PDA

View Full Version : written off car?

air_mikey
09-28-2005, 10:59 AM
my friend just bought a 03 rsx that has been written off before but he never knew. the seller did telll him there was an accidentbut never that it was a salvage. on the bill of sale it says sold as is and no warranty. do you have to by law tell the buyer it was a salvage or is it the buyer's responsability to check it out?

Weapon_R
09-28-2005, 11:07 AM
From Amvic:

I think the owner of a vehicle I’m interested in buying is not telling the truth about the car’s history. Is that legal?

No, it is illegal. Give us the pertinent details and we will investigate.

Write them and find out, but I believe that it is illegal to sell the car without disclosing that information. Of course, its your word against his, since its clearly labelled on any registration that the car is 'repaired', and he can easily claim that you were fully informed prior to purchasing.

lastprodigy
09-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a car me and my friend checked out. After noticing the car did not even have a rock chip on it and has 90K km in 2 years I knew something was up. He insisted it had only been in a minor fender bender but he eventually cracked so we got out of there. We looked at 3 straight rsx's that ended up being salvaged, and a simple $20 some dollar registry check told us this. Remember to get that done next time! I hope you get your money back though! Definately talk to Amvic.

finboy
09-28-2005, 11:57 AM
let this be a lesson man, run a check through the registries, esspecially if its a new car that you are blowing a ton of cash on. good luck to your buddy, hopefully he can get this resolved.

this reminds me of the rsx that came into the body shop i used to work at, it was roled, the whole front end, doors, roof, etc. had to be replaced and insurance still covered it. i would hate to be the next person to buy that car :nut:

SugeTek
09-28-2005, 03:12 PM
I got a question? wuts so bad about buying a written off car if its been properly repaired?

TheBenzo
09-28-2005, 03:15 PM
resale.. what is "properly fixed" when it would have required more than the value of the car to fix it.. it's not like someone forked over the $20,000 to fix it... so I would say nothing is really properly fixed.

SugeTek
09-28-2005, 03:31 PM
that makes sense TheBenzo. but ive personally seen cars that end up get'n written off when they have only 3-5k damage on it (fender). i dont understand why insurance writtes these off, i think its because they end up selling it to some company and somehow turn a profit, but i dont know that for a fact. maybe i can do some googl'n and see why some cars get written off when the damage isnt that significant

90Tegra
09-28-2005, 06:22 PM
im pretty sure when u go register a car u have to buy the history report.

Jynx
09-28-2005, 07:04 PM
ive had terrible luck trying 2 find an rsx....at least 50% of the ones for sale are write offs.

crazytou
09-28-2005, 10:37 PM
where can you buy these wrote off cars in calgary???? is there an online website or something???

3G
09-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by crazytou
where can you buy these wrote off cars in calgary???? is there an online website or something???

impact auctions but u have to have a bodyshop or something

SugeTek
09-28-2005, 11:26 PM
u need to have a licence to buy them. the reason why i was asking is cuz my uncle has the licence in Vancity and was thinkin about sellin them here cuz the markets bigger, id be the middle man. but i dont want to 'cheat' ppl. so i wanna understand wut the big deal is w/ buyin salvaged cars.

scenario:
[we being the insurance co.]

Let's say it will cost $8,000 to fix the damage to a car worth $21,000 before the collision. On the surface, it might seem less costly to fix than to write off. After all, fixing the vehicle costs $13,000 less than paying out its value.

But let's say we'd get back about $15,000 salvage if we wrote it off & auctioned it.

Now, writing off this car becomes the least costly option. Writing it off costs the public insurance fund $21,000 minus the $15,000 we'll get back for salvage-total $6,000. On the other hand, fixing it will cost $8,000.

:dunno: Result of my googl'n:thumbsup: