PDA

View Full Version : idle adjustment?

hollywood_35
09-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Where on the SOHC KA would I find the idle adjustment screw? When I fired my car up when I was just test driving it, I had to give it some gas to get it going and then it idled pretty low, on the edge of stalling. Seeing as the engine just had some work done to it by a shop in town, I'm guessing it must have been played with and not set properly again.

The car also makes a ticking noise, I know it's lifter knock. I have to change the oil and see if that solves it like it did on my last car. If not, it could be the dammed chain guide.

braden883314
09-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by hollywood_35
Where on the SOHC KA would I find the idle adjustment screw? When I fired my car up when I was just test driving it, I had to give it some gas to get it going and then it idled pretty low, on the edge of stalling. Seeing as the engine just had some work done to it by a shop in town, I'm guessing it must have been played with and not set properly again.

The car also makes a ticking noise, I know it's lifter knock. I have to change the oil and see if that solves it like it did on my last car. If not, it could be the dammed chain guide.

I have never worked on a KA, but the idle adjustment screw should be at the end of the throttle cable on the intake manifold, its ussally just a tiny set screw, rev your motor by moving the thottle cable and when u let go there is a stopper (the idle adjustment screw) just turn the screw in for a higher idle.

~Braden

hollywood_35
09-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Thats how it was on my MX-6, I just wanted to make sure so that the minute I get the car tomorrow afternoon I can fix it and then go cruise all day with no worries of stalling in traffic :thumbsup:

schurchill39
09-25-2005, 08:36 PM
How low is it idling. Mine would idle anywhere between 600-800RPM or when i first started it on cold days it would be 1000-1500 then go back down to 600-800. Like i told you on msn, you can have my motor to dude if you cant fix the knock on yours.

EDIT: nevermind, if yours is idling at like 250 then there is something wrong.

dymz999
09-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Is there not an ACV valve on the KA attached to the intake manifold, i'm pretty sure there is. And then it is as simple as turning a screw...

If it is idling that low you either have a huge air leak or your missing a couple cylinders. Does it run like crap aka sound like a WRX lol.

hollywood_35
09-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Well I'll diagnose it a little more when I go pay for the car in about 2 hours. :thumbsup:

hollywood_35
09-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Well I got the car back and the idle is fine once it gets going. I believe I've sourced the problem. It's one of these two problems, The muffler on the car looks like it was done as a favor... I swear it's an airplane muffler and it makes my car sound HORRIBLE. It also rubs somewhere and makes a squeeking noise.

Either that or my oil pressure os way off, the entire fire wall behind the engine is covered in fresh oil, and the bolts are down tight so I blame a worn out valve cover gasket. That is most likely the culprit for my ticking problems as well. :dunno:

hollywood_35
10-01-2005, 05:54 PM
I fixed the problem in the end, whoever the previous owner chose to uninstall the car alarm and starter... did a total hackjob to the wiring. They left some wires and hook ups connected to the wiring from the ignition. So I pulled down the dash and realized the power was coming from the cigarette lighter and kept blowing my fuses.

So after I ripped out all that junk wiring and got everything hooked up the way it was meant to be, it fixed my door lights, cigarette lighter, and my dash clock. It also made it so my car starts right up and idles perfect. But it still sounds like an airplane. :thumbsdow

schurchill39
10-01-2005, 07:02 PM
money = exaust. When are you getting paid so i can take the exaust off

Lo)2enz0
10-01-2005, 07:43 PM
red the factory service manual, on ca18's they are to the right and about the middle of the intake manifold and there is a screw to adjust the idle. probably the same on a sohc ka since both are similar designed on that side of the engine

hollywood_35
10-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Well now it idles perfectly at 750, and I didn't even have to touch anything under the hood :thumbsup:

90Tegra
10-01-2005, 08:02 PM
just be very careful with the screw they tend to break sometimes on those cars

hollywood_35
10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
yup, but i never had to touch the screw...