PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Premium/Tickets Question.

Skyline_Addict
09-23-2005, 06:24 PM
hey guys,

i recently received an updated insurance policy. my rates have gone up because they apparently have just done a review on my driving record and added two tickets to my policy. one was in february 2003, and the other in march 2004. i know i've read it somewhere a while ago and maybe it's changed, but how long do the tickets stay on the system (i.e, how long do they affect your rates). is it 2 years? i tried searching but couldn't find specific answers. my insurance went up by about 25% because of these two tickets! :banghead:. it might just be me, but that doesn't sound right. should i talk to my insurance agent about this?

Weapon_R
09-23-2005, 06:27 PM
2 years for demerits, 3 yrs for insurance purposes. Under the new insurance system, good drivers are rewarded with cheap rates, but high risk drivers (such as yourself) are penalized heavily.

Skyline_Addict
09-23-2005, 06:33 PM
what's considered high risk? i started driving in 2002 and those 2 tickets are the last two tickets i've had between then and now? i paid just under 200 before this review and now pay about 250.

i don't mean to sound elaborate, but i don't think that should consider me a high risk driver. both tickets were not in excess of 20km/h over the limit.

Ben
09-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
what's considered high risk? i started driving in 2002 and those 2 tickets are the last two tickets i've had between then and now? i paid just under 200 before this review and now pay about 250.

i don't mean to sound elaborate, but i don't think that should consider me a high risk driver. both tickets were not in excess of 20km/h over the limit.

Dude, pretty much anyone male under 25 is High Risk.

Skyline_Addict
09-23-2005, 06:56 PM
^yep, i know that the "under 25" thing is a big kahuna of the "high risk" aspect, but i was also wondering if any other factors were involved, especially considering you have a "pretty clean" record - and if such factors are generally or invidually enforced.
50 dollars per month isn't alot more to pay in an absolute sense but the 25% hike is quite significant comparitively. i can live with it (one of the tickets will expire soon) with a little more peace of mind now that i know more of the facts and what to expect in the future.

thanks