PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Toyota Matrix car good or no?"

AcidicRage
02-11-2003, 12:31 AM
I'm planning to get one of these as my first car within the next month. I will be probably getting a regular silver basic 2003 Toyota Matrix with no body kit w/ automatic windows (no lower bottom sporty parts) because my parents say it scratches easily when you bump a hill or something. I can always add it on later. I've heard just some good and bad things about this car. I've heard that this car also makes loud noise? And the guages and ergonomics sometimes hard to read in daylight? Well, I just want to know if any of you have a Matrix already or not tell me your opinions. I'm just getting the basic one with power windows, no XR or XRS models. And this will be my *FIRST* car! :-)

Stratus_Power
02-11-2003, 12:34 AM
I think it is an awesome car. the price is good, the handling is good, the space is good.
I heard that the red gauges can be some what hard to read at bright day light (not impossible to for sure), and since its silver, it does reflects onto the windshield. but from wat i heard from pppl who actually owns it, it only reflects to top very top part of the windshield, not very visible!

I personally like the design of the matrix too ( as compare to vibe). it doenst seem like a mini-wagon.

AcidicRage
02-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Hmm.... so considering the glare and my "beginner" driver skills, do you think its a little bit dangerous for me to get it?

Weapon_R
02-11-2003, 12:39 AM
My friend has one, no complaints so far. In fact, I sort of like it. It serves it's purpose well, although its very slow. It is so much nicer than the vibe.

szw
02-11-2003, 12:41 AM
I don't like it! No reason really..just don't! Some info on the car?

CLiVE
02-11-2003, 12:43 AM
A good buy for the price IMO. I was thinking one might make a good second car eventually. Drives nice, not a lot of power. Definately a decent first car...

Hakkola
02-11-2003, 12:46 AM
Honestly I kinda like it for the price range, if you're looking for a new car, a first car at that, in that price range I'd say go for it, I'd much rather buy a slightly used car though, especially for a first car, I don't see the point of getting something brand new.

It'd be a lot easier and cheaper to get the kit right away wouldn't it?

Stratus_Power
02-11-2003, 12:46 AM
the glare shoudn't affect you.. theres only one way to find out.. test drive it. but i think its a Very good first car, its not super fast but it has enuf power to get you around ( imagine driving a corolla.. same engine)
Just go test drive it!

and yeh try to find it used. saw some floating around and consider it "save the GST" :P

RiceCake
02-11-2003, 12:48 AM
I'm pretty sure its powered by the same engine as the corolla. Its not bad and great on gas... Haha, I have 2 of the previous generation corollas sitting in my garage. :)

Stratus_Power
02-11-2003, 12:50 AM
http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=21KZTCW16926867&rubno=4000&pa=4&pr=1&cregion=1001

get something like that a used private sale! its like cheaper for a XR model!

RiceCake
02-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=21KZTCW16926867&rubno=4000&pa=4&pr=1&cregion=1001

get something like that a used private sale! its like cheaper for a XR model!

shit its only feb and that 03 has 17 xxx clicks on it? :eek:

szw
02-11-2003, 01:01 AM
I clicked the link and got a used 03 WRX for 37grand..heh

what is the price for each trim?

Stratus_Power
02-11-2003, 01:01 AM
wrx!!! :O suppose to be a Matrix XR for 21k

try again
http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=12QEMGM11928852&rubno=4000&pa=4&pr=1&cregion=1001

CLiVE
02-11-2003, 01:09 AM
wrx!!! :O suppose to be a Matrix XR for 21k

try again
http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=12QEMGM11928852&rubno=4000&pa=4&pr=1&cregion=1001

what the hell, first time I clicked the link it was a matrix. Then a Wrx, now a rsx...

szw
02-11-2003, 01:13 AM
you can't link canadatrader ads like that, they keep jumping.

ecstasy_civic
02-11-2003, 01:14 AM
that site is fucked man, i was looking at rx7's then it went to the supras and finally an s10 page. i was like WTF!?:dunno:

CLiVE
02-11-2003, 01:18 AM
the site was down earlier today for "upgrades"...about time. It has to be the slowest site ever...

ecstasy_civic
02-11-2003, 01:21 AM
no doubt! it took me like 20 minutes to look at 15 rx7 ads. hurtin if you ask me!

aZnBlooD
02-11-2003, 01:49 AM
i like the look of the car...but as a first car i wouldnt IMO...i would just get a used one.....i think i remember someone saying this one..."you never appreciate a nice car, until you drive a shitty one"...something like that...

but hell, it would be a nice first car

AcidicRage
02-11-2003, 01:56 AM
The thing is my parents will not let me get a CRAPPIER car... You may seem like "Wow!" but I do infact want a crappier car. I wouldn't get a USED one because I hate use cars.. they break more, plus I just dislike having to drive something that others drove in the past. It gives me an eerie feeling; you can say I'm weird :P... but, I would rather get a crappier, but still new car. My parents insist me on getting a bigger one. They dont want me getting 4-door-compacts.

Btw, do you think the Matrix without the body kit looks girly or a family car? I can ALWAYS add it on later on...but for now, I can't have it.

Ben
02-11-2003, 01:59 AM
its your car, you decide!

There are alot of Anti VW people on this site, and I live VW, so thats my choice and no one can convince me otherwise. Your the one that has to drive your decision, so make it for yourself, on the forum you will hear everyones opinions, which may not always be a good thing.

szw
02-11-2003, 02:00 AM
personally I'd get a smaller one. I have a fairly small 4 door. All I really need is a 2seater and kinda regret not getting something smaller.

But since your not allowed to...I would go for a Subaru Impreza TS wagon 5-spd. May not look that great stock, but its cheap, good engine, and lots of options to make it look great or perform great or both. Cheap too.

ExitSpeed
02-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake

shit its only feb and that 03 has 17 xxx clicks on it? :eek:

Except that 2003 model came out in Jan 2002....plenty of time to rack up the kms.

CLiVE
02-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by AcidicRage
The thing is my parents will not let me get a CRAPPIER car... You may seem like "Wow!" but I do infact want a crappier car. I wouldn't get a USED one because I hate use cars.. they break more, plus I just dislike having to drive something that others drove in the past. It gives me an eerie feeling; you can say I'm weird :P... but, I would rather get a crappier, but still new car. My parents insist me on getting a bigger one. They dont want me getting 4-door-compacts.

Btw, do you think the Matrix without the body kit looks girly or a family car? I can ALWAYS add it on later on...but for now, I can't have it.

if you plan on getting that kit eventually....just get it now..

Stratus_Power
02-11-2003, 02:31 AM
hey i clicked on the link and its RSX .. not a bad deal ! 27k for a Type S!!!
if u think 17k is alot for one year, search for a Type S, 2002 model, 42000k ! wow!

AcidicRage
02-12-2003, 05:51 PM
I've just talked with my friends and they say that getting 4WD w/ 123HP is useless because no matter how powerful the 4WD wheels are, your horsepower limits on how much your 4WD can do. So basically then, I guess since 4WD = 123HP & 2WD = 130HP... if I do actually get the 4wd, my car would weigh more + heavier = therefore slower, and the 123HP won't do much to 4WD. Is this true? My cousin has a 200+ HP and he has 4WD. He also tells me don't get 4WD unless your car is 180hp or over or else you're just slowing it down.

GTS Jeff
02-12-2003, 05:58 PM
I've just talked with my friends and they say that getting 4WD w/ 123HP is useless because no matter how powerful the 4WD wheels are, your horsepower limits on how much your 4WD can do. So basically then, I guess since 4WD = 123HP & 2WD = 130HP... if I do actually get the 4wd, my car would weigh more + heavier = therefore slower, and the 123HP won't do much to 4WD. Is this true? My cousin has a 200+ HP and he has 4WD. He also tells me don't get 4WD unless your car is 180hp or over or else you're just slowing it down. well 130hp will definitely be faster in a car with 2wd compared to 4wd...

its faster BUT it is also harder to drive in the winter! so who cares if 4wd is slower, get it anyways cuz u will have more traction

three.eighteen.
02-12-2003, 06:02 PM
yeah but the matrix isnt a performance car...4wd is good in any situation if what you want is traction, 4wd started as a means to traction...not to performance

AcidicRage
02-12-2003, 06:03 PM
How good IS 123 or 130 hp? Is it average compared to other cars? What about a 123HP with 4WD going UPHILL + Snow/winter? :-) ...can it do it?

three.eighteen.
02-12-2003, 06:30 PM
130ish hp thru a 4wd drive train, youre looking at prolly about on the shy side of 100whp at each wheel just because of drive train loss. And the matrix in all configs is roughtly 2700 lbs, you wont be going fast...im guessing 0-60 in the region of 11-13 sec

RiceCake
02-12-2003, 11:33 PM
hey i clicked on the link and its RSX .. not a bad deal ! 27k for a Type S!!!
if u think 17k is alot for one year, search for a Type S, 2002 model, 42000k ! wow!

Yeah what's sad is that I rack on what seems to be 4000 kms a month now... :banghead: :(

GTS Jeff
02-13-2003, 12:41 AM
if u want a fast car, the matrix shouldnt even be on your list.

AcidicRage
02-17-2003, 11:02 PM
I have another question about 4WD. From what I've heard is that when you buy a four-wheel-drive car, the whole time the car is in 2wheeldrive UNTIL you have to manually press like a shift or a button that changes the tires to 4 tires instead of 2. All this time I thought it would be automatic, like if you're moving anywhere, all four wheels are moving at same time. And I've heard some people say then the Toyota Matrix 4WD Base Auto has a button/shift so all the time it's in 2WD, you have to press 4WD button. If that's so, what is the point of getting a 4WD then? Some other people tells me that the car is automatic, so it'll be 4WD the whole time... can someone please clear up my confusion?

FiveFreshFish
02-17-2003, 11:13 PM
How the 4WD system works depends on the model and manufacturer.

For the 4WD Matrix, it is a "Fully Automatic V-flex 4WD" according to their website.

AcidicRage
02-17-2003, 11:27 PM
What is V-Flex? I know nothing about cars. Please explain.

FiveFreshFish
02-17-2003, 11:32 PM
from Autonet.ca
The Matrix 4WD's V-Flex drive system acts just like a FWD in normal operation. However, slippage of a front drive wheel causes a viscous coupling in the drivetrain to activate 4WD, transferring up to fifty per cent of power to the rear wheels. When both front wheels have traction again, all the power goes back to the front wheels.

The FWD operation saves fuel and the 4WD only kicks in when it's needed. This is similar to Honda's CRV, but iirc, different from the RAV4.

Glowrider
02-17-2003, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't call it a bad car. It's probably good for messing around town in. But I wouldn't consider it as a street racer/track car.

fast95pony
02-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Why not just visit a Toyota dealer and get all the info. And while you are there , take a test drive and ask LOTS of questions.

If you are a new driver and this is your first car,traction and low horsepower are probably a good thing.

I would suggest you visit as many dealerships as you can , and take test drives in any cars that are in your price range.
You may find something you like that you didn't consider.
Then narrow your choices down and check the insurance premiums for each car.

Or maybe your parents are buying the car,and have already made up their minds.
:dunno:

AcidicRage
02-17-2003, 11:59 PM
"However, slippage of a front drive wheel causes a viscous coupling in the drivetrain to activate 4WD"

Do you mean slippage as suddenly the wheel becomes slippery and crashes? Or what do you mean? lol..

FiveFreshFish
02-18-2003, 12:03 AM
"However, slippage of a front drive wheel causes a viscous coupling in the drivetrain to activate 4WD"

Do you mean slippage as suddenly the wheel becomes slippery and crashes? Or what do you mean? lol..

In this context, it means wheel spin like when you're trying to accelerate, not sideways slippage.

Glowrider
02-18-2003, 12:03 AM
When a front wheel slips, the rear wheels grip.

AcidicRage
02-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Would you say the V-Flex is good or bad? I've also heard it's a crappier version than a "AWD" system.

That.Guy.S30
02-18-2003, 11:20 AM
the matrix is known for noise.. somethin about the way they built it. ones at the gauges.. easy to fix with some tape.. and the other is at the side door. also easily fixed with some tape.
go to www.matrixowners.com i was thinkin of gettin a matrix too but decided to go for a subie!.. but other then that its a cool lookin car. and if u want some more power to it i heard trd is makin a super/turbo chrager for the base models. i think not too sure.

CRXguy
02-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Matrix looks good in magazines and stuff, but when I saw it in person, I gave it a :thumbsdow

How about the Protege5's? I had one last year, and it was a really fun car. Personally, it looks 1000x better than the Matrix.

Dr. Evil
02-18-2003, 11:58 AM
tell me your opinions.
IMHO, Matrix=:thumbsdow I'd get an Subaru Impreza sport wagon (no WRX since the parents probably wouldn't agree to all that speed).

Smartiepants
02-18-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm sorta partial to the VW I got my golf for ~21 so I'd go for it. I looked at the Protege5, Matrix, Civic. I have to say honestly I liked the VW the best, hence why I bought it. The matrix sorta looks queerish to me, sorta like someone tried way too hard to make it look good. The protege5 was my next choice but it seemed to be a bit cheaper made, alot of base cars don't come with things like ABS and stuff which is all worth the money. The mazda seemed to have a bit too much plastic for my liking and visibility wasn't as good. The matrix had the biggest visibility problem though.

My ratings (for cars in the $ range)

Matrix 7/10
Protege5 8/10
Civic 6/10
VW 8.5/10

That.Guy.S30
02-18-2003, 11:29 PM
if hes gettin a base matrix that means his price range is around 17-19 thousand. not bad for a first car. not bad at all