PDA

View Full Version : XP question

rinny
09-30-2005, 09:22 PM
I have an XP on a cd but it is scratched to shit and i have a feeling that is why it wont work when i go to install it on my new hard drive. It should have boot up automatically when i put it in but it freezes and doesnt boot.

Long story short, im wondering if I can use my cd key on someone else's XP CD since it is a legit key?

abc1
09-30-2005, 09:49 PM
sorry can't answer your question, but have something you can try. go buy a game doctor to try repairing the disk.

hedge
09-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Yes, The license is the 'certificate of authenticity' that's usually stuck to the machine. I always make copies of software I buy and squirrel away the originals.

Davetronz
10-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Make sure that your XP liscence matches your disk..

So in other words if you are using an OEM Home key you need an OEM Home disk.
If you are using a Retail Professional key you need a retail professional disk...
So on and so on.

rinny
10-01-2005, 09:18 PM
The cdkey definately matches, a year ago i used it on my HD when i had 2000, but my HD just crashed for the most part, and now im stuck with win2k again.

As for the cd repair, there are tiny tiny pits in it where the shiny is scratched right off, nothing big, but probably big enough to cause problems.

One more question tho, is there any way i can just burn all the system files and basically the whole OS onto a dvd from my old hard drive and then move it onto this new one, or is that just asking for problems?

googe
10-01-2005, 10:03 PM
^^he means that you can use your CD key on a different CD as long as the version of XP matches. a cd key for win xp home is good for any win xp home CD.

rinny
10-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Yea gotcha. I got everything figured out now.