PDA

View Full Version : New Mercedes Engines (New S Class)

E36M3
02-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Hey guys,

I haven't seen a thread on the new S Class engines, but I think it is very interesting, both in the short term and in the long term for Mercedes.

The new S Class will eventually have twin turbos on all engine choices. Although they may not be ready for the 2005 model year roll-out, it looks like the new S-Class will have twin turbo V8 and V10s (all new) and presumably a twin turbo V12.

As well, Mercedes has rolled out a new strategy for turbo charging. They will follow the Audi / VW / Volvo lead and offer low and high pressure turbos among model lines.

Another interesting tidbit -- The new S-Class will debut with a 7 speed automatic transmission.

Glowrider
02-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Euro HP wars rock :)

E36M3
02-11-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider
Euro HP wars rock :)

Yeah, I agree.. seems all hell has broken loose in the automotive industry. It is so hard not to leave a dealership with a 300+ hp car.

Good thing I have a girlfriend to keep me in line.

rage2
02-11-2003, 02:35 PM
BMW knows they're in trouble with their NA motor strategy... they're beginning to turbo their motors. They have a new 3.0L I6 turbo motor (375hp) that will be part of the new 5 series line up. Imagine if they turbo the new V10... hp wars rules!

E36M3
02-11-2003, 02:42 PM
I agree with you, I can't see BMW not going forced induction.. it really makes sense in the European markets, and North Americans are beginning to embrace it.

As for Mercedes, it is interesting to see the shift away from superchargers. I wonder if this is going to be a corporate wide switch.

In any case, a turbo charged V8 M3 would be an interesting car. Good luck to BMW keeping the weight down.

This will have to end sooner or later, and will probably result in an infamous 'gentlemen's agreement' between the German automakers on HP caps.

The soccer moms must be going nuts :)

Originally posted by rage2
BMW knows they're in trouble with their NA motor strategy... they're beginning to turbo their motors. They have a new 3.0L I6 turbo motor (375hp) that will be part of the new 5 series line up. Imagine if they turbo the new V10... hp wars rules!

ninjak84
02-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
Good thing I have a girlfriend to keep me in line.

Haha, she's doing a shitty job, seeing as you drive an M3. :tongue:

E36M3
02-11-2003, 03:32 PM
I had the M3 before I met her.. I've tried a couple times to convince her that I need something new, but been overruled.. most recently to buy a house, and now it is time to upgrade the house.

We'll see though, but I don't think anything will happen anytime soon.. although the Saab is almost a year old now..

Originally posted by ninjak84

Haha, she's doing a shitty job, seeing as you drive an M3. :tongue:

RiceCake
02-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
I had the M3 before I met her.. I've tried a couple times to convince her that I need something new, but been overruled.. most recently to buy a house, and now it is time to upgrade the house.

We'll see though, but I don't think anything will happen anytime soon.. although the Saab is almost a year old now..

Damn the life of a high roller must really suck... :tongue: :D

E36M3
02-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah, well I end up working so much that it is hard to just get out and drive enough..

Then again, I'm not complaining.. we've been really fortunate.

Originally posted by RiceCake

Damn the life of a high roller must really suck... :tongue: :D