PDA

View Full Version : Is your winter car dangerous

Redlyne_mr2
02-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Just wondering how much fun everyone is having in this snow, I swear the ae86 has to be one of the most dangerous winter vehicles ever. I was going up the canyon meadows exit doing about 65 and the rear end just slid out followed by the front tires, complete 4 wheel drift sideways up the exit ramp for about 25 meters, I was looking out my side window at the road and thought for sure I was going to hit the concrete wall...anyone elses car have winter troubles?

civic_stylez
02-09-2003, 11:32 PM
i have one of the heaviest beastiest jeeps out there and i love it. no problems here!!!!

EG STyLeZ
02-09-2003, 11:35 PM
my civic hb is super light, so i gotta take it slow around any corners/curves or else my back end will slip around! sucks in the winter..

nismodrifter
02-09-2003, 11:36 PM
The Canyon Meadows exit is just plain SCARY, I have seen people get like TOTALLY sideways and then somehow recover without hitting the walls (saw a mom with a kid in the back seat do a crazy drift in an E30 3-Series and somehow avoid the wall)

LUDELVR
02-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Just wondering how much fun everyone is having in this snow, I swear the ae86 has to be one of the most dangerous winter vehicles ever. I was going up the canyon meadows exit doing about 65 and the rear end just slid out followed by the front tires, complete 4 wheel drift sideways up the exit ramp for about 25 meters, I was looking out my side window at the road and thought for sure I was going to hit the concrete wall...anyone elses car have winter troubles?

HOLY DE JAVU!!!! hahahah, I just watached CRXguy's initial D dvd's and I just saw him doing this when he was chasing that guy with the all trak celica up the mountain. hahahha:rofl: :rofl: it was pretty sweet though!!:thumbsup:

Glowrider
02-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Well, I spend most of my time in the city, and the snow is always swept away and road salt is put down before anything can accumulate. But it is fun when I go back over to my house...like to mess around a little bit.

GTS Jeff
02-09-2003, 11:57 PM
haha ryan, the ae86 is the winter car ever! lightweight and rwd...not a good thing!

i also have the worst tires known to man, so its even worse...i get stuck everywhere! so embarrassing tonite when i was driving with this aussie chick....getting stuck everywhere :(

anyway, the best thing u can do is just learn to control the car in a slide so that u are never caught off guard when the car end comes out. remember that u can still accelerate "a little" in the direction that the car is pointed when u get on the throttle. then just use the steering wheel to keep the car pointed to the exit of hte corner..

rage2
02-10-2003, 12:05 AM
It's all about the tires boys. Michellin Pilot Alpins. Never get stuck.

max_boost
02-10-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by rage2

No doubt....

Anyway.....RWD+Traction Control+Blizzaks

CLiVE
02-10-2003, 12:18 AM
AWD + Blizzaks. As long as I don't have to stop this heavy ass car, I'm fine...:thumbsup:

Still, bet it handles better then half of the SUV's out there...

ecstasy_civic
02-10-2003, 12:20 AM
as we found out the other day my rx7 SUCKS in winter even with snow tires. its just all over the place.

CLiVE
02-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
as we found out the other day my rx7 SUCKS in winter even with snow tires. its just all over the place.

but it was a hell of a lot of fun....

T5_X
02-10-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by memystealthandi
AWD + Blizzaks. As long as I don't have to stop this heavy ass car, I'm fine...:thumbsup:

Still, bet it handles better then half of the SUV's out there...

True, cause 1/2 the SUVs out there are tiny front drive pos's. What makes larger ones better though is the big winter tires you can fit on em.

My truck has to be one of the pooest vehicles in winter. I have about a 57/43 bias with the lighter area over the drive wheels, no LSD. Winter tires help a lot, if I didn't have any, there would be no way in hell I would drive the truck on bad roads.

ecstasy_civic
02-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

but it was a hell of a lot of fun....

im debating pulling it out of the garage right now! not really lol its way to loud:rofl:

redline_13000
02-10-2003, 12:36 AM
i love the jimmy in this weather, funner than driving in the summer:thumbsdow , big tires and lsd is great:D

GTS Jeff
02-10-2003, 12:37 AM
yea LSD! fuck ive been stuck so many damn times with one wheel just sitting there while the other spins like a mofo!

i want an lsd for my car, not as a mod to launch and drift better....but so i wont get my ass stuck everywhere in the snow! open diff is so damn ghey....my car basically becomes a 1wd when its slippery out. argh!

CLiVE
02-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

True, cause 1/2 the SUVs out there are tiny front drive pos's. What makes larger ones better though is the big winter tires you can fit on em.

My truck has to be one of the pooest vehicles in winter. I have about a 57/43 bias with the lighter area over the drive wheels, no LSD. Winter tires help a lot, if I didn't have any, there would be no way in hell I would drive the truck on bad roads.

I had a heck of a time finding blizzaks in 245/45/17.....

three.eighteen.
02-10-2003, 12:46 AM

:werd: i've only been stuck once this winter season

girlRACER
02-10-2003, 12:47 AM

:rofl: Yeah right, I got stuck on my front driveway!

GTS Jeff
02-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

:werd: i've only been stuck once this winter season bastard! i get stuck about 5 times per drive if its snowy! haha how many times have u had to push me out?

rage2
02-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER

hehe check your tire pressures... my AMG ran much better at around 31psi.

TomTom
02-10-2003, 01:11 AM
mabey you should ask not is your car dangerous but are the drivers lol.

my cars left back tire is warn more than the rest dosnt go good.

i slid sideways for a bit a few times tonight and it was in a 01 jeep 4x4

Redlyne_mr2
02-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER

:rofl: And your ESP light was flashing like crazy...those slks would be a rolling car wreck without it.

mrmattyk
02-10-2003, 01:51 AM
Ryan dude my winter car is a piece of crap. It has no ABS and a high centre of gravity. I have almost died only twice the winter so it's all good :D

HACHIROKU_4AG
02-10-2003, 01:58 AM
i dont find my car too difficult to control. i just have good tread on the front and slalom's on the rear. tracks fine i guess, but when in doubt, give her hell!!! as for weight, i just have an amp and sub in the back. had a couple sand bags and that just created a mess and added momentum for the rear! oh well, weather is weather...safe trekking peeps

GTS Jeff
02-10-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by HACHIROKU_4AG
i dont find my car too difficult to control. i just have good tread on the front and slalom's on the rear. tracks fine i guess, but when in doubt, give her hell!!! as for weight, i just have an amp and sub in the back. had a couple sand bags and that just created a mess and added momentum for the rear! oh well, weather is weather...safe trekking peeps yea..i found that adding sandbags just made the car more tailhappy! so now theyre just sitting under my kitchen table haha.

actually, my car understeers horribly cuz the front tires are so bald that even the wear indicators have worn off.

speedracer
02-10-2003, 03:32 AM
They can't beat what I run: 12" 165R Mud tires + studs

I'm passing everyone. Even out ran a couple of MR2 :D

SilverStreak
02-10-2003, 08:17 AM
No electronic aids other than ABS, RWD, and Blizzaks, works fine if driven carefully.

mwmhong
02-10-2003, 08:39 AM
I've always had all-seasons without any problems.

Been stuck a few times in heavy snow.
NEVER EVER stuck on hills (that's the beauty of front-wheel drive) :)

subdermal
02-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Hmm I haven't had any problems :)

My winter "car":
http://www.machinegod.org/truck/front_left_2.jpg

RiceCake
02-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Damn all seasons suck in heavy snow, and my car's pretty light so it does slide around a bit. The Pontiac on the other hand makes a great winter beater. :P

van
02-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
my civic hb is super light, so i gotta take it slow around any corners/curves or else my back end will slip around! sucks in the winter..

I'm with ya on that one bro, haha I always slip around and I think my car is lighter than yours right? lol, oh well just gotta drive slow! Nothing wrong with driving slow in winter, just not too slow.. slow enough to control your car during turns and such..

boi-alien
02-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by defekt1

I'm with ya on that one bro, haha I always slip around and I think my car is lighter than yours right? lol, oh well just gotta drive slow! Nothing wrong with driving slow in winter, just not too slow.. slow enough to control your car during turns and such..

yup slow and easy in the wintertime!
but not too slow, gotta keep that momentum, or you'll get stuck!! heh

GTS Jeff
02-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by crxboi

yup slow and easy in the wintertime!
but not too slow, gotta keep that momentum, or you'll get stuck!! heh yea, i always have to make sure im going fast enough to not get stuck. unfortunately, that means motoring straight thru stop signs and sliding thru a ton of corners in small residential streets....which are incidentally the places that are never shovelled.

so yea, it sounds bad cuz i run stop signs and i slide around residential streets...but if i go any slower than 40ish, my car will get stuck...even when theres already a track.

max_boost
02-10-2003, 03:47 PM
It is understandable if you don't have the money to buy some snow tires but that isn't the case for you Jeff Type R! Unless if you just want to continue sliding around, past stop signs etc. lol

Oh yah, I forgot, your in Deadmonton.....
got to love the chinook Calgary gets! haha

three.eighteen.
02-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SilverStreak
No electronic aids other than ABS, RWD, and Blizzaks, works fine if driven carefully.

bah, i dont even have abs, or heat!!! just pilot alpins, rwd and skillz (both driving and staying warm)

James
02-10-2003, 08:30 PM

:thumbsup:...no problems here!...good thing about RWD, is when i actually want to go sideways, all i do is tap the gas a little bit! :D

Lo)2enz0
02-10-2003, 08:39 PM
I hate my civic when the snow is 6 inches deep. I slide around everywhere and I have problems going up the smallest hills, wait not even hills more like a 20 degree slant. I also almost slid into a crv when I wouldn't turn.

Laurier

Mikko
02-10-2003, 09:41 PM
If you don't want to get stuck get narrower tyres. Especially on light cars, or it won't take much to suddenly ride on top of the snow/slush/water which is a slippery experience. 245's.. even on a heavier car, that's just way too wide.

Overall it isn't about weight, it's about how much pressure there is per square <insert unit here> on the contact patch. Light car? get narrower tyres.

RWD is just fine. Heh, should get some really good throttle control after some winters in a RWD. Just be extremely careful when the car is rotating even the slightest.

Oh and Rage is right - tyre compound and thread is VERY Important overall. I don't know much about tyre pressures however, except that tyres deflate the colder it gets, and vice versa.

dogstar
02-10-2003, 11:28 PM
my truck is ass to drive quickly in this weather... was trying to spin last night on the way to spruce grove, very bad when your only doing 80.

i agree with james though, when i want to go sideways, which is often, its extremely easy, just look at the steering wheel and tap the go pedal.

winter tires are for sissies :P

and jeff... at least your car is light enough to push out, ill drive around and push your car out if youll push my truck out when i get stuck :P

CLiVE
02-11-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Mikko
If you don't want to get stuck get narrower tyres. Especially on light cars, or it won't take much to suddenly ride on top of the snow/slush/water which is a slippery experience. 245's.. even on a heavier car, that's just way too wide.

Sorry..can't go any narrower because of the brake calipers, etc. Trust me tried that. Tried to get some cheap 16" winter rims and downsize with narrower tires...but there is NO way 16's will fit...

Mikko
02-11-2003, 12:51 AM
Oh, sucks. 245 seems so extreme though. The mazda has 185 :thumbsup: hahahaha

CLiVE
02-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Mikko
Oh, sucks. 245 seems so extreme though. The mazda has 185 :thumbsup: hahahaha

yeah I know. I agree that 245 is too wide for winter. No choice though. Still handles amazing though..

szw
02-11-2003, 01:04 AM
I miss AWD in the snow...

Speed_Dreams
02-19-2003, 03:42 AM
I miss driving in the snow....

Always remember....Volvo VS. MK2 Supra

volvo always wins:thumbsdow

ACS-e36
02-19-2003, 03:40 PM

i got those... no problems for me... i drift when i want to and donut when i want to...
try some sandbags those help allot

girlRACER
02-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Just wondering how much fun everyone is having in this snow, I swear the ae86 has to be one of the most dangerous winter vehicles ever.

What're you talking about?! You never drive your ae86. Your winter car is an SLK :rofl: :D