PDA

View Full Version : Fun-to-drive cars under $25,000 and over 30 mpg

heavyD
09-22-2005, 09:33 AM
For all you cheapos that want performance on a budget. It's short but fairly accurate.

http://www.autosite.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/637

BTW: I don't believe the SRT-4 comes even close to its rated gas mileage numbers. I'm only getting about 300 km's a full tank of premium in the city.

AJL
09-22-2005, 10:18 AM
I totally agree with first place. I would love to own that car.

Impreza
09-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Mazda 3 more fun than a RSX-S ? :confused:

QuasarCav
09-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Impreza

:werd:

Having driven a 5spd 3 I found it to be more sedate than any of the other cars on the list except for maybe the focus.

I think the SRT wins for speed but the MINI wins for handling.

heavyD
09-22-2005, 11:06 AM

Mazda 3 = Protege
RSX-S = Civic

It's not like either car is a sports car as they ar both built on similar economy car platforms and if there is one thing Mazda does good it is make a sporty handling car.

rc2002
09-22-2005, 11:15 AM
I've driven both, and I think that's about right. The Mazda 3 does seem to be a bit more agile even if not as quick as an RSX-S.

rc2002
09-22-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm surprised the Miata didn't make the cut.

lastprodigy
09-22-2005, 11:17 AM
i guess your not a cheapo since you drive a neon?:nut: lol maybe you wanan reword that ...

and according to your argument, the srt-4 is not a sporty car at all either since, its base is an econobox neon....

heavyD
09-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
i guess your not a cheapo since you drive a neon?:nut: lol maybe you wanan reword that ...

and according to your argument, the srt-4 is not a sporty car at all either since, its base is an econobox neon....

Why would I re-word anything? When did I say in this thread anything about the SRT-4 except it's poor gas mileage or that I'm not a cheapo? Please take an hour after you inhale all that glue before you start to type.:thumbsup:

lastprodigy
09-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Why would I re-word anything? When did I say in this thread anything about the SRT-4 except it's poor gas mileage or that I'm not a cheapo? Please take an hour after you inhale all that glue before you start to type.:thumbsup:

yea ok....haha im not the one comparing an srt4 to an nsx...regardless of how fast it is

Xtrema
09-22-2005, 12:18 PM
It's not really cheapo since that's $25K US.

Chandler_Racing
09-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Agreed the RSX-S is on its last legs, but its still got a big edge on the 3 in my opinion.

heavyD
09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
yea ok....haha im not the one comparing an srt4 to an nsx...regardless of how fast it is

Different thread.....Idiot. And in that thread I said the SRT-4 was faster than anything with an "H" or "A" badge and of course the Honda boys had to come back and say "Not faster than an NSX type R". I never brought the NSX up nor did I "compare" the SRT-4 to it. Let's please leave that alone now as it is a different thread. Thanks junior.:thumbsup:

ACX
09-22-2005, 03:21 PM
2 things always impacted my mileage in the SRT4:

Ethanol based fuel
My right foot

the car is actually capable of decent mileage, I wasn't though.

:rofl:

Weapon_R
09-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Is it even possible to get a Mini S here for anywhere under 40?

That list is dead on, IMO.

Xtrema
09-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Is it even possible to get a Mini S here for anywhere under 40?

That list is dead on, IMO.

A barebone Mini-S is only $30K + dest + tax. But options will easily take it to $40K.

The Mini-S with factory blower (200HP) probably starts @ $40K.

90Tegra
09-22-2005, 03:44 PM
i hate the minis, out of those bunch i'd take the gts easily?

Weapon_R
09-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

A barebone Mini-S is only $30K + dest + tax. But options will easily take it to $40K.

The Mini-S with factory blower (200HP) probably starts @ $40K.

Okay, I get it. I was under the impression that all Mini-S were blown and the non-'S' models were the cheaper and more affordable units.

chris
09-22-2005, 03:55 PM
isn't the red line based on the same platform as the cobalt?

heavyD
09-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by chris
isn't the red line based on the same platform as the cobalt?

Yes. They share the same platform and drivetrain. Interior/exterior, suspension tuning, wheels/tires, etc are different. Most of the reviews about the ion say the interior is horrible while the Cobalts is nicer.

C4S
09-22-2005, 05:21 PM
It is $25K US! a $25K US car, will be at least $33K here!

like the celica GTS $22K US .. but $33K here ... :dunno:

And when was it? I saw that before .. for 03/04 model, right?

That.Guy.S30
09-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Okay, I get it. I was under the impression that all Mini-S were blown and the non-'S' models were the cheaper and more affordable units.

you are right. the stock mini s is supercharged to get 168ish hp. the john mini works kit pushes it to 200ish hp. but it costs like 5 g's

Aleks
09-22-2005, 05:39 PM

All Mini Cooper S car DO HAVE a supercharger. What he is reffering to is the dealer installed upgrade that adds another 40 hp on top of that, which bumps the power from 170 to 210ish or so...

Edit: LOL few seconds too slow :)

4doorj
09-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I'm surprised the Miata didn't make the cut.

agreed .... miata isnt that fast... but it sure is a fun car to drive:thumbsup:

Xtrema
09-23-2005, 08:32 AM

Cheapest Mini (Classic) with 115HP starts @ $23.5K

S with 168HP starts @ $30.5K

Mini Convertible starts @ $31.5K

Mini S Convertible starts @ $36.5K

All S model can be fitted with John Cooper Works (bigger blower than S and other upgrades) for around $5K. But starting this year, it became a factory option instead of dealer option.

bspot
09-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Totally agree with that list but it looks like Mini's are a bit cheaper in the states comparitively. My final list of cars was narrowed down to the Cobalt SS and the Mini Cooper-S.

The mini was significantly more expensive with just a couple options that were included as standards on the SS. I looked at getting a used one but couldn't find any that matched what I want. What really threw me over the edge is I HATE the mini's interior.

My couple thousand in discounts with GM plus their lower financing ended up making a big difference too.

Hakkola
09-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Different thread.....Idiot. And in that thread I said the SRT-4 was faster than anything with an "H" or "A" badge and of course the Honda boys had to come back and say "Not faster than an NSX type R". I never brought the NSX up nor did I "compare" the SRT-4 to it. Let's please leave that alone now as it is a different thread. Thanks junior.:thumbsup:

I'm not a "honda boy" but I believe I was the first to bring up nsx, you said the srt-4 faster than anything with H for a badge so I corrected you.

heavyD
09-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I'm not a "honda boy" but I believe I was the first to bring up nsx, you said the srt-4 faster than anything with H for a badge so I corrected you.

But you didn't correct me.:poosie:

Hakkola
09-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Sure I did, I said NSX, there are NSX's that are faster, especially since you said ANYTHING with an H or A for a badge, so i guess that includes modded cars. :poosie:

I like to argue semantics.

likwid
09-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Why is the Lancer Ralliart not on that list? My girlfriend has a Mazda 3 Sport and the Ralliart is a lot better in so many ways.

heavyD
09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by likwid
Why is the Lancer Ralliart not on that list? My girlfriend has a Mazda 3 Sport and the Ralliart is a lot better in so many ways.

I agree the Ralliart is a better car than the Mazda 3. There's no Sentra SER or Corolla XRS so I guess it just depends on which cars are available for test at the same time.

bspot
09-23-2005, 01:36 PM
^ I'm really not surprised that the XRS didn't make that list. Even if tested, it doesn't belong in the top 10 IMO