PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 question

2fast4me
09-23-2005, 12:26 AM
does anyone know how to change from 2wd to 4H/4L on a 1994 Pathfinder? I don't have a user manual so not sure...
it's a automatic.

let's say I am driving down the road and it starts to snow, what do I need to do to change to 4H? and 4L?

thanks

lastprodigy
09-23-2005, 12:52 AM
?? i dont think something that old would have shift on the fly.....youll have to stop.....and it sould be somehting tht atlooks like stick shift next to the gear box...unless you rtruck isnt really 4x4

crazytou
09-23-2005, 01:28 AM
Stop
Neutral
4wd
drive
go

safest way just in case trasfer case is cold and what not...

statick
09-23-2005, 09:24 AM
actually on that gen of pathfinder there is no neutral between 2WD and 4H, but after 4H theres neautral and then 4LO. and yea on that car u do need to stop if u wana change to 4H from 2WD.

mrbojangles
09-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
?? i dont think something that old would have shift on the fly.....youll have to stop.....and it sould be somehting tht atlooks like stick shift next to the gear box...unless you rtruck isnt really 4x4

Hello,
Once you shift into 4hi at a very slow speed (pretty much close to stopping) the hubs will be locked. You can then shift back and forth between 2hi and 4hi at any speed. edit: Like Nismodrifter said, up to a certain speed. If you shift back into 2hi and move foward or back a few feet, the hubs will unlock and you will no longer be able to shift back and forth between 2hi and 4hi.

To shift into 4lo, stop, put the tranny in neutral and then pull back while pushing down on the lever. If it grinds or you feel resistance, go slow. If you are on a uneven surface, you may have to get close to level ground to do this as the linkage may bind.

nismodrifter
09-23-2005, 10:42 AM
^yep, perfect explanation. First time shifting into 4hi I do it at a really low speed, after that you can do it at speeds up to 50km/h I believe.