PDA

View Full Version : Switching cell phone providers

Charon
09-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Anyone know if fido offers some kind of trade in deal to switch ? Im on telus and would switch to fido if I could trade my phone for one that would work on their network. Or am I going to have to buy a new phone ? And thus I dont switch.

Thaco
09-23-2005, 04:34 PM
fido has tons of promos for new accounts if you sign a contract

www.fido.ca

all except for 3 of thier phones are $100 or under with a contact.

Nissanaddict
09-23-2005, 04:35 PM
It works the other way around, not sure if Fido offers such a deal...but honestly, I switched from Fido TO Telus because

A. Fidos coverage has the worst reception holes
B. Customer service at Fido sucks more than Telus does now (even with the lockout)
C. I'm paying a lot less than Telus....Fido people like to lie about their plans.

Thaco
09-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
It works the other way around, not sure if Fido offers such a deal...but honestly, I switched from Fido TO Telus because

A. Fidos coverage has the worst reception holes
B. Customer service at Fido sucks more than Telus does now (even with the lockout)
C. I'm paying a lot less than Telus....Fido people like to lie about their plans.

lol, i have a $25 plan that includes unlimited incoming calls with 100 weekday minutes and 1000 weekend and evening minutes (full minutes due to billing by the second, not 2 seconds per minute)... that plan cant be beat (except maybe by fido city)

and i have only dropped like 2 calls in the 8 years of being with fido, it all depends on the phone when it comes to GSM

the only negative comment i think i could make against fido is thier limited phone selection.

Def_3
09-23-2005, 04:40 PM
you should calltelus, ask for loyalty, you will get a better plan than fido can ever offer, and stay on a network where your phone actually works ;) also check out the talk to me 30, $30 100 daytime, unlimited incoming, evenings and weekend calling, plus 100 free long distacne minutes

Thaco
09-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Def_3
you should call us at telus, ask for loyalty, you will get a better plan than fido can ever offer, and stay on a network where your phone actually works ;)

lol, the only way to get a reasonable rate from telus is to threaten them, that is sad.

Def_3
09-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

lol, the only way to get a reasonable rate from telus is to threaten them, that is sad. shows how much knowledge you have of the industry:rolleyes:

HRD2PLZ
09-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Telus was good about trying to be competitive when it comes to trying to retain a customer. They had given me a great plan which was only available in BC. Eventually I did end up leaving them for Rogers (I wanted the V3 RAZR), but I currently have a better plan for less money on Rogers... That being said, I have no regrets :thumbsup: I was with Telus over 5 years and I doubt I would go back.

Charon
09-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Telus doesnt seem to have anything close to

(Only includes features that interest me)

Fido to Fido anywhere in Canada - $30 per month

Unlimited evenings and weekends
Weekdays, from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m.
and from Friday 7 p.m. to Monday 8 a.m.
150 weekday minutes Weekdays, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

By the second billing

And Telus

Super Talk 30
+ unlimited local evenings & weekends
Evenings - Monday to Friday 9pm to 7am
150 weekday minutes
And a 20 second phone call rounds up to a minute........

Fido has by the second billing and unlimited evenings start two hours earlier

If I phone telus and complain they can match or beat that ?
Im not on a contract right now never have been and I can get the above plan from fido without a contract. Telus seems to want a 1 year contract to do almost anything

Godfuader
09-23-2005, 05:14 PM

lol, i have a $25 plan that includes unlimited incoming calls with 100 weekday minutes and 1000 weekend and evening minutes (full minutes due to billing by the second, not 2 seconds per minute)... that plan cant be beat (except maybe by fido city)

and i have only dropped like 2 calls in the 8 years of being with fido, it all depends on the phone when it comes to GSM

the only negative comment i think i could make against fido is thier limited phone selection.

Thats the plan I have and seems like the best bang for the buck. Used to lose service in cold spots thru out the city. It seems like they fixed those issues recently too.

Charon
09-23-2005, 05:17 PM

Cant you use any GSM phone on their network ?

BerserkerCatSplat
09-23-2005, 06:02 PM

That's the same plan I have, I love it. Unlimited incoming is great, it basically doubles your talk time, as the 100 anytime is only outgoing. By the second billing is awesome as well.

I have never had a single dropped call in the year I've had my Fido plan and phone (Seimens M55). Unless you're traveling into the boonies, reception is fine. I even got reception in the middle of the mountains during the Spriong Cruise, which surprised me.

Thaco
09-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl

That's the same plan I have, I love it. Unlimited incoming is great, it basically doubles your talk time, as the 100 anytime is only outgoing. By the second billing is awesome as well.

I have never had a single dropped call in the year I've had my Fido plan and phone (Seimens M55). Unless you're traveling into the boonies, reception is fine. I even got reception in the middle of the mountains during the Spriong Cruise, which surprised me.

yeah, with the unlimited incoming i use my phone as my main phone, i have no land line, me and the wife both have phones with this plan... and i am at work or sleeping on all "non evening" times, so its great for me.... and if i need to call someone when its not free and i expect the call to last a while, i just call them and have them call me back :D

the only time its a bit frustrating is when you call as customer service center for something and you sit on hold for a while... but its worth it.

now that fido sits on rogers towers... billing by the second... plans that cant be beat... there is no other way IMO.

Weapon_R
09-23-2005, 10:57 PM
The $25 incoming plan is awesome. I pay the extra $5 and have E/W from 5pm, and since all incoming calls are free, the 1000 evening minutes is more than enough. Billing by the second is great too.