PDA

View Full Version : Asian DVD's in Canada

LUDELVR
10-03-2005, 08:10 AM
I just bought a couple of DVD's and I'm wondering if I can play these back home. I'm pretty sure that I can't but how can I get around this? :dunno: I bought one drift movie from Japan 20 bux and I just bought 3 more movies in Shanghai here for about 2 dollars each!:eek:
1. House of Flying Daggers
2. Kung Fu Hustle
3. Initial D (the real life movie) ;) :thumbsup:

Anyway, if my dvd player doesn't play these movies, how can I get around this?:dunno:

MerfBall
10-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Some DVD players have hacks that can make it region free if it isnt already. Try this site: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

jdmakkord
10-03-2005, 08:35 AM
pick up a philips dvd player for 70 bones, you can unlock it to make it regionless.

cityhunter2501
10-03-2005, 09:42 AM
buy an unknown DVD player brand (ie not sony, JVC, pioneer, etc). mos tof them are region free, or you can go to T&T.

oh, and I bet those dvds you bought are region free since they are pirated copies

ryce_boii
10-03-2005, 11:38 AM
you just need a dvd player that play pal and ntsc thats all

Pihsiak
10-03-2005, 11:42 AM
play it on a DVD ROM or make a copy of it using DVD shrink or Nero where they will let you burn it as a Region 1 DVD.

CivicDXR
10-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
play it on a DVD ROM or make a copy of it using DVD shrink or Nero where they will let you burn it as a Region 1 DVD.

thats what I did with my Initial D Live Action DVD... it is the official release that is for Region 4, I used DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter to make a copy that was Region Free...

Aleks
10-03-2005, 03:44 PM
We just picked up an ACCURA dvd player from Superstore or Walmart for 40 bux! it plays worldwide DVD's and it's got a cool name :rofl:

bksze
10-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Be very wary about bringing in pirated dvds into Canada. IF you are flying through the states and you get busted at customs, I think the fine is somewhere around $1500 per disc. The movies aren't Hollywood blockbusters so they may be somewhat more lenient however the risk still may not be worth the reward.

Team_Mclaren
10-03-2005, 05:03 PM
basiclly pick up the cheapest noname chinese made dvd you can get and it'll play. Or you can mod your high-tech dvd to make it play all region. I have both:D

LUDELVR
10-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
buy an unknown DVD player brand (ie not sony, JVC, pioneer, etc). mos tof them are region free, or you can go to T&T.

oh, and I bet those dvds you bought are region free since they are pirated copies

I'm pretty sure they're not pirated. I bought them from the bookstore and they scanned them and everything. Got a receipt too! haha but if they are region free that would be sweet!

LUDELVR
10-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by bksze
Be very wary about bringing in pirated dvds into Canada. IF you are flying through the states and you get busted at customs, I think the fine is somewhere around $1500 per disc. The movies aren't Hollywood blockbusters so they may be somewhat more lenient however the risk still may not be worth the reward.

Shit, never thought about that! But I'm flying from Bangkok to Taiwan to Vancouver so hopefully I'll be alright! Damn, I totally neglected thinking about fines!! But yah, like I said, I don't think these are pirated but then again, i could be wrong.:dunno:

dragonone
10-15-2005, 01:09 AM
i'll skip the rant about copyright and shit
but if you buy lots at a time, sometime they'll scam you by putting in discs that are empty or discs that have a different movie on them

sure u can go baq but i'm thinking you wouldn't

Team_Mclaren
10-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

Shit, never thought about that! But I'm flying from Bangkok to Taiwan to Vancouver so hopefully I'll be alright! Damn, I totally neglected thinking about fines!! But yah, like I said, I don't think these are pirated but then again, i could be wrong.:dunno:

The only non-priated cd/dvd/vcd you can find in china are the priated ones. :rofl: :rofl:

Landing in Van is the worst, They are the hardest to go through as far as i know. consider everyone from Western Canada lands from there. I usually go SF or LA then back to calgary which seems to be better.

If you dont want to take ANY risk, you can also mail them back here. I know some people do that and its the savest way to go.

GQBalla
10-15-2005, 01:52 AM
you didn't know they were pirated...

Team_Mclaren
10-15-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
you didn't know they were pirated...

you think that excuse hasnt been used? ever???

but i do believe that it is hard for them to prove that the cds are pirated otherwise... May be just show them receipts and stuff... :dunno: :dunno:

GQBalla
10-15-2005, 01:23 PM
of course its been used cept these look so real i didn;t know i was buyin fake movies the guy said they were all real!

LUDELVR
10-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
of course its been used cept these look so real i didn;t know i was buyin fake movies the guy said they were all real!

Yah, the thing is though that I didn't buy these from a guy on the street, I bought them from an actual store, where they even had those magnetic strips to prevent you from stealing anything! ahah, it was also a book store, but whatever, I don't even know if I still have the freaknig receipt! haah :rofl:

How sticky are they on checking your bags and what not?:dunno:

GQBalla
10-18-2005, 01:05 AM
ehhh juss shove them on the bags you check in so you dont have to carry it on and just leave them there dont worry about them

mac_82
10-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

I was fine coming home through Seoul and Vancouver. I bought plenty of movies at the markets in Thailand, no hastles. I just play them on my computer.

cityhunter2501
10-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by mac_82

I was fine coming home through Seoul and Vancouver. I bought plenty of movies at the markets in Thailand, no hastles. I just play them on my computer.

cds/vcds are no problem, but original dvds outside North America have different regions.

so unless you know how to unlock your dvd-rom region, after playing 5 dvds of different region on your dvd-rom, it will lock to the region of the last DVD you played.

C4S
10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
You can buy a mini DVD player from China as well! may cost you $50 .. can play all kind of dvd ..

$2 a disc .. you paid too much :D