PDA

View Full Version : New Volvo S80 to feature automatic braking as part of cruise-control

nick1111
09-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Volvo next year will unveil a new safety system that can detect if a car is on an unavoidable collision course and apply the brakes automatically.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/?p=54

“If you take your eyes off the road and miss the car in front braking heavily, it will warn the driver two or three seconds before a collision,” said Jonas Ekmark, Volvo’s active safety expert.

lastprodigy
09-28-2005, 12:13 PM
i guess all these features are great....but as long as they arent able to comabt driver stupidity completely...then nothing else is possible :banghead:

core_upt
09-28-2005, 12:26 PM
lots fo luxury cars have it - ie the lexus gs300/430 and infiniti m35/35x/45

C4S
09-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Is it similiar to those "active-cruise-control " from BMW and MB etc?

FiveFreshFish
09-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Is it similiar to those "active-cruise-control " from BMW and MB etc?

I think it's similar but inferior. Why doesn't it brake before a collision becomes inevitable? Or am I reading this wrong?

...it will warn the driver two or three seconds before a collision,” said Jonas Ekmark, Volvo’s active safety expert. “If the driver does not respond, it will brake when the collision becomes inevitable.”

dennisaur
09-28-2005, 01:32 PM
nice feature, i just hope that stupid drivers don't use it as a crutch to not be as attentive while driving anymore

benyl
09-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Just another reason for drivers to pay less attention to the road.

Active cruise control is a stupid idea in my mind. It makes driving mindless. Just like lane departure warning systems, you could fall asleep and when the bell rings, wake up, straighten out and go back to sleep.

Vagabond142
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
We need more cars like the S2000 AP1... when those came out, quite a few people crashed them because they are razor-edge cars... you HAVE to be awake to drive them. The new AP2 and AP2.5's aren't so razor-edged (with the AP2.5 (aka the 2006 model year) getting stability control)...

Ah well, for a luxury vehicle or a family vehicle, when passenger distractions are likely, that is a good idea. But you have to weigh that against stupidity of humans, which is infinite + 1, so it's kinda a lose-lose situation for us good or even respectable drivers out there