PDA

View Full Version : What intersection/strech of road would you like to see improved?

69cougar
09-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Driving to work today and again got bogged down by sb Deerfoot between Beddington Trail and 64th. I think it is becasue the merges on and off are so close together. In a perfect world I would close the onramp from beddington and relocate it further north to strech the merge distance out. What part of your drivedrives you nuts??

:guns: :guns: City Planning

brandon
09-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Where deerfoot north merges with anderson north and the turn off for southland drive. No matter what it always comes to a dead stop and I hate it! I have no idea what I would do with it as I don't think it could get better but I still hate that section.

rc2002
09-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by 69cougar
:guns: :guns: City Planning

:werd: They really need to overhaul traffic in Calgary.

The intersection I'd want changed is 90 Avenue and 14 Street SW. I always wait forever to get onto 14 Street. Especially in the winter time. :guns:

Ben
09-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Definatly a Deerfoot overhaul.

Those of you with stiff or lowered suspension know what Im talking about. The concrete sections rock the car too and fro (especially between Peigan and 17th), and some of the sections are separating, leaving ungiving rim bashers. The asphault sections have 6 inch deep ruts, that yank the car left and right all the time, changing lanes is like a body check. south of douglasdale on deerfoot, the road has been torn up and repaved in so many sections there are ruts and grooves everywhere, suspension is working overtime. Plus when it rains at night, you cant tell what lane you're in, because the 4 other previous lines are still there.

All the construction for building overpasses in my mind has SLOWED traffic, it's rediculous. Northbound deerfoot at Anderson/bowbottom is a joke, my 11km drive to work can take upwards of 40 minutes.

Ugh...

DonJuan
09-26-2005, 08:29 AM
^^^ I think your talking about Deerfoot south of Blackfoot and north of Peigan. That place is the absolute worst strech of road and seriously needs some help. It makes driving to the track a real pain in the ass, which is why I just take 17th to 52nd and go the back way.

cman
09-26-2005, 10:32 AM
werd to deerfoot by peigan and 17th. fuck it feels like your driving on a bunch of mini speed bumps.

finboy
09-26-2005, 11:03 AM
crowfoot north before kensington.
whoever planned that is an idiot, merging 3 main roads out of downtown onto crowchild, its insane.

Tux10
09-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey, I work for the city in the planning department and your Deerfoot problems ain't our fault!!! Blame Alberta Infrastructure cause Deerfoot is theirs! That's why Carmacks is in charge of all the sweeping and snow removal.

You guys are right though, Deerfoot could sure use an overhaul. It took me an hour to get to work today cause I was stuck on Deerfoot. But its not all the roads fault, blame the idiot drivers that don't know how to merge into the lanes (like between Anderson and Southland or Beddington and 64th) or the dumb asses that slow down their cars and look over at an accident that is on the opposite side of Deerfoot cause they are curious.

One time it took me an hour and a half to get down deerfoot so I thought there was an accident on our side of the road, it turned out there was one on the other side and everyone just kept slowing down to check it out.

benyl
09-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Let see.

Crowchild anywhere there is a traffic light.

Glenmore/Sarcee anywhere there is a traffic light.

Westhills is the most retarded piece of engineering I have ever seen. How many freaking traffic lights are there?

snowboard
09-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Mcknight
Mccall Way or whatever. From the airport to John laurie. fucking garbage!

Crowchild isnt bad where all those main roads meet, just drive faster than everyone and cut them all off? lol

QuasarCav
09-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Lets imagine I'm going south on Deerfoot at 4:10pm on a weekday. I'm at the calfrobe and I'm about 7 min away from my house in perfect conditions, I'm currently going 100km/hr. Take a look at what can happen:

- Sun is out, +10 min
- Oh shit it's raining, + 15 min
- Whats that? An accident on the other side of the road thats divided by 12 inches of solid concrete, + 25min
- Some assclown cant take an offramp at over 15 km/hr, + 5 min

Now I reach the cloverleaf that attaches glenmore west to blackfoot south. I would be home in about 3 min from here in perfect conditions, lets see how this can get screwed up:

- Stopping in the yield that has perfect visiblilty and any 9th grader with some form of planning can figure it out, + 5 min - 2 years of hair growth.

- Your not turning right but you want the jump on traffic after Heritage and Blackfoot, lane gets clogged and people cant turn. + 5 min.

That is all.

Xtrema
09-26-2005, 12:48 PM
I can only speak for the north:

Deerfoot:

remove northbound exit @ Deerfoot & Mcknight. Divert all northbouth traffic via 64th Ave or Airport road. Hence, use Barlow more.

Use left side exit on beddington trail. So traffic from 64th merges in from the right. And traffic left to Beddington trail leaves from the left.

Add 4th (TOV) lane for both side with barrier in the middle.

Barlow:

Expand to 3 lanes on each side from country hills to memorial.

Crowchild

Remove all lights. Espeically 24th Ave/University. There's definitely room to do underpass.

4th St.

Remove all road narrowing blockades.

Centre St

4 lanes 1 way into downtown, starting @ 16 ave til 9 Ave

Dual lane turns @ 4th & 6th

Also remove bus trap @ Beddington trail.

Edmonton trail

4 lanes 1 way out of downtown, start @ the end of the split til 16 ave.

10th St up til 16th Ave

No parking anytime, anywhere except there's a parking lot.

69cougar
09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Tux10
Hey, I work for the city in the planning department and your Deerfoot problems ain't our fault!!! Blame Alberta Infrastructure cause Deerfoot is theirs! That's why Carmacks is in charge of all the sweeping and snow removal.

I'm assuming your department are the jackasses that decide where to but the onramps and feeder roads though??

benyl
09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by finboy
crowfoot north before kensington.

You mean Crowchild right?

Originally posted by Xtrema

[B]Crawfoot

Remove all lights. Espeically 24th Ave/University. There's definitely room to do underpass.

Xtrema
09-26-2005, 12:56 PM
^ yes

Tux10
09-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar

I'm assuming your department are the jackasses that decide where to but the onramps and feeder roads though??

No need to flame here.

You must remember that Deerfoot was planned many many years ago before anyone expected the big boom in population in Calgary. It worked well at the time but now that population has increased so much its no longer adequate to accommodate the amount of traffic.

On ramps are all part of the original designs. Feeder roads? Whats wrong with the feeder roads? I have no problems once I get off of Deerfoot (other then 17th Ave which is a total pain). There are plans to improve it but that won't be for many years yet I believe and not till much after the East Freeway is built.

There are plans to improve most of the places that you guys noted, but again it takes time as there are only so many contractors out there. Most interchange projects take 2-3 years so a lot of the work has contractors locked up for the next couple of years.

Xtrema, your changes are quite extreme there, I doubt you will ever see any of those happen other then maybe the Crowchild one.

Xtrema
09-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Xtrema, your changes are quite extreme there, I doubt you will ever see any of those happen other then maybe the Crowchild one.

Not really. 1/2 of those are put up by business or resdients to slow down traffic on purpose. Can be removed if City stop being a pussy. If you buy a home or build a business on/next to a major road way, expect changes.

For the Deerfoot merges, it make sense because exits and entries are too close to each other. Most people can't merge if their life depends on it. Combining merging in and merging out traffic together, that's just asking for it.

The center st/edmonton trail idea is a tad extreme but I just came back from Vancouver and if our city get any more busy, this would be the cheapest way to direct flows of traffic.

If businesses want to keep the parking on 10st, they should have a fleet of tow trucks ready and clear the street for any unattended vehicles during rush hour. (they do already but too many morons still stop/park and get away with it). And cops ready to ticket everybody that stop without a traffic sign.

QuasarCav
09-26-2005, 02:23 PM

Most people can't merge if their life depends on it.

I think that is a bigger problem than the roads. The roads are designed as if we were perfect drivers. We are not.

Weapon_R
09-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Deerfoot trail, definately. It was a bad idea from the start, a single highway from one end of the city to the other on a small population base is something we cannot afford. The SB Peigan trail offramp is horrible!

69cougar
09-26-2005, 02:47 PM

No need to flame here.

You must remember that Deerfoot was planned many many years ago before anyone expected the big boom in population in Calgary. It worked well at the time but now that population has increased so much its no longer adequate to accommodate the amount of traffic.

On ramps are all part of the original designs. Feeder roads? Whats wrong with the feeder roads? I have no problems once I get off of Deerfoot (other then 17th Ave which is a total pain). There are plans to improve it but that won't be for many years yet I believe and not till much after the East Freeway is built.

There are plans to improve most of the places that you guys noted, but again it takes time as there are only so many contractors out there. Most interchange projects take 2-3 years so a lot of the work has contractors locked up for the next couple of years.

I should have clarified. I am not calling you a jackass but I am sure your predessecors were. By feeder roads I simply meant the roads that they merge onto deerfoot.

This city just does not appear to use common sense.

Examples:

1) The new offramp of the offramp going North on DF at Beddington Trail (11th ave??) Now you have large trucks slowing down to take the curve which slows down the traffic merging off the deerfott onto deerfoot. Or who was the genius that built the intersection and didn't build a offramp for South Bound Deerfoot to exit onto Beddington Trail?

2)Some is city Planning. We finally twin Barlow (N of airport) and now we are adding a shitload of lights and commercial developments. Even better is that the development on the west side (Country Hills Toyota) is slowgoing and now they are already developing the East Side. Why dont they finish one side and then move to the other. Either way there is a road (barlow) that was just about up to doing th ejob of moving people around screwed up by all the new lights.

3) Country Hills Blvd. More and more commercial developments are bing built on it yet they just keep on slamming in the traffic lights!! Rushhour where Beddingot Trial meets is backed all the way up the hill BOTHWAYS. Needs an overpass big time or another dramatic and riskier way that the city seems to have never heard off is changing the timing on the lights.

4) Hey lets make the deerfoot a 3 lane road and then choke it to 2 lanes at Glenmore!!

5) How about 22x?? Lets widen a road and then choke it back on the bridge!!

5) Hey that lane reversal on Edmonton Trail worked pretty good when Centre street was closed. Now that the bridge is open again we don't need it. Hey engineer....Why not have both??

I could go on and on.................

69cougar
09-26-2005, 02:51 PM
I can only speak for the north:

Deerfoot:

Also remove bus trap @ Beddington trail.

:werd:

Remove all bus traps. To me it is a form of discrimination against cars but none more than this one. All the peole that live between it and Co-op bitched about the development being built in Harvest Hills. How are they any different than those that live on Centre Street in Tuxedo??

rage2
09-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Crowchild

Crowchild will be an interesting exercise. Even if 24th is cleared up, there's no room to do it at kensington, 5th ave, and 23rd ave NW.

23rd ave, there's absolutely zero room to do anything there unless they get rid of the Nissan dealership.

Without removing all those lights, changing 1 intersection won't do anything.

Xtrema
09-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2
23rd ave, there's absolutely zero room to do anything there unless they get rid of the Nissan dealership.

That what I thought too. But with all the Honda dealerships moving out or expanding, this will one day happen with Nissan.

Or simply remove the light and have alternative entry to the Stadium via 24th Ave and not Crowchild.

Kirbs17
09-26-2005, 04:04 PM
17th ave should have no street parking

benyl
09-26-2005, 04:14 PM

Simple. Make people turn right only and get rid of the light.

If they did an overpass at 24th, you could push the traffic that wants to go north onto University drive, to 24th and then merge them onto crowchild. For going south, they could create a merge lane (take away some parking).

The light from the Banff trail station, i.e. Stadium Nissan is redundant and only serves the mall with Saigon Y2K and the hotels. People can go on 16th ave and get onto crowchild south via University drive.

IMO, they could get rid of that light now if they made the intersection right turn only and force people to use the roads that have no lights. Even the people who are southbound on crowchild who want to get into motel village can get off on 16 ave east and turn left onto banff trail.

Khyron
09-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Finish the ring road! So many of us have to go through downtown to get across the city when getting us out of there would kill two birds with one stone.

More time of day lane reversals. Lots of roads are packed for a few hours a day but empty the rest. They've started this idea with the pumphouse reversal -> 5th ave.

Bow Trail when it's finally finished should be 4/2 depending on time of day instead of 3/3

And for the love of god, a motorcycle/scooter/moped is a HOV anywhere else except here!

Khyron

finboy
09-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by benyl

yes, my mistake

i think the easiest way to fix calgary's traffic problems would be to change our lisencing situation. most of the roads wouldn't be that bad if people knew how to drive :thumbsup:

88CRX
09-26-2005, 06:58 PM
22x can lick my nutsack :thumbsdow

Xtrema
09-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by benyl
IMO, they could get rid of that light now if they made the intersection right turn only and force people to use the roads that have no lights. Even the people who are southbound on crowchild who want to get into motel village can get off on 16 ave east and turn left onto banff trail.

The only function for that light is for stadium/park'n ride parking. For people coming froms South or leaving to the North. Hence my relocate exit to 24th idea.

No exit, no light needed.

3G
09-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Bow Bottom to Deerfoot, that lil shit is confusing

stevieo
09-26-2005, 07:43 PM
mcknight and 68th, that shit is so fucking un even, i bottom out if i go speed limit at the light cause its like a fucking ski hill

ninspeed
09-26-2005, 07:47 PM

Working for the carter group (who owns stadium).. i can tell you there have been roomers floating around that the city wants to buy that land.. and given Jacks past dealings with the city.. should not be a problem.

dennisaur
09-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
17th ave should have no street parking

:werd: plus everything backs up when someone tries to make a left turn there

also i agree with the idea that a lot of the drivers out there absolutely do not know how to merge at all:banghead:

and deerfoot around 17th/peigan feels like youre driving on rumble strips the whole damn time

Rockski
09-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by cman
werd to deerfoot by peigan and 17th. fuck it feels like your driving on a bunch of mini speed bumps.

Definatly a shitty area (more noticable in your lowered car now?)

i cant wait till the construction in airdrie is finished... the 567 overpass is just a headache when your trying to get accross it and same as on the south side through the mouse hole... theres 2 ways accross airdrie, and they both have construction and they both are backed up for fucking ages

id like to see some leveling of the roads comming and leaving edmonton as well on the #2, it feels like your on a fucking roller coaster for a couple hundred meters

rage2
09-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 3G
Bow Bottom to Deerfoot, that lil shit is confusing
No way, those weird twists and turns in that whole area makes driving fun!

TheBenzo
09-27-2005, 10:52 AM
My issues/Fixes:

Join Bow Bottom with 22x, would unload the southbound clusterfuck of people that need to get to that part of MAckenzie or Chapparal who usually take deerfoot.

Connect Southland drive to Barlow. Would unload more south and northbound traffic that is trying to get to the industrial.

Also I could never really understand why you couldnt go west-bound on glenmore without taking that shit-asses by pass near the auto mall.. I know that part of glenmore is congested.. but wtf?

Make it illegal for truckers to be driving in the fast lane... they do it in Dallas.. why not here? Limit them to the middle and right lanes..

Also add another lane maybe an HOV on each direction of deerfoot.

These new overpasses are stupid. I am in the process of designing a new variatiuon of the cloverleaf that takes up less space but remains efficient enough to keep traffic moving.

I honestly believe the traffic problems on the deerfoot are as a result of poorly engineered overpasses and interchanges. We will not be able to support large growth.

TheBenzo
09-27-2005, 10:53 AM

No way, those weird twists and turns in that whole area makes driving fun!

Favorite twisty in town: Deerfoot north to anderson.. I hit that shit mad fast y0.

sputnik
09-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by TheBenzo
My issues/Fixes:

Join Bow Bottom with 22x, would unload the southbound clusterfuck of people that need to get to that part of MAckenzie or Chapparal who usually take deerfoot.

Connect Southland drive to Barlow. Would unload more south and northbound traffic that is trying to get to the industrial.

Connecting Bow Bottom to 22X would require building probably 5 km of high traffic road right through the middle of Fish Creek Park. Thats not going to happen.

Connecting Southland to Barlow is quite a stretch and would require removing a large park and building a bridge over the river. Not to mention that Southland would have to be routed south quite a bit due to the residential area in the way.

TheBenzo
09-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Connecting Bow Bottom to 22X would require building probably 5 km of high traffic road right through the middle of Fish Creek Park. Thats not going to happen.

Connecting Southland to Barlow is quite a stretch and would require removing a large park and building a bridge over the river. Not to mention that Southland would have to be routed south quite a bit due to the residential area in the way. Still a fix though. Overpass the shit. Thats where it should have joined with QE2.. not way in the fukkin S.E.

The problem is that there is no west side Freeway. They seriously need another deerfoot.. which I guess is the new 36th.. But widening and connecting bow bottom with the 22 would seriously unload a lot of strain at that interchange.

If they can annex property on 16th, they can fuckin annex fish creek :rofl: