PDA

View Full Version : Question about the HUMMER folding mountain bike.

Carfanman
09-25-2005, 12:40 PM
http://www.montagueco.com/productchooseyrbike.html

Why wouldnt the hummer bike be able to be ridden on city streets?

l8braker
09-25-2005, 12:56 PM
it can be ridden on the road ;) with a bike like that with suspension coming out the wazzo and the type of frame, it can get very uncomfortable riding on road for someone who isn't used to it. def. meant for the true bike riders.

Carfanman
09-25-2005, 01:01 PM
So, looking at that website, if I need/want a mountain bike that folds, and can handle all kinds of biking, would the hummer be my best option?

l8braker
09-25-2005, 01:05 PM
lots of options out there. not too familiar with those particular ones. if the hummer is what you want, go find one and ride it and get a feel for the bike. you might decide its not what ya want. there are lots of bikes that that out there.

jaysas_63
09-25-2005, 01:12 PM
well what kind of riding will you be doing?

hummer shouldn't be to bad, it is a hard tail, it has deore shifting components, front disc brakes, and a decent front fork for when you take it offroad....and it shouldn't be too heavy either, because of the Al frame......looks like an ok bike

Carfanman
09-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I dont know exactly what type of riding I'll be doing, but I'd say, mountains, rocky trails, dirt roads, maybe swamps, and some cities and towns. So even if its not the best for it, can I ride the hummer in the cities? And its expensive, I cant buy it just to see if I'll like it on paved roads, because if I dont, then I'm screwed. I dont understand how something thats good for mountains can be uncomfortable on paved roads. Can someone explain this?

jaysas_63
09-25-2005, 01:26 PM
ok this is what happens...when you are mountain biking you want a bike with good front ...and if down hill mountain biking rear suspension too......now on a mountain suspension is great, it absorbs the impact so your ass doesn't have to, and when you take 15 foot drops, you won't feel like dying afterwards......

on teh road, you want a hard STIFF LIGHT bike, because you want to be able to transfer as much energy as possible to the peddaling, and if you have suspension, rather than expending enegy on pedalling, a lot of your energy will go towards the compression of the shocks.....

so if you want to do some road biking STAY away from a dual suspension bike, it would be to heavy, and damn hard to pedal, espessialy up hill......if you are ganna do some off roading, and mountain biking get something with a front fork to absorb some of the impact...

l8braker
09-25-2005, 01:27 PM
again, this is just a bike were talking about. all its saying is that it is meant for hardcore bikers. those who strap the bike onto their car (or their back) and goto the mountains. they most likely have a road bike for the city, if they even are into that.

buy the on/off road bike if you're not sure.

l8braker
09-25-2005, 01:28 PM
^^ yeah duel susp. is awful for city riding. the rear and fronts will just annoy the f out of you. that said, there seems to be alot of kids riding the fullout bikes tru the city. but its more of an image thing now.

jaysas_63
09-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
^^ yeah duel susp. is awful for city riding. the rear and fronts will just annoy the f out of you. that said, there seems to be alot of kids riding the fullout bikes tru the city. but its more of an image thing now.

most of those "duel suspension" bikes u see around are jokes...they are fukin toys that cost 200 bucks...if you want a true full suspension down hill bike you are ganna have to fork out at least 2000 for something half decent....

btw how mch is the hummer xt bike?