PDA

View Full Version : HID's on 240sx

dj_rice
09-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Anyone on here have HIDS installed on the 89-94 240sx's with the flip-up headlights??

Been looking at kits on Ebay and was wondering how hard they are to install on the pop up lights and how bright would they be??Heard lots of stuff about on the sealed beam type HIDS too much glare...

Was considering getting PIAA Super Plasma GT-X H4 bulbs but they're $125 whereas I can get a HID kit installed for $450....

braden883314
09-25-2005, 03:18 AM
86max did this w/ Flip-ups. He did a comparison thread on NECC

http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1153

~Braden

dj_rice
09-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Anyone else?

Boost Infested
09-25-2005, 08:32 PM
i have a kit for h4 hi/lo 2 weeks old. asking $400. its out of my car now. if you are interested let me know.

86max
09-25-2005, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't waste the money if I were you. One option is to get those h6054 housings with a projector in them, but why, they look terrible? I only did it because it was cheap and I knew a lot of others were interested in knowing how it would turn out. Even bulb shields wouldn't do much good in a housing like that.

Nissanaddict
09-26-2005, 09:58 AM
The problem with that is, to my knowledge, flipups do NOT meet the requirements for factory HIDs. They aren't precise enough. I wouldn't do it, you might end up being a hazard on the road.

Lo)2enz0
09-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I remember 86max saying how they were super bright and even with his low beams people would flash him all the time.

personally i wam just going to pick up some silverstars and cheap out for the "hid" look

dj_rice
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Hmmmm all suggestions taken into consideration... thanx everyone..

Might just end up getting the PIAA bulbs then...more research I go

GTS Jeff
09-26-2005, 08:33 PM
The trick for making HIDs work in H4 conversions is to buy the right kind of H4 conversions. There are two requirements:

1. E-code AKA ECE beam pattern. This will give you the sharp cutoff so that you won't be projecting light into other drivers faces.

2. A reflector in front of the bulb. This will minimize any extra glare.

Hella has a kit that'll do this for you, the part number is 72200. You can also look into Cibie and Koito, but Hella is more readily available. Just make sure both of the above are fulfilled.

dj_rice
09-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanx for all the info Jeff....so far I just have Bosch H4 Housings right now...are those do-able and if there a way I can just aim them towards the ground?

talonboi
09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
my friend installed his hids on his 240sx and also did the sleepy eye conversion, looks good IMO

dj_rice
09-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by talonboi
my friend installed his hids on his 240sx and also did the sleepy eye conversion, looks good IMO

What brand did he install?And was there any major modification to make it fit/work??

GTS Jeff
09-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Thanx for all the info Jeff....so far I just have Bosch H4 Housings right now...are those do-able and if there a way I can just aim them towards the ground? I'd really recommend against it - sorry to break the news to you. Bosch housings are very high quality and give good light output BUT they don't meet the two requirements I mentioned. They aren't e-code, and they don't have the reflector either.

You can aim your Bosch headlights down to keep the glare down, but that will severely limit the range of the headlights. It doesn't make much sense to spend a ton of money on super bright headlights that only illuminate 20 feet in front of the car. ;)

I think if you really want HID, you really should spend the extra money on a pair of E-code Hella housings.