PDA

View Full Version : How well does a turbo work with tiptronic auto?

TomTom
02-10-2003, 10:16 PM
is the delay bad? is there more delay than with a 5spd

im looking into audi A4 's and noticed some were saying auto, 5 spd and tiptronic

LUDELVR
02-10-2003, 10:35 PM
from what I hear, it's usually around a second difference...pretty much the same as N/A. But don't quote me on that!! :dunno: hahaha

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 10:40 PM
I'd build the tranny if I were you, just to be on the safe side.

rage2
02-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Turbo Autos:

Disasvantages:

- usually one less gear than the manual counterpart. Only bad if you're lacking TQ with your turbo setup.

- TQ converter might not lock, causing loss of power. Depends on the car.

- Can't launch at high rpms. Again, only bad if you have no low end tq.

- People will make fun of you. Search for automatic vs manual, tons of threads will show up :D.

Advantages:

- full throttle shifts, meaning your turbo never spools down, no lag on shifts.

Glowrider
02-10-2003, 11:51 PM
I met a guy that had a Lexus GS300 sporting a 2JZ-GTE in the engine bay, putting down somewhere in the neighborhood of 600hp. He said it best...

"Just put it in drive, and woop ass."

D'z Nutz
02-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

- People will make fun of you. Search for automatic vs manual, tons of threads will show up :D.

Or a search on "max_boost" :rofl: j/k MB!

CRXguy
02-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Or a search on "max_boost" :rofl: j/k MB!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TomTom
02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
im more interested in the diffence in the tiptronic, i would want to get that if theres no downfall, i remember in kennys slk it was tiptronic shifting, seemed fun still and lots of power (i know amg...) still..

or am i wrong and all models are tiptronic auto's? no auto standalone?

rage2
02-11-2003, 10:08 AM
What car are you talking about? The AMG tranny is very different from your run of the mill auto trannies...

mrmattyk
02-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by TomTom
im more interested in the diffence in the tiptronic, i would want to get that if theres no downfall, i remember in kennys slk it was tiptronic shifting, seemed fun still and lots of power (i know amg...) still..

or am i wrong and all models are tiptronic auto's? no auto standalone?

I believe Kenny's car is supercharged :dunno:

HRD2PLZ
02-11-2003, 11:48 AM
all tiptronics are auto's if thats what you are asking. It is basically a 5-speed automatic with a mode allowing you to shift like a standard, without a clutch. Our Passat has this but its not really any different from any regular automatic transmission. Tiptronic transmission was optional in some VW's and standard in most Audi's I believe.

turboMiata
02-11-2003, 12:34 PM
Most automatic trannies have a longer gear ratio compared to manual. You don't want too close of a ratio if you are turbocharging the car. I know a lot of turbo miata owners who swap out their brand new 6spd for 5spd because the keep hittin the redline (not exactly a bad thing).

Sometimes, the compression on the automatics are a tad bit lower as well.

R-Audi
02-11-2003, 08:29 PM
It comes stock with a Turbo ( 1.8T ) I believe the auto comes with the Tiptronic as standard, but I'm not sure. If you want quicker shifts from it, you can always get the 'tip chip' that increases the speed of the tiptronic shifts