PDA

View Full Version : Best Dim Sum Places?

phreezee
09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Tried Forbidden City at Pacific Place today and thought it was good but a little on the pricey side. Being new to the city, I'm not sure if that's average pricing.

Food 4/5
Price 2/5
Ambiance 3/5
Service 4/5

Wondering what everyone's favorite is, so I know where to hit up next!
Thanks

bennyhanna
09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Go downtown

Regency Palace

Or on 16th ave and center

the One upstairs...I forgot the name

But its in the K&Y market

HRD2PLZ
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Silver Dragon isn't too bad... its where most of the white people seem to go though :rofl:

mmmm I am craving Dim Sum now... might have to go this weekend! :drool:

JordanEG6
09-22-2005, 04:06 PM
i love silver dragon. is there only one? the one i go to is behind regency...i LOVE shrimp toast...yummy shit! :drool:

89coupe
09-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Silver Dragon is the best. Regency is OK but doesn't hold a candle to Silver Dragon.

GSR Zero
09-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by bennyhanna

Or on 16th ave and center

the One upstairs...I forgot the name

But its in the K&Y market

Its called Central Grand restaurant. Definitely good there but huge line ups on the long weekends.

t-im
09-22-2005, 04:30 PM
U & ME is not bad, except it's not exactly a "nice atmosphere"

Silver Dragon has good food and is clean

and both you can make reservations - which is a plus.

The one in T&T is good except it's kinda far from me

if you think Dim Sum is expenisve here..try Vancouver...5 of us came to about $70

dooman24
09-22-2005, 04:35 PM
try singapore sam on 32.. really good..i go almost every week end

Sorath
09-22-2005, 04:38 PM
emperors.. needless to say right under the culture centre

wildrice
09-22-2005, 04:47 PM
silver dragon for me

phreezee
09-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Cool, thanks guys! Looks like Silver Dragon might be worth the trip.

One thing I forgot to mention, are these places the kind that kart around the food, or do you order it off a list?

The Forbidden City one in T&T was off a list.... took the fun out of Dim Sum LOL

wildrice
09-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Cool, thanks guys! Looks like Silver Dragon might be worth the trip.

One thing I forgot to mention, are these places the kind that kart around the food, or do you order it off a list?

The Forbidden City one in T&T was off a list.... took the fun out of Dim Sum LOL

-Silver Dragon is kart.
-Singapore Sams should be kart.
-Regency Palace is kart and they also have a huge table for you to go up and grab it yourself.
-Central Grand is kart.

tson
09-22-2005, 06:37 PM
the palce in the golden harvest 5 building inside its called TAI PAN best AFFORDABLE AND GREAT TASTING DIMSUM FO SHO go try mang

Ramdawg
09-22-2005, 07:08 PM
There is this guy on highway 1, sells outta his pinto tastes good:nut:

badseed
09-22-2005, 07:13 PM
U&ME
Silver Dragon
Harbour City
Regency Palace

89coupe
09-22-2005, 07:15 PM
LOL...that is cheap. When I went with the Ex, her Mom & myself the bill would be around $110.00

Two people the bill is usually $60.00

Originally posted by t-im
U & ME is not bad, except it's not exactly a "nice atmosphere"

Silver Dragon has good food and is clean

and both you can make reservations - which is a plus.

The one in T&T is good except it's kinda far from me

if you think Dim Sum is expenisve here..try Vancouver...5 of us came to about $70

max_boost
09-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Silver Dragon!

DarkDream
09-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Central Grand is good...... but a little on the pricier side.... MMMMMM their egg tarts are good......

AsianCaucasian
09-22-2005, 08:25 PM
I dunno about Silver Dragon, I feel like their quality has been going down steadily during the years. When I first came to Canada it was my favorite but not anymore. Regency Palace is pretty good and Forbidden City in T&T is my favorite now.

A2VR6
09-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Forbidden City in my opinion is the best... Singapore Sam's isnt too bad either! :thumbsup:

PinkKitty
09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
But I heard that Forbidden City's quality is going downhill but the price is still expensive.

I don't know, I don't go for dim sum so... lol.

l8braker
09-22-2005, 11:18 PM
my pops and i goto silver dragon every week!!! mmm. we also try the spot in the basement of the cultural center. serving are HUGE but there are like 2 carts that go around every hour it seems. also a co worker of mine said that there is a great spot in the ne in a stip mall???? if someone could name it off it would ring a bell

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: to dim sum

heinz256
09-22-2005, 11:50 PM
lol my dad's the cook who makes the dim sum at Silver dragon. We don't get free shit though lol, only 10 % discount whenever we go eat there.

GQBalla
09-23-2005, 12:13 AM
how come no one has mentioned treasures of china???

the place under cultural center is pretty good ncie and cheap but same stuff not much variety

n00bit
09-23-2005, 12:15 AM
U&ME
I've tried many places, know the chefs and the chef there is one of the better ones IMO.

USHER
09-23-2005, 12:52 AM
singapore sam has new owners cuz i think the old ones were reusing food, but the new owners change the whole taste of the food, now tastes like they are the ones reusing the food imo. lol

Will@STRD
09-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Forbidden City has good food and also a nicer place
U&ME has good food but kinda small there
Grand Central has good pastry like the egg tart and the BBQ pork pastry but everything else is ok
Singapore Sam on 32ave is pretty good food now but not alot of choices
Also if you want to try Northern Chinese style Dim Sum (all the above are Catonese style) you can try Peking Garden by Market Mall but only available on weekend from 11-2.
:)

Xtrema
09-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I'm boycotting Central Grand. Hate their waiters' attitude. As soon as it looks like you're done eating, they start taking your plates and chopsticks away without asking. Or hover around like a vulture ready to strike. Food and variety isn't that great anyway. Plus it's pricey and unjustly so. Everything is close the $4/dish and up.

Most Chinatown places are ok with exception would be Silver Dragon which is good. Got sick eating @ U&ME one time, never went back again.

As for Forbidden City, food is ok but doesn't really worth the price. Line up is also very long if you show up late.

I now go to Pine Lake. Little basement place right under Fujiyama next to the Telus building on 5th. Everthing is around $2.75 - $3.50. Plus they have special rice/noodle dishes that are $7 and they are huge. Pineapple fired rice actually comes in a halved Pineapple. Food is awesome. Plus free parking behind the restaurant.

Went there with 7 adults and got really full for $60.

HRD2PLZ
09-23-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

:rofl: we go there sometimes with friends because its huge and pretty cheap. Food is okay, but I think the quality and cleanliness of Silver Dragon is much better :thumbsup:

BokCh0y
09-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I'm boycotting Central Grand.

You want to Boycott somewhere? Try boycotting Ho Won Restaurant - Upstairs from the Top Ten Karaoke joint.

That place is the dirtiest, grossest, place i've ever been to. And the service.....I get treated better at MacDonalds.

Best Places:

Silver Dragon
Treasures of China
Central Grand
Forbidden City

GSR Zero
09-23-2005, 08:19 AM

It depends on the day that you go. Most places do the cart thing on weekends and holidays only. The list comes out on weekdays or if you go later in the day on the weekends.

wildrice
09-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by l8braker
also a co worker of mine said that there is a great spot in the ne in a stip mall???? if someone could name it off it would ring a bell

That'd be fordibben city in pacfic place.

Originally posted by GQBalla

B/c it's cheap, but quality is t3h suck.
Found hair in my food 2 different times I went.
I don't go nemore after those isntances.

Originally posted by BokCh0y

You want to Boycott somewhere? Try boycotting Ho Won Restaurant - Upstairs from the Top Ten Karaoke joint.

That place is the dirtiest, grossest, place i've ever been to. And the service.....I get treated better at MacDonalds.

True that!

Xtrema
09-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

The sole survival of that place is because white guys like their salt & pepper squid. You rarely see Chinese there evar.

BokCh0y
09-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The sole survival of that place is because white guys like their salt & pepper squid. You rarely see Chinese there evar.

HAHAHAHAHAHA fair enough.

89coupe
09-23-2005, 09:38 AM
So true. Ho Wan has the best salt & pepper squid in town. I always get good service there. They also have the best ginger beef.:drool:

89coupe
09-23-2005, 09:39 AM
The best take-out in town bar none is Toi Shon's:thumbsup:

sputnik
09-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
LOL...that is cheap. When I went with the Ex, her Mom & myself the bill would be around $110.00

Two people the bill is usually $60.00

How do you spend that much on dim-sum? Is you ex and her mother 300 lbs each or something?

abyss
09-23-2005, 10:12 AM
You can always find a good asian restaraunt if there's asian people eating there as opposed to mostly white people. ;) We love Forbidden city cause it's closer and cheaper than Regency for us, plus we get all the food we want in record time, as opposed to waiting like 3 hours for the egg tart and steamed BBQ pork bun cart to come around. Plus they have the BEST deep fried shrimp dumplings :drool: . Silver Dragon is okay, but I agree it has gone downhill steadily over the past few years.

sputnik
09-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
So true. Ho Wan has the best salt & pepper squid in town. I always get good service there. They also have the best ginger beef.:drool:

I dont consider salt and pepper squid or ginger beef to be dim sum... in fact anything you can get under the heat lamps at Tiki Ming isnt dim sum.

89coupe
09-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Who said it was? LOL...I was just commenting because someone brought up Ho Wan.

Learn to read...where is that poker smilie when you need it...LOL

Originally posted by sputnik

I dont consider salt and pepper squid or ginger beef to be dim sum... in fact anything you can get under the heat lamps at Tiki Ming isnt dim sum.

phreezee
09-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Checked out Central Grand today, again the prices where on the high side, and quality was ok. The sucky thing was no one pushing the carts really spoke english lol. I wish I knew Mandarin/Cantonese. :)

dragonone
09-23-2005, 04:39 PM
imo the only ones edible are:
one upstairs 16ave/centre st.
one in TNT supermarket mall
perhaps U&Me (i've heard)

these places have their own 'dim sum' chefs, and therefore it's quite fresh and taste different that other places:thumbsup:

all that silver dragon, treasures of watever, have no frickin' idea why ppl eat there for frozen, caucasian style chinese food:barf:

AsianCaucasian
09-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Checked out Central Grand today, again the prices where on the high side, and quality was ok. The sucky thing was no one pushing the carts really spoke english lol. I wish I knew Mandarin/Cantonese. :)

har kow = shrimp dumplings
siu mai = pork dumplings
char siu bao = bbq pork bun

hope that helps a bit :thumbsup:

phreezee
09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
LOL, I have lots of chinese friends and knew that much already LOL Thanks :thumbsup:

89coupe
09-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Ahh hello...rice pancakes with shrimp.

Oh and my favorite...peppered tripe.:thumbsup:

Xentric
09-23-2005, 09:15 PM
duck feet

l8braker
09-23-2005, 10:47 PM
forbidden city! yes thats it. i wanna try the spot by the telus building.........MMMMMMMMMMM :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to dim sum.

beyond dim sum gathering/meal??????????????

Xentric
09-23-2005, 11:57 PM
forbidden city! yes thats it. i wanna try the spot by the telus building.........MMMMMMMMMMM :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to dim sum.

same

dragonone
09-24-2005, 12:17 AM

it's called pine lake or watever, they serve the same dim sum as when there was PL pub. I'm very sure that it's gd stuff, because they have their own dim sum chef as well, and dinner is great there as well.

dooman24
09-24-2005, 12:29 AM
:barf: :barf: :barf:
haha singapore sams reuse their foods??
that's nasty!!

wildrice
09-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by USHER
singapore sam has new owners cuz i think the old ones were reusing food, but the new owners change the whole taste of the food, now tastes like they are the ones reusing the food imo. lol

They aren't reusing food.
The new owners bought out the place and they wanted to make it into more of a 'restaurant' style place, thus the renovations.

The new owners are a bit cheaper than the previous ones, but they definetely aren't re-using food.

Xentric
09-24-2005, 07:12 PM
wait, is Hung Won (sp?) the one west of centre St, right in that lil strip, by the small bakery and beside the visions? LOL if so, ya that place is frikkin nasty. Its all pink inside, awful service, had to ask 4 times for water at a 3-table reserved birthday dinner and the stupid lady got all upset. I wasnt impressed at all. And when she brought it out, she brought one when I had asked for the whole table. Im sure its just toilet water anyways.

My gramps chooses the worst places :rolleyes::burnout:

googe
09-24-2005, 08:29 PM
what is dim sum exactly? i was told dim sum meant lunch. :D what is it?

wildrice
09-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Xentric
wait, is Hung Won (sp?) the one west of centre St, right in that lil strip, by the small bakery and beside the visions? LOL if so, ya that place is frikkin nasty. Its all pink inside, awful service, had to ask 4 times for water at a 3-table reserved birthday dinner and the stupid lady got all upset. I wasnt impressed at all. And when she brought it out, she brought one when I had asked for the whole table. Im sure its just toilet water anyways.

My gramps chooses the worst places :rolleyes::burnout:

The place you are speaking of is probably tai pan.

Ho wan is east of centre street.

wildrice
09-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by googe

Dim sum is breakfast/brunch I guess..
Not exactly lunch, but at most places, it is served to approx. 2oclock in the afternoon.

Xentric
09-24-2005, 10:09 PM
we should plan a meet, id be up for it. downtown prefered.

l8braker
10-03-2005, 09:52 AM
me and my dad checked out the pine lake spot on saturday. all the shrimp meals were excellent :thumbsup: the sticky rice wasn't great, but oh well.. it was a cool place and we got to watch some freaky chinese game show on a little tv on a trolly. haha, good time. and the meal was pretty cheap too.

i still like silver ragon for the sticky rice :whipped: :)

3/5

GucciBoy
10-03-2005, 01:27 PM
was @ Silver today - good stuff. They are by far the best for selection.

GirlsOnFire
10-04-2005, 03:06 AM
The best Dim Sum I have had was at Kites in Penny Lane on 8th, the food was amazing but the place was packed.

sputnik
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by googe

I was told that Dim Sum means "Heart's Delight"... but what do I know... I'm a german whitey.