PDA

View Full Version : Winter Time Blues

espiritus
09-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Hey kids,

Am I crazy to attempt to drive a stock MR2 Gen II Turbo in the winter? :eek:

I've been hestitating on the fact as I've just recently purchased the beaut, but in all honesty, I never see the things around come winter time.

Some people have told me a good set of winter tires will do, but then again...

Anyone have any experiences they'd care to share?

Thanks!

*Wincing till the Spring*

thinmyster
09-21-2005, 12:56 AM
yeah mine is already on stands... i drove my N/a the first winter i got it and it handled very well no concerns here.. but yeah i had a good set of winter tires... pm me if you looking for some btw.. i got them with the car but i dont think ill ever use them again
-Jon

Redlyne_mr2
09-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Personally driving an mr2 in the winter is the worst thing you can do to the car. It is so low even in stock form that youre succeptable to tons of rock chips and windshield cracks. These windshields arent cheap either. Constant opening and closing of the doors in the cold is also very hard on the seals. It is also an old toyota which means that if you drive it in the winter you will start to get rust. Save yourself the heart ache and save your mr2...buy a beater.

DonJuan
09-21-2005, 02:01 PM
almost any car will perform well in winter esp the winters we have with the chinooks and once there isn't like 10 feet of snow. And I'm also not worried about crashing into a ditch since I drive according to the weather. The reason why my and probably most other nice cars go into hiding from winter is the morons that don't know how to drive. This way they cant slide into my car while it's in the garage. Or can they???

espiritus
09-22-2005, 12:21 AM
So the current score is 2-1 :nut:

Any more people with experience in this matter?

Thanks for the feedback btw fellas.

Redlyne_mr2
09-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by espiritus
So the current score is 2-1 :nut:

Any more people with experience in this matter?

Thanks for the feedback btw fellas.
But DonJuan doesnt own an mr2 lol sooo 2-0...keep in mind all that slush, crud and snow will kill your carpets and lead to rotting floor boards. I do know of one guy who drives a red mr2 turbo year round. Its red with a toms kit...the poor thing is sooo beat...:(

bmeier
09-23-2005, 12:35 PM
I have driven an mr2 in winter before, let me tell you it is actually a decent winter car and fun to drive/drift around corners.
That being said the car was already completely rusted out and beat to crap. THe year i drove in winter i coincidentally also got a broken windshield, someone rear ended me and i got a traffic ticket for doing donuts lol....

Anyways it is much wiser to buy a cheap winter car that you dont care about. Your 2 will rust away so fast if you winter drive it...

jvillain
09-23-2005, 09:31 PM
I have to agree that it is a pretty good winter car. You get the hole shot on almost every one with the engine over the rear. Having said that though don't winter drive your 2 if you can possibly avoid it.

pulse_crx
09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
good to know. I was thinking about driving mine, but I think ill stick to my $200 beater.

Redlyne_mr2
09-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Were going to have a winter beater meet...no mr2s alllowed. :D

stealth
09-24-2005, 09:12 PM
dont do it.

last year i even caught the bus to preserve my mr2!!!!!

buy a beater.

bmeier
09-25-2005, 02:36 AM
When you can buy a running car for $1000 or less there is no point even considering driving your mr2 if it has no rust.

I was actualy thinking of picking up another rusty 85 just to winter drive and since it is already fubar'd with rust it wouldnt be a bad little car to beat around in.

espiritus
09-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Thank you all for the feedback!

I'll have to start looking for a trash car to do donuts in then:)

James
09-25-2005, 05:33 PM
I drove my old '86 MR2 in the winter, and with Blizzaks it was an awesome winter car, but at the same time i ended up beating the hell out of it in the process. After winter, it had started to rust ( was mint before), interior was alot worse shape etc..As fun as it was i do regret it. Im gonna park my 2 pretty soon, time to bring out the winter beater.

DonJuan
09-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

But DonJuan doesnt own an mr2 lol sooo 2-0...
Whoa whoa, I'm all for winter beaters, I said not to drive ANY nice cars in winter. I don't drive my 240 in winter, and anyone who has a nice mr2 (or nice car period) shouldn't either. I'm all for a winter beater meet. My winter beater will be out soon and is worse that everyone elses!... I know you want to know what it is... but i'm not tellin' If you saw me last year thou you know what it is....

big A
09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I drive my 1985 mr2 in the winter.It however is not a nice performance machine like your guys.Just to let you know it is physicly possible to drive on winter roads.I don't bottom out on anything and always good traction with the engine in the mid.Heat is almost non existant(probably because they were not meant to be driven in the winter).If it was nice I would get a beater for the winter.I don't mean to jack your thread but I would just like to mention it is for sale.

Zenshi
09-27-2005, 03:33 PM
I had no choice but to drive my MR2 s/c last winter... it sucked...
Front fender completely rusted out on the bottom side (passenger side), had to get a cheap fix so I got new metal welded in for now. The car had very minimal rust when I first got it... the Cancer spread faster then AIDS spreading from unprotected random sex... > <

If you value your MR2, Avoid driving it in winter!!! >=|

Z24_3.1.
11-13-2005, 03:52 AM
dont do it man leave that thing a good car man go buy a POS

IMO put it away till spring :D

theken
11-13-2005, 05:31 AM
haha i stayed in okotoks last weekend when the snow fell, i seriously figured i drove good to the road conditions in my 300, i had to do MAXIMUM 40 the entire way home otherwise i couldnt even drive straight, no winter tires but i have a beater and am just waiting on some repairs, i wouldnt drive it in the snow if i had a choice, but no choice was available. if u have a nice car why risk it, drive a pos that doesnt really matter

thinmyster
11-13-2005, 02:38 PM
I still have winter tires available to anyone that wants to attemp this.. or anyone who just wants extra tires... hit me up with a pm..

so when and where is this winter meet?

Aznshadow85
11-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Don't drive your 2 in the winter. First of all, if you're new, the RWD will get you. Secondly, you don't want to damage your body. Just buy a beater and we'll all see each other in the spring. =P