PDA

View Full Version : How to postpone a job offer?

Chim
09-29-2005, 04:55 PM
If a company offers you a job, but you're also waiting to hear back from another company, what is the professional way to postpone the first job offer until you hear back from the second company?

n00bit
09-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Call them up and ask when they need a decision by. If they want it right away then tell them there is another employer that you want to hear from first. If they can't accept this and tell you if you don't work for them, they'll rescind the offer then you'll need to decide whether you'll want to work for that employer. Personally I'd ask for a week or so extension. Anymore and I think you're pushing it.

AcuraTl
09-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by n00bit
Call them up and ask when they need a decision by. If they want it right away then tell them there is another employer that you want to hear from first. If they can't accept this and tell you if you don't work for them, they'll rescind the offer then you'll need to decide whether you'll want to work for that employer. Personally I'd ask for a week or so extension. Anymore and I think you're pushing it.

yea man it kinda sucks, if you tell them that your waiting from the word from another employer, they might take offence to that..best thing to do is to get all your interviews and stuff together around the same date (week) and then go from there :thumbsup:

Ben
09-29-2005, 05:59 PM
What job do you want to do more? You must have some idea on the pay and benefits of the company you're waiting out on.

It's tough, I've been in your situation before. Hold out, possibly turn down the offer that was guaranteed for an offer that may not come. Go the safe youte, take the guaranteed job, or gamble and end up with nothing.

In the end, I took the safe route, less pay, but far more job satisfaction, doing exactly what I love, which IMO, makes up for it. The other job was a complete industry change and brutal hours, leaving me with absolutly no social life.

Chim
09-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Damn I thought there'd be an easy solution to this... oh well, lets see how I do on the interviews first, with my skills I'll probably not even get a single job offer :drama:

sputnik
09-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Why dont you worry about this once you actually get ONE job offer.

Jericho99
09-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Can't you tell them you had a vacation planned and cant start right away or that your previous employer requires 2 weeks notice. Then if you get the better job just tell them you cant take it.

Despair*
09-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Postphoning giving them an answer is really risky. I remember myself in a similiar situation where I nearly got burned trying to delay my decision. I was waiting for one company to get back with me with their decision within a few days time like they told me they would, and by the time i got through to them, they told me they were still unsure as to their decision. They were taking forever, and I never did hear a their decision from them in the end. The smartest thing to do would be to accept the position and if you still hear back from that other company and you find their offer is more suitable, by all means take it up. Not really the most ethical was of doing things and I would rather not if I had the choice. But ultimately you need to look out for yourself and what and what works for you.

Chim
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Why dont you worry about this once you actually get ONE job offer.

Because I need to have the plan figured out for when I DO get the job offer :rolleyes:

Celica TVS3
09-30-2005, 06:48 PM
What kind of job is this for?

If this is you're career decide which company you want to work for more and make sure you get that job.

If its "just a job" accept the first offer and if you find that a better offer comes along quit the first and take the second. If neccecary just walk away from the first job - 2 weeks notice isn't neccecary if you've been there only a short period of time. I would consider the first month at a job a probationary period for both the employer and the employee.

GTS Jeff
09-30-2005, 07:04 PM
It's easy. What I did was simply ask for more time, and when they wanted a reason, I gave them a generic answer, "This is a huge commitment on both our parts, so I think it's fair to give it some very serious thought. I'll have an answer for you in a week."

Not once was I ever worried about losing the job offer. Why?

Because if they're a good employer, they'll respect your desire to think something through carefully. If they won't even show you this little bit of respect now, they'll only treat you worse once you're actually dependant on them.

If they do blow me off, fine - their loss. I'll get scooped up by another company that treats me better. :)

AndrewMZ3
09-30-2005, 08:06 PM
I was able to get a one month extension on my offer. Just contact them and ask for an extension, if they're not fine with it, they're probably not a place you'd want to work with anyways.

Weapon_R
09-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by AndrewMZ3
I was able to get a one month extension on my offer. Just contact them and ask for an extension, if they're not fine with it, they're probably not a place you'd want to work with anyways.

Unless they were looking for an employee... But that's obviously not the case here ;)

Celica TVS3
10-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
It's easy. What I did was simply ask for more time, and when they wanted a reason, I gave them a generic answer, "This is a huge commitment on both our parts, so I think it's fair to give it some very serious thought. I'll have an answer for you in a week."

Not once was I ever worried about losing the job offer. Why?

Because if they're a good employer, they'll respect your desire to think something through carefully. If they won't even show you this little bit of respect now, they'll only treat you worse once you're actually dependant on them.

If they do blow me off, fine - their loss. I'll get scooped up by another company that treats me better. :)

If I was you're potential employer I would have told you to forget the offer. I would want a commited employee that wants to work for me not wait a month to decide. As far as i'm concerned you should have decided to work there before the interview, and maybe have a few days after the interview to change your mind.

AndrewMZ3
10-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3

If I was you're potential employer I would have told you to forget the offer. I would want a commited employee that wants to work for me not wait a month to decide. As far as i'm concerned you should have decided to work there before the interview, and maybe have a few days after the interview to change your mind.

Are you speaking as a new grad looking for employment, or an experienced hire looking at switching jobs. Most companies are accomodating to new grads when they look for work. This is because it is expected that they apply at a dozen or so firms during their last year of studies. In fact, in most job offers they have a line saying that they understand that the student is entertaining other offers and what not.

If I were an employer, I'd rather give the student extra time to make sure the decision they make is the one they want. It'd be a huge waste of resources to hire a new grad only for them to leave a month or two later. It's better to give them the time to think through the decision and commit to the one they think would be best.

AndrewMZ3
10-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Unless they were looking for an employee... But that's obviously not the case here ;)

I was posting on the assumption that this was a new grad that would be starting upon graduation anyways.

Chim
10-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm looking at co-op jobs right now, have 2 interviews this week at Atco and Shell, my chances are pretty high for the job offers. I'm being interviewed for 9 different positions at Shell, and I think I'm the only one being interviewed for Atco.

I'm indifferent enough about the positions and companies that I'm going to base my decision only on pay. Accepting the job offer then quitting right away when I get a better one has serious academic repercussions so thats not an option.

Has anybody worked for these 2 companies, or know anyone that has?

AndrewMZ3
10-01-2005, 01:31 PM
I have a buddy at Shell. Which dept would you be in?

KLCC
10-01-2005, 01:39 PM
is the job market in calgary starting to pick up???
(i.e. IT field)
hmm, I cant stand staying up all night to surf for BEYOND no more. :zzz: :zzz:

AndrewMZ3
10-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Depends on your field, but in general yes.

IT and Accounting are probably two of the hottest fields at the moment.

Chim
10-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by AndrewMZ3
I have a buddy at Shell. Which dept would you be in?

IT, but I'm gonna see if they can put me in a more business-oriented department (finance or marketing). I didn't even apply for the IT job and now they are interviewing me for 9 programming positions.

Originally posted by KLCC
is the job market in calgary starting to pick up???
(i.e. IT field)
hmm, I cant stand staying up all night to surf for BEYOND no more. :zzz: :zzz:

If you can't find a job in IT, it likely isnt the job market. Calgary is BOOMING right now. You have to do something outstanding to get attention. For example, I applied for a marketing position at Shell, but I created a digital resume and for that reason they assume I know how to program too.

I also own a small IT company and I'm looking to hire 2 people in the near future. I know that I'm not going to be impressed by the standard resume and cover letter, instead I'll be looking strictly for a well presented portfolio and professional business tone in the potential candidate. Some guy coming up to me and asking for work just won't cut it, I need to know what this person can do for my company and how he can put more money in my pocket.

GTS Jeff
10-02-2005, 12:06 PM

If I was you're potential employer I would have told you to forget the offer. I would want a commited employee that wants to work for me not wait a month to decide. As far as i'm concerned you should have decided to work there before the interview, and maybe have a few days after the interview to change your mind. Meh, commited or not, I was the best candidate that the company found after doing interviews for over half a year. They were willing to do just about anything to have me work for them.

And the thing is, they knew, and I knew, that if they declined me, it'd hurt them more, because I would have no trouble finding another company that would give what I wanted, whereas they'd be on the hunt again for another half a year. Am I being a cocky bastard? Yeah, but so what? I'm right and I'm able to get the jobs I want...

My philosophy is that if a company takes their time to find the right people, they obviously value their employees and will treat them right. If all they're looking for is a pair of hands, and they're willing to take whoever will work for them, they obviously don't value their employees and working for them would suck.

Celica TVS3
10-02-2005, 12:16 PM
^ What do you do for a living / what kind of business are you in?

It basicly boils down to how many good candidates they have for a single position.

If they are deciding between two individuals and you come out slightly ahead because they like you're enthusiasm, experience, attitude, colour of tie.... and offer you the job they may reconsider their initial assumptions and offer the position to the candidate in close second if they get the impression the job is exactly what he/she wants to do.

Eg, if you are in geology or engineering you could ask for 3 months and more pay and you would probably get it. But if you were applying for an entry level finance or marketing job those options would not likely be open to you.

Because you are a co-op student you'll have more flexibiltiy. This is what you do, tell the interviewer that you have 9 interviews with several companies and you're in the proccess of feeling out the companies just as they are in the process of feeling out you. Tell the guy/girl you would like to have the opertunity to meet with all the companies before you make a final decision.

GTS Jeff
10-02-2005, 12:54 PM
^ What do you do for a living / what kind of business are you in?

It basicly boils down to how many good candidates they have for a single position.

If they are deciding between two individuals and you come out slightly ahead because they like you're enthusiasm, experience, attitude, colour of tie.... and offer you the job they may reconsider their initial assumptions and offer the position to the candidate in close second if they get the impression the job is exactly what he/she wants to do.

Eg, if you are in geology or engineering you could ask for 3 months and more pay and you would probably get it. But if you were applying for an entry level finance or marketing job those options would not likely be open to you.

Because you are a co-op student you'll have more flexibiltiy. This is what you do, tell the interviewer that you have 9 interviews with several companies and you're in the proccess of feeling out the companies just as they are in the process of feeling out you. Tell the guy/girl you would like to have the opertunity to meet with all the companies before you make a final decision. I graduated with a BSc. Biology last April and I went job searching right away. I had 3 job offers by mid-May for positions with companies like Xerox for Account Exec. sales type positions. I asked for an extension on all my job offers successfully, and still got a job at the end of the day, with a company that absolutely treasured their employees.