PDA

View Full Version : Sub Box Help

Barking_Spidre
09-25-2005, 07:06 PM
I've got 2 MXS-1204's, MTX Super Woofers or something like that. The box I have them in right now, I think the subs hit the back of the box when I have them up too high, the box is kinda small.
Here are the specs on the subs.

The MTX MXS1204 12" Car Subwoofer sports a silver cone and MTX's chrome, red and black badge. It also features a cast aluminum frame, rubber surround, machined plates, Integral Tinsel Lead, Expanded Poly Cone dust cap and Spider Plateau Venting Technology.

WebID: 10043433
Mfr. Part Number: MXS1204
Band Pass Volume Info Not Available
Basket Material Cast Aluminum
Binding Posts Spring Terminals
Cone Material Expanded Poly
Frequency Response 29 - 150 Hz
Impedance 4 Ohms
Magnet Weight 204.1 g
Mounting Depth 7.2"
Ported Box Volume 1.75 Cu. Ft.
Power Handling Max 400 Watts
Power Handling Nominal 200 Watts
Product Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour
Recommended For Band Pass Yes
Recommended For Ported Yes
Recommended For Sealed Yes
Sealed Box Volume 1.25 Cu. Ft.
Sensitivity 85.2dB
Surround Material Rubber
Voice Coil Size 2"
Woofer Size 12"

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10043433&catid=11052&logon=&langid=EN

It says Ported Box Volume is 1.75 Cubic Feet, so I'm assuming
that means for each one. Since it says ported box volume, does that mean they would sound best in a ported box?

Where would be the best place to buy a box, and would someone be able to maybe give me dimensions that would be best for it?

And if anyone has a box that would be suitable for sale, let me know.

Thanks!

SteveMo600
09-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Look in the manual. It will tell you whether it is preferred to be in a ported or sealed box but most subs can be mounted it in either. It depends upon the kind of sound quality you want as well. I'm pretty sure a sealed box will give you a more deep and low frequency sound of bass. It's also much easier to build a sealed box which is what I suggest you do. It's 1.75 cubic feet for each subwoofer. I would give her a try and build your own box and carpet it or paint it, whichever you want.

PS I just looked at your pasted text and it does say that a sealed enclosure should be 1.35 cubic feet. I would go with that a build one yourself. It's not that hard and I'm sure you'll end up learning a thing or two. Buy some wood glue, wood screws and a sheet of 3/4" MDF. Should run you about 20-30 for parts which is much cheaper than buying a box.

ninspeed
09-25-2005, 07:34 PM
http://mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/TechData_MXS1204.pdf

Barking_Spidre
09-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600

PS I just looked at your pasted text and it does say that a sealed enclosure should be 1.35 cubic feet. I would go with that a build one yourself. It's not that hard and I'm sure you'll end up learning a thing or two. Buy some wood glue, wood screws and a sheet of 3/4" MDF. Should run you about 20-30 for parts which is much cheaper than buying a box.

I'd love to build my own, but I've no tools at my house, at all. Maybe one of my friends has some, but I'll look into it.

Chris @ Mitek
09-25-2005, 08:01 PM
If you talk to Jonathan at The Car Salon ask him for a dual 12 Bass Slammer box, they are designed by MTX and the subs you have would work perfect in it. Vented is the way to go with MTX the boxes that they have designed for the subs sound very good, and will be a better choise for those subs.