAC or an AC adapter. Basically something seems screwed with the inner connector as we have tried alternate cables.

3. Not really that big of a problem but a cable that seems to have been cought in something was packaged in a brand new nano that we opened up for display. Cable was 3/4 of a way sevared and non functional.

and another little thing i found but didn't put much thought or research into so far (not sure if this is a known problem with ipods in general or what) but the Nano was not recognized at all by an eMac. Perhaps it has something to do with the version of the software on the emac as I have no idea what it was runnign (like i said didn't look into it yet) but the nano worked perfectly in all the powerbooks and ibooks but the emac it didn't detect at all, the screen didn't even change to the "DO NOT DISCONNECT" and there was no response from the emac at all so not sure whats up with that.

Well those are just some of the things I have encountered today, if anyone cares i can post more as they come along

Gurpy
09-25-2005, 09:15 PM
I just ordered mine today. Opted for the personalization so i'm expecting it to take a good 2 or 3 weeks.

For anyone who ordered off apple - Did you get two e-mails basically right away, or just one? The first one was just the confirmation, then the second one I got was saying it was being processed. I'm wondering if that means they're already doing the personalization and shipping, or if its just a automated thing?

Xtrema
09-26-2005, 07:58 AM
http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-nano-screen-complaints-abound/

Expect more trouble with Nano to come.

Rav4Guy
09-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Gurpy
I just ordered mine today. Opted for the personalization so i'm expecting it to take a good 2 or 3 weeks.

For anyone who ordered off apple - Did you get two e-mails basically right away, or just one? The first one was just the confirmation, then the second one I got was saying it was being processed. I'm wondering if that means they're already doing the personalization and shipping, or if its just a automated thing?

its all automated. They will send you an email when the nano gets shipped.. registered...

Redlyne_mr2
09-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Dammit day 11 still nothing.

slick2404
09-27-2005, 07:07 PM
I got mine about 4 days after i ordered, including the weekend, and have had it about a week and a half ago now, amazing machine I must say, but one thing that pissed me off was u can set music to play as your alarm tuen instead of the the regular BEEP. i pop it into a ipod speaker system and it fits and sounds great, but the alarm thing is a total bummer.....no tech problems yet! *knock on wood*

eblend
09-27-2005, 07:17 PM
yeppers so far a total of 4 defective ipod nanos at our store, and every day ppl come back with more, surpricingly many of them returning them without opening em too...i guess they realize it just won't fit their needs or they heard about their problems that they don't want to take a chance

Gurpy
09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
^^ When you look at the amount being sold though you have to admit that it's not that bad. Defective products come from any company.

Davetronz
09-27-2005, 07:25 PM
yeppers so far a total of 4 defective ipod nanos at our store, and every day ppl come back with more, surpricingly many of them returning them without opening em too...i guess they realize it just won't fit their needs or they heard about their problems that they don't want to take a chance
I diagnosed 3 defective nano at mine today eblend... 4 minis and 1 regular 20GB color... I should change my job title to IPOD BITCH.
These are units that will not update, will not restore and will not reset.... FUBAR'D

brad_mor
09-27-2005, 07:40 PM
hey eblend the only reason you think you get so many ipods back defective is the fact that they outsell the other stuff like 100 to 1.

im a tech at a retail store and the ipods definately got the lowest ratio of units returned to units sold.

so u might (and probably do) see more ipods come back than anything else but thats just because they sell soooooo much better.

403 Forbidden
09-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Or people are retarded and don't know how to operate them properly - including some of the so-called "techs" - no offense intended to brad_mor.

Davetronz
09-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by brad_mor
hey eblend the only reason you think you get so many ipods back defective is the fact that they outsell the other stuff like 100 to 1.

im a tech at a retail store and the ipods definately got the lowest ratio of units returned to units sold.

so u might (and probably do) see more ipods come back than anything else but thats just because they sell soooooo much better.
I have done some calculations and we have special reports for this purpose... Yes, Ipods have almost eliminated all sales for items by companies such as creative or sony. If you take an average value of products bought that are manufactured by Apple and products manufactured by Sony or Creative the defect PERCENTAGES are much lower for Creative and Sony.
Now don't get me wrong, I hardly EVER see defective Apple Ibooks, Powerbooks, Imacs or Emacs. It seems to be the MP3 players that are causing an issue.
And I am not out to say that ALL OF THEM ARE BAD DON'T BUY APPLE IPODS but they do seem to have an unrealistically high defective rate. Maybe the manufacturer ships us bad batches who knows... I just end up seeing A LOT of these on a daily basis. It has definately led me to not want to purchase one myself or recommend one to any of my friends.
Now Apple does have a very good manufacturer warranty which is prompt, friendly and efficient. So the customer can feel assured that apple will be able to look after them in the event of failure after the XX day store warranty.

I understand what you are saying, I have managed in this industry for quite a few years now and I have seen many "trends" of "defective" products.

Or people are retarded and don't know how to operate them properly - including some of the so-called "techs" - no offense intended to brad_mor.

We like to call this a problem in between the chair and the keyboard... And I agree with you 403, there are too many "so called technicians" out there. Too many people who try to convince me they are B+ certified, or that their friend is A-C certified. Or a "Microsoft Technician" or an "IT Professional".
My employees and myself test all of these units quite thoroughly either on the spot or the same day. We do find a few that just need restores, updates or were plainly being used incorrectly that so-called technicians claim are defective.

403 Forbidden
09-27-2005, 10:33 PM
PEBCAK. I hear you loud and clear on that one.

calgary350z
09-29-2005, 10:21 PM
403 what is your deal with cutting down someone's profession. What is your problem with someone working retail?

403 Forbidden
09-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Fuck you. That's what.

brad_mor
09-29-2005, 11:45 PM
wow... i think he finally ran out of shit to say....

oh and for your information 403, there are people out there who know more about this shit than you, particularly actual certified technicians, like myself, so just shut up

all you're doing is talking out of your ass, and in light of what you have said you truly dont know shit about what you're talking about other than your own personal experience. theres more to the world than just you so get over yourself and please just shut the fuck up.

403 Forbidden
09-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Settle down ladies.

I truly don't know shit? Is that your "professional" opinion as an "Actual Certified Technician" So what are you "actually certified" to do?

http://www.vacuumtube.com/marcswartz_copy.JPG

brad_mor
09-30-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm actually an internationally accredited, certified technician. that means im certified to diagnose and repair computers, software and peripherals. I'd say its alot more relevant than all the multimeters and gauges in that picture.

im not saying (or implying) that you are an idiot... all im saying is there are people more knowledgeable than you who have alot more than simply personal experience to base what they are saying off of.

but i am saying you are a real stuck up asshole who could really stand to grow up a bit, seeing how you act like some 13 year old punk with a big mouth and no practical knowledge of how things actually work.

eblend
09-30-2005, 09:20 AM

but i am saying you are a real stuck up asshole who could really stand to grow up a bit, seeing how you act like some 13 year old punk with a big mouth and no practical knowledge of how things actually work.

Reason he acts like he is 13 is because good chance is that he is 13. Older people tend to have more common sense and aren't very proud of their stupidity like this guy is.
Way to go 403

1. e-thug

Electronic thug. A pale, pimple faced, skinny white kid who would most likely burn up if he came into contact with natural sunlight. Spends all of his time threatening people over the internet to compensate for his lack of a life and hatred of humanity for not accepting him.

2. e-thug

An internet thug. They usually sound very tough and scary. Does not show people who they are in public. Probably got picked on in school, comes online to higher their self-esteem. Talks a-lot of non-sense around the area of insulting your mommy to penis size. Stays behind the monitor so nothing can hurt them.

There there 403 one day you will too grow up

calgary350z
09-30-2005, 06:24 PM
he is probably upset because he pumps gas and he is 35 not 13 and has wasted his youth

Davetronz
09-30-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm actually an internationally accredited, certified technician. that means im certified to diagnose and repair computers, software and peripherals. I'd say its alot more relevant than all the multimeters and gauges in that picture.
:O Me too!
403 if you dont mind us asking, what do you do for a living?

403 Forbidden
09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm 35, not 13, and I pump gas for a living. ;)

calgary350z
10-01-2005, 04:50 PM
well at least you have a sense of humour 403 with your last post. I was beginning to think you had nothing intelligent to post back when someone asks you a legit question. I still do not think you should cut someone's profession down and then when questioned you tell them to fuck off. There is enough of those people to run in to daily that are arrogant ass's to fill my day.