PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoffs Thread

brettg
10-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Well i figure since the Jays are out of the playoffs and that was the only thread there was for talking baseball we better start up one for the playoffs.

Whos gona take it this year, wut do you guys think.

Im hoping red sox but i dont think they have the pitching to take them all the way. the cardinals sure look great again this year, its a real toss up, i could also see the yankees loosing in the first round to the angles, which i am praying for to be honest.

anyways wut do u guys think???????????

hockeybronx
10-02-2005, 10:29 PM
I'll give you my predictions (keep in mind they're coming from a huge Yankees fan):

Division Series:
New York Yankees vs. Los Angeles Angels: Yankees in five
Boston Red Sox vs. Chicago White Sox: White Sox in six
San Diego Padres vs. St. Louis Cardinals: Cardinal in four
Houston Astros vs. Atlanta Braves: Braves in five

League Series:
New York Yankees vs. Chicago White Sox: Yankees in six
St. Louis Cardinals vs. Atlanta Braves: Cardinals in six

World Series:
New York Yankees vs. St. Louis Cardinals: Yankees in seven.

I'm anticipating continued extreme run support from the Yankees, and I expect excellent pitching out of Randy Johnson, as well as lights-out closing (as always) from Rivera.

We'll see what happens!

KLCC
10-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Go CM WANG(40-yankee)

Gondi Stylez
10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
BO SOX ALL THE WAY!

BigDannyCool
10-02-2005, 11:01 PM
it's gay that there are only 8 teams in the playoffs. Anyways go Indians

coolstoryhansel
10-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Aren't Division Series using a best-of-five format?

Anyways, I hope the Padres take it this year but they are a real long shot considering they finished 7 games behind the Wild Card team.

In the AL, I hope the Bo Sox take it.

habsfan
10-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
it's gay that there are only 8 teams in the playoffs. Anyways go Indians

indians are out

i say boston vs yankees for the alcs, cardinals vs astros in nlcs

boston vs cardinals for WS, cardinals take it in 6

GO LARRY WALKER!

brettg
10-03-2005, 04:23 PM
im gona say that the yankees will loose in 6, the angles are playing so well right now, and the redsox will take the whitesox no problem. to be honest i think it was more of an advantage to win the wild card, i would rather play the white sox over the angles.

either way the cards are going to be real tough, i think thell probably take it all but im still hoping for the red sox, many and ortiz, 3-4 is unstopable!!!!

brettg
10-04-2005, 10:34 AM
first games tonight, i no im looking forward to it. i just want to see the yankees loose so bad. Colon i think is one of the most under rated pitchers, he is the only guy who can win 20 plus games and get very little praise or recognision for it. Go Angles!!!

coolstoryhansel
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Obtuse Angles are better than Right Angles!!!

brettg
10-04-2005, 02:06 PM
thanks for that!

Angels, is that better.

habsfan
10-04-2005, 02:13 PM
angels will more than likely win tonight, mussina isnt a great pitcher these days.

KLCC
10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
game 1 is in the bag.....definitely looking forward to game 2, where Wang pitches

habsfan
10-04-2005, 09:08 PM
wow i never woulda thought that mussina could pull a decent start out of his old ass, but i guess he did.

and how bout those red sox losing 14-2 :eek:

brettg
10-05-2005, 12:10 PM
ya 14-2 is an old fassion ass whopping, how embarasing. they better bounce back.

and ya holy shit mussina pitched well, i cant believe al 4 runs were scored with 2 outs, oh how i hate the yankees.

But go St.Louis, Grand Slam, wow, they looked strong as always.

brettg
10-06-2005, 01:09 AM
wow, there is a god, the yankees loose. i no the redsox lost again, there really sucking it up big time, but now they headback to fenway, hopfully they can take 2 at home.

i didnt expect the braves to play so poorly, but that series doesnt really mater to me cause whoever wins it wil ust loose to the Cardinals.

habsfan
10-07-2005, 06:20 AM
well clemens got rocked last night, 5 runs in 5 innings wasnt exactly expected.

brettg
10-07-2005, 08:02 AM
ya and jonh smotlz pitched amazing, he was dominating, throwing 9 plus in the 7th inning. he was awsome.

now i just have to do a small prayer for the red sox to pick up a win tonight.

habsfan
10-07-2005, 08:13 AM
they'll probably win tonight, but i think the white sox just may have enough to take them out...

brettg
10-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Fenway is a tough place to play, i could see them wining both at home, or should i sa im hopping they win both at home.

hyperwhite
10-07-2005, 10:51 AM
i hope the redsox get struck down by the lightening of the baseball gods. they will not win for another 86 years...if they're lucky. oh ya, go cardinals!

habsfan
10-08-2005, 10:50 AM
boston is so done :whipped: too bad we dont have a swept smiley

hyperwhite
10-08-2005, 12:12 PM
lets go angels:clap: :clap: :clap: lets go angels:clap: :clap: :clap:
time for my most hated team to lose and suffer a first round exit. NO CHAMPIONSHIP FOR YOU!!!! :whipped:

brettg
10-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
lets go angels:clap: :clap: :clap: lets go angels:clap: :clap: :clap:
time for my most hated team to lose and suffer a first round exit. NO CHAMPIONSHIP FOR YOU!!!! :whipped:

couldn't agree more, i will take boston being out if the yankees follow, they are just everyting that is wrong with professional sports, i hate teams that buy championships so to see them go out in the first round would make me soooooo happy.

oh ya and go CARDS!!!!!!

brettg
10-08-2005, 03:27 PM
^^
ohh haha i didt realize u were talking about the red sox, oh well i love the red sox so i guess we dissagree there, either way the cards will take it all!!!!

brettg
10-09-2005, 12:03 PM
another grand slam, Laroche with a grand slam against the astros, i hope atlanta can make the full comeback and beat houston.

cards sweep as expected.

and how i hope the yankees will see an early exit today against washburn and the angels.

brettg
10-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Holly crap 18 innings, wut a game, kind of boring for some streches but not really when one swing can end it all, i just knew atlanta would loose when they loaded the bases in like the 14 and didnt score, that is just like some kind of bad omen. either way yankees and angels tonight, i hope Colone can pull it out.

GO ANGELS!!!!!!!!

l8braker
10-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by brettg

couldn't agree more, i will take boston being out if the yankees follow, they are just everyting that is wrong with professional sports, i hate teams that buy championships so to see them go out in the first round would make me soooooo happy.

oh ya and go CARDS!!!!!!

haha, steinbrenner is gonna kill people if they do!!:guns:

Zephyr
10-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Angels pwned Yankees...even though I was hoping Angels to lose because of all these dam bandwagoners in cali right now its annoying....

hockeybronx
10-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Man Yankees lost:(

There goes my team.

Anywho predictions for the next round:

White Sox over Angels in six games

Cardinals over Astros in five games

KLCC
10-10-2005, 10:29 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

hockeybronx
10-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by KLCC
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I believe I am being mocked:banghead:

brettg
10-11-2005, 12:46 AM
its just so satisfying to see them (yankees) out in the first round. it just makes me feel all worm and tingly inside. i realy hope that the angels can take the white sox but if coone is done and washburn cant make his next start the are finished. either way i hope the cards take care of business and finish off thoes damn astros. theres just something about roger clemens that i cant stand.

oh ya ad does anyoe else think they need to have 7 game series for the al and nlds it would just make it that much better, i dont know why they have just 5 games, wuts the rush.

hockeybronx
10-11-2005, 11:48 AM
oh ya ad does anyoe else think they need to have 7 game series for the al and nlds it would just make it that much better, i dont know why they have just 5 games, wuts the rush.

The rush is weather, it they were all seven game series, and they all went to the seventh game theres a chance we'd be playing into mid November.

Now it's fine in cities like Los Angeles, but do you really want to be playing baseball outside in cities like Denver after all the snowfall they got last night?

brettg
10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
ya true story i guess ha, these five game series just seem to go so fast.

brettg
10-12-2005, 01:19 PM
and the angels take game one, thats just awsome, byrd pitched a wicked game on short rest. the angels are gona be tough for the whitesox cause they cant just run wild on them like they do on every other team, the angels play the same kind of ball so they know wut to expect. GO ANGELS!!!

game 2 tonight and game 1 of NLCS, GO CARDS

brettg
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I hate to say it but the white sox look unbeatable, there starting pitching looks just so strong. At this point i dont know if anyone can beat them weaher its st.louis or houston.

habsfan
10-17-2005, 04:04 PM
im surprised that houston has almost beat out st louis, thats a shocker

l8braker
10-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Wow! What a finish!!!!! St. Louie lives!

hockeybronx
10-18-2005, 01:25 AM
I still don't think Houston has what it takes to finish off St. Louis.

I say Cardinals in seven, we'll see what happens Wednesday night.

brettg
10-18-2005, 12:14 PM
man i hope so, a comeback like that should give you such a lift, they at least should be able to win wed and take it to game 7.

that shot by pujols was absoutly hudge, almost hit it out of the stadium, that was a eal homerun, thoes ones berkamn keeps getting are barley getting out, that porch they have in left field in houston is so short, that is a definate hitters ballpark, half the home runs there would stay in almost anywhere else, pujols homer would have left any park ever built, it was massive.

habsfan
10-18-2005, 12:41 PM
i hate the park in houston, minute maid park i think. what the hell is up with the hill in center field? that just retarded and dangerous

hockeybronx
10-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Well yeah left field is definitely pretty shallow, but straight away centre looks pretty tough. I'm not sure if I've seen a home run hit to straight away centre yet?

Anyways I like the ballpark, the hill after the alley in centre adds character to the stadium.

90Tegra
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
st.louis are going to win the series, that kind of comeback always boosts ur team

trikypenguin
10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
i can;t believe houston lost last night, such a massive homer thoug to win

brettg
10-19-2005, 11:59 AM
ya that hill in center field is unique but stupid, its a baseball field you dont need crap lke that, i think they were trying a little to hard to be origional, either way next 2 games in St.Louis and i think they can do it, a comeback like that has to give your team a boost.

GO CARDS!!!

habsfan
10-19-2005, 09:30 PM
and thats the end of that

the ws that im sure not many people expecter

CWS vs. Houston Astros

hockeybronx
10-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Yeah I'm as surprised as anybody. Didn't see the game so I don't really know what went down, but all I know is that the Cardinals had huge potential.

White Sox in 4
:closed:

brettg
10-21-2005, 08:10 AM
ya white sox foresure, everyone os going on about the big 3 for huston, lets face it clemens pitched like crap so far this post season and petite has been less than spectacular, oswalt is the only one who has looked good, where as 4 guys have looked amazing for the white sox, white sox in 5!!!!!!!

hockeybronx
10-21-2005, 05:26 PM
ya white sox foresure, everyone os going on about the big 3 for huston, lets face it clemens pitched like crap so far this post season and petite has been less than spectacular, oswalt is the only one who has looked good, where as 4 guys have looked amazing for the white sox, white sox in 5!!!!!!!

Yeah that's the thing, any team that wants to compete with the White Sox needs really high run support and the Astros just haven't showed that this year.

brettg
10-24-2005, 11:09 AM
well white sox take a dominating lead in the world series, no big supprise. the old ass astros just cant keep up. and wow did clemens ptch like crap,he should just retire, along with about 3 other guys on that team, like bagwell ang bigio, they ae just hanging on to long.

l8braker
10-24-2005, 11:28 AM
GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

i think the cold in chicago played a part as well, rootin' for the sox, but when things go back to houston where its warmer, things could change.

:thumbsup:

hockeybronx
10-24-2005, 12:36 PM
It's too bad because I have absolutely no interest in watching any of the games. I've just been checking out the highlight reels and that's it.

To be honest I don't really think the White Sox will sweep them anymore, but probably in 5 games.

viffer
10-24-2005, 12:53 PM
The series will be over in Houston, CHW will be the champs.

and WTF Scott Podsednik???!? jeez he doesn't go deep all year and then bam, walk off homer. Good stuff!!

brettg
10-24-2005, 02:36 PM
ya that was crazy, and ya i dont think te sox will sweep i think houston will get one win when oswalt pitches, caue he has bee on fire but that is it, sox in 5. there just to good right now, there pitching will outlast anyone at this point.

viffer
10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
^ agreed, plus guys like Konerko and Crede are on fire and are just hitting the shit out of the ball. And, their closer is a tank. I've been quietly rooting for the Astros ever since they came back in the bottom of the ninth in the Division series against Atlanta, but it seems like they are at the end of their road.

viffer
10-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Anybody watch that dumbass sing "God Bless America" last night?? hahahah man did he ever butcher it.

l8braker
10-26-2005, 11:44 AM
GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have $$$ ridin on this :D

brettg
10-26-2005, 12:15 PM
i never though that the sox would sweep, but there best chance at getting a win was last night with oswalt, i can almost fel a sweep coming on, that would be crazy, 2 sweeps in a row buy ameican league teams in the world series. Either way garcia has the ball tonight and he is awsome on the road.

GO SOXXX!!!!!!!

Newk
10-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by viffer
Anybody watch that dumbass sing "God Bless America" last night?? hahahah man did he ever butcher it.

I though he was having a seizure.

brettg
10-26-2005, 01:03 PM
ya that was weird, ud think they screen thoes people.

Newk
10-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Aaron Neville has always been weird but last night was something else. I kept expecting someone to run out and try to keep him from choking on his own tongue.

brettg
10-26-2005, 02:02 PM
hahahaha, thats houston for you, thats the best they could get or wut, its the world series for god sakes.

2002civic
10-26-2005, 02:50 PM
garner sure took out his aggression on the shair last ngiht, bring out the brooms

l8braker
10-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Hahaha, they can take it all tonight!!!!!! GO SOX!!!

2002civic
10-26-2005, 08:38 PM
0-0 good pitchers match so far

heinz256
10-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Chisox world series champs...Anyone see that awesome catch by Uribe in the 9th?

Edwards
10-26-2005, 10:05 PM
YEAH WhiteSOXs! great game!

BigDannyCool
10-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by heinz256
Chisox world series champs...Anyone see that awesome catch by Uribe in the 9th?

he also made the great throw to first for the final out. i said they'd go all the way.

brettg
10-27-2005, 12:14 PM
ya Uribe played so well, that catch was amazing and his throw to end it all was just awsome as well, he might be one of the best short stops in the league, and deffinately the most under rated. he has a canon for an arm.

i have to admit i never though they would sweep but this is just awsome, i think huston days in the sun are over they are just to old.

hockeybronx
10-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Saw the last three innings, I don't know about you guys but for me it was definitely a disapointing playoff this year.

Congrats to Chicago, they did well all season and got the job done in the playoffs... just a bit boring though.

By the way what's up with Frank Thomas, man I didn't know that guy was still alive. I always thought he was quite overrated, so he just rides the pine now and lets his team win the world series? I know I know, he had an ankle injury:rolleyes:

brettg
10-27-2005, 06:26 PM
hes just another one of many who should just retire, i dont no wut it is with athletes, but in baseball this year there were at leats a god 5-6 guys that were just way to old to be still playing, its different if you can still put up some decent numbers, like franco in atlanta can still hit, so thats wut he does, pinch hit, but guys liike bagwell and thomas who are sitting around with a nagging indjury are probably never going to play again, or at least shouldn't.

and i wouldn't say it was boring i would just say that this playoffs was deffinately doiminated buy pitching, a couple of grandslams but for the most part a lot of complete games and not a lot of runs being scored.

either way it was still good to me.