PDA

View Full Version : Need advice For a subs and amp

coolest2004
09-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Hi, i'm getting a bd 1001.1 rf very soon and i have currently 2 12" p2, i'm just wondering if this will be a good match or should i get diff subs??? thank you for your advice.

b_t
09-28-2005, 02:38 PM
You should get different subs and not get the amp, since Rockford has gone from being the kingshit car audio brand in the late 1990s to budget, crappy products ever since they went from the 1000a1 (the original Power and Punch series) to the bd series. Everything since then has just gotten worse and worse.

Look into elemental designs (http://www.edesignaudio./com ) they are only an internet botique-style company, so they pay dick all on advertising and don't maintain a storefront and middlemen, so a sub that would absolutely destroy both your two 12s is only $135 brand new with a 3 year transferable warranty. That's the 13Kv2 by the way. I have elemental and can vouch, of all the subs I've owned it is my favorite, and I've owned a lot of shit.

If you want a storebought brand, I'd recommend the new Pioneer SPLs. The model numbers have changed and I can't remember them anymore, but they are only $250 in Calgary and are 1,000 watts RMS and extremely loud and punchy. They will actually take that rated power as well, unlike a Rockford.

Then, I'd recommend anything by Phoenix Gold and then JL Audio, although JL is extremely expensive.

coolest2004
09-28-2005, 03:02 PM
There is no much i can do about the amp since i already paid for it, but about the subs i can still do or i can aalso wait 'till i get the amp and sell amp and subs together, they are easy to sell here in Vancouver, btw the rf amp is the black one no the chrome one, i'm currently running my p2 with a pg qx2350
and the sound is ok, i'd say nice looking amp and good quality amp, but not for subs, i'll rather run my orion mids and tweets with this pg and the p2 with the bd 1000.1, that's bad news since in the reviews for the bd 1000.1 amp ppl gives a very high rating most of the time, well but i guess i'm still kinda old school guy and never tried to look around for the other brands. Thanks. Anyone else???

SWX
09-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't know why everyone is sooo hopped up on elementel the stuff is crap, it's a bunch of surplus parts from other audio manufaturers chucked together and tada you have a sub. There is a reason the other manufacturers are not using the technology any more, it's old, thats why there cheap.

Oh and i've had a lot of other brands too and the Ed stuff was even worst then the HX2's i had from RF. Internet companies are a joke they were started so plp wouldn't have a place to go and bitch about the crap they just bought.

Weapon_R
09-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by SWX
I don't know why everyone is sooo hopped up on elementel the stuff is crap

Wow, there's an understatement if i've EVER read one on this site :eek:

Everything aside, there is NOTHING that comes close to the performance of the eD line. NOTHING you can come up with for under $135 (or even double that, $270) that will sound as good. I go through systems like I go through underwear, and i've never heard anything better for the price. The only others I can think of that aren't overhyped are the Adire Shivas. If you still want mainstream, pick up a pair of Kicker CompVR subs. For about $250ish, you can buy a new one. I prefer them over the Alpine Type Rs as they seem louder and cleaner.

I'd personally use the money you are going to waste on RF, and put it towards an elemental design system. For much less, you can buy an amp and sub and have it shipped here. They are hard to get locally but that is because they are a young company and are still establishing their distribution center. Also, keep in mind that there are dozens of car audio companies that do not sell their products in mainstream stores like Future shop (focal, eD, adire to name a few). Do a search on any popular U.S. car audio site and you will see the reviews regarding eD stereo components!

Since you already have the subs, I assume you're happy with them. That amp, however, is overpriced and probably too much for your subs. From what I have read (I do not consider RF when buying systems), the newer subs are not as well built as the older ones. The older RF amps, however, were very good.

SWX
09-30-2005, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty sure i've played with more products then you, and there are i lot of subs in that price range that would destroy the Ed crap.

brodmeister
10-01-2005, 03:04 AM
personaly i think rockford went to hell as soon as their 03' line came out... hell i had a pair of he2, they pounded compared to p3's.. they are so much crap!

coolest2004
10-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Ok, im buying these from a friend, and i hope i'm not downgrading:

2Kicker Comp CVR12's (dual 2ohm impedence) (2004 model)

thanks for the advice and let me know what you think of these subs.

SWX
10-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by brodmeister
personaly i think rockford went to hell as soon as their 03' line came out... hell i had a pair of he2, they pounded compared to p3's.. they are so much crap!

They went down hill Waaaaaaaaayy before that, i'd say mid to late 90's

Weapon_R
10-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by coolest2004
Ok, im buying these from a friend, and i hope i'm not downgrading:

2Kicker Comp CVR12's (dual 2ohm impedence) (2004 model)

thanks for the advice and let me know what you think of these subs.

Great choice and hardly a downgrade. Those are good subs.

Weapon_R
10-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SWX
I'm pretty sure i've played with more products then you, and there are i lot of subs in that price range that would destroy the Ed crap.

Would you be inclined to name some? Where can I get a sub for under $150cdn that would 'destroy' the eD line?

coolest2004
10-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Are they like way better than my p2's????
or just about the same???

SWX
10-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Diamond Audio D3, Coustic BP, Cerwin-Vega IT or Vega, Image Dynamics, To name a few. If you want to spend a little more MTX 5500 series, Boston G2, Hertz.

Z24_3.1.
10-02-2005, 12:11 AM
IMO if this is the 1st amp and 1st sub ur gunna have id go for 2 12" JL w0s And a kenwood amp

Phat_Tercel_YO!
10-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Why does everyone bash RF and say it's been going downhill for ages?

RF has never been very good sounding... ever. Not SQ stuff at all.

Their amps are more powerful now than ever, and one of the most powerful in the world. Their run of the mill lines is a little weaker then inprevious years, but it just takes a slightly different box to get them to sound super pound. Their higher end subs are still some of the loudest ones around also.

I agree the days of the Punch 40 amps etc seemed so unreal because the rest of car audio was leagues behind, but now that everyone else doesn't suck, that means that RF does now?

I'm not biased... I don't own any RF and haven't for probably a year at least, but I think I'm a little confused by some comments.

SWX
10-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Phat_Tercel_YO!
Why does everyone bash RF and say it's been going downhill for ages?

RF has never been very good sounding... ever. Not SQ stuff at all.

Their amps are more powerful now than ever, and one of the most powerful in the world. Their run of the mill lines is a little weaker then inprevious years, but it just takes a slightly different box to get them to sound super pound. Their higher end subs are still some of the loudest ones around also.

I agree the days of the Punch 40 amps etc seemed so unreal because the rest of car audio was leagues behind, but now that everyone else doesn't suck, that means that RF does now?

I'm not biased... I don't own any RF and haven't for probably a year at least, but I think I'm a little confused by some comments.

That combined with the FACT that they are in huge finachial trouble. The subs would break as soon as you touched them if they were playing and they have a huge failure rate in the Amps. The whole reason they relased a classic line of amps is because they do't have money for R+D to build somthing new.

coolest2004
10-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Well my p2 are going for sale+amp. btw the Kicker subs came
with a sealed box (audiobahn) it's that gonna do???

Weapon_R
10-02-2005, 08:17 PM
yup, that'll be fine. Enjoy the subs.

coolest2004
10-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Thank you all for your inputs.

b_t
10-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by SWX
Diamond Audio D3, Coustic BP, Cerwin-Vega IT or Vega, Image Dynamics, To name a few. If you want to spend a little more MTX 5500 series, Boston G2, Hertz.

BAHAHAHAHA
YOUR AMAZING

You are the BIGGEST idiot I have ever seen on the car audio forum. How far up your ass is your head, exactly? Have you actually listened to those subs and compared them to an eD install? MY GOD, you're an idiot. And when it really comes down to it, not a single one of the subs or even brands you have named offer a three year transferable warranty, so yeah... get out.

SWX
10-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah i have heard them ALL and i have done an install with an eD o series and it sucked, maybe if you left cockring once and a while you may hear other brands too. Better yet why don't you go to CES this coming year and take a look around.

Idiot.

Oh and as for the 3 year warrenty, the eD stuff needs it that why they have it.

Chris @ Mitek
10-04-2005, 09:41 AM
thw

A790
10-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by b_t

BAHAHAHAHA
YOUR AMAZING

You are the BIGGEST idiot I have ever seen on the car audio forum. How far up your ass is your head, exactly? Have you actually listened to those subs and compared them to an eD install? MY GOD, you're an idiot. And when it really comes down to it, not a single one of the subs or even brands you have named offer a three year transferable warranty, so yeah... get out.

Man shut the fuck up.

Just because he disagrees with your recommendation doesn't mean you need to get your panties twisted.

We've all got different preferences and he's just stating his.

So yea... get out.

gonefishing
10-04-2005, 11:22 AM
:drama:

b_t
10-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by A790

Man shut the fuck up.

Just because he disagrees with your recommendation doesn't mean you need to get your panties twisted.

We've all got different preferences and he's just stating his.

So yea... get out.

He works in the industry, supposedly, and he just copies and pastes sales literature off manufacturer's websites and pretends its his own review and opinion. His first post in this section was copied and pasted from MTX - ie. it was total bullshit - and he has not improve in any way since then. He is the first person I have ever hear recommend Cervin Vega for anything other then pure SPL (in which case they always recommend the Stroker). Then he goes on to recommend an MTX sub which costs more and sounds worse, and Hertz. Hertz. He doesn't know shit. I don't even think he works in the industry since insults like calling cochrane cockring are below anybody over the age of 16. He's probably some hack installer at Best Buy who couldn't fab a sub box out of MDF, nevermind make a good genuine recommendation about anything.

He is not the first person I've ever seen bash eD and say they suck (these people do not ever own eD and usually run Sony, Rockford or older Pioneer subs.. or MTX), even though thousands of people think different, one of whom is the reviewer for PASMAG who gives every eD product he reviews absolutely GLOWING reviews, and he knows more then anyone on this forum and has heard more car audio setups then I have, ten times over... and he recommended Hertz, for Christ's sake.

Plus he says that eD subs are cobbled together surplus parts, except I've never seen a flat nomex cone on any other subwoofer, ever (there are a few flat cones, sure, but not nomex ones), the basket was the Venezuela basket which has been used at various times by Resonant Engineering, Incriminator Audio, Digital Designs, and so on, and the motor assembly was developed over a period of a few years. The new subs use a completely different cone, a basket that is custom made for Elemental only (although it resembles the basket from Alumapro) and a motor that was designed by TC Sounds, who are pretty much the ultimate subwoofer manufacturer in the entire world (ask on forums where people are in the know.. like http://www.canadiancaraudio.com/ ..about TC Sounds). This guy has zero credibility. He should, really, get the fuck out.

Canadian 2.5RS
10-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Diamond Audio D3, Coustic BP, Cerwin-Vega IT or Vega, Image Dynamics , To name a few. If you want to spend a little more MTX 5500 series, Boston G2, Hertz.

good luck with that one. I was going to suggest ID but they are far from the $150CAD price range.

SWX
10-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by b_t

He works in the industry, supposedly, and he just copies and pastes sales literature off manufacturer's websites and pretends its his own review and opinion. His first post in this section was copied and pasted from MTX - ie. it was total bullshit - and he has not improve in any way since then. He is the first person I have ever hear recommend Cervin Vega for anything other then pure SPL (in which case they always recommend the Stroker). Then he goes on to recommend an MTX sub which costs more and sounds worse, and Hertz. Hertz. He doesn't know shit. I don't even think he works in the industry since insults like calling cochrane cockring are below anybody over the age of 16. He's probably some hack installer at Best Buy who couldn't fab a sub box out of MDF, nevermind make a good genuine recommendation about anything.

He is not the first person I've ever seen bash eD and say they suck (these people do not ever own eD and usually run Sony, Rockford or older Pioneer subs.. or MTX), even though thousands of people think different, one of whom is the reviewer for PASMAG who gives every eD product he reviews absolutely GLOWING reviews, and he knows more then anyone on this forum and has heard more car audio setups then I have, ten times over... and he recommended Hertz, for Christ's sake.

Plus he says that eD subs are cobbled together surplus parts, except I've never seen a flat nomex cone on any other subwoofer, ever (there are a few flat cones, sure, but not nomex ones), the basket was the Venezuela basket which has been used at various times by Resonant Engineering, Incriminator Audio, Digital Designs, and so on, and the motor assembly was developed over a period of a few years. The new subs use a completely different cone, a basket that is custom made for Elemental only (although it resembles the basket from Alumapro) and a motor that was designed by TC Sounds, who are pretty much the ultimate subwoofer manufacturer in the entire world (ask on forums where people are in the know.. like http://www.canadiancaraudio.com/ ..about TC Sounds). This guy has zero credibility. He should, really, get the fuck out.

Your whole post sounds like a 16 yr old wrote it. Have you ever heard Hertz, There is a reason Audio Concept picked it up. As for not knowing anything all you seem to know about is eD. Take a look around there is a whole world out there. And if someone is looking for a good sub for all round listening there is nothing wrong with the vega stuff it may not be the best sounding, but it does have it's place, they unlike your eD they have been around longer than you've been alive, and it's not because there crap.
As for my first post being from the mtx web-site; 1 why would you still be looking up old shit and 2 which post are you even talking about?

Oh and no i don't work at best buy, but thanks for coming out.
As for credibility i did install for 12 yrs and managed a car audio shop for the last 2.
Got to love the internet where everyone has free speach.

SWX
10-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS

good luck with that one. I was going to suggest ID but they are far from the $150CAD price range.

The IDV3 is $199 full retail.

rahim
10-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by SWX

The IDV3 is $199 full retail.

where's that?

SWX
10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
CBS in Drayton Valley talk to Craig.

dooman24
10-04-2005, 08:02 PM
lol you want some advice..
lol here's some real advice to listen to..
get a good alarm..
and lock your interior trunk latch..
the boom boom.. will make you a target to theives.. lol
mine was gone 2 days after install..
good lock..

lastprodigy
10-04-2005, 08:57 PM
b_t talks about eD like it came out of his own :poosie: , i think hes got some ED issues :rofl:

SWX
10-04-2005, 09:35 PM
^^^^^^^^^ Hey eD is the best stuff ever:rolleyes: don't make fun he'll call you an idiot too.:D

rahim
10-05-2005, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by SWX
where's that?

SWX
10-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Hwy 22 west of Edmonton

Weapon_R
10-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by SWX

Do you have a contact #? I'd like to call them before going there, if he really sells em for 199, thats an amazing deal

(but its still no where near the $135 that eD sells and ships its items for).

b_t
10-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
b_t talks about eD like it came out of his own :poosie: , i think hes got some ED issues :rofl:

I've got some kind of complex, I hate when other people waste their money, so I take it upon myself to inform everyone else of the greatest bargains around. The only subs on my little list are the Pioneer TSW-300xSPLs and TSW-250xSPLs, since all other storebought car audio gear is way, way too much money, since those companies pay more overhead (larger companies), there are middlemen involved with any Canadian car audio purchase (who have to pay duties, warehousing fees, and want to make a profit) and then the dealer who has to make a profit on what the middleman already wants, so everything you see in stores here in Canada is overpriced by a significant margin.
You either need to cut out the middleman (buy direct from eD, Resonant, etc.), or go through eBay (which means no warranty) to actually get a sub for a reasonable price. Otherwise you are just pissing your money away. If SWX manages a store (which most definitely carries MTX), he is going to push his products above all else and he recognizes the serious threat eD is to his business so he gets all butthurt as soon as someone brings it up.
He installed shit, sells shit, and he knows its shit, but he wants to make his money, so take that however you will. He wants to make his friends money too. Now I have nothing to do with any car audio company, don't like the guy in charge of eD, but I recommend his stuff anyway. Checking around all the car audio forums, the two brands I see recommended most are elemental designs and Resonant Engineering, neither of whom can be bought in stores, and both of whom are setting SPL records, winning SQ competitions, and growing at a rapid rate while the big name companies (Rockford, Sony, Pioneer, Alpine) have posted up shrinking profit margins (if they even had any to begin with) and slide into the red. :dunno:

If I can get my exhaust finished, I will be at the Beyond meet two weeks from today. If you don't believe me when I push eD as much as I do, you can hear my system then and find out for yourself if it is as good as I say.

lastprodigy
10-05-2005, 11:38 AM
i never said i dont believe you...hell if not you then Weapon_R is a good source too....you just make it too personal sometimes!...my comment sounded funnier in my head :nut:

Chris @ Mitek
10-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Well i'd like to start by saying, MTX is one of if not the biggest audio manufacturer in north america and has been for a number of years. MTX also was the FIRST car audio company to bring a "car" sub to CES. We manufacture product for about 200 other companies. This should give you an idea how BIG MTX is, so companies like eD and other inter net companies are of little concern to us.
MTX also does not have to pay any "middlemen" as they distribute their product themselfs, so it's not as over priced as you may think.
Hope this clears up a few things.

OH and we too have over 500 world records so we do know what we're doing as well. We also have numerous inovation awards too.

SWX
10-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Funny i didn't thing i sold MTX i'll have to look around, the store i managed didn't sell MTX, but i have delt with their product and find it to be very good value and very reliable.
MAYbe if you quit buying things with your mommy's credit card on the internet you would have a beter idea of how things really worked in this world.

Oh and another thing if i'm so ampped on making money for my store why would i tell plp to go to CBS to buy ID, since thats what their looking for?

SWX
10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Where and when is this meet?

b_t
10-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by SWX
Funny i didn't thing i sold MTX i'll have to look around, the store i managed didn't sell MTX, but i have delt with their product and find it to be very good value and very reliable.
MAYbe if you quit buying things with your mommy's credit card on the internet you would have a beter idea of how things really worked in this world.

Oh and another thing if i'm so ampped on making money for my store why would i tell plp to go to CBS to buy ID, since thats what their looking for?

ahahaha buddy, really, get a life

meet is 12 days from today, Wednesday the 19th... mommy's credit card? fuck that, I work two jobs to buy the shit I have, 18s, a new system every year, and a custom turbo kit do not come cheap...

b_t
10-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Chris @ Mitek
Well i'd like to start by saying, MTX is one of if not the biggest audio manufacturer in north america and has been for a number of years. MTX also was the FIRST car audio company to bring a "car" sub to CES. We manufacture product for about 200 other companies. This should give you an idea how BIG MTX is, so companies like eD and other inter net companies are of little concern to us.
MTX also does not have to pay any "middlemen" as they distribute their product themselfs, so it's not as over priced as you may think.
Hope this clears up a few things.

OH and we too have over 500 world records so we do know what we're doing as well. We also have numerous inovation awards too.

Not sure if this has changed, but you bought your parts from China two years ago.. I would think it rather embarrassing if a Chinese bulk part vendor was showing the exact same cone in their booth as you were using on the subwoofers in your booth. Your old shit was junk, straight up. Your new stuff, better, but all marketing. Your comparison between the 10W7 and Thunder 9500 10" is complete and total bullshit, with no actual listening evaluations, a bunch of debate about "peak" one way excursion (which nobody except you even officially rate since it means jack shit). All theory, bench racing bullshit. Plus, you compared the 10s because while the Thunder 9500 compared favorably in that little comparo, the 12W7 and 13W7 vastly outperform your 12" and 15" 9500s when you compare those same on-paper specs.

The 9500 is a decent sub, sure, great even, but not better then a W7, and it costs a lot of money considering you can pick up used W7s for a few hundred less then one of your new 9500s, and W7s will take twice the beating. You guys don't really do much for your reliability reputation when you have your RFLs exploding all over the place, when Treo teams can go entire seasons on the same woofers and still stomp your subs in the lanes.

Really buddy, just push all that marketing bullshit the big companies insist on, and leave word of mouth to all the small companies who spend no money on marketing but have devout and steadily growing customer bases.

Chris @ Mitek
10-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by b_t

Not sure if this has changed, but you bought your parts from China two years ago.. I would think it rather embarrassing if a Chinese bulk part vendor was showing the exact same cone in their booth as you were using on the subwoofers in your booth. Your old shit was junk, straight up. Your new stuff, better, but all marketing. Your comparison between the 10W7 and Thunder 9500 10" is complete and total bullshit, with no actual listening evaluations, a bunch of debate about "peak" one way excursion (which nobody except you even officially rate since it means jack shit). All theory, bench racing bullshit. Plus, you compared the 10s because while the Thunder 9500 compared favorably in that little comparo, the 12W7 and 13W7 vastly outperform your 12" and 15" 9500s when you compare those same on-paper specs.

The 9500 is a decent sub, sure, great even, but not better then a W7, and it costs a lot of money considering you can pick up used W7s for a few hundred less then one of your new 9500s, and W7s will take twice the beating. You guys don't really do much for your reliability reputation when you have your RFLs exploding all over the place, when Treo teams can go entire seasons on the same woofers and still stomp your subs in the lanes.

Really buddy, just push all that marketing bullshit the big companies insist on, and leave word of mouth to all the small companies who spend no money on marketing but have devout and steadily growing customer bases.

We do manufacture our own product as well we own factories in China so it's still us making it. As for the comparison if you watch the video on the site you will see which sub takes more of a beating ours or the w7. And sure you may be able to buy a USED w7 for less than a NEW 9500 but so what it's USED, with no warrenty. No one has been able to blow up a 9500 yet, our failure rate on our product is about 1-2% as compared to the normal 30-40% average in the industry. Not sure what else to tell you, if you don't like it, you don't like it. To each their own. I have been doing this for a number of years and have seen alot of companies come and go and MTX have been one in the inovation front line.
Oh and as for the RFL you have to remember that came out how long ago? almost 10 yrs ago, and has since been discontinued yrs ago.

A790
10-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Chris @ Mitek

We do manufacture our own product as well we own factories in China so it's still us making it. As for the comparison if you watch the video on the site you will see which sub takes more of a beating ours or the w7. And sure you may be able to buy a USED w7 for less than a NEW 9500 but so what it's USED, with no warrenty. No one has been able to blow up a 9500 yet, our failure rate on our product is about 1-2% as compared to the normal 30-40% average in the industry. Not sure what else to tell you, if you don't like it, you don't like it. To each their own. I have been doing this for a number of years and have seen alot of companies come and go and MTX have been one in the inovation front line.
Oh and as for the RFL you have to remember that came out how long ago? almost 10 yrs ago, and has since been discontinued yrs ago.

The industry average isn't anywhere near 40% buddy. Please update your obviously antiquated and incorrect statistics.

I would HOPE that your 1-2% failure rate would be STANDARD, and it's certainly nothing to brag about.

If you represent MTX, howcome your grammar sucks? I wouldn't hire you to be a PR person for me, that's for damn sure.

Chris @ Mitek
10-10-2005, 01:01 AM
well i'm not a PR person for MTX so i guess that doesn't matter then.
And yes the industry on a whole is close to the 30-40% trust me my information is acurate.

DR.Gonzo
10-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Hey Chris, how do man? . For the record, I tried to blow up the 9500 12 inch sub at my shop and couldnt....... hell I bypassed amplifiers all together and just plugged the damn thing into the wall and left it alone for 3 minutes. you know what happened? nothing .... except the surround was kinda warm hahaha. I have only seen this done with 2 other woofers. An old RF Power Punch DVC, and a Vega Stroker. As far as Im concerned MTX has done a hellof a job this year. Especially with their woofers. They sound great and you cant kill em. This Thread kinda gotten away from a reasonable question to a pissing match hahaha. Mtx builds so many woofers its unbelievable. a 1-2% return is unheard of by more than most other manufact. esp. on the volume that MTX does. Best as I can see B_T is a paper installer only and really does need to get out there and see some stuff. nothing personal man but really dude, if its not ED it sucks seems to be all I have seen from you. Its good to have an opinion, so long as its founded.

Chris @ Mitek
10-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Hey Glad your liking the MTX.

Jonathan@TCS
10-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by DR.Gonzo
Hey Chris, how do man? . For the record, I tried to blow up the 9500 12 inch sub at my shop and couldnt....... hell I bypassed amplifiers all together and just plugged the damn thing into the wall and left it alone for 3 minutes. you know what happened? nothing .... except the surround was kinda warm hahaha. I have only seen this done with 2 other woofers. An old RF Power Punch DVC, and a Vega Stroker. As far as Im concerned MTX has done a hellof a job this year. Especially with their woofers. They sound great and you cant kill em. This Thread kinda gotten away from a reasonable question to a pissing match hahaha. Mtx builds so many woofers its unbelievable. a 1-2% return is unheard of by more than most other manufact. esp. on the volume that MTX does. Best as I can see B_T is a paper installer only and really does need to get out there and see some stuff. nothing personal man but really dude, if its not ED it sucks seems to be all I have seen from you. Its good to have an opinion, so long as its founded.

WELL SAID!

b_t
10-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by DR.Gonzo

buddy, honestly... paper installer? I haven't read a sub spec sheet in a long time.. and I dismiss bullshit comparisons like MTX's little 9500 10" vs. 10W7 completely out of hand.. I've had PG Xmaxs, Titaniums, Xenons, Rockford Punch Zs (ew), the old DVC Punchs (really good sub, but kinda sloppy), a Power HX2 (not a good sub), a Kicker 10L7 (the absolute shittiest sub I owned), the older MTX Thunder 8000s (they looked cool and were pretty loud, but SQ was lacking), a MTX Road Thunder (which is the worst excuse for a sub I have ever heard), a cool little Directed/Rockford HX2 combination sub that actually sounded quite nice, a set of 12W0s and a 12W3v2, I had a pair of TC Sounds 15s (they sounded amazing, but were not well suited to a car audio application), uhhmm an Infiniti Perfect 12 and now I have my elemental Designs 12K.44 which despite being three years old and discontinued is probably my all-around favorite of all the subs I have owned. The Titaniums, Xenons, the Power HX2 and the Directed were all much louder, and the Perfect was cleaner, but the elemental is the cleanest of all the subs I have owned and it just happens to have excellent output in my ported box. Plus, it cost less then the Punch Z was brand new. The performance per dollar on the elemental gear is outrageous, the only other subs I owned that were this great for bang for the buck were the TC Sounds and your average joe can't find those without a lot of effort.. plus they needed 7 cubic feet sealed, so I had to ditch those.

You are an IASCA judge here in Alberta? Do you post on CCA? Strangely enough, your comment about the elementals being only loud is maybe only the second or third time I have EVER heard someone say that, compared to the magazine reviewers, including Dave MacKinnon (whose opinion that has some weight with me) who say that elementals "define how low frequencies should be reproduced," Dave said they are "the embodiment of what a great subwoofer should be," and Mobile entertainment (a bunch of idiots imo) called them "the real deal," whatever that means. I hate quoting stuff off the website, but its really hard defending this stuff against a bunch of old guys with fulltime jobs who gauge the performance of their subwoofer by its pricetag and dismiss anything in the sub-$250 bracket immediately.

Jonathan@TCS
10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I think we can sum up this entire thread in one statement!

MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD!

DR.Gonzo
10-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Agreed.
and as far as being an iasca judge goes, I gave up on that format. It seems to draw in alot of whinners and seems to focus more on making money for iasca than promoting the sport. USACi is where its at. And no I dont post on cca.... yet. I have just started with this fun form of trying to communicate with people in this industry. As far as CCA goes, if I want to talk to a few of those guys , I'll just phone them. But it is a good place to keep up on upcomming shows,so thats what I will be doing with that. I'm just hoping there are some people on here that I may be able to help out, maybe get some advice from a couple different viewpoints, and ultimately try to do my part to promote the fun filled industry of car audio!

SWX
10-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by b_t

buddy, honestly... paper installer? I haven't read a sub spec sheet in a long time.. and I dismiss bullshit comparisons like MTX's little 9500 10" vs. 10W7 completely out of hand.. I've had PG Xmaxs, Titaniums, Xenons, Rockford Punch Zs (ew), the old DVC Punchs (really good sub, but kinda sloppy), a Power HX2 (not a good sub), a Kicker 10L7 (the absolute shittiest sub I owned), the older MTX Thunder 8000s (they looked cool and were pretty loud, but SQ was lacking), a MTX Road Thunder (which is the worst excuse for a sub I have ever heard), a cool little Directed/Rockford HX2 combination sub that actually sounded quite nice, a set of 12W0s and a 12W3v2, I had a pair of TC Sounds 15s (they sounded amazing, but were not well suited to a car audio application), uhhmm an Infiniti Perfect 12 and now I have my elemental Designs 12K.44 which despite being three years old and discontinued is probably my all-around favorite of all the subs I have owned. The Titaniums, Xenons, the Power HX2 and the Directed were all much louder, and the Perfect was cleaner, but the elemental is the cleanest of all the subs I have owned and it just happens to have excellent output in my ported box. Plus, it cost less then the Punch Z was brand new. The performance per dollar on the elemental gear is outrageous, the only other subs I owned that were this great for bang for the buck were the TC Sounds and your average joe can't find those without a lot of effort.. plus they needed 7 cubic feet sealed, so I had to ditch those.

You are an IASCA judge here in Alberta? Do you post on CCA? Strangely enough, your comment about the elementals being only loud is maybe only the second or third time I have EVER heard someone say that, compared to the magazine reviewers, including Dave MacKinnon (whose opinion that has some weight with me) who say that elementals "define how low frequencies should be reproduced," Dave said they are "the embodiment of what a great subwoofer should be," and Mobile entertainment (a bunch of idiots imo) called them "the real deal," whatever that means. I hate quoting stuff off the website, but its really hard defending this stuff against a bunch of old guys with fulltime jobs who gauge the performance of their subwoofer by its pricetag and dismiss anything in the sub-$250 bracket immediately.

So i'm an old timer? I guess thats better than an idiot. I listed off a half dozen subs in the under $250 range so no i don't dismiss somthing just because of it's price.
And as for the MTX 8000 series it's what 3 years old, i think their subs have come a longs ways since then.
Also you had mentioned that you changed your system evry year working your two jobs but now your saying your using subs that are 3 years old, so which is it?

rahim
10-12-2005, 08:33 PM
he never said he bought it new

SWX
10-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by b_t

ahahaha buddy, really, get a life

meet is 12 days from today, Wednesday the 19th... mommy's credit card? fuck that, I work two jobs to buy the shit I have, 18s, a new system every year, and a custom turbo kit do not come cheap...

^^^ a new system every year. yet the subs are 3 years old.

b_t
10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by SWX

^^^ a new system every year. yet the subs are 3 years old.

when I say "new" I mean "different," not actually new, and even though the sub is three years old, it is better then a lot of the brand new stuff I have heard.

natesiy
10-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Everyone's entitled to their opinions and preferences. It's so hard to say what a "better" subwoofer is because everyone has a different opinion of "better"

Some ppl like more effecient SPL drivers, some like tight, accurate SQ drivers, some like cheap, some like lots of flash and hype.

Just because you've gone through a few systems doesn't make anyone an expert on anything. Even our own preferences change over the years. I know i don't like listening to the same music and volume as 8 years ago.

SWX
10-13-2005, 11:36 PM
The best thing to do as it's been said already in this thread is go and listen to everything you can.