PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the weed laws?

ninjak84
02-10-2003, 07:36 PM
I remember hearing that Jean Chretien presented a marijuana legalization bill to Parliament during the first week of February. I haven't heard anything about it since then though, does anyone know what the deal is?

Do you think we'll ever be able to hop down to 7-11 and buy a pack of joints?
Haha, just curious.

On the whole weed topic, I think someone spoke for me already.

Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN
BIG FUCKIN DEAL:
Alcohol and tobacco are worse!

James
02-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Alcohol and tobacco are worse!

:werd:....now here come the anti-drug people
:rolleyes:

Ajay
02-10-2003, 07:56 PM
It's only a matter of time before weed becomes legalized. Soon you'll be able to go into Mac's and say "Give me a pack of spliffs" and have no problems!! Course I'm guessing that it won't be very strong weed which will keep the dealers and growers in business.

About a month and a half ago there was a case in Toronto of some dude being charged with possession. The judge threw the case out of court saying that the person arrested was in possession of less than 30 grams of weed and that apparently isn't illegal according to some kind of loophole in the system.

30 grams is quite a bit!! As far as I know it's legalized in Manitoba for medicinal purposes already.

Ben
02-10-2003, 07:57 PM
The drug trade in canada is a billion dollar industry, and a pig part of the economy, hahaha

A pound of Canadas Finest sells for about 2k in Canada, accross the border is 4kUSD, and in Califonia fetches as high at 7kUSD.
Its sick!

That and big wheel grow ops are far more efficient and advanced than back in the 70's. 1 plant is good for a pound or so, instead of 3-4 ounces 30 years ago!

kaput
02-10-2003, 08:09 PM

James
02-10-2003, 08:15 PM
I think smoking ciggeretes has more long-term health hazards, such as Lung Cancer etc..
Drinking can Lead to Liver problems etc.. plus theres Drinking and Driving, and we know how many Deaths that Causes a year.

Audi Kid
02-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Fuck that! Smoking is all toxins. weed is natural.........haha

davidI
02-10-2003, 08:20 PM
I think the Canadian gov't should try to sneak the bill by the states right now while war is the main focus. I think Canadians are open minded enough to let the legislation pass but the U.S. wouldn't be happy...

kaput
02-10-2003, 08:29 PM

Lo)2enz0
02-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Ya, its legal to have 30 grams on you (which is alot) annd all they will do is throw it out. Personally I am not a big fan of weed, mainly because all it does to me is make me tired and extremely hungry now. I accually don't drink anymore, but smoking is always an issue.

I think I saw a commercial that said 1 joint (i think the size of a smoke) is equal to 4 cigarettes.

Laurier

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 08:32 PM
weed is natural

If you believe what you buy is 100% natural, you are a moron.

Even so, the most dangerous element of cigarettes, the tar from the tobacco plants, is even more prevelant in marijuana plants. Better find another argument.

kevie88
02-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Ya but weed has pretty bad long term effects too, look at ozzy osbourne!

lol.. That wasn't Weed that did that..

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
Ya, its legal to have 30 grams on you (which is alot) annd all they will do is throw it out. Personally I am not a big fan of weed, mainly because all it does to me is make me tired and extremely hungry now. I accually don't drink anymore, but smoking is always an issue.

I think I saw a commercial that said 1 joint (i think the size of a smoke) is equal to 4 cigarettes.

Laurier

Yeah, but you have to remember that you usually don't smoke a whole "cigarette" type joint by yourself (usually :rofl: ), you pass it around and end up having 4 or 5 puffs.. it's not like your chain smoking the shiz (hopefully)

ninjak84
02-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Well, I know a half gram joint goes for five dollars Canadian.
The exact same joint sells for twenty dollars American in South Cali.

I actually don't know what the current laws are, so tomorrow I'm going down to the police station to ask them and see what's up. I'll post the conversation after my classes :)

I'm more interested in when the government will start selling weed in corner stores than when it becomes legal.

I personally don't think it will be for sale for a long time, but I don't know any facts about the process....

THREE40SEVEN
02-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Anything in moderation is fine, excluding sex which is acceptable 100% of the time.
I love the "if you smoke 5 (yes 5 fucking) joints a day its worse than smoking. DING DING DING DING DING DING You win the fucking prize, jackass!! Probably 10% of the pot smokers out there smoke that much, and im sure they were oblivious to that fact.
Right now, bush, hussien and the rest of the political fuckheads should grab a fatty and inhale deep before we have nothing of this world left. Grab me some fucking chips while you're at it.

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 09:29 PM
bush, hussien and the rest of the political fuckheads should grab a fatty and inhale deep before we have nothing of this world left

Wow...you're an intellectual powerhouse, aren't you?

THREE40SEVEN
02-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider

Wow...you're an intellectual powerhouse, aren't you?
Compared to the guy in my sig, YES:thumbsup:
Lemme guess.... If you smoke pot, or agree with its legalization you cant be smart, correct?

yakish
02-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Audi Kid
Fuck that! Smoking is all toxins. weed is natural.........haha
idiot:guns:

rage2
02-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Ya but weed has pretty bad long term effects too, look at ozzy osbourne!

Dude, it's not the weed that's made him like that. The coke, acid, much harder shit.

One of our forum members is one of the smartest mofus I know... he smokes on weekdays. Crazy whiteys! :D

rage2
02-10-2003, 10:20 PM
I'm more interested in when the government will start selling weed in corner stores than when it becomes legal.

I personally don't think it will be for sale for a long time, but I don't know any facts about the process....

That won't happen, they're DECRIMINALIZING the posession of marijuana, not LEGALIZING it. There's a difference :D.

Weapon_R
02-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That won't happen, they're DECRIMINALIZING the posession of marijuana, not LEGALIZING it. There's a difference :D.

PLEASE explain this one....

fcuk_it
02-10-2003, 10:21 PM
their not gonna legalize it, but their gonna decriminalize it, so instead of jailtime for weed, you'll juss get a fine and they'll take away your stash! haha

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 10:37 PM
If you smoke pot, or agree with its legalization you cant be smart, correct?

I didn't say that. But in my experience, everyone that I knew in HS that was into smoking weed, are here several years later, doing the exact same thing they did in HS. Which is doing nothing as far as higher education, and careers are concerned, and smoking weed all day.

There's no way you're going to convince me that smoking weed is a good thing. The legal problems that could arise from getting caught with marijuana is enough to keep me away. Nevermind what the stuff is proven to do to your body.

I like having a scholarship, an M3, and a steady stream of money coming from home. I wouldn't even think of taking the risk of having a blemished record, decreasing the chances of me getting a good job after school. Would I risk it all for a brief period of what some people call pleasure?

Hell no.

rage2
02-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by fcuk_it
their not gonna legalize it, but their gonna decriminalize it, so instead of jailtime for weed, you'll juss get a fine and they'll take away your stash! haha

And you won't have a record... it'll be the same as Jaywalking :D.

max_boost
02-10-2003, 11:22 PM

I didn't say that. But in my experience, everyone that I knew in HS that was into smoking weed, are here several years later, doing the exact same thing they did in HS. Which is doing nothing as far as higher education, and careers are concerned, and smoking weed all day.

There's no way you're going to convince me that smoking weed is a good thing. The legal problems that could arise from getting caught with marijuana is enough to keep me away. Nevermind what the stuff is proven to do to your body.

I like having a scholarship, an M3, and a steady stream of money coming from home. I wouldn't even think of taking the risk of having a blemished record, decreasing the chances of me getting a good job after school. Would I risk it all for a brief period of what some people call pleasure?

Hell no.

You raised some excellent points! But the American system deals with drugs much more seriously than Canada. I don't think Bush is very happy with Canada's stance on drugs. I believe it will hamper our already somewhat strained relations.

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 11:23 PM
It's the system, but more so my family, and the way they would look at me after something like that. Believe me, I'd MUCH rather deal with the cops than my family, in ANY situation. LOL.

max_boost
02-10-2003, 11:27 PM
It's the system, but more so my family, and the way they would look at me after something like that. Believe me, I'd MUCH rather deal with the cops than my family, in ANY situation. LOL.

Are you asian? I would get shot and disowned if they ever found out I smoked, did any sort of drugs, piercings, or tattoos.....:rofl:

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 11:34 PM
No, I'm a white boy. But my father is very strict when it comes to things like that. He grew up in the lower east side of Manhattan, a very TOUGH neighborhood back then, but despite that he rose above it and became successful in life.

If it was found out that I was doing drugs, which I'm not, he'd look down on me as a coward, as a person who can't deal with life's menial problems. For me, it's about having respect for myself, and getting respect from those around me.

He was very tough on me during my teen years, but I feel that I'm a better person now than I would've been, because of that.

Facing all of these consequences, and then some, for smoking weed...well let's just say I don't deem it as something that is worth my time or effort. And according to people I've talked to, it's not so great to begin with...

ninjak84
02-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Decriminalizing is just a step though. Just like alcohol.
First, you were arrested for selling it illegally, and soon there were stores dedicated to selling it legally.

MaYzE
02-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Are you asian? I would get shot and disowned if they ever found out I smoked, did any sort of drugs, piercings, or tattoos.....:rofl:

Lets see here..... Well I smoke, got a big ass tattoo on my back, and have 2 holes in my ear for earrings..... Man am I glad Im not you Sam! :)

THREE40SEVEN
02-11-2003, 01:18 AM

Hell no.
The problem is you see it as a "drug" because your society and family says it is so. What about alcohol? It DIRECTLY causes DEATH through driving under the influence, liver disease, violence and SO many others, yet im sure your father would deem it OK to drink in moderation because society says so.
Think for yourself...... and while you're thinking, tell me about the bad things that "it does to your body". The THC compound is actually GOOD for your body, and it has great anti-inflammitory qualities, along with many other medicinal uses. Does beer have ALL that? Do some research.
And you cant smoke some every once in a while and be successful? Pffffffff. I know im not the only exception.

The "potheads" you knew from highschool probably had bad self images, or other problems growing up. My buddy in toronto smokes an ounce a week, and pulls a's in university. I wonder if you could ace university drunk......

Ya know what i heard? Smoking pot turns you into the DEVIL :devil: Just like to 1950 propoganda videos stated..... Just like the most recent US anti drug(pot) commercial about smoking pot and PREGNANCY?? Give me a fucking break. Im sure most of you have the best "game" when stoned. HELLO!!!! Last time i checked, DRINKING caused the most "slippage" in the fucking/cheating department...

EDIT: one more thing- the friends you knew from high school- yeah-they have no motivation. I can list of 20 of my friends from over the years that have never touched the "evil" marijuana, and are STILL sitting on their asses waiting for life to handed to them on a silver platter.

ninjak84
02-11-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

Yo man, chill. Just because Glowrider doesn't smoke weed, doesn't mean you have to jump all over him.

THREE40SEVEN
02-11-2003, 01:54 AM

Yo man, chill. Just because Glowrider doesn't smoke weed, doesn't mean you have to jump all over him.
The "intellectual powerhouse" comment i didn't like.
I am not saying he HAS TO smoke, just maybe think a little before he generalizes all people who smoke as dumbasses.
And besides, i stated my opinions and facts. I didnt attack him directly, just attacked the common thoughts and sterotype of non smokers towards smokers.

GTS Jeff
02-11-2003, 02:10 AM
Ya, its legal to have 30 grams on you (which is alot) annd all they will do is throw it out.

Laurier

errr really? can someone else confirm this? if its true thats good news!

If you believe what you buy is 100% natural, you are a moron.

Even so, the most dangerous element of cigarettes, the tar from the tobacco plants, is even more prevelant in marijuana plants. Better find another argument.

yep. any burnt plant material makes tar.

Ben
02-11-2003, 02:28 AM
but Beer is Liquid Bread, its good for you, haha

Glowrider
02-11-2003, 09:52 AM
The problem is you see it as a "drug" because your society and family says it is so. What about alcohol? It DIRECTLY causes DEATH through driving under the influence, liver disease, violence and SO many others, yet im sure your father would deem it OK to drink in moderation because society says so.

I don't drink either. Why? Because I've seen what alcohol can do to people, and again I choose not to get caught up in that. I'm more into being aware of my surroundings, and having a general knowledge of whats going on, as opposed to being all fucked up and stumbling around without any real idea of the things that are going on around me.

What does it do to your body? Same thing cigarettes do. The tar is there, same as with cigarettes. I don't smoke cigarettes either. Why? Their bad for your health, and nothing good can come from them. I don't smoke weed for the same reasons. I don't have glaucoma or any other problems that I'd need any sort of anti-inflammatory drug. And if I did, I would go to a doctor and get something prescribed to me.

just maybe think a little before he generalizes all people who smoke as dumbasses.

I never said "all people who smoke weed are dumbasses". Please stop putting words in my mouth.

I can list of 20 of my friends from over the years that have never touched the "evil" marijuana, and are STILL sitting on their asses waiting for life to handed to them on a silver platter.

Yeah, so can I. But that doesn't have anything to do with the people that did smoke weed, and aren't doing anything with their lives.

I once had a friend ask me "Why don't you smoke?", he isn't a very smart guy, and I didn't feel like getting into an argument with him. I replied, "I want to be successful, I want a lot of money, and a Ferrari 550 Maranello...I believe that smoking weed would hinder that.". He then said to me, "You don't think I can be successful?" I said "no"...to which he replied, "Selling weed...I can make $80,000 in 3 months."

I laughed to myself when he said that. A year later, he's still in the gutter. Go figure.

You are right, I view it as a drug because society and my government has deemed it so. I don't have a problem with this. I'm perfectly fine obeying the laws that the US government has set forth.

I suppose if I had a problem with it, I could always move somewhere else. But why the hell would I want to do that? I love living in the States. We have our problems, as everyone else does. But I feel that the pro's outweigh the con's.

Dirty_SOHC
02-11-2003, 10:12 AM

haha I'm only half asian and ..my parents know I smoke, but not the tattoo I had for 5 years now...:nut: They would kill me

redec
02-11-2003, 11:34 AM
OK...I gotta join in...

What does it do to your body? Same thing cigarettes do. The tar is there, same as with cigarettes.

It does not do the same thing cigarettes do. Cigarettes are highly chemically addictive. Pot is not. Not only is the amount of tar in a joint less than that of a cigarrette, but a typical weed smoker would not smoke anywhere near as much in a day as a typical cigarrette smoker would (if you do, you must have some really shitty stuff). Lets also not forget that pot does not have to be burned, it can be vaporized, which means 0% tar intake.....I do not believe that is possible with tobacco. Physically, tobacco and alcohol are both much worse for you than pot.

And just for the record I smoked quite a bit of pot in highschool, and still do today, and I'm doing better professionally and financially than anyone else I know my age.

ScCab
02-11-2003, 11:44 AM
dah....I toke weed....dah
do it make me dumb? dah:nut: :rofl:

mrmattyk
02-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by ScCab
dah....I toke weed....dah
do it make me dumb dah:nut: :rofl:

I dont think it makes you dumb. I think it makes you fat. I've heard my friends talking about smoking up and eating 2 bags of oreos and half a pizza.

I am not a user of drugs, nor have I tried. All I can say is weed is not bad depending on who you are. If you use it as a crutch to get you through life, and/or an escape that is wrong. If you are out to smoke every once in a while, and giggle at a movie with Norm McDonald then all the power to you. :thumbsup:

redec
02-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

Ya, its legal to have 30 grams on you (which is alot) annd all they will do is throw it out.

Laurier

errr really? can someone else confirm this? if its true thats good news!

No this is not true. In the new proposed legislation (not current laws) 30 grams is where possession becomes trafficing....under current laws 30 grams is enough to give you a little jail time, not to mention a criminal record...under the new legislation 30 grams will get you a ticket, and your weed will be confiscated. Under the new legislation, anything over 30 grams will still get you some good ass-rapin.

buh_buh
02-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by redec
And just for the record I smoked quite a bit of pot in highschool, and still do today, and I'm doing better professionally and financially than anyone else I know my age.
cocky bastard:thumbsdow :rofl:

redec
02-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by mrmattyk
I dont think it makes you dumb. I think it makes you fat.

:werd:

redec
02-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

cocky bastard:thumbsdow :rofl:

bwahahhaa :D

ScCab
02-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by redec

bwahahhaa :D

so your new name is "Fat Bastard":confused:

max_boost
02-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Look at the NFL and NBA, I bet you half them brothers smoke weed.....yet they millionaires! haha

buh_buh
02-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by ScCab

so your new name is "Fat Bastard":confused:
that's gay fat bastard.:D
wanna hook up cause I swing that way!!!!

Look at the NFL and NBA, I bet you half them brothers smoke weed.....yet they millionaires! haha
I don't think Tracy Mcgrady has ever been sober.:rofl:

rage2
02-11-2003, 12:28 PM

uhh... dude, wrong forum. Go to Ask Leo. :barf: :barf:

buh_buh
02-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by rage2

uhh... dude, wrong forum. Go to Ask Leo. :barf: :barf:
BASTARDS EDITED MY POST!!!!!!

Weapon_R
02-11-2003, 12:36 PM

:werd:

LOL you remind me of myself. Fuck the cops, Fuck the courts, if I were to ever get arrested, it's my dad i'd worry about :rofl:

He reminds me of that dad in F&F, who slaps his son after he gets arrested. Hahha same idea. I could totally see my dad pushing the cops away to kick my ass!

THREE40SEVEN
02-11-2003, 12:40 PM

Fair enough

redec
02-11-2003, 02:23 PM

bwahahah....no....thanks for the offer though :rofl: :rofl:

ninjak84
02-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Well I just talked to a local policeman. He said so far, any possession is still illegal, and the new legislation would make possession of up to an ounce only a minor offence, resulting in a fine. He doesn't know when this will happen, but things are changing so often that officers are taking it on a day-by-day basis.
He also said that should the "fine system" be put in, officers probably wouldn't even bother writing a ticket if you were caught with anything under 5 grams of weed. He said it would be like speeding 5 over the limit, and you would just have it confiscated with a warning.

Nothing we didn't know already though....

T5_X
02-11-2003, 03:44 PM
This conversation has come up before....... probably a few times

Originally posted by Ranger_X31

The brain has natural THC receptors, the actual neurotransmitter is called anandamide. The main areas of these receptors seems to be in the limbic system, basal ganglia and cerebellum.

In the limbic system, the hippocampus is responsible for short term memory, that is why people tend to be forgetful with short term memory while under the influence of THC. The role of anadamide in the limbic system is thought to be the main controlling factor of what is known as a "selective memory" thus it will inhibit converting the short term memory of something to long term. This is why we remember lots in short term, but forget within a few minutes. If it wasn't for anandamide, our brains would literally be overloaded. Another region of the limbic system, the amygdala serves mainly in strong emotion. Anandamide could be responsible for inhibiting an overload of intense emotion in this region of the brain, but that's not clear. THC interrupts processes in this region, and thus has an effect on emotions (though the exact effect is not known)

The basal ganglia and cerebellum are responsible for coordination and balance in movement. Because there are a larger number of anandamide receptors here, THC mimicks the neurotransmitter and binds to these sites, disrupting balance and coordination.

As for side effects after use? Since THC is immiscible in water, it takes a while to leave the system, though not as long as ppl usually think. The resulting effect is simply a retention of the chemical in small amounts, so it's still effecting your brain...... not much at all though. Decreased sperm production takes place, and your immune system activity is decreased, after chronic use stops, reversal of these symptoms is quick.

Most of what is out there for ppl's views on marijauna are simply old propoganda, innacurate or wrong. Though there is still much to be learned about this drug, the majority of data suggests that recreational use is probably less physiologically and mentally damaging than alcohol use. In my personal opinion, using it in moderation is absolutly fine. Therapeutical effects include treatments for side effects of radiation therapy, stimulate apetite in cancer and aids patients, and treat MS and glaucoma. THC may potentially also reduce malignancy in breast cancer cells and help reduce secondary brain damage caused by stroke.

As for what should happen legally? I believe that decriminalization is by far and away the best strategy. That will prevent extreme use, and a lot of anger from our ignorant neighbors down south. It will also prevent corporations coming in and selling the plant laced with rocket fuel, cyanide and everything else they also use in cigarettes to make ppl more addicted. Another benefit is less tying up of the legal system and jails, and since they can hand out tickets for ppl caught, then there is an increased source of revenue for our government.

van
02-11-2003, 03:58 PM
I don't know about you guys but without marijuana, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Bone Thugs and so many other rap artists would be broke-ass. hahaha

D-MON
02-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Personally I think that Marijuana is just as bad as cigarettes are. the only difference is that the majority of people who smoke cigs smoke more often than those who smoke the cheebs. Sure cigs have more nasty additives in them but your smoking the weed with little to no filter on it, and weed physically makes you lazy. It destroys...sorry....slows down inhabitions and ambitions. Cigarettes do not. Unless your a pro athlete. But then you shouldn't be smoking either of them. Alcohol, Mary Jane and cigarettes are all physically bad for you. But they are all pleasurable to one person or another. Who's to tell me or any one else what I/they should or shouldn't do if I/they enjoy it. (Within Reason)

three.eighteen.
02-11-2003, 08:02 PM
i smoke regularly, in fact i prefer it to drinking, im in university, i had lost drive and amibition for a while, but shit happens and you get going again...so im not sure if its the pot